Football
Sponsored by

College football's biggest one-hit wonder teams since 2000

2,745 Views | 18 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by guadalupeoso
historian
How long do you want to ignore this user?
https://247sports.com/college/baylor/LongFormArticle/college-football-bigges-one-hit-wonder-teams-2019-LSU-2017-Miami-2010-Auburn-2007-Kansas--165802423/
“Incline my heart to your testimonies, and not to selfish gain!”
Psalm 119:36
Greenbear
Can't disagree. The ball bounced our way all season, but still could have beaten OU twice.
historian
True. I would have settled for once, either one. They both were great games: November was amazing in the first half and I don't think I've ever heard McLane Stadium louder (should have been with a record crowd). It would have been a whole lot louder if we had played in the 2nd half the way we did in the 1st. The December game had its share of fireworks too. What is really amazing is that both were close: we gave the Sooners a rough time twice. It was not easy for them at all.
Robert Wilson
Yep. Crazy year. We won a ton of razor thin games against mediocre teams. Then got our hearts broken twice against OU. Blowing a 28-0 lead at home was ... something. The Big 12 championship game was more impressive, I thought. When Platt caught that ball I thought he was taking it to the house. Can't believe that OU DB tracked him down. But after seeing what LSU did to OU in the playoff ... I'm not so sure that we didn't end up where we should have. The UGA loss wasn't pretty, but it wasn't outright humiliating.

That was the best all-around DL we have had since maybe Dotson and Jones? Billings and Oakman were beasts, but that team had 3 legit big timers. Rhule timed his exit well. Tanked the first team, had a fortunate run with the last one, which was good but not that good, then got out of town right as a swoon was inevitable. Covid and the coaching change made the swoon worse than it had to be.
historian
It was it 28-0 it was 28-3 but point taken.
guadalupeoso
How can we be a 1 hit wonder based on that year when we didn't even win anything that year? We lost in the conference championship and we lost our Ny6. Don't get me wrong, it was a great season and I was super proud of our Bears for it, but I don't think you can even be a "hit" unless you have something to show for it. Nothing new was added to the trophy case. And even if we HAD won the conference championship, it's would be hard to be considered a 1 hit wonder when you win 3 conference championships in a decade. I mean, it doesn't make you dominant, but certainly not a 1 hit wonder.

In summary, terrible post. Poorly thought out.
Baylor3216
guadalupeoso said:

How can we be a 1 hit wonder based on that year when we didn't even win anything that year? We lost in the conference championship and we lost our Ny6. Don't get me wrong, it was a great season and I was super proud of our Bears for it, but I don't think you can even be a "hit" unless you have something to show for it. Nothing new was added to the trophy case. And even if we HAD won the conference championship, it's would be hard to be considered a 1 hit wonder when you win 3 conference championships in a decade. I mean, it doesn't make you dominant, but certainly not a 1 hit wonder.

Yep. Only thing that defeated Baylor was bor

Who all has ever won b2b big 12 titles?
historian
Oklahoma multiple times:

Plus others in non-consecutive years.
Robert Wilson
Yep

So Oklahoma and Briles

Man did we ever screw ourselves
historian
BOR caving to pressure from a fake scandal invented in Austin.
fadskier
historian said:

BOR caving to pressure from a fake scandal invented in Austin.
This
JumboShrimper
Normalcy had to be restored. Baylor winning at an unprecedented rate didn't sit well with many.
Aberzombie1892
guadalupeoso said:

It's fairly easy to figure out - Baylor was a one hit wonder since it finished in the top 15 with 11 wins - tied for the most that its ever had in a season - but it didn't finish in the top 25 the year before or the year after, and, further, in the year after, Baylor did not make a bowl game. This isn't that different than 2015 UNC or 2016 WVU.
guadalupeoso
That doesn't make you one-hit wonder. It just means you had a good season surrounded by meh seasons. But again, we weren't even a hit that year. We literally did not win a single trophy or make the college football playoff. There will be no banners hung or plaques on the wall for that season. It was a great season, but not a one-hit wonder.
Stats97
A lot depends on perspective, but from a Baylor perspective, I would consider 2019 to be a big time season. 11-1 regular season (BU has only had two other 11 win seasons in our history, and only three other regular seasons in history that we lost only one game). Plus, one could argue that making the Big 12 title game was the old equivalent of winning a division, as that was the criteria for making the Big 12 title game in earlier years. Also, earning a bid to a "major" bowl for only the 7th time in program history.

Considering that we had 9 regular season wins in the three seasons surrounding 2019 (two before, one after), 2019 seems to stand out.
Baylor3216
historian said:

Oklahoma multiple times:

Plus others in non-consecutive years.

Yep. Ou and Baylor. That's it. That's why the smear

Not Texas

Not tech or okie state.

Certainly not thcu and their faux "title" for 2nd place
Ghostrider
Yep, and this is why Rhule had to go to the nfl. His stock was never going to get any hotter. Take the big money now when he can.
Robert Wilson
Ghostrider said:

Yep, and this is why Rhule had to go to the nfl. His stock was never going to get any hotter. Take the big money now when he can.
Gotta give the man credit. He did a good job but also had impeccable timing. He burned down season 1 unnecessarily going full rebuild. Got back to status quo season 2. Had a great run season 3 winning a bunch of close games against mediocre teams with a schedule that set up great. Team had a lot of guts/discipline and one of our best D lines ever (which was all about to graduate). Then he punched out as D Mims, that D line, and a slew of great linebackers rode off into the sunset.

End of the day, he went 19-19 and left us mediocre while having a big crew of worshippers. The guy can flat get it done.
Media Bear
guadalupeoso said:

Don't think it was the post that was terrible. He was just calling attention to the list (which may/may not be terrible).

Careful not to shoot the messenger there ...

guadalupeoso
This is correct. I meant that the list and twitter post were bad, not the board post on this website. I should have been more clear there.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.