Football
Sponsored by

Spring quarterback battle thread

17,351 Views | 102 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Mitch Henessey
Ewalker80
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Ok so the first reports are in. From Bryce Cherry-Zeno and Gerry are both "zipping it." Craig Smoak says drones an impressive physical specimen. I know we will be glued to any reports, rumors or shadows of rumors. Should be the most anticipated qb spring battle in a long time (maybe briles first year?-although in that year I'll note the opening day starter didn't last long; same in Rhule's first year)
Timbear
Would not be surprised if Bo and Zeno split time in our first 3 games to sort out the starter.
boognish_bear
I'm just here to say how damn happy I am that we are having Spring practice. LFG!

boognish_bear
boognish_bear
dave714
GB should be ready to change positions. I think Zeno will be the starter.
Ewalker80
dave714 said:

GB should be ready to change positions. I think Zeno will be the starter.

Gb is every bit as much in the mix as Zeno. People need to remember gerry flashed some very good things early last year before injury and brings a running dynamic Zeno doesn't. Throw out what you saw from Gerry in big 12 championship game when injured. Sure Zeno is a more polished passer but it will be a very close competition in my view. A lot of it will depend on what grimes wants to emphasize in his offense. Might not be truly sorted out until some time in the fall after live bullets start flying.
guadalupeoso
My prediction is that G-Bo will be the starter. He doesn't possess the throwing mechanics that Zeno does, but is a bigger body and a bigger run threat. Think that will be an important element given the likely fact that our offensive line will still be a little underwhelming. I expect them to be improved from last year, but I still think that having a qb run threat as a part of the game plan to mask some deficiencies in the o-line will be necessary. Excited about the battle going forward though and will be fully behind whoever wins the spot!
Doc Holliday
I'm more excited to have an actual line which allows every QB to be their best.
Ewalker80
guadalupeoso said:

My prediction is that G-Bo will be the starter. He doesn't possess the throwing mechanics that Zeno does, but is a bigger body and a bigger run threat. Think that will be an important element given the likely fact that our offensive line will still be a little underwhelming. I expect them to be improved from last year, but I still think that having a qb run threat as a part of the game plan to mask some deficiencies in the o-line will be necessary. Excited about the battle going forward though and will be fully behind whoever wins the spot!
the last few years at BYU Wilson averaged about 70 rushes a year, about half of what Brewer has averaged by comparison. I don't think that means that Grimes won't use QB running more than he has in the past if he has a more dynamic/durable runner like Bohanon, who is both bigger and faster than Wilson (according to the 40-times I found online). GB put up nearly 100 yards in less than a half last year against a respectable UTSA defense), which is a threat that not many quarterbacks have (even Brewer was never really a threat to dominate a game on the ground and trying to run him as much as we did for an entire season was virtually negligent homicide). I believe Zeno and GB will both have the arm strength to make the big throws down field on play action that make the RVO a real threat, but GB will have to show his arm talent is close enough to Zeno's that his (presumably) superior running ability makes up the difference. Again, I don't think it's likely you can really determine the winner completely in non-contact because much of what makes GB special is he is very tough to tackle b/c of his size/speed/agility combo (which I believe is potentially comparable to someone like Jalen Hurts), unless Zeno shows that his "arm talent" is far superior.
guadalupeoso
Ewalker80 said:

guadalupeoso said:

the last few years at BYU Wilson averaged about 70 rushes a year, about half of what Brewer has averaged by comparison. I don't think that means that Grimes won't use QB running more than he has in the past if he has a more dynamic/durable runner like Bohanon, who is both bigger and faster than Wilson (according to the 40-times I found online). GB put up nearly 100 yards in less than a half last year against a respectable UTSA defense), which is a threat that not many quarterbacks have (even Brewer was never really a threat to dominate a game on the ground and trying to run him as much as we did for an entire season was virtually negligent homicide). I believe Zeno and GB will both have the arm strength to make the big throws down field on play action that make the RVO a real threat, but GB will have to show his arm talent is close enough to Zeno's that his (presumably) superior running ability makes up the difference. Again, I don't think it's likely you can really determine the winner completely in non-contact because much of what makes GB special is he is very tough to tackle b/c of his size/speed/agility combo (which I believe is potentially comparable to someone like Jalen Hurts), unless Zeno shows that his "arm talent" is far superior.
I agree with all of that. I think that the gap in their throwing will be smaller than the gap in their running ability (which is taking into account all of those factors you mentioned like size and toughness, not just speed). But if Zeno is the far superior thrower, then I think you have to go with him. But from what we've seen, I'm not ready to say that Zeno is the "far" superior thrower, but I am ready to say that GB is the better runner/ tougher to tackle/etc.
Robert Wilson
I think GB's release is too slow and his pocket presence just isn't there - he does not get the ball out. I predict Zeno wins the job based on arm talent and ability in the pocket. I'd like to see GB moved around some and used like a swiss army knife a la Taysom Hill.
BearnMI
Just give Reliable, Violent Offense.
Jorkel
I watched Zach Wilson's highlights and pro day...I hope one of the QBs on our roster can sniff as good as he is.
boognish_bear
DanaDane
Neither one has asserted himself? That doesn't sound good.
Ewalker80
DanaDane said:

I take that to mean he is open to someone asserting himself at some point in the spring. I would imagine that would be at the end if ever. Not much point in naming a starter early in the spring. Certainly not after the first few practices.
BrutalBear
DanaDane said:

There have literally been 3 practices.
Bruin92
If Bohannon is the starter.....it could be a really long year. I appreciate how Gerry has filled in at times at QB...but I just don't think he has the mechanics or accuracy to be a starting QB in P5.
Ewalker80
Bruin92 said:

If Bohannon is the starter.....it could be a really long year. I appreciate how Gerry has filled in at times at QB...but I just don't think he has the mechanics or accuracy to be a starting QB in P5.

I'm not sure how anyone can make that judgment because no one outside the team has seen Gerry throw in a game in two years. I'm sure the coaches have been continuing to work with him on his mechanics and accuracy. And most of what people remember about his throwing comes from the big 12 championship game when he was injured and it badly impacted his mobility. I also believe if he was so flawed mechanically that he couldn't be a productive starter (1) he wouldn't have been ahead of Zeno at end of 2019 season and (2) the coaches would have told him to adapt or change positions in 2019 or 2020. The last staff was expert at getting guys into their best position. I don't know who will win the job but I don't think anyone has enough data to count Gerry out. We were all thrilled when he committed here and he has shown flashes of game changing athleticism. Now he is going into his fourth year so it's basically now or never in all likelihood.
chorne68
Ewalker80 said:

Bruin92 said:

I'm not sure how anyone can make that judgment because no one outside the team has seen Gerry throw in a game in two years. I'm sure the coaches have been continuing to work with him on his mechanics and accuracy. And most of what people remember about his throwing comes from the big 12 championship game when he was injured and it badly impacted his mobility. I also believe if he was so flawed mechanically that he couldn't be a productive starter (1) he wouldn't have been ahead of Zeno at end of 2019 season and (2) the coaches would have told him to adapt or change positions in 2019 or 2020. The last staff was expert at getting guys into their best position. I don't know who will win the job but I don't think anyone has enough data to count Gerry out. We were all thrilled when he committed here and he has shown flashes of game changing athleticism. Now he is going into his fourth year so it's basically now or never in all likelihood.
I agree with this statement. I think Zeno is our best choice but I said after the first several games that the Lady Bears would be lucky to win the Big 12 much less have a late run in the NCAA. I have been wrong before and will let the coaches judge without my help.
Shakesbear
Bruin92 said:

I'll defer to the coaches reasoning abilities come August
Retreat Hell! We just got here! The 2/5
Ewalker80
Some great stuff from Grimes on the QB battle in his interview --- link in different thread. https://sicem365.com/s/9313/watch-baylor-oc-jeff-grimes-te-ben-sims-visit-with-media/2

My takeaways

(1) likely won't be a starter named unless there is a VERY clear #1. He said this is particularly true with a new offense, so I think the chance of a Spring starter being named is small. If there is one named, it means they have left every on else in the dust.
(2) he spoke the most about wanting intangibles from his quarterback --- confidence, toughness, leadership (contrast someone like Leach, who could list his 5 most important QB physical characteristics in order). Grimes himself exudes all of these things, so I predict we have a starting QB in the fall that does the same.
boognish_bear
In 2017 Anu Solomon was our opening game starter and in 2018 we started the season with Brewer and Jalan McClendon as dual QBs.

All that to say....September may get here and it still might not be totally clear.
KIA
boognish_bear said:

In 2017 Anu Solomon was our opening game starter and in 2018 we started the season with Brewer and Jalan McClendon as dual QBs.

All that to say....September may get here and it still might not be totally clear.
We had a coach who didn't understand how to manage QB's ...
Ewalker80
KIA said:

boognish_bear said:

We had a coach who didn't understand how to manage QB's ...

I think rhule and Geoff Nixon etc saw the same limitations in Charlie we saw his whole career - lack of size and strength. Rhule would have loved a prototypical nfl talent like Jalen McClendon but he just wasn't a good enough quarterback so he settled for Charlie as the best available option despite his limitations. Yet he always gave those raw guys every chance to succeed. He always hoped someone like anu or Jalan with more upside would grow into the job. Just like every position he preferred guys that were raw with higher upside he thought he could coach up. Gerry an example of that. Probably zeno to some extent as well.
Ewalker80
Shawn Bell interview continues to confirm my belief this competition will stretch into the fall. I also think this will ultimately be Grimes/Aranda decision, with input of course from Bell. I was surprised how complimentary Bell was of Shapen, which makes me think he's legitimately in the race. He started off talkin about GB first "because of seniority," but wanted to talk about JZ and GB as a pair. In my mind these coaches would prefer the winner to be GB or JZ, but are open to the idea that BS could surprise them. I suspect they think it would be bad for QB room morale for KD to win, although I have no doubt they'll start the best QB regardless of age if there is clearly one that is better. Appreciated the insightful interview. Will be very interesting to get more notes from practices on who is playing best and getting the most time with the ones.
DanaDane
Seems to me in an instance like this it would be really stupid to name a starter now, which then potentially sends off a chain of events that leads to transfers, when you could continue to call it a competition into the Fall and all QBs remain at Baylor and focused on winning the job.

My earlier comment was tongue in cheek because that was immediately what came to mind when he said no one had asserted himself.
boognish_bear
Ewalker80
Those crafty coaches rolled shapen out first with ones on Saturday open practice. I suspect to keep us from guessing Zeno or Gerry is currently in the lead. The coaches and players seem like they are thoroughly trained always to mention Gerry and Zeno as a pair, if not to throw shapen, or shapen and drones in as well. It sounded like Zeno had the best day at the first open practice. Will be interesting to see if that pattern continues next week and at the spring game. It sounds like the coaches will make every effort to at least keep up the appearance of an open completion beyond the spring.
boognish_bear

For The First Time Since 2017 The Baylor QB Race is Wide Open

Matt Roberts

WACO For the first time since 2017 Charlie Brewer does not enter Spring Practice with a leg up to be the team's starting quarterback and that has left the door wide open for Gerry Bohanon, Jacob Zeno and Blake Shapen.

"I was excited just to know that I could come in, compete at a high level and show what I can do," Bohanon said. "And just to get in the room with those guys, we all know that we're going to push each other to be better so we bring the best out of each other."

Sophomore quarterback Jacob Zeno said while it's a competition all the quarterbacks are rooting for the other to have success.

"We're all friends," Zeno said. "We joke around, we hang out outside of football, but we're competitive, and we push each other to be better every day."

Freshman Blake Shapen came to Baylor to play Football and baseball but since, has decided to focus solely on football with a chance to compete for the starting nod.

"It's fun to be able to come out here and not have something just given to you," Shapen said. "You have to work for it and put in extra time. So, it's been it's been real fun."
BaylorRocks
Laughing
ABC BEAR
DanaDane said:

Both are getting accustom to the feel of not having a clipboard in one hand.
BearTruth
boognish_bear said:

Culture of JOY
DanaDane
Shapen continuing to impress Grimes and staff during these Spring practices. Gonna be a lot of shocked fans who thought it was a Zeno-Bohanon battle when they see the QB who lines up for the first snap against Texas State on Sept 4th.
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.