Football
Sponsored by

Spring quarterback battle thread

17,346 Views | 102 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Mitch Henessey
Ewalker80
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Here are takeaways from Aranda podcast with J-Mo on Wednesday. Posted additional thoughts on separate thread but trying to keep all the QB battle info in one place so repeating that part here.

Aranda indicated he expects the QB decision to be made in fall camp, but will reassess after scrimmage. Said Drones has "one of the if not the strongest arm on the team" and is an "incredible athlete." Great unity in QB room. Bohanon can show off his arm on play action. Zeno good in pocket and anticipating throws. Shapen good when out of the pocket and hurry-up type situations (remind us of anyone), but also said Shapen has a "lively arm" (different from anyone we remember?).
boognish_bear
Ewalker80 said:

Here are takeaways from Aranda podcast with J-Mo on Wednesday. Posted additional thoughts on separate thread but trying to keep all the QB battle info in one place so repeating that part here.

Aranda indicated he expects the QB decision to be made in fall camp, but will reassess after scrimmage. Said Drones has "one of the if not the strongest arm on the team" and is an "incredible athlete." Great unity in QB room. Bohanon can show off his arm on play action. Zeno good in pocket and anticipating throws. Shapen good when out of the pocket and hurry-up type situations (remind us of anyone), but also said Shapen has a "lively arm" (different from anyone we remember?).

Thanks for the summary
Jorkel
Ewalker80 said:

Maybe Shapen is closer to Baker Mayfield than Charlie...we can hope anyways.
boognish_bear
Jorkel said:

Ewalker80 said:

Well....except off the field hopefully
Jorkel
boognish_bear said:

Jorkel said:

Ewalker80 said:

Well....except off the field hopefully

Sure without the off field issues. But mobile, live arm, out of pocket accuracy. Maybe a little chip on the shoulder swagger.
Waco1947
Mitch Henessey said:

boognish_bear said:

Ewalker80 said:

Waco1947 said:

SammyJ said:

That is a heck of a 4 x 100 relay as well. I think it's more about knowing when to extend plays and being an opportunistic runner. Mahomes isn't a blazer, but he is great at extending plays giving his WRs/TEs the opportunity to get open. Steve McNair was a 4.7s guy and look at Brady. lol I found a YouTube on Zeno and he has done more than I realized with his opportunities:

I just hope we can get a OLine transfer or two help whoever is going to be QB1. Our Defense is going to be real good.
Is there a GB collection?

Here are Gerry's highlights from 2019.
I just don't understand why we could never get Gerry in for a few series for change of pace this year...or at least occasional WildBear plays.
We did have GB run a read option on the goalline on the final drive against WVU last year. He ran straight into the back of his lead blocker and got stuffed. If he reads the block and does literally anything other than what he did, he walks into the endzone and we win that game.

Still can't believe the 4th down play on that drive want ruled a TD on the field. Officiating malpractice.
My high school coach "Waco, keep your head up when you hit the line!"
Ewalker80
Ok. Now that the spring game is over how does everyone handicap this race? Based on everything i'be heard I would say it's

Bohanon 50 percent
Zeno 45 percent
Shapen/drones 5 percent.

They are clearly in a tight race and Gerry has a few tough breakers.

(1) he is the best runner and a little running threat and occasional deep ball might be all you need to win quite a few games with our defense.
(2) oldest. Least likely to make anyone transfer.
(3) less likely to get injured than Zeno or shapen which decreases your risk.
DanaDane
I'm glad you're a fan and not a coach because no self respecting coach worth anything gives a sh** about your #2 and #3 when they're deciding who should lead a football team.
Jorkel
Ewalker80 said:

Ok. Now that the spring game is over how does everyone handicap this race? Based on everything i'be heard I would say it's

Bohanon 50 percent
Zeno 45 percent
Shapen/drones 5 percent.

(1) he is the best runner and a little running threat and occasional deep ball might be all you need to win quite a few games with our defense.

Less likely to get injured? Hasn't GB been injured more than any QB on the roster?
Ewalker80
Jorkel said:

Ewalker80 said:

Bohanon 50 percent
Zeno 45 percent
Shapen/drones 5 percent.

Less likely to get injured? Hasn't GB been injured more than any QB on the roster?

If so I'm most aware of it. Only injury I'm aware of is 2019 in season injury that limited him in the big 12 championship game. I continue to be convinced most of the reason many fans don't give Gerry a chance in competition is they gained an opinion of him from the game he was injured and a shell of himself. He is a dynamic running threat when healthy and also big enough you don't have to worry about him getting injured just because of the laws of physics like you did with Charlie. Of course anyone can get injured but with Gerry it won't be because he is undersized. I personally am starting to think a running threat quarterback who can throw deep is the perfect compliment for our good defense and underdeveloped ol at this point. Think about how far k state got with that formula in their best years. It's the kind of offense that is very difficult to completely shut down and tends to control the clock well.
Dia del DougO
I don't think it ends with the Texas State game. I expect Kansas will be the first time we have something like a "OK, this is the starter" guy, and then it could still change. Three or four different guys playing significant numbers of snaps in 2021 would not surprise me in the least.
"The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool."
BEAR 45
guadalupeoso said:

My prediction is that G-Bo will be the starter. He doesn't possess the throwing mechanics that Zeno does, but is a bigger body and a bigger run threat. Think that will be an important element given the likely fact that our offensive line will still be a little underwhelming. I expect them to be improved from last year, but I still think that having a qb run threat as a part of the game plan to mask some deficiencies in the o-line will be necessary. Excited about the battle going forward though and will be fully behind whoever wins the spot!
Not sure if you were there or watched the game, but Zeno has better throwing mechanics ? He didn't ; set his feet all day and threw more balls off his front foot than back. He is more comfortable when scrambling than he is in the pocket and if yesterdays offense is really what we are planning on Zeno does not look like a good fit. Three picks and until an added last play no TD passes. Bohannon looked more comfortable and moved the offense better. I understand it is a spring game and nothing special called. Looked like defense stayed in man coverage all day, no blitzes obviously and the defense knows all of the formation sets and routes as well, but O line not impressive or we have a really good defensive line.
guadalupeoso
BEAR 45 said:

guadalupeoso said:

My prediction is that G-Bo will be the starter. He doesn't possess the throwing mechanics that Zeno does, but is a bigger body and a bigger run threat. Think that will be an important element given the likely fact that our offensive line will still be a little underwhelming. I expect them to be improved from last year, but I still think that having a qb run threat as a part of the game plan to mask some deficiencies in the o-line will be necessary. Excited about the battle going forward though and will be fully behind whoever wins the spot!
Not sure if you were there or watched the game, but Zeno has better throwing mechanics ? He didn't ; set his feet all day and threw more balls off his front foot than back. He is more comfortable when scrambling than he is in the pocket and if yesterdays offense is really what we are planning on Zeno does not look like a good fit. Three picks and until an added last play no TD passes. Bohannon looked more comfortable and moved the offense better. I understand it is a spring game and nothing special called. Looked like defense stayed in man coverage all day, no blitzes obviously and the defense knows all of the formation sets and routes as well, but O line not impressive or we have a really good defensive line.
Yea I posted this prior to the spring game. Like a few weeks ago. This was mostly based off the argument that many fans think Zeno is the sharper passer with the better arm. My point was in agreement with you. I think GB is our best option, even if Zeno has slightly better mechanics (which based on Saturday, he doesnt; but that's what many on this board purport). I have never been impressed with Zeno's pocket awareness (see every play after those two good throws in the B12 Championship) and have thought all along that GB looks more comfortable out there and has better awareness of blitzes and pressures. But yea I agree with your whole point!
Jorkel
I watched the spring game and to me GB looked like we could move the chains with him. Shapen looked really good throwing the ball outside the pocket and can throw some darts. Zeno looked like he was forcing throws in places he shouldn't hence the INTs. Drones looked like a freshman. If I got to make the depth chart today, it would be GB, Shapen, and the other 2
Ewalker80
Jorkel said:

I watched the spring game and to me GB looked like we could move the chains with him. Shapen looked really good throwing the ball outside the pocket and can throw some darts. Zeno looked like he was forcing throws in places he shouldn't hence the INTs. Drones looked like a freshman. If I got to make the depth chart today, it would be GB, Shapen, and the other 2

On the bear cast Grayson said he still believes Zeno will win the job because "Zeno opens things up with the deep ball." That might be true if you have a good offensive line or are doing 7 on 7, but I believe with the team as it is gerry's running ability is far more likely to open up the field. His arm is plenty strong to make deep passes Charlie couldn't and we have enough deep threats at receiver that it will have to be respected to some extent

My most formative college football experience regarding quarterback competiton was being a grad student season ticket holder at Texas when Vince young was emerging over chance mock. Vince's final year he threw for 3000 yards and completed 65 percent of his passes and he had the funkiest delivery I've ever seen. But people were running open all over the field because everyone was paying such close attention to the run. Defenses absolutely cannot let quarterbacks get 15 yard runs at will because there is no risk to the offense. Therefore they have commit resources to stop that threat, which opens things up. I'm not saying Gerry can run like Vince but he is a real running threat and at this point in career a much better passer than Vince ever was.

Having a running quarterback is also the great potential equalizer in college football and if you can do it it can "cover over a host of sins" including a weaker offensive line. It will also open up the running back run game and allow us to commit to the run, which is something we absolutely have to do to be successful. I thought Gerry should likely be the man next year all along but continuing to see analysis of the spring game and current state of offensive line has confirmed it for me. I will be surprised if grimes and aranda are not behind closed doors saying they are open to Zeno stepping up in the fall but that plan A going in will be building an offense around gerry's strengths. Not to mention the leadership he has shown and patience in sticking around through three coordinators. Will make an awesome story if he finally emerges as a star out of Earle.

Having said all that, I predict they both get a ton of playing time early and this will ultimately be settled on the field in the fall.
DanaDane
The Spring game pretty much showed it is a two man race: Bohanon or Shapen.
Jorkel
DanaDane said:

The Spring game pretty much showed it is a two man race: Bohanon or Shapen.

Maybe it's the hype, but after watching Shapen play for the first time during the spring game, I can see what people have been saying.
Ewalker80
Good analysis from Travis roeder on how the offense is adjusting to new scheme and on qb battle. He seems to see it pretty much like I do-gb only a sight favorite at this point but the overall offensive progress is encouraging.

https://www.ourdailybears.com/2021/5/1/22413954/baylor-spring-football-retrospective-the-makings-of-a-good-offense
boognish_bear
Ewalker80
Some post spring thoughts from aranda. https://247sports.com/college/baylor/Article/Baylor-football-head-coach-Dave-Aranda-quarterback-battle-Jacob-Zeno-Gerry-Bohanon-165269532/Amp/?__twitter_impression=true

My takeaways

(1) it will technically be a 3 man competition going into fall camp
(2) shapen is likely a little behind Zeno and Gerry
(3) reading between the lines, Jacob was better in the pocket early on but Gerry was better overall in the scrimmage. "(There was some separation in the scrimmages")

They clearly want to keep the competition alive between those three over the summer.
Jorkel
Ewalker80 said:

Some post spring thoughts from aranda. https://247sports.com/college/baylor/Article/Baylor-football-head-coach-Dave-Aranda-quarterback-battle-Jacob-Zeno-Gerry-Bohanon-165269532/Amp/?__twitter_impression=true

My takeaways

(1) it will technically be a 3 man competition going into fall camp
(2) shapen is likely a little behind Zeno and Gerry
(3) reading between the lines, Jacob was better in the pocket early on but Gerry was better overall in the scrimmage. "(There was some separation in the scrimmages")

They clearly want to keep the competition alive between those three over the summer.

No surprise here.
historian
And it's a good thing for everyone: they all should improve. Now I've only the OL were solid for an entire game so they could open up the playbook....
BaylorRocks
All good dialog. But just always try to keep in mind that 4-8 is the most likely result this season.

Sic'em
Mitch Henessey
zunooreo said:

All good dialog. But just always try to keep in mind that 4-8 is the most likely result this season.

Sic'em
Just like losing to Wisconsin in the second round was the most likely result, right?
boognish_bear
A name for down the road

boognish_bear
SirBearALot
I saw GB complete a floating duck one time for a TD.. remember ?
Ewalker80
SirBearALot said:

I saw GB complete a floating duck one time for a TD.. remember ?

He was injured in that game. I wouldn't judge him based on that. He has a strong arm and his biggest skill is as a runner. Watch his highlights earlier in the thread to watch now he moves when healthy.
boognish_bear
Ewalker80
boognish_bear said:

Zeno lookin good. Second throw reminds me of one to ebner against ou.
boognish_bear
I don't know the full context of this quote, but that sounds like a lot

Zerooreo
boognish_bear said:

I don't know the full context of this quote, but that sounds like a lot

That's not good; guess he's really not a D-I QB
Courtesy_Flush
Gerry moving into the 3rd spot on the depth chart real quick
Mitch Henessey
If you read the rest of Aranda's quotes about Shapen and Zeno, it sounds like everyone has a lot to work on before the Texas State game.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.