Football
Sponsored by

aggy Lost $84 Million In Athletics

2,932 Views | 27 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by CorsicanaBear
Aliceinbubbleland
How long do you want to ignore this user?
but they did get an extra $23 million from SEC to help offset members losses due to Covid. Imagine if Livingstone could ring up fat ass and demand our puny million or two back.

Texas A&M lost $84 million between department, 12th Man Foundation during pandemic, says AD (houstonchronicle.com)
BUbackerinET
Don't hold your breath - feckless, and cowardly leadership...
BellCountyBear
I thought it was $5M? How much did Baylor lose overall in 2020?
TenBears
My daughter is winding up her four years over there. Im not sure ive ever been less impressed with an institution.
RegentCoverup
Aggy didn't just lose it, the State of Texas and State Board of Higher Ed lost it.

Athletics in the world of Higher Ed are out of control.
This site leaks private information to Baylor Regents and Administration
CorsicanaBear
Quote:

This. Everyone should have division 3 rules. That would force the NFL to start a farm system. People would still go to see their college play ball.
Illigitimus non carborundum
JP1037
Its insane that any tax dollars go to prop up sports at any major college. Needs to be a law preventing this.
CorsicanaBear
Quote:

Its insane that any tax dollars go to prop up sports at any major college. Needs to be a law preventing this.
The argument is that losses are made up from donations. But, since dollars are fungible, donation money that was used to pay for athletics was not available to pay for educational activities or a new library which could have reduced the burden on tax payers. The counter argument is that the donations would not have been made absent athletics. The counter, counter argument is that we don't know that is true because it hasn't been tried.

Regardless, public education, including high schools and colleges, are spending an absurd amount of money on sports for no return to the public. Why, for example, are there any scholarship sports at Junior Colleges?
EasyE
JP1037 said:

What about High School or Junior high?
Golden Helmet
Is that 84M equal to or less than Baylor's payout on the Pepper Hamilton debacle?

I'd say considerably less.
CorsicanaBear
Panem et circenses.
Aberzombie1892
JP1037 said:

It's not that simple. Strong football programs have been shown to increase applications, decrease yield, and ultimately increase enrollment at universities, and, because that is the case, the state has a vested interest in the state programs having strong football programs in order to increase the enrollment of the instate universities. That enrollment aspect is important in order to prevent brain drain (i.e. relatively high performing high school students going out of state for college) and to attract high performers (i.e. bringing high performing high school students to the state for college).
CorsicanaBear
If nobody was going millions in the hole for athletics there would be no comparisons to make, so no brain drain.

The entire Ivy League (first and foremost a football conference, and the dominant conference in the 1st half of the 20th century) downgraded athletics decades ago and suffered no brain drain. The University of Chicago, the original Monsters of the Midway, the people who built the first nuclear reactor in a squash court, abolished football in 1939 (three years prior to the reactor). I don't think there has been a brain drain at UC.

What if the money spent on athletics were, instead, spent on academic pursuits? Would that be just as useful?

I am not a proponent of abolishing college sports. But as far as I can tell, the way they are run today, the ONLY beneficiary is ESPN who pay less than it costs to operate the sports to carry them for a profit on TV. Well, that's not quite true. The NFL benefits from not having to run a Minor league, "sports administrators" and coaches earn millions of dollars, and college presidents get to act like professional sports franchise owners, flying to games in private jets and sitting in luxury boxes to watch games.

Meanwhile we are asked to dig deep to support the program.
RightRevBear
First, I am against public colleges in the first place. I had to go to private colleges due to my degree path. It is the whole separation of church and state thing which I actually agree with. Why should I have to pay taxes to send people to school when I have to pay off loans to pay for my own education?

There is an easy way to fix this problem though. It is to require athletics to function as a separate entity. The setup should not allow for any transfer of funds from the school to the athletics organization. Donations can be given to the sports organization, and the sports organization can transfer funds to the school through scholarships, etc.

This will mean that if Texas A&M Athletics runs in the red then they will have to make cuts and sell things. I know this is a pipe dream though due to a multitude of reasons, so we will keep on bailing out stupid government bureaucracies.
GreenACU
Texas A&M doesn't use any state or institutional money for athletics. All that money is separate from the academic side.
Aberzombie1892
CorsicanaBear said:

If nobody was going millions in the hole for athletics there would be no comparisons to make, so no brain drain.

The entire Ivy League (first and foremost a football conference, and the dominant conference in the 1st half of the 20th century) downgraded athletics decades ago and suffered no brain drain. The University of Chicago, the original Monsters of the Midway, the people who built the first nuclear reactor in a squash court, abolished football in 1939 (three years prior to the reactor). I don't think there has been a brain drain at UC.

What if the money spent on athletics were, instead, spent on academic pursuits? Would that be just as useful?

I am not a proponent of abolishing college sports. But as far as I can tell, the way they are run today, the ONLY beneficiary is ESPN who pay less than it costs to operate the sports to carry them for a profit on TV. Well, that's not quite true. The NFL benefits from not having to run a Minor league, "sports administrators" and coaches earn millions of dollars, and college presidents get to act like professional sports franchise owners, flying to games in private jets and sitting in luxury boxes to watch games.

Meanwhile we are asked to dig deep to support the program.
The brain drain conversation is in regard to state schools and not private ones, and that was noted in the comment and that is also implied as part of the overarching point of discussing that topic in the context as FBS athletics since there are relatively few private schools in the FBS. For that reason, someone saying [that it was different for insert private institution here] doesn't really impact that greater issue or discussion.
CorsicanaBear
Quote:

Texas A&M doesn't use any state or institutional money for athletics.
See discussion about about the fungibility of dollars.
CorsicanaBear
Quote:

The brain drain conversation is in regard to state schools
What would make state schools more susceptible to brain drain than private schools?

What happened when private schools quit big time sports and concentrated on academics? Why would state schools be different? In fact the advantages should all be in state school's favor. When a private school needs a building or research equipment or whatever, it needs to either raise tuition, borrow money or beg donors for the cash. When a public school needs money the legislature just raises taxes.

The advantage should be doubly true for Texas schools that are beneficiaries of the Permanent University Fund. And triply true for UT that not only has access to tax dollars, the PUF and has an endowment reported in 2019 to be in excess of $31 billion.
GreenACU
Texas A&M just completed a $4 Billion fundraising campaign and only 8% went to athletics. I think its known that most athletic donations are tied to seats and season tickets and not just donations with no incentive.
RegentCoverup
Colleges are in the business of educating young people.

And they are doing a poor job of it. We are woefully misallocating opportunity in this country by cheating young people out of higher education.

This site leaks private information to Baylor Regents and Administration
JP1037
EasyE said:

JP1037 said:

What about High School or Junior high?
The state has a responsibility to educate the public at the HS and JH level. Sports are an important part of that education IMO. If I had my way we would figure out the average budget needed to run an athletic program per city and make each program deal with the same dollar amount. Anything above and beyond that comes from donors and ticket sales only.

For the record, I love HS sports and support them. I just don't think hugely bloated athletic programs at state universities should be supported with tax dollars. If A&M and UT donors want to pony up $1mil each to support their teams then that is their business. I just don't want my money going there.

GreenACU
Neither A&M or UT uses your tax dollars for athletics
Robert Wilson
CorsicanaBear said:

Quote:

This. Everyone should have division 3 rules. That would force the NFL to start a farm system. People would still go to see their college play ball.

I agree. College baseball is still fun. It would look about like that, but better because it would be the only college football game in town.
Aberzombie1892
CorsicanaBear said:

Quote:

The brain drain conversation is in regard to state schools
What would make state schools more susceptible to brain drain than private schools?

What happened when private schools quit big time sports and concentrated on academics? Why would state schools be different? In fact the advantages should all be in state school's favor. When a private school needs a building or research equipment or whatever, it needs to either raise tuition, borrow money or beg donors for the cash. When a public school needs money the legislature just raises taxes.

The advantage should be doubly true for Texas schools that are beneficiaries of the Permanent University Fund. And triply true for UT that not only has access to tax dollars, the PUF and has an endowment reported in 2019 to be in excess of $31 billion.
Okay so this is going to need to be cleaned up:

1. States (i.e. Texas or Louisiana) have a vested interest in keeping high performing high school students in-state for college in order to prevent those students from going out of state for college. This is for a wide variety of reasons, and most of them revolve around the likelihood that those students returning post graduation for their careers since generally if a high performing student goes out of state for college, the chances of them returning to the state for their career decreases by a notable amount. The net result is that quality performing high school students would generally be taking their high performance elsewhere if they went to college out of state - thus brain drain.

2. Once those students have decided to stay in-state for college, states have a vested interest in getting those high performing students to attend state colleges in order to prevent those students from going to private colleges. The reasons for that are more complicated than the in-state/out of state part.

3. One of the best ways to accomplish 1 and 2 is for a state to have its state schools have high performing athletic departments - particularly in the area of football - because that provides an extraordinary amount of marketing for a university and really allows the university to differentiate itself from similar universities with lesser athletic departments.

CorsicanaBear
Quote:

states have a vested interest in getting those high performing students to attend state colleges in order to prevent those students from going to private colleges.
It would seem to me that if students could get the education they desire in a private setting that the tax payers do not fund, the state (and its taxpayers) would be better off. The State (the general citizenry and taxpayers) does not have a vested interest in keeping students in State schools, the employees of the public colleges do.

The arguments you are making (including the out of state stuff) simply equate the interests of the Government educational bureaucracy with the interests of the State.

I will give you an example. Stanford University (which does have top tier athletics) has been an enormous driver of the most profitable industry in California or the Nation, one which dominates the capital markets and drives just about every current trend you could imagine. Silicon Valley does not exist without Stanford. Would California have been better served to have those students in public universities? I would also suggest that the percent of non-athlete students attending Stanford because of the athletics closely approximates zero.
historian
TellMeYouLoveMe said:

Colleges are in the business of education young people.

And they are doing a poor job of it. We are woefully misallocating opportunity in this country by cheating young people out of higher education.

That probably has more to do with politics than athletics. A lot more.
“Incline my heart to your testimonies, and not to selfish gain!”
Psalm 119:36
Thee University
Aberzombie1892 said:

JP1037 said:

It's not that simple. Strong football programs have been shown to increase applications, decrease yield, and ultimately increase enrollment at universities, and, because that is the case, the state has a vested interest in the state programs having strong football programs in order to increase the enrollment of the instate universities. That enrollment aspect is important in order to prevent brain drain (i.e. relatively high performing high school students going out of state for college) and to attract high performers (i.e. bringing high performing high school students to the state for college).
This may have been true in the 60's 70's 80' and 90's.

We've got a whole new legion of skinny jeans wearing, backpack toting, coffee drinking pansies on campus and applying to schools.

We are witnessing the decline of college athletics. Get ready for teams of pasty, semi-athletic white boys who are 4A and 5A heroes stepping up to wear the old college colors.
"The education of a man is never completed until he dies." - General Robert E. Lee
Aberzombie1892
Thee University said:

Aberzombie1892 said:

JP1037 said:

This may have been true in the 60's 70's 80' and 90's.

We've got a whole new legion of skinny jeans wearing, backpack toting, coffee drinking pansies on campus and applying to schools.

We are witnessing the decline of college athletics. Get ready for teams of pasty, semi-athletic white boys who are 4A and 5A heroes stepping up to wear the old college colors.
It's still that way for many state schools since they cannot compete on the academics front with schools like the Ivy League, the University of California system, Cal Tech, USC, Stanford, Carnegie Mellon, NYU, Duke, Emory, Vanderbilt, WashU, UVA, UNC, Michigan, Texas, Georgetown, Georgia Tech, etc. which all are leaders in the academics categories, so many state schools that fall outside of that bunch have to differentiate themselves in the minds of high schoolers somehow, and strong athletics is one of the pathways to get there.
CorsicanaBear
Quote:

state schools that fall outside of that bunch have to differentiate themselves in the minds of high schoolers somehow
That's like placing ads about how to apply for welfare on Indeed and Monster. Why should government programs need to compete?
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.