Football
Sponsored by

Malzahn is the new HC at UCF

1,442 Views | 11 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by RegentCoverup
PartyBear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I haven't seen a thread. Just posting if anyone is interested.

Frankly they made a better hire than Tennessee in my view. UCF actually upgraded out of this deal.
whitetrash
"Hey Gus! You just got fired by Auburn with a huge buyout! What next?"

"I'm going to Disney World!"
Grumpy
Not only did UFC likely make a better hire than TN (as the OP observed), the jury is still out but they may have made a better hire than Auburn. Only time will tell.
DanaDane
As I said the day the job opened and it ultimately happened. He was the perfect fit for this job.
ABC BEAR
Do you think anyone in the media would notice if he hired CAB as his OC?
BearFan33
Did UCF hire the ark state AD to deliver GM?
Jorkel
He should be able to win the AAC regularly.
RiskyBizz Bear
I am prepared to give CDA a fair shake, but I too liked the thought of Gus here.

Being in Central TX and with NOT having to compete with the SEC West, I think he could have done a heck of a job.
RegentCoverup
Not sure where anyone gets the idea that Malzahn is some sort of offensive wizard.

he promised that, but never quite delivered.
This site leaks private information to Baylor Regents and Administration
ABC BEAR
TellMeYouLoveMe said:

Not sure where anyone gets the idea that Malzahn is some sort of offensive wizard.

he promised that, but never quite delivered.
HIs fingerprints are all over high school, the college game and the NFL.....hurry-up No Huddle, Wildcat formation, the Spread and Tempo can either be traced back to him or are derivatives of systems he installed in his career. He may be the most copied coach in the game today.
RegentCoverup
But he never threw the ball downfield.

He had some interesting and impressive wins, but Auburn is not a talent poor team and never will be.

Bo Nix is a great QB IMO.
Jorkel
TellMeYouLoveMe said:

He had some interesting and impressive wins, but Auburn is not a talent poor team and never will be.

I agree. His Auburn offense was boring and painfully bad sometimes.
RegentCoverup
Jorkel said:

TellMeYouLoveMe said:

I agree. His Auburn offense was boring and painfully bad sometimes.
I'll be the first to say 'it's complicated. The coach that can rack up points in the SEC will either get paid or join the NFL and not stick around long. this isn't an easy task.

Auburn has loads of talent, great facilities, and a strong fanbase. They felt like Steele did an admirable job on defense, but that they were overpaying for Malzahn and not seeing results.

Auburn now has some of the same problems we had back in the Steele era, they were reaching out to candidates and saying, "We'll offer you a position, but you have to keep this coach, that coach, etc, etc."

Every candidate that heard that hung up the phone. By the time they'd exercised all their options, they accepted a sort of ok candidate and let him have the decision authority.

But Malzahn had been given plenty of time and resources to win and never was very consistent.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.