Football
Sponsored by

Zach Smith drafted second

2,643 Views | 18 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by boognish_bear
Ewalker80
How long do you want to ignore this user?
This is a major feather in the cap of Jeff Grimes, particularly when you consider how strong this quarterback class is at the top. All the analysis I have seen thinks the grimes offense was good preparation for the nfl. Grimes also developed him a medium recruited prospect. This is something grimes will use in recruiting quarterbacks for years to come. Has Baylor ever had a quarterback drafted second? I forget.... (jk)
BaylorBears_254
Could've sworn his last name was Wilson
Ewalker80
BaylorBears_254 said:

Could've sworn his last name was Wilson

Oops. I meant Wilson of course. I had Zach smith on the brain because I just noticed he was like 14th in ESPN qb ratings. It seems like an eternity ago he played for Baylor.
Jack Bauer
SIX players from Alabama drafted in the first round!!!
boognish_bear
Jorkel
Jack Bauer said:

SIX players from Alabama drafted in the first round!!!

Weird how that works...recruit the best high school
Players, win national championships, and then go to the NFL. Will they all thrive, nope but they still get money in the bank.
guadalupeoso
This. Top Recruiting Rankings = Playoff Teams = Most Draft picks. It's like this every year. The teams who win the recruiting battle have the most success. To pretend that it boils down to anything else is just overthinking it. Which is why it is difficult for me to get excited about an "under the radar" offensive lineman from a 2A school in southern New Mexico or wherever the hell we get one from. Not that I don't want those kids on our team or don't think there is some under the radar talent out there and good kids who deserve a chance to play at this level. But you just can't expect it to translate into a big time program when that's your whole recruiting strategy.
Ewalker80
guadalupeoso said:

This. Top Recruiting Rankings = Playoff Teams = Most Draft picks. It's like this every year. The teams who win the recruiting battle have the most success. To pretend that it boils down to anything else is just overthinking it. Which is why it is difficult for me to get excited about an "under the radar" offensive lineman from a 2A school in southern New Mexico or wherever the hell we get one from. Not that I don't want those kids on our team or don't think there is some under the radar talent out there and good kids who deserve a chance to play at this level. But you just can't expect it to translate into a big time program when that's your whole recruiting strategy.

Ya but getting to that level is a process. The formula is coaching up and developing guys so that you outperform your peers like we did in 2019. Then to that you have to add some coaching longevity and some special players that come here because of the Baylor distinctives.

Drew showed it can be done at Baylor but coaching longevity is a must if we are ever going to compete at the highest levels. And it takes time. The reality is we have a lot of things going for us such as location in Texas, resources and Christian distinctives that will always attract some great kids. We weren't all that far away with the last two coaches but the missing ingredient was coaching stability.

For now we have to be excited about guys that can develop here and fit our culture and help us get back on top of our peers. And you never know if one of those guys doesn't became that special player that takes your program to another level. Rg3 was not that highly recruited as a qb for example. We are now regularly getting more highly recruited players.
BellCountyBear
guadalupeoso said:

We are not a blue blood football program, so we have to work harder at it and get lucky every once in a while. Football is also way harder to build a championship program than basketball.
guadalupeoso
I understand that and that's part of my point. I'm not saying that we can't enjoy the players we recruit and that we shouldn't be content with what success we achieve. I'm just saying that it is no secret why Alabama, Ohio State, Clemson rule the roost every year. And there is no team out there who should expect to compete for championships like Alabama and Ohio State, unless you can recruit like Alabama or Ohio State. In basketball it's possible to get the right combination of guys and win it all. In football, even if you have a team with great chemistry and a mix of talent, the more talented team is going to win 99.9% of the time.
guadalupeoso
I agree with your assessment of how we should view our program as fans of our program. But in terms of expectations, no team can expect to compete at an Alabama or Ohio State level until you can recruit at an Alabama or Ohio State level. And for the record, i'm not even a Baylor fan who thinks we can attain that or who thinks we should have that as our standard. I would be completely satisfied if our program became a near carbon copy of Bill Snyder Kansas State where we have a floor of seven wins and every once in a while we get a special team that has a chance to do something great. But I'm just merely saying that you can't expect those lower tier recruits to turn you into a championship team because the evidence pretty much indicates the opposite. And also, to your point, according to 247, RG3 was rated as the #6 dual threat QB in the nation in his class and was a 4 star QB. I know several schools wanted him to play receiver or safety instead, but he was still a pretty highly touted recruit, by all accounts.
Ewalker80
guadalupeoso said:

I agree with your assessment of how we should view our program as fans of our program. But in terms of expectations, no team can expect to compete at an Alabama or Ohio State level until you can recruit at an Alabama or Ohio State level. And for the record, i'm not even a Baylor fan who thinks we can attain that or who thinks we should have that as our standard. I would be completely satisfied if our program became a near carbon copy of Bill Snyder Kansas State where we have a floor of seven wins and every once in a while we get a special team that has a chance to do something great. But I'm just merely saying that you can't expect those lower tier recruits to turn you into a championship team because the evidence pretty much indicates the opposite. And also, to your point, according to 247, RG3 was rated as the #6 dual threat QB in the nation in his class and was a 4 star QB. I know several schools wanted him to play receiver or safety instead, but he was still a pretty highly touted recruit, by all accounts.
I agree with all that. For comparison though, Gerry was #10 dual threat, Zeno #8 pro, and Kryon #11 dual. All 4-stars. Similar pedigree as RG3, and most of his big offers were not to play QB (which is also true of Gerry to some extent but his offers included schools like Alabama). Players in this range can sometimes become very special game changers. Zach Wilson another one of many examples. Heck Patrick Mahomes was in this range too and look where he is. That is just QBs.
Jorkel
guadalupeoso said:

Maybe we can be the king of borderline 3/4 stars. We could win the big 12 occasionally with that talent.
guadalupeoso
I think that is very attainable and a worthy aspiration. I think that would be the sweet spot for us.
boognish_bear
pitchspork
Jorkel said:

guadalupeoso said:

Maybe we can be the king of borderline 3/4 stars. We could win the big 12 occasionally with that talent.

I mean that's what everyone who's not a blue blood is trying to be. The king of coaching up mid-rated talent into premium starters. It's obviously easier said than done.
boognish_bear
boognish_bear
allstate2000
Thought OP meant this guy and was so confused https://tulsahurricane.com/sports/football/roster/zach--smith/9563
boognish_bear
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.