Football
Sponsored by

Observations from spring roster

1,558 Views | 4 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by RiskyBizz Bear
Ewalker80
How long do you want to ignore this user?
The spring football roster is now up on the website.

There are a bunch of 5th and 6th years listed including the ones we all knew about and Thor Rodoni and Jairon mcvea. Valentin on roster still which we knew from weight lifting award. Would be great to see
Him contribute.

I didn't notice any position changes. No one jumped out as missing.

We have 14 o lineman. Hopefully we can find 8 good ones.

Matt Jones up to 237 will be a load. Randolph over 265. I wonder what his position is in this defense. Jack?

I'm sure others can make additional observations.
Ewalker80
Brooks Miller listed at OLB. Recruited as a 195 lb safety and now up to 228 (actually. Will be interesting to see if he fights for playing time in deep linebacking core.

To my eye the thinnest position in terms of numbers is "DL". Have 5 listed, which doesn't even give us a 3-deep. Maybe a target for transfer portal for depth there. Along with of course an upgrade at OL if available.
EasyE
It sure seems like they have the classifications messed up. They have some guys like Neal listed as a true sophomore when last year was his first season, and others who were freshman are listed as redshirt freshman when they shouldn't be. All players from the 2020 class should still be listed as freshman if I understood the conditions correctly that no one would lose a year of eligibility. Please correct me if I am wrong.
Ewalker80
EasyE said:

It sure seems like they have the classifications messed up. They have some guys like Neal listed as a true sophomore when last year was his first season, and others who were freshman are listed as redshirt freshman when they shouldn't be. All players from the 2020 class should still be listed as freshman if I understood the conditions correctly that no one would lose a year of eligibility. Please correct me if I am wrong.

From the fact they are listing people as 6th years it is clear they are listing them based on what they would be next year, rather than keeping their classification the same based on the extra year of eligibility. And the reality is that many of these underclass men likely are not going to be able to actually use the extra year because the limit on scholarships will be reinstated. For most of them the extra year will be theoretical only.
EasyE
Ewalker80 said:

EasyE said:

From the fact they are listing people as 6th years it is clear they are listing them based on what they would be next year, rather than keeping their classification the same based on the extra year of eligibility. And the reality is that many of these underclass men likely are not going to be able to actually use the extra year because the limit on scholarships will be reinstated. For most of them the extra year will be theoretical only.
Yeah, it seems like they are ignoring the free year rule and the 4 game no redshirt required rule and only recognizing those who are receiving the 6th year of eligibility.
RiskyBizz Bear
Will be interesting to see how the effect of the 2020 season, along with the transfer portal, will effect rosters the next couple years.

Not counting 2020 will really only be a big factor for seniors wanting to come back. If a freshman is a stud, after 2-3 years playing, he'll go pro just like before. The "extra" year won't ever get to a lot of folks. ...unless some of those middle of the pack kids just want another year of pain and glory.

If 2020 was your Soph or Jr year, and you are battling for playing time, come 2023 your scholarship just may not be there for you anymore. ...or a youngster may chase you off to the transfer portal.

This will start to look a lot more like pro free agency year by year.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.