Football
Sponsored by

Rhule comment about Aranda

4,680 Views | 31 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Forest Bueller_bf
gobears20
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Staff
Great Baylor Merchandise -> https://bit.ly/2M8DuHk
BellCountyBear
He should get into big-time politics.
Bear2019
C'mon man...what's Rhule supposed to say? "Well, that Aranda fella...He's alright. Played some high school ball out in Cali. I think he knows what he's doing. And Hey!...his wife is kinda cute, so maybe he can win?" I mean, why do people even write this stuff and post it? Some of these green and gold pumpers have to be getting a lick and a kiss from Rhoades. Have to be. I swear, my sister's kids could do better at fooling somebody.
CTbruin
Liberty
PartyBear
I agree. Last year was a Covid year. It should and I suspect will be vastly turned around in year 2.
RegentCoverup
I just want to know why Rhule wouldn't recruit.
This site leaks private information to Baylor Regents and Administration
Bear8084
CTbruin said:

Liberty

Texas Bowl win.

11-3.

College Gameday.

NY6 Bowl invite.

Nationally ranked team.

Rebuilt a football program.
Space Cutter
Why does anyone care what Rhule thinks or says. Aranda should tell him to butt out of Baylor sports.
Timbear
Touchy feely doesn't tell people to do anything. He asks them what they think about it.
Bear8084
Space Cutter said:

Why does anyone care what Rhule thinks or says. Aranda should tell him to butt out of Baylor sports.

Probably because he was a successful Baylor coach and Smoak is running a Baylor show. It also gives a small insight from a former and predecessor Baylor coach on what he thinks of the program.
Surf Oso
Space Cutter said:

Why have anything against Rhule? He only brought us back to respectability and added a lot to change the national narrative about Baylor.

Having him mention BU is only positive for Baylor. Best PR we can have.

Just like all his players who dream of the NFL, he did, too. All of us would take that same shot + the salary is not too bad.

Otherwise, he's an NFL coach who is a fun listen. He's an open book about talent evaluation.
Lately, newspaper mentioned cheap airfare
I've got to fly to Saint Somewhere
I'm close to bodily harm
Greenbear
I don't dislike Rhule at all, but I am not happy with how he left. Baylor has always been the school that benefits from long-term coaches. The coaches we need at Baylor are different - faith based. Rhule was doing the right things, left and we were back to zero. COVID hit and Aranda had to adjust.

For me, Aranda will be the better coach than Rhule. He has made the tough decisions, recruited the high-character kids and brought in better assistant coaches. I just we can keep Aranda around longer than Rhule.
PartyBear
Greenbear said:

I don't dislike Rhule at all, but I am not happy with how he left. Baylor has always been the school that benefits from long-term coaches. The coaches we need at Baylor are different - faith based. Rhule was doing the right things, left and we were back to zero. COVID hit and Aranda had to adjust.

For me, Aranda will be the better coach than Rhule. He has made the tough decisions, recruited the high-character kids and brought in better assistant coaches. I just we can keep Aranda around longer than Rhule.
Aranda is going to have to start winning before there is any threat of him leaving. That said he didnt spend the immediate off season looking for another job. So that is good.
Stranger
TellMeYouLoveMe said:

I just want to know why Rhule wouldn't recruit.

Because he always knew he wouldn't be here.
I'm a Bearbacker
Ewalker80
Greenbear said:

I like Rhule and Aranda.

Rhule was likely the only coach in American that could willing and able to take Baylor from dumpster fire he inherited to the doorsteps of the CFP Playoff in 3 years. Left the culture and program extremly healthy and words better than where it was. Was also transparent from day 1 about his NFL ambitions for anyone with ears to hear it. Left several of his most valuable assistants behind --- Joey, Shawn, Wetzel. The right man for the right time.

Aranda is a one of the smartest football minds in college football and now has an incredible staff built for sustained success, given time. With the program now stable and headed in the right direction, the sky is the limit with him at the helm. Again, the right man for the right time.
BaylorRocks
Ewalker80 said:

Greenbear said:

I like Rhule and Aranda.

Rhule was likely the only coach in American that could willing and able to take Baylor from dumpster fire he inherited to the doorsteps of the CFP Playoff in 3 years. Left the culture and program extremly healthy and words better than where it was. Was also transparent from day 1 about his NFL ambitions for anyone with ears to hear it. Left several of his most valuable assistants behind --- Joey, Shawn, Wetzel. The right man for the right time.

Aranda is a one of the smartest football minds in college football and now has an incredible staff built for sustained success, given time. With the program now stable and headed in the right direction, the sky is the limit with him at the helm. Again, the right man for the right time.

Inherited a dumpster fire? Not so say-eth a lot of experts here.

I distinctly recall a lot posting here about how Rhule was inheriting some of the best collective talent the Baylor roster had ever seen. That there was no reason or excuse for Rhule not winning the BigXII immediately. No coach would consider that situation a dumpster fire.

Am I recalling all of those expert's posts wrong?

I know at the time I tried to explain reality to those blinded souls, but got roasted for it like usual. Then....we started to see pre-game Oklahoma drills on the field and Little Tikes apparatus. Oops

Sic'em
Ewalker80
zunooreo said:

Ewalker80 said:

Greenbear said:

I like Rhule and Aranda.

I distinctly recall a lot posting here about how Rhule was inheriting some of the best collective talent the Baylor roster had ever seen. That there was no reason or excuse for Rhule not winning the BigXII immediately. No coach would consider that situation a dumpster fire.

I know at the time I tried to explain reality to those blinded souls, but got roasted for it like usual. Then....we started to see pre-game Oklahoma drills on the field and Little Tikes apparatus. Oops

Sic'em

It's deeply ingrained in human nature to emphasize only the bad qualities of ex girl friends and ex coaches to help us emotionally cope with the fact they are gone and never coming back. The truth is she had some good and bad qualities like all people, it there was a reason we used to think she hung the moon.
Wineguy89
Timbear said:

Touchy feely doesn't tell people to do anything. He asks them what they think about it.

Zero stars as usual. Back in your hole Eeyore
Wineguy89
Caddywampus said:

C'mon man...what's Rhule supposed to say? "Well, that Aranda fella...He's alright. Played some high school ball out in Cali. I think he knows what he's doing. And Hey!...his wife is kinda cute, so maybe he can win?" I mean, why do people even write this stuff and post it? Some of these green and gold pumpers have to be getting a lick and a kiss from Rhoades. Have to be. I swear, my sister's kids could do better at fooling somebody.

Have a cocktail or a DP. You'll feel better and be happier. Or go "party with" Timbear in the rain.
Stranger
zunooreo said:

Ewalker80 said:

Greenbear said:

I like Rhule and Aranda.

Sic'em

Little Matty inherited a team that won a bowl game the year before and proceeded to run up a 1-11 season beginning with a loss to Liberty. Liberty. Then demanded $400,000 not to leave. Class act.
I'm a Bearbacker
Greenbear
zunooreo said:

Sic'em
I don't think Rhule inherited much. Many of the Briles supporters thought Briles left a ton of talent and maybe that first year, prior to Rhule starting, some of those players were still there, but many left, encouraged to leave by former coaches as well. In addition, some of these former Briles players were not the "high character" players valued by Rhule to build the future. He played a ton of freshman his first year.

Dumpster fire? That is a little dramatic, but by the time Rhule got here the program was going downhill fast, IMO.
BUbackerinET
Exactly, blah, blah, blah...
Ewalker80
Greenbear said:

zunooreo said:

Sic'em
I don't think Rhule inherited much. Many of the Briles supporters thought Briles left a ton of talent and maybe that first year, prior to Rhule starting, some of those players were still there, but many left, encouraged to leave by former coaches as well. In addition, some of these former Briles players were not the "high character" players valued by Rhule to build the future. He played a ton of freshman his first year.

Dumpster fire? That is a little dramatic, but by the time Rhule got here the program was going downhill fast, IMO.

I would say 6 scholarship o linemen, one recruiting class gutted and no recruits the following year except Jalen Pitre was a pretty tough starting place. Not to mention the morale of the team after what had transpired. Sure rhule liked to play up the rescue story narrative but it was based on a lot of facts.
No Longer Gold
Bear8084 said:

CTbruin said:

Liberty

Texas Bowl win.

11-3.

College Gameday.

NY6 Bowl invite.

Nationally ranked team.

He didnt rebuild anything. He destroyed what Briles had built, and then was able to scrape together one good year off of slim margin wins. Do you think he left the program better than he found it? Had briles been there during that time, with those kids, i have no doubt BU would have won a natty.
Bear8084
Swart Dra said:

Bear8084 said:

CTbruin said:

Liberty

Texas Bowl win.

11-3.

College Gameday.

NY6 Bowl invite.

Nationally ranked team.

He didnt rebuild anything. He destroyed what Briles had built, and then was able to scrape together one good year off of slim margin wins. Do you think he left the program better than he found it? Had briles been there during that time, with those kids, i have no doubt BU would have won a natty.

You might want to go back and see what was left after the Briles mess.

Winning 11 wins (only other Baylor coach to do it) in a 3rd year of a major scandal rebuild is not "scraping together" wins. That's coaching. And program building.

And yes, he did leave it in better shape than what he walked into.
Bear8084
Ewalker80 said:

Greenbear said:

zunooreo said:

Sic'em

I would say 6 scholarship o linemen, one recruiting class gutted and no recruits the following year except Jalen Pitre was a pretty tough starting place. Not to mention the morale of the team after what had transpired. Sure rhule liked to play up the rescue story narrative but it was based on a lot of facts.

Exactly.
Ewalker80
Swart Dra said:

Bear8084 said:

CTbruin said:

Liberty

Texas Bowl win.

11-3.

College Gameday.

NY6 Bowl invite.

Nationally ranked team.

Honest question. If you view post-briles Baylor football so negatively, why do you continue to follow it?
bear2be2
Ewalker80 said:

Greenbear said:

I like Rhule and Aranda.

Agree completely. Matt Rhule was the perfect coach to lay the foundation for post-scandal Baylor football. And if Aranda can fix the offense (replacing Fedora with Grimes was a great start), he'll do a great job of building a sustainable, winning program on top of it.

I appreciate both men and the culture they've brought to our program.
Tylerbear
Swart Dra said:

Bear8084 said:

CTbruin said:

Liberty

Texas Bowl win.

11-3.

College Gameday.

NY6 Bowl invite.

Nationally ranked team.

Had Briles stayed at Baylor we would have at the very best case been kicked out of the Big 12 and the very worst had an SMU like death penalty

Not saying it was right - in fact I think much of it was so unfair - but just stating facts

And I blame Ken Starr and Ian McCaw more than Briles but again had Briles stayed it would have been a disaster

CMR single handily restored our program and although he left us at the first real opportunity I will always be grateful for his restoring pride in our program

BBWCBear
Swart Dra said:

Bear8084 said:

CTbruin said:

Liberty

Texas Bowl win.

11-3.

College Gameday.

NY6 Bowl invite.

Nationally ranked team.

Love your enthusiasm. I loved Briles too, win a natty... there would always be "Bama to beat, sooo. I just wanted to make it to the "Final Four", I could die a happy man.
BaylorRocks
Tylerbear said:

Swart Dra said:

Bear8084 said:

CTbruin said:

Liberty

Texas Bowl win.

11-3.

College Gameday.

NY6 Bowl invite.

Nationally ranked team.

Had Briles stayed at Baylor we would have at the very best case been kicked out of the Big 12 and the very worst had an SMU like death penalty

Not saying it was right - in fact I think much of it was so unfair - but just stating facts

And I blame Ken Starr and Ian McCaw more than Briles but again had Briles stayed it would have been a disaster

CMR single handily restored our program and although he left us at the first real opportunity I will always be grateful for his restoring pride in our program

"single handily" ?

Mr Tylerbear, I have Mack Rhoades on Line 1 for you............
Forest Bueller_bf
BellCountyBear said:

He should get into big-time politics.
He's been in them for a while now.

His politicing got him where he is today. He is also a very good coach.

What sets him apart is his ability to politic.
Forest Bueller_bf
BBWCBear said:

Swart Dra said:

Bear8084 said:

CTbruin said:

Liberty

Texas Bowl win.

11-3.

College Gameday.

NY6 Bowl invite.

Nationally ranked team.

Love your enthusiasm. I loved Briles too, win a natty... there would always be "Bama to beat, sooo. I just wanted to make it to the "Final Four", I could die a happy man.
We would have made the final four. That Bama/Clemson problem would have always been there, the Championship would have been really tough. This isn't basketball, where 3 really good players can take you to the final four.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.