Football
Sponsored by

I guess that Jimbo is pretty confident these days.

4,727 Views | 51 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Mitch Henessey
Mitch Henessey
How long do you want to ignore this user?
iarelevy said:

HarryMehre said:

He told the Houston Touchdown Club that he was going to beat Alabama's A** while Saban was still there. He also said that he respected Bama and Saban, but the Aggies can do everything as well as Bama, if not better.

One thing that you have to admit about the Aggies, they have never suffered from a lack of confidence.

A&M finished 4th in the country, won the Orange Bowl, have recruited multiple top 10 recruiting classes, and are poised for another big class this year. The schedule favors A&M this year but will have a tough slate against Bama and will have to play an improved LSU team away. It is by no means a guaranteed 10 win season, but A&M should be favored in most of the games. It will really depend on OL play, but I believe King is going to do well once he settles in. He has a good arm, knows the system, and is dangerous on the run. He's apparently the second fastest guy on the team behind Achane.

They'll have a 3-4 headed monster at RB with one of the best RB's in the nation in Spiller, then they have Achane, Ainias Smith (when needed), and true freshman LJ Johnson; one of the best TE's in the country in Wydermeyer, a healthy Baylor Cupp at TE, along with Ainias Smith out wide, an improved Chase Lane, and Demond Demas should see the field a lot more.

A&M will also bring back just about everyone on defense. DT Bobby Brown and LB Buddy Johnson we're the two main guys that left, but McKinley Jackson is going to be better than Bobby was, and there are some up and coming LB's that will fit in nicely.

So the main question is going to be OL and filling in 4 starting spots. There is plenty of talent on the OL but it is fresh for most of them. The OL haul this past class was filthy for A&M and it looks like 2022 will have a lot of big time OL in the class as well.

So A&M has a lot to be optimistic about. Jimbo has his system in place and is playing with just about all of his players now - specifically at QB.
I think you missed a turn on your way to the TexAgs circle jerk, bud
whitetrash
iarelevy said:

S11 said:

HarryMehre said:

He told the Houston Touchdown Club that he was going to beat Alabama's A** while Saban was still there. He also said that he respected Bama and Saban, but the Aggies can do everything as well as Bama, if not better.

One thing that you have to admit about the Aggies, they have never suffered from a lack of confidence.
I recall Fran saying things like that and then OU dropped 77-0 on them

Jimbo is not Fran.
True, for all of Fran's shortcomings he wasn't a slimy sleazeball
iarelevy
Mitch Henessey said:

iarelevy said:

HarryMehre said:

A&M finished 4th in the country, won the Orange Bowl, have recruited multiple top 10 recruiting classes, and are poised for another big class this year. The schedule favors A&M this year but will have a tough slate against Bama and will have to play an improved LSU team away. It is by no means a guaranteed 10 win season, but A&M should be favored in most of the games. It will really depend on OL play, but I believe King is going to do well once he settles in. He has a good arm, knows the system, and is dangerous on the run. He's apparently the second fastest guy on the team behind Achane.

They'll have a 3-4 headed monster at RB with one of the best RB's in the nation in Spiller, then they have Achane, Ainias Smith (when needed), and true freshman LJ Johnson; one of the best TE's in the country in Wydermeyer, a healthy Baylor Cupp at TE, along with Ainias Smith out wide, an improved Chase Lane, and Demond Demas should see the field a lot more.

A&M will also bring back just about everyone on defense. DT Bobby Brown and LB Buddy Johnson we're the two main guys that left, but McKinley Jackson is going to be better than Bobby was, and there are some up and coming LB's that will fit in nicely.

So the main question is going to be OL and filling in 4 starting spots. There is plenty of talent on the OL but it is fresh for most of them. The OL haul this past class was filthy for A&M and it looks like 2022 will have a lot of big time OL in the class as well.

So A&M has a lot to be optimistic about. Jimbo has his system in place and is playing with just about all of his players now - specifically at QB.

Let me know where I am incorrect in what I said.
iarelevy
whitetrash said:

iarelevy said:

S11 said:

HarryMehre said:

Jimbo is not Fran.
True, for all of Fran's shortcomings he wasn't a slimy sleazeball

Interesting comment. I'll disagree but I guarantee you that every team has had their fair share of sleazeball coaches. Some still coach for their school, some don't.
Mitch Henessey
iarelevy said:

Mitch Henessey said:

iarelevy said:

HarryMehre said:

You made the mistake of assuming that anyone here gives a **** about what you think.
iarelevy
Mitch Henessey said:

iarelevy said:

Mitch Henessey said:

iarelevy said:

HarryMehre said:

You made the mistake of assuming that anyone here gives a **** about what you think.

Oh, I really don't care if anyone cares what I think. I was just talking college football and giving a perspective on an in-state team. I'm not sure why there's so much hostility for an opposing view.
Bear8084
Mitch Henessey said:

iarelevy said:

HarryMehre said:

It reads like every other aggy pre-season post that I have been reading for decades. Just replace the current names with past coaches and players.
S11
Staff
iarelevy said:

S11 said:

HarryMehre said:

Jimbo is not Fran.
Never said he was. However Fran had only two elite programs in-division to worry about and shared recruiting ground with them. Even if Jimbo wins a majority of TX kids he could run into similarly loaded Bama, Auburn, and LSU squads as they have talent pools as well.

He'll do well but moving to the SEC west has made odds of a division/conference title go down not up and without multiple instances of those I think the natives in College Station will probably get restless. They won't pay him that much to be latter tenure Les Miles winning 9-11 each year with no hardware.
iarelevy
Bear8084 said:

Mitch Henessey said:

iarelevy said:

HarryMehre said:

It reads like every other aggy pre-season post that I have been reading for decades. Just replace the current names with past coaches and players.

That's somewhat of a fair assessment. I think pre-season hype is easy to generate for a lot of teams. However, I think most Ags that follow college football typically have a realistic view of how the team will do - just like most fans of teams. There will always be the outliers on sites that think A&M is going to win the national championship every year, or will beat Bama soundly.

The difference, though, is that A&M hasn't consistently recruited the way that they have been the last few years. Sumlin had a few good classes thanks to Johnny, but he had a LOT of attrition with kids getting in trouble off the field, or transferring out, or just completely mishandling the QB room to where (2) 5* QB's left in the same season - one that happened to go on to win the Heisman and get drafted #1 overall. Sumlin also didn't do well in the trenches. A&M didn't have the DL or LB's to stop anyone on the ground, and A&M's DB's weren't good enough to keep up with Bama and LSU's WR's. Sumlin did okay on the OL, but without that 2012 OL group he inherited from Mike Sherman it would have looked a lot worse overall.

Jimbo is one of the best recruiters in the game. There's no denying that. You can dislike him for your own reasons, but he had 5 top 5 recruiting classes at FSU, 8 top 10 classes, and only 1 class outside the top 10. At A&M he pulled A&M from the 36th-ish class in the nation to being ranked 17th a week out from signing day. Since then he has pulled in 3 top 10 classes (1 of them being a top 5 class). He's on track for another too 10 class in 2022.

So while it may sound like the same old, same old you read every year, Jimbo is getting his pieces in place just like he was doing at FSU. I'm not saying A&M is going to be in the CFP this year (though they were snubbed last year), but a 10 win season is not out of the question. The biggest question mark is the OL, but other than that the defense should be elite and the offense should be a little more exciting with the weapons that will be on the field.
Bear8084
iarelevy said:

Bear8084 said:

Mitch Henessey said:

iarelevy said:

HarryMehre said:

That's somewhat of a fair assessment. I think pre-season hype is easy to generate for a lot of teams. However, I think most Ags that follow college football typically have a realistic view of how the team will do - just like most fans of teams. There will always be the outliers on sites that think A&M is going to win the national championship every year, or will beat Bama soundly.

The difference, though, is that A&M hasn't consistently recruited the way that they have been the last few years. Sumlin had a few good classes thanks to Johnny, but he had a LOT of attrition with kids getting in trouble off the field, or transferring out, or just completely mishandling the QB room to where (2) 5* QB's left in the same season - one that happened to go on to win the Heisman and get drafted #1 overall. Sumlin also didn't do well in the trenches. A&M didn't have the DL or LB's to stop anyone on the ground, and A&M's DB's weren't good enough to keep up with Bama and LSU's WR's. Sumlin did okay on the OL, but without that 2012 OL group he inherited from Mike Sherman it would have looked a lot worse overall.

Jimbo is one of the best recruiters in the game. There's no denying that. You can dislike him for your own reasons, but he had 5 top 5 recruiting classes at FSU, 8 top 10 classes, and only 1 class outside the top 10. At A&M he pulled A&M from the 36th-ish class in the nation to being ranked 17th a week out from signing day. Since then he has pulled in 3 top 10 classes (1 of them being a top 5 class). He's on track for another too 10 class in 2022.

So while it may sound like the same old, same old you read every year, Jimbo is getting his pieces in place just like he was doing at FSU. I'm not saying A&M is going to be in the CFP this year (though they were snubbed last year), but a 10 win season is not out of the question. The biggest question mark is the OL, but other than that the defense should be elite and the offense should be a little more exciting with the weapons that will be on the field.

They weren't snubbed last year.

And ask FSU fans how much they like Jimbo and how he left that program.
iarelevy
Bear8084 said:

iarelevy said:

Bear8084 said:

Mitch Henessey said:

iarelevy said:

HarryMehre said:

Agree to disagree.

In my opinion, Notre Dame beat a Clemson team (in OT) without Trevor Lawrence. The second time they played, which was in the ACC Championship, they got absolutely smoked by Clemson, who had their starting QB back. This was a few days before the playoff selection.

A&M got smoked in week 2 against Alabama, on the road, when Alabama had their full roster - including Waddle.

A&M won every game from there by at least 2 scores, minus the Florida game, which they won by a FG in regulation.

The reason Notre Dame got the nod over A&M is because they're Notre Dame. Their brand is bigger and they've been a major college football program. They got blown out the week before the selection but all the talking heads wanted to hang on to was that A&M got blown out in week 2 against one of the best teams in CFB history.

It is what it is - they still went on to win the Orange Bowl and have their best season in a long time.

As for FSU and Jimbo, it doesn't really matter what their fans say. They're mad at Jimbo because he left and they hired a coach that was absolutely terrible in Taggert, and another coach who had a poor first season in Norvell. They should be mad at their own administration for not assisting Jimbo in what he needed to keep up with everyone. Jimbo couldn't get the financial support that was needed to keep up in the CFB arms race with facilities and support staff. A&M had the money to lure him away and the administration support to get him what he needed.

No one thought A&M could pull a national championship head coach away from the school that coach won it at. When they did everyone just believes that they just threw an absurd amount of cash at a coach that was going to fail. He left FSU with top 10 recruiting classes and as one of the top teams in their conference. He led them to 3 conference championships and a national championship. If they are mad at him because of the state the program was in then they're just mad that he left for another school.
BUbackerinET
Whether they beat Alabama or not (highly unlikely IMO) is really only marginally relevant to my point, EVERY year, they also have to beat LSU, and Auburn, in addition to Alabama. How many times you think they can run the table? I just don't see them doing it this year or into the foreseeable future. I think the more likely result is they lose 2 of those 3 most of the time, rarely 1, and almost never 0. With 1 loss, it's unlikely they make the playoff, 2 losses, definitely OUT.

One other thing: IMO, it is unwise to give Saban any bulletin board material whatsoever, if you're ever going to get him, I think the better plan is to just lay back, and sneak up on him, and have him looking past you...
Bear8084
iarelevy said:

Bear8084 said:

iarelevy said:

Bear8084 said:

Mitch Henessey said:

iarelevy said:

HarryMehre said:

Agree to disagree.

In my opinion, Notre Dame beat a Clemson team (in OT) without Trevor Lawrence. The second time they played, which was in the ACC Championship, they got absolutely smoked by Clemson, who had their starting QB back. This was a few days before the playoff selection.

A&M got smoked in week 2 against Alabama, on the road, when Alabama had their full roster - including Waddle.

A&M won every game from there by at least 2 scores, minus the Florida game, which they won by a FG in regulation.

The reason Notre Dame got the nod over A&M is because they're Notre Dame. Their brand is bigger and they've been a major college football program. They got blown out the week before the selection but all the talking heads wanted to hang on to was that A&M got blown out in week 2 against one of the best teams in CFB history.

It is what it is - they still went on to win the Orange Bowl and have their best season in a long time.

As for FSU and Jimbo, it doesn't really matter what their fans say. They're mad at Jimbo because he left and they hired a coach that was absolutely terrible in Taggert, and another coach who had a poor first season in Norvell. They should be mad at their own administration for not assisting Jimbo in what he needed to keep up with everyone. Jimbo couldn't get the financial support that was needed to keep up in the CFB arms race with facilities and support staff. A&M had the money to lure him away and the administration support to get him what he needed.

No one thought A&M could pull a national championship head coach away from the school that coach won it at. When they did everyone just believes that they just threw an absurd amount of cash at a coach that was going to fail. He left FSU with top 10 recruiting classes and as one of the top teams in their conference. He led them to 3 conference championships and a national championship. If they are mad at him because of the state the program was in then they're just mad that he left for another school.

Disagree on all of that. Those are some strong maroon glasses on. As Mitch said....save the aggy high hopes and dreams for TexAgs.

They aren't mad at Jimbo for leaving. Most see that.
iarelevy
Bear8084 said:

iarelevy said:

Bear8084 said:

iarelevy said:

Bear8084 said:

Mitch Henessey said:

iarelevy said:

HarryMehre said:

Agree to disagree.

Disagree on all of that. Those are some strong maroon glasses on. As Mitch said....save the aggy high hopes and dreams for TexAgs.

They aren't mad at Jimbo for leaving. Most see that.

Please explain - why do you think Notre Dame should have gotten in over A&M when they were blown out the week before the selection? Not that it matters at this point since what's done is done, but I would like to hear about it from a different fan base's opinion.

And FSU fans are mad about something - Jimbo led them to the promised land. The last season there the team slipped, but they lost their starting QB in the first game of the season. There were rumors that conversations had already been started between Scott Woodward and Jimbo after Sumlin blew the UCLA game the first game of the season. I have no idea if that's true or completely false, but it is intriguing.
iarelevy
BUbackerinET said:

Whether they beat Alabama or not (highly unlikely IMO) is really only marginally relevant to my point, EVERY year, they also have to beat LSU, and Auburn, in addition to Alabama. How many times you think they can run the table? I just don't see them doing it this year or into the foreseeable future. I think the more likely result is they lose 2 of those 3 most of the time, rarely 1, and almost never 0. With 1 loss, it's unlikely they make the playoff, 2 losses, definitely OUT.

One other thing: IMO, it is unwise to give Saban any bulletin board material whatsoever, if you're ever going to get him, I think the better plan is to just lay back, and sneak up on him, and have him looking past you...

Bama is always rough - there's no doubt about that. Saban has the greatest college football empire in the sports history. A&M has more talent than Auburn and it will definitely be interesting to see how they do after canning Malzahn. LSU always has talent. I don't think Ed O is a great coach, though. He had lightning in a bottle with Burrow and Joe Brady - and it was good on him for making the hire and getting Burrow to commit - but they'll be interesting to see how they do going forward. They've always got a ton of talent but their coaching isn't the best.

And Saban doesn't need bulletin board material. He knows that every team they are playing has Bama circled on their schedule. He gets every teams best shot. He doesn't need more motivation to win.
iarelevy
S11 said:

iarelevy said:

S11 said:

HarryMehre said:

Jimbo is not Fran.
Never said he was. However Fran had only two elite programs in-division to worry about and shared recruiting ground with them. Even if Jimbo wins a majority of TX kids he could run into similarly loaded Bama, Auburn, and LSU squads as they have talent pools as well.

He'll do well but moving to the SEC west has made odds of a division/conference title go down not up and without multiple instances of those I think the natives in College Station will probably get restless. They won't pay him that much to be latter tenure Les Miles winning 9-11 each year with no hardware.

True, you didn't say it but it seemed like you insinuated it.

It will be interesting to see what happens. The division couldn't get much tougher than what the SEC West provides. However, if A&M had stayed in the Big 12 then would their recruiting levels have gone up? Since 2000 A&M was averaged as the 21st best team in the country regarding recruiting rankings, with only 1 top 10 class.

Since joining the SEC A&M now averages as the 10th best team, with 5 top 10 recruiting classes. Of course the players need to pan out so recruiting rankings may not be the best thing to go by it does give a good indication of where things are heading. So while the competition has increased, so has A&M's talent. A&M has got a coach that has actually won and knows what it takes, so I feel A&M is in a much better position now than they were previously. Coming in at #4 this last season shows they're heading in the right direction.

But if it gets to be years 8-10 and no progress is being made then yes, people will start getting restless...but that would happen at any school. Look at Texas - they fired their head coach just a few years after he got them to the national championship.
whitetrash
Anybody know what's the best thing to use to get rid of this Jimbo-fellating invasive species that seems to have proliferated after the latest bout of spring rains?

Amdro?
Roundup?
D-Con?
Mitch Henessey
whitetrash said:

Anybody know what's the best thing to use to get rid of this Jimbo-fellating invasive species that seems to have proliferated after the latest bout of spring rains?

Amdro?
Roundup?
D-Con?
Spiked sheep chastity belt, would be my best recommendation
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.