Football
Sponsored by

OU football player almost loses eye in brawl

7,102 Views | 58 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by RegentCoverup
boognish_bear
How long do you want to ignore this user?

http://www.oudaily.com/sports/ou-football-holder-spencer-jones-recovering-lucky-he-didn-t-lose-the-eye-altogether-after/article_7e1b9f0a-73fc-11eb-b708-73dbdcb9820c.html
BellCountyBear
And they weren't wearing masks!
boognish_bear
That OU article seems like BS saying the OU player was the victim and trying to be the "peacemaker". Him and his buddy were the instigators in that video.
boognish_bear
boognish_bear
BylrFan
Those players get tested at least 2-3 times a week
VaeBear
Nothing like rolling around on a pee soaked floor.
IowaBear
The kid who delivered the beat down is an OU wrestler. Never pick a fight with a wrestler bad idea
boognish_bear
IowaBear said:

The kid who delivered the beat down is an OU wrestler. Never pick a fight with a wrestler bad idea

I read that it was his brother that took down the other dude. Their dad owns a strength training center in Norman and they've studied MMA for 10 years.

That could have ended even uglier than it did.
BUGWBBear
VaeBear said:

Nothing like rolling around on a pee soaked floor.

Yeah. Screw covid
IowaBear
boognish_bear said:

IowaBear said:

I read that it was his brother that took down the other dude. Their dad owns a strength training center in Norman and they've studied MMA for 10 years.

That could have ended even uglier than it did.

Agree could have been way worse. And he was giving up a good 40 pounds to the football player
boognish_bear
The player that got beat up is the same dude that had a viral moment last summer with this crazy shot

Chamberman
boognish_bear said:

That OU article seems like BS saying the OU player was the victim and trying to be the "peacemaker". Him and his buddy were the instigators in that video.

The article is quoting Jones' attorney, who of course trying to paint him as the peacemaker. Obviously Jones bit off more than he could chew.
Baylor3216
They gonna try to take that kids dad's business from him. Watch.

'Merica
BellCountyBear
BylrFan said:

Those players get tested at least 2-3 times a week
Turn off your sarcasm filter.
Singletary63
I had a cousin in Iowa that placed around 5th in state in wrestling in high school. He could defeat most anyone not a wrestler. Bad, bad idea to mess with a wrestler.
Singletary63
RegentCoverup
boognish_bear said:

Football players and frat kids have been getting their asses kicked by the wrestlers in Norman for years, since the 80s and maybe earlier.
And wrestling is a much more gentlemanly sport than many realize, there were many years where wrestling meets between OU and Iowa or Okie State would happen and both sides would go have dinner afterwards.

OUs wrestling community has some good people. But people don't appreciate the sport anymore and this is what happens. Cooler heads should have prevailed but he's not obligated to back down once he was pushed.

Point being, don't ever mess with the wrestlers.
This site leaks private information to Baylor Regents and Administration
BearsRoundBall41
Who's the wrestler? Is he on scolarship?
RegentCoverup
BearsRoundBall41 said:

Braden Brown is his name. That's his brother that's with him. He played football and wrestled in High school in Norman. Their Dad owns a powerlifting gym apparently. He seems like an otherwise good kid.

The OU athlete attended a private school in Nashville.

Hate to see two young people damage their lives like this, but the prep school brat has himself to blame.
Forest Bueller
TellMeYouLoveMe said:

BearsRoundBall41 said:

Braden Brown is his name. That's his brother that's with him. He played football and wrestled in High school in Norman. Their Dad owns a powerlifting gym apparently. He seems like an otherwise good kid.

The OU athlete attended a private school in Nashville.

Hate to see two young people damage their lives like this, but the prep school brat has himself to blame.
Quote:

"Just to get rid of the misconceptions, I'm the fellow in the beanie and that is my brother. We are not wrestlers at any university, we have been wrestling since we were in diapers and cage fighting since we were 12. They gave us no options, unfortunately. We showed restraint," said Braden Brown.
This is what happens when guys who fight and train seriously, get picked on by bullies who are bigger, but have never been in a real fight, much less train for it.

This goes back to the old truth, don't start nothing, won't be nothing. Bet those two don't start nothing again.

Quote:

Braden Brown later clarified that he was the man in the beanie who was fighting Jones' friend as the footballer was being beaten to a pulp by Brown's brother. He also claimed that he and his brother showed restraint but Spencer Jones and his friend gave them no other option but to fight.

ABC BEAR
In the good old days before camera phones, this stuff would be forgotten as quickly as it happened.
boognish_bear

Robert Wilson
Never know when a little dude just might whip your ass - especially if he knows jiu jitsu and you don't.
boognish_bear
Robert Wilson said:

Never know when a little dude just might whip your ass - especially if he knows jiu jitsu and you don't.
Spencer's height advantage quickly became a disadvantage once it turned into a wrestling match.
Robert Wilson
boognish_bear said:

Robert Wilson said:

Spencer's height advantage quickly became a disadvantage once it turned into a wrestling match.
Yep, and inexperienced fighters don't know how to keep a grappler off of them.
Forest Bueller_bf
Robert Wilson said:

My son goes to class/dojo whatever it is preferably called 4 times a week, they alternate jiu jitsu, with Mai tai alternate days. One day they work boxing the next they work ground assault, or what looks like wrestling.

The street sign said xxxxxx MMA up until November, then the owner changed it to xxxxxxDoJo to try to attract more people.

They don't work for belt training, they work for fight training. Of course they are padded up to the max, unless actual tournament competition. Which I do not want my kid getting into, even though the owner says he has KO power both punching and kicking.

Those folks could hurt you really badly if they are good. And these are just the garden variety MMA fighters, like the two guys that destroyed the two frat types.

If they were higher level, or national/professional level good, like the guy that dismantled the UT football player a few years back, this could have been much worse.

Robert Wilson
I've done some BJJ and put my son in it whenever his regular sports are not in season. He's pretty athletic, but he's on the small side (unlike me), and I wanted to make sure he could take care of himself if he was ever getting picked on. I won't say much but will say it came in very handy for him once.

It takes an excellent and experienced striker to keep a good grappler off of them, and there are just almost none of those out walking around. Not none, but not many, and your garden variety bully or loudmouth isn't likely one of them.
RegentCoverup
Some friends know these kids Dad. They're good people.

Kick in and help him if you can.
Forest Bueller_bf
Robert Wilson said:

I've done some BJJ and put my son in it whenever his regular sports are not in season. He's pretty athletic, but he's on the small side (unlike me), and I wanted to make sure he could take care of himself if he was ever getting picked on. I won't say much but will say it came in very handy for him once.

It takes an excellent and experienced striker to keep a good grappler off of them, and there are just almost none of those out walking around. Not none, but not many, and your garden variety bully or loudmouth isn't likely one of them.
You sound like me almost. My son is much smaller than me, but he is very athletic, right now track season is taking more time, but I wanted him to be able to defend himself if a bully cornered him.

My son looks like the last person who would kick your ass. Sweet face, floppy hair, huge smile, MMA man says he doesn't have to worry about almost anybody, he can defend himself. That makes me feel better.

Of course there is always the exception, but for guys like the frat guys, he is good. He was in Tai Kwon Do for years, but the intensity lacked somewhat, not that it couldn't be good. The MMA guys are really serious about being able to fight. I think he's learned more fighting in 8 months of that training, than 5 years of TKD.

I will say this, when he gets home from the MMA guys, he is so ramped up, it takes a while for him to settle back down. They get after it.
Robert Wilson
Forest Bueller_bf said:

Robert Wilson said:

You sound like me almost. My son is much smaller than me, but he is very athletic, right now track season is taking more time, but I wanted him to be able to defend himself if a bully cornered him.

My son looks like the last person who would kick your ass. Sweet face, floppy hair, huge smile, MMA man says he doesn't have to worry about almost anybody, he can defend himself. That makes me feel better.

Of course there is always the exception, but for guys like the frat guys, he is good. He was in Tai Kwon Do for years, but the intensity lacked somewhat, not that it couldn't be good. The MMA guys are really serious about being able to fight. I think he's learned more fighting in 8 months of that training, than 5 years of TKD.

I will say this, when he gets home from the MMA guys, he is so ramped up, it takes a while for him to settle back down. They get after it.
Yeah, that's all I was trying to control for - the junior high or high school loudmouth bully or the drunk ass at a college party. A few months of training and you will handle one of those guys easily. The guys who can really fight don't run around acting like that, as a general rule. The BJJ and MMA guys I've met were a nice, respectful and impressive group (and the more experienced and better they were, the more true this was).
Forest Bueller_bf
Good grief, looked up the BU vs. Liberty crazy loss which was 48-45, guess who scored the last TD against BU that day, as that guy was a walk on at Liberty and then transferred to OU.

Spencer Jones 26 Yd pass from Stephen Calvert (Alex Probert Kick)
Robert Wilson
Buckshot threw a TD to almost every person on the roster.
Wrecks Quan Dough
He might want to go study some Rex Kwon Do. It is only $300 for the eight-week program.
DancinBear09
General rule of thumb is to not be an ******* and start fights...especially if the person you are picking a fight with has cauliflower ears.
ABC BEAR
The guy calling the play-by-play is outstanding. I expect to hear him broadcasting games on the Sooner Network some day. Chortle, Chortle.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.