Football
Sponsored by

Remembering Frank Fallon

3,123 Views | 26 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Johnny Bear
Yogi
How long do you want to ignore this user?
This is from the Grant Teaff Show following the win against Texas in 1988.

Listen, though, to Fallon's call on Eldwin Raphael's 50 yard TD run.

The Grant Teaff Show, November 19, 1988 - Baylor vs. Texas - YouTube

DanaDane
Not only a great announcer, but a truly great man. Both kind and humble, two traits you don't see very frequently anymore. Helped me get my first job out of college.
No Longer Gold
While at BU, I would call baseball games with him for KWBU.

On the hottest of days he would take a room temp can of DP and put it in the direct sun on the window sill.

About the 7th inning, he'd pick up a couple peanuts, crack em open, throw the shells out the window, pop the can of DP, drop in the peanuts, and spend the remainder of the game sippin on that hot mess of a drink.

Never understood it, but never will forget it.

Great guy, who taught me a lot about the game.
RR/BV
Did our home games on radio at Richfield
Keyser Soze
Muhammad Ali on the kick return
BUGWBBear
Never heard "pop-pass" from him though.

George Stokes always cracked me up on the PA. Every week there'd be a vehicle in the parking lot with the doors locked and engine running...
Media Bear
Swart Dra said:

On the hottest of days he would take a room temp can of DP and put it in the direct sun on the window sill.

About the 7th inning, he'd pick up a couple peanuts, crack em open, throw the shells out the window, pop the can of DP, drop in the peanuts, and spend the remainder of the game sippin on that hot mess of a drink.

Old school Dr Pepper sippin' ...
BellCountyBear
Took a radio class with him in spring of "91. DJ'd at KWBU. Why did they do away with student DJs? Too much of a liability? It was a fun class!
WacoCat
Probably did away with student DJs because one of my fraternity brothers was the Saturday night guy and got too drunk at a party so KWBU was deathly silent for two hours. Oddly enough, he wasn't scheduled for another shift.
Saddle Up!
Frank Fallon and Dr. Stokes were most definitely a pair to draw to. I remember the pride I always felt when I would tune in to the Final Four, and see/hear Frank Fallon's familiar voice doing the court-side PA! I only met him once, while a student at Baylor, in his office, and he was as gracious, and took the time and interest, as he would have if I'd been a celebrity player or VIP. That's the measure of a man, IMHO.
CorsicanaBear
Met him when I was a soph-a-more at BU.
Illigitimus non carborundum
saabing bear
I remember one of his catch phrases: It's a real rock'em sock'em football game!
GruntTuff
A few of Fallon's memorable lines:

"In....and out....of the hands of Derek Davis". In honor of and respect for, Derek Davis, Derek was a wonderful player and a great ambassador for Baylor. Bryan Adams grad, Baylor lawyer, law partner of the great Matt "Mad Dog" Dawson in Corsicana, professor at Truett Seminary and big wig at Mary Hardin Baylor. Great guy.

"Jumps, shoot, scores".....or "Jumps, shoot....off the iron, no good". Fallon called Baylor greats Tommy Bowman, William Chatmon, Terry Teagle, Vinnie Johnson, Michael Williams, and other.

Frank Fallon was fantastic and had a voice that other announcers could only dream of having.

Sadly, the only mistake he made was hiring and training one Dave South, who decamped to Malfunction Junction, A/K/A, College Station, and called Aggie games for decades. But the Aggie loss to Baylor when Shawn Bell found Dominique Ziegler for the TD and two point conversion made up for all the years of hearing Dave South call Aggie wins.
Stranger
Got to be in the air with Frank Fallon twice. The first was in 1971, when Frank interviewed me when I was the publicity director for the very first Bear Downs Student Foundation bike race. We did it live on his KWTX sports show.

The second time was nearly thirty years later when he and Pat Nunley had me on at halftime to talk about the Tommy Penders "tiny towel" night against Texas.

Frank was the ultimate professional and he had the ability to smooth over any blunders I made. A perfect gentleman as well. He was the best announcer in the conference and maybe the nation.
I'm a Bearbacker
Johnny Bear
"..........and the Bears are moving left to right on your radio dial......".

"They'll be hanging from the rafters at the Heart 'O Texas Coliseum tonight....".
PhoenixBear
Frank and Dave South would travel with us to all our basketball games. One time we left Waco heading for Oklahoma to play OCC and Oklahoma State, we had barely cleared the Waco city limits when Frank noticed that our Bus Driver was intoxicated or had a bad hang over. After turning around and waiting for a new driver, we were about 4 hours late leaving Waco. Frank and Coach Menefee would play cards on almost every trip and hardly looked up once they started playing. He was always such a class guy.
Yogi
Swart Dra said:

That was at the old Ferrell Field also. I don't think that trailer house on stilts, pressroom or whatever you called it had AC!
"Smarter than the Average Bear."
Stefano DiMera
Worked 3 yrs on the sidelines doing halftime wnd post game coaches interviews for the old SWC radio network with him.

Helped me get my first 2 jobs after college..always sent a Christmas card every year to me.
Green&GoldStandard
Terry Teagle with the tackle. Check that...Mike Singletary.
bastroposo
I just went and watched that Grant Teaff Show. Brought back great memories. I was at that game. I was 2 years out of Baylor and living in Austin. I attended with a UT girl I was dating. Loved the bragging rights. That kick off into the wind was one of my favorite Baylor plays ever. Thanks for posting it.
Robert Wilson
Great stuff.

In a way, I miss those days of every game not being on TV. Our family would all huddle around the radio and listen to Fallon. His words and my imagination would paint a better picture than watching on TV. Helped you learn the game better than kids watching on TV while watching an iPhone while having lots of fake lines drawn on the TV.

I was at that game. Crazy game. I loved those players in that era - was a great era for me as a kid watching - old enough to understand all the details but not too old to be enamored with the game. That inadvertent onside kick into the air was great stuff.
whitetrash
IIRC, Teaff got the idea for the onside kick into the wind after the same thing happened a couple of weeks earlier against Arkansas. Arky drilled us 33-3, but they poochkicked a kickoff that bounced backwards and they recovered.

I wasn't at the 88 UT game but it was even windier that day than the Arky game, so Teaff tried it and was successful.
Bauctalk
Baylor will be donning the gold bonnets with the green interlocking BU outlined in white. They will be wearing white trousers with green and gold stripes.

That was legendary.

Bauctalk
Also, the only game I have ever seen a punter down his own punt.
Canada2017
Robert Wilson said:

Great stuff.

In a way, I miss those days of every game not being on TV. Our family would all huddle around the radio and listen to Fallon. His words and my imagination would paint a better picture than watching on TV. .

Totally agree.

To me Frank Fallon and the Humble Radio Network were Baylor football . Far more entertaining than the media coverage today . Frank Fallon always made Baylor University sound....classy .

Toss in Blackie Sherrod's newspaper column and the weekly Dallas Morning News cartoon prediction of the football games.....nothing was better than the old Southwest Conference .
HunterBear
Frank Fallon was the KWTX-AM/FM station manager when I worked there. He was as humble, friendly and genuine as one can be. Enjoyable to be around.
Thee University
Digital thermometer
Johnny Bear
Canada2017 said:

Robert Wilson said:

Great stuff.

In a way, I miss those days of every game not being on TV. Our family would all huddle around the radio and listen to Fallon. His words and my imagination would paint a better picture than watching on TV. .

Totally agree.

To me Frank Fallon and the Humble Radio Network were Baylor football . Far more entertaining than the media coverage today . Frank Fallon always made Baylor University sound....classy .

Toss in Blackie Sherrod's newspaper column and the weekly Dallas Morning News cartoon prediction of the football games.....nothing was better than the old Southwest Conference .

The way those old radio broadcasters could paint a word picture for the audience is truly a lost art. The more skilled ones had a gift for making you feel like you were there "seeing" the game even though you were actually just seeing it in your mind.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.