Football
Sponsored by

Golden Wave PA announcer died

1,418 Views | 11 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by RR/BV
baylorfan1995
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Heard from a friend the public address announcer for the Golden Wave died. Havent seen this anywhere. Since 1974 he has announced at football games. Are you ready for some football?!?! RIP, he was a Baylor legend.
Stranger
baylorfan1995 said:

Heard from a friend the public address announcer for the Golden Wave died. Havent seen this anywhere. Since 1974 he has announced at football games. Are you ready for some football?!?! RIP, he was a Baylor legend.

Name?
I'm a Bearbacker
goldenboy232
I can't confirm that this is who passed away, but if it's the long-time BUGWB announcer that would be Jerry Johnson who was a professor in the business school (marketing department).

I had him for a couple of classes in Grad School at Baylor and also roomed with his son and some other guys for one semester near the end of my time at Baylor.
Stranger
goldenboy232 said:

I can't confirm that this is who passed away, but if it's the long-time BUGWB announcer that would be Jerry Johnson who was a professor in the business school (marketing department).

I had him for a couple of classes in Grad School at Baylor and also roomed with his son and some other guys for one semester near the end of my time at Baylor.

Baylor University website published a story that marketing professor Jerry W Johnson passed away on May 4th. No other information. He was a fine man.
I'm a Bearbacker
ImABearToo
I can hear him say "the pride of Baylor football, the Golden Wave Marching Band!!
BellCountyBear
Not a great PA voice, but a good teacher. I had him for advertising.
BUGWBBear
RIP.
RR/BV
He was also Aggie Al on 1660 ESPN. That bit was as funny as I have ever heard.
Stranger
https://wacotrib.com/news/local/education/jerry-johnson-quintessential-baylor-professor-voice-of-marching-band-for-46-years-dies/article_cde40152-ae7c-11eb-ad47-8fc119024ddc.html
I'm a Bearbacker
Johnny Bear
I took one of his undergrad Marketing classes at Hankamer back in 70's. He was the "voice" of BUGWB even that far back. Good teacher, had a good sense of humor, and was an overall good man.
Robert Wilson
Wonderful person
SSadler
RR/BV said:

He was also Aggie Al on 1660 ESPN. That bit was as funny as I have ever heard.
Yep. The closest thing to WBAP's "Sam from Sales" that I've heard. Would be a great tribute for 1660 to play a few of those if they are still in tape or digital form.
RR/BV
I asked them and they said they did not
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.