Football
Sponsored by

Spring quarterback battle thread

17,529 Views | 102 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Mitch Henessey
boognish_bear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
DanaDane said:

Shapen continuing to impress Grimes and staff during these Spring practices. Gonna be a lot of shocked fans who thought it was a Zeno-Bohanon battle when they see the QB who lines up for the first snap against Texas State on Sept 4th.

What a kick in the nuts for Zeno and Bohanon if they get leapfrogged by someone that was not even recruited after they've waited patiently for so long.

It's the nature of sports....we need to go with whoever gives us the best chance to win....but that would suck for those guys.
BrutalBear
boognish_bear said:

DanaDane said:

Shapen continuing to impress Grimes and staff during these Spring practices. Gonna be a lot of shocked fans who thought it was a Zeno-Bohanon battle when they see the QB who lines up for the first snap against Texas State on Sept 4th.

What a kick in the nuts for Zeno and Bohanon if they get leapfrogged by someone that was not even recruited after they've waited patiently for so long.

It's the nature of sports....we need to go with whoever gives us the best chance to win....but that would suck for those guys.

I'm calling Zeno as the starter as of now.
Ewalker80
BrutalBear said:

boognish_bear said:

DanaDane said:

I will be absolutely shocked if it's shapen. That decision would risk clearing out your entire quarterback room, and how could he possibly show enough separation in practices to Justify that? Particularly when Zeno and bohanon both have stronger arms than he does and bohanon is a bigger running threat.

My percentages right now based on what I've heard would be about 70 percent Zeno and 25 percent bohanon. The chances it is someone else are exceedingly small.

Whoever doesn't win out of bohanon and Zeno also likely gets a ton of playing time early next season and a chance to prove they are the guy on the field.
JumboShrimper
I'd be shocked if it isn't Zeno or Bohanon. I'm about 60-70% sure Zeno wins the starting job but I could be wrong.
CaliByWayOfKS
Is Shapen still playing baseball at Baylor?
BUbackerinET
Shapen is a tremendous athlete with a nice arm, and good precision. Not sure they will turn it over too him, however, as there is total lack of experience at this level. Think it's more likely we see Zeno start, with Bohanon in special sets, and Shapen in second half of some games. I think they will try to RS Drones, although he clearly has the biggest upside to the group, IMO.
BUbackerinET
We would lose both to the portal.
boognish_bear
Jorkel
Ewalker80 said:

BrutalBear said:

boognish_bear said:

DanaDane said:

I will be absolutely shocked if it's shapen. That decision would risk clearing out your entire quarterback room, and how could he possibly show enough separation in practices to Justify that? Particularly when Zeno and bohanon both have stronger arms than he does and bohanon is a bigger running threat.

My percentages right now based on what I've heard would be about 70 percent Zeno and 25 percent bohanon. The chances it is someone else are exceedingly small.

Whoever doesn't win out of bohanon and Zeno also likely gets a ton of playing time early next season and a chance to prove they are the guy on the field.

What do you mean how could he show enough separation in practice? Isn't that where players battle for spots? I don't know a whole lot about what's going on during these spring practices but what if he is just playing better than Zeno or GB?
Ewalker80
Jorkel said:

Ewalker80 said:

BrutalBear said:

boognish_bear said:

DanaDane said:

What do you mean how could he show enough separation in practice? Isn't that where players battle for spots? I don't know a whole lot about what's going on during these spring practices but what if he is just playing better than Zeno or GB?

The margins between players in more difficult to discern in practice when you aren't hitting quarterbacks. If shapen has any edge it will be in elusiveness and off schedule throws, an advantage that is particularly difficult to demonstrate during practice. Charlie was the superior qb his freshman year but couldn't show it until games started. Vince young was worlds better than chance mock but didn't start until mid season.
BaylorRocks
Positive Bear said:

I'd be shocked if it isn't Zeno or Bohanon. I'm about 60-70% sure Zeno wins the starting job but I could be wrong.
The best QB should start - period.

The tenure entitlement BS is what had the offense struggling with Brewer last season. Now that that's behind us, and he's moved on, it should be greenfield for best available - period.
Ewalker80
zunooreo said:

Positive Bear said:

The best QB should start - period.

The tenure entitlement BS is what had the offense struggling with Brewer last season. Now that that's behind us, and he's moved on, it should be greenfield for best available - period.
Coaches ALWAYS say the best players will play. That's of course true to an extent. However, in real life, from what I've seen, there's typically a preference given to seniority in college sports (even controlling for experience/trust) because it's bad for morale of the team as a whole when older guys to get passed up my younger guys. This is even a more pronounced issue now because of the transfer portal.

Of course seniority will only go so far because more than anything else the coaches want to win and have enormous pressure to do so, but (from what I've typically seen) seniority is going to act as a kind of "tiebreaker" for that reason. If it's not close, of course the better younger players will play every time and at every school.

And for QBs in particular, it's very difficult to separate one scholarship D1 from another except in live games. Case in point --- Tom Brady is probably the best QB of all time, but in college he probably didn't look much better in practice than any other scholarship t QB on his team (hence not winning the job until late in his career). QB is so much about decision making under pressure and pocket presence and being cool at crunch time---- things that are very difficult to simulate in practice. The physical tools have to be there but it's these hidden characteristics in their brains and internal makeup that separates the average from the good, the good from the great, and the great from the Brady's and those who have 15 year successful careers. Heck it's even (with all the tools and measuring and analysis in the world) very difficult to project whether a great college QB will translate to the NFL, much less from the practice field to the playing field in college.

In Baylor's situation, separating these three is even more difficult b/c the QBs have such different skill sets. GB's biggest strength is that he's hard to tackle, but you can't tackle any of them in practice so that's not a differentiator. By contrast, if a true freshman linebacker comes in and lights the world on fire, that's much easier to see because the difference between practice and game performance is much less pronounced for that position.

So sure, the coaches will say the best QB will play, and that's certainly true to an extent. But given the realities of QB selection in general and Baylor's analysis in particular, I will still be shocked if anyone but Zeno or GB starts game one. If an underclassmen takes over it will likely be because they show during ACTUAL GAMES that they are superior, because it's so difficult to overcome the seniority factor in practice.

[p.s., the coaches also of course want to maximize the chance that all three competing QBs give maximum effort improving over the summer, not simply as a pretext, but because history shows us there's a high chance we'll say all of them with significant playing time in the fall. That is true for most seasons, but particularly so when there is not an established incumbent).
Buttpanda
Not sure if this Shapen buzz is legit, but after watching his highlights I think he's the closest thing we have to a Zach WIlson/Justin Fields type of QB. He's quick, fast, and has a cannon of an arm. Zeno has a cannon but doesn't have the quickness (that I know of, I could be wrong). Gerry has the running ability but not the accuracy. Because of that, I could see Shapen being the best QB for Grimes' system. All that being said, my money would still be on Zeno but I won't be surprised if it's Shapen.
SammyJ
Have you gone to any scrimmages? Shapen may be our least athletic QB. He has shown any ability to move in the pocket. It's okay to pull for Shapen, but athleticism and in the same sentence as Justin Fields . You probably would be surprise which QB has the fastest 40 or highest vertical.
Ewalker80
SammyJ said:

Have you gone to any scrimmages? Shapen may be our least athletic QB. He has shown any ability to move in the pocket. It's okay to pull for Shapen, but athleticism and in the same sentence as Justin Fields . You probably would be surprise which QB has the fastest 40 or highest vertical.

Gb has reported 40 time of 4.69 and Zeno at 4.7 out of high school. With his size and wiggle gb is a big time run threat at that speed, as you could see glimpses of early 2019 before his injury. Zeno seems like the kind that would run just enough to keep defenses honest and is more slender in his frame. I have heard shapen's athleticism described in terms of making throws on run and with different arm angles, like you would expect from a short stop, not in terms of speed I can't imagine you would run him much by design unless you wanted to kill him like we did Charlie. I've heard someone on the team rave about zeno's arm strength but never heard anyone mention his speed. To my eye his speed and quickness are kind of average for a d1 qb but his game is his huge arm.
Doc Holliday
Ewalker80 said:

SammyJ said:

Gb has reported 40 time of 4.69 and Zeno at 4.7 out of high school.
Wow. Didn't realize they were that slow. Zeno should be 4.5 given his size. I think RG3 hit 4.41 back in the day.
Ewalker80
Doc Holliday said:

Ewalker80 said:

SammyJ said:

Wow. Didn't realize they were that slow. Zeno should be 4.5 given his size. I think RG3 hit 4.41 back in the day.

Rg3 before injured was likely the fastest qb in college football history, or at least in the mix. Mahomes ran a 4.8 at nfl combine by comparison. Vince young ran a 4.58 at nfl combine and was the greatest running qb I have seen in my lifetime by a landslide. Both Baylor qbs are far from slow but being running threat is about much more than straight line speed. Gb is a legit running threat because of size and agility, along with very good speed for his size.
Doc Holliday
Ewalker80 said:

Doc Holliday said:

Ewalker80 said:

SammyJ said:

Rg3 before injured was likely the fastest qb in college football history, or at least in the mix. Mahomes ran a 4.8 at nfl combine by comparison. Vince young ran a 4.58 at nfl combine and was the greatest running qb I have seen in my lifetime by a landslide. Both Baylor qbs are far from slow but being running threat is about much more than straight line speed. Gb is a legit running threat because of size and agility, along with very good speed for his size.
As long as they have pocket awareness, they're plenty fast. I just figured being a small guy that Zeno would be closer to 4.5,
Ewalker80
Doc Holliday said:

Ewalker80 said:

Doc Holliday said:

Ewalker80 said:

SammyJ said:

As long as they have pocket awareness, they're plenty fast. I just figured being a small guy that Zeno would be closer to 4.5,
For some more context, according to one site there are only about 6 starting NFL QBs with faster 40-times right now. Prescott also 4.8 and a legitimate running threat. Baylor has a very athletic QB room right now. the key is finding the athlete that can consistently run the offense.

https://www.reddit.com/r/nfl/comments/bkfekf/oc_list_of_all_starting_nfl_qbs_40yard_dash_times/

Average NFL QB has 40-time of 4.93 according to one site.
boognish_bear
Ewalker80 said:

Doc Holliday said:

Ewalker80 said:

SammyJ said:

How fast is Lamar Jackson....he looks like he has jets
Buttpanda
SammyJ said:

Unfortunately no, but I'll be at the Green & Gold game on Saturday. Looking forward to it.

I'm just going off of tape and what I remember from watching Zeno over the past couple of years. I'm not really saying Shapen is comparable to Wilson or Fields at the moment, just that he moves and plays the most similar to them of all our QB's. Maybe Brewer is a better comparison, given the size. But I really like what I've seen from Shapen on tape and what I've heard about him by posters on here. I know everyone expects the job to go to Zeno or Gerry (probably Zeno) but I'm just saying I wouldn't be surprised if Shapen gave them a run for their money.
Jorkel
boognish_bear said:

Ewalker80 said:

Doc Holliday said:

Ewalker80 said:

SammyJ said:

I don't have any stats but eye test for me. Mike Vick, Lamar Jackson, RG3 probably the fastest QBs I've ever seen.
guadalupeoso
Jorkel said:

boognish_bear said:

Ewalker80 said:

Doc Holliday said:

Ewalker80 said:

SammyJ said:

I don't have any stats but eye test for me. Mike Vick, Lamar Jackson, RG3 probably the fastest QBs I've ever seen.
Kyler Murray gotta be in that conversation as well.
SammyJ
That is a heck of a 4 x 100 relay as well. I think it's more about knowing when to extend plays and being an opportunistic runner. Mahomes isn't a blazer, but he is great at extending plays giving his WRs/TEs the opportunity to get open. Steve McNair was a 4.7s guy and look at Brady. I found a YouTube on Zeno and he has done more than I realized with his opportunities:

I just hope we can get a OLine transfer or two help whoever is going to be QB1. Our Defense is going to be real good.
Jorkel
guadalupeoso said:

Jorkel said:

boognish_bear said:

Ewalker80 said:

Doc Holliday said:

Ewalker80 said:

SammyJ said:

Kyler Murray gotta be in that conversation as well.

He is definitely the quickest and shiftiest with his feet. I don't know about pure speed though. But yah add him in there
Waco1947
SammyJ said:

That is a heck of a 4 x 100 relay as well. I think it's more about knowing when to extend plays and being an opportunistic runner. Mahomes isn't a blazer, but he is great at extending plays giving his WRs/TEs the opportunity to get open. Steve McNair was a 4.7s guy and look at Brady. lol I found a YouTube on Zeno and he has done more than I realized with his opportunities:

I just hope we can get a OLine transfer or two help whoever is going to be QB1. Our Defense is going to be real good.
Is there a GB collection?
Ewalker80
Waco1947 said:

SammyJ said:

That is a heck of a 4 x 100 relay as well. I think it's more about knowing when to extend plays and being an opportunistic runner. Mahomes isn't a blazer, but he is great at extending plays giving his WRs/TEs the opportunity to get open. Steve McNair was a 4.7s guy and look at Brady. lol I found a YouTube on Zeno and he has done more than I realized with his opportunities:

Here are Gerry's highlights from 2019.
boognish_bear
Ewalker80 said:

Waco1947 said:

SammyJ said:

I just don't understand why we could never get Gerry in for a few series for change of pace this year...or at least occasional WildBear plays.
Ewalker80
boognish_bear said:

Ewalker80 said:

Waco1947 said:

SammyJ said:

I just don't understand why we could never get Gerry in for a few series for change of pace this year...or at least occasional WildBear plays.
I have no idea. There's a story there that hopefully someone will tell someday --- were we trying to keep Charlie from leaving? Was it something with morale? In any case, if Zeno wins the job I'm a huge proponent of keeping Gerry in for some short yardage/goal line/change up packages. Imagine trying to stop GB in a wild bear or in a package with Qualan as a run/block option on a short yardage/goal line set. Great change up and would also keep the more slender Zeno from taking some huge hits. Put GB in to take the big hits on short yardage. And who knows maybe you need him sometimes to get the running game going. Also something else that the defense needs to prepare against because he is really a completely different kind of threat. In my view not figuring out some way to use him last year was coaching malpractice (as it would be not to find some way to use his talents next year), unless there is something to the story I don't understand.
Robert Wilson
boognish_bear said:

Ewalker80 said:

Waco1947 said:

SammyJ said:

Tough when we've got a bad OL and our former OC had everyone running laterally all the time. Bohanon is strong and fast, but he is not quick - he's got to go north/south.
DanaDane
Love the silly claims of "athleticism" and its requirement to be a great QB. Yeah, Bryce Petty was ready to either run the 100 meters in the Olympics or play in the NBA with his incredible "athleticism."

His lack of RG3 speed and athleticism really killed us in 2013 and 2014 when we weren't any good, right? Oh wait.....................................
Waco1947
Ewalker80 said:

Waco1947 said:

SammyJ said:

Thank you
Jorkel
DanaDane said:

Love the silly claims of "athleticism" and its requirement to be a great QB. Yeah, Bryce Petty was ready to either run the 100 meters in the Olympics or play in the NBA with his incredible "athleticism."

His lack of RG3 speed and athleticism really killed us in 2013 and 2014 when we weren't any good, right? Oh wait.....................................

I suppose it's a bonus to be athletic, and depends on which Oline you are playing behind.
Mitch Henessey
boognish_bear said:

Ewalker80 said:

Waco1947 said:

SammyJ said:

We did have GB run a read option on the goalline on the final drive against WVU last year. He ran straight into the back of his lead blocker and got stuffed. If he reads the block and does literally anything other than what he did, he walks into the endzone and we win that game.

Still can't believe the 4th down play on that drive want ruled a TD on the field. Officiating malpractice.
Ewalker80
Mitch Henessey said:

boognish_bear said:

Ewalker80 said:

Waco1947 said:

SammyJ said:

We did have GB run a read option on the goalline on the final drive against WVU last year. He ran straight into the back of his lead blocker and got stuffed. If he reads the block and does literally anything other than what he did, he walks into the endzone and we win that game.

Still can't believe the 4th down play on that drive want ruled a TD on the field. Officiating malpractice.
I had forgotten GB had that one carry. I also remember thinking when they put CB back in on 3d and 4th down --- if they had left GB in there is no way they stop him 3x in a row from that close. Plus it would have kept CB from getting killed on short yardage all season. Maybe the season has a whole different trajectory if we win that game, which we absolutely should have done despite how inept the offense was. But alas I'm glad we're here now with a OC that is a much better fit for Aranda and this league and this team.
Page 2 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.