Football
Sponsored by

If we go 6-6 this year, would Aranda deserve a hot seat yet?

2,823 Views | 40 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Greenbear
atomicblast
How long do you want to ignore this user?

I think for the amount of dosh we pay, we better see at least 7-5 and a bowl win this year. You guys are too lenient. We are talking millions of dollars and at least two years at this point. if we go less than 6 wins, Aranda is a plane crash. Remember be winners and not happy with middle to bottom of the pack.
Drango Unchained
No, not with a totally new offense and our OL situation he inherited. I do give him credit for the moves he's made in the off-season and understand that will take time to come to fruition. 6-6 in year three and I'm taking a hard look though
PartyBear
I'll say it should at least be warm. But if year 3 is not substantially better, it may should be so hot it may even be arguably time to make a move.

If 21 is a losing season then yes it should be hot and may need to end after year 3 depending on how that season goes.
Stefano DiMera
Love these threads...not..

Did we win our first 6?

Did we win our last 6?

Did we lose our top 2 quarterbacks?

Did the refs screw us in OT of 2 losses?

Way way too many variables.
Ewalker80
I would need more information but it's hard to imagine he gets the axe this year barring something catastrophic like losing control of the team, which would obviously likely result in a poor record. It's frankly hard to fathom anything remotely like that happening for this group of proven coaches. Absent something like that I think he had at least 2 more years before realistically having a hot seat.
DanaDane
He's not gonna win 6 games this year, but there's also no chance in him getting the axe for at least two more years beyond this year.
Bear8084
He should be able to win at least 6 this season to build onto the next. But that o-line and offensive scheme has to get it together somewhat to accomplish that goal. As mentioned there are a bunch of variables. Unless there's a complete team implosion, the hot seat doesn't start until next season if no progress is being made. That aside, I fully expect progress to be made from Coach Aranda and his Staff.
SIC EM 94
Just my opinion, but any coach that can't manage to find 6 wins should always be on the "hot seat". Typically you have 2 easy non-conference games, 1 mid level difficulty non-conference games, Kansas, and then a rather tough conference slate. When you are "given" 3 wins, finding 3 more should not be expecting too much.
CNC
Last year was year zero.
No spring practice, limited everything else.

Give me a break that we view ourselves to such a high standard.

Let them play. See what happens.
Media Bear
No.

Oldgrizzly
It is obvious that some of you are no better than "teasippers"
BellCountyBear
atomicblast said:

I think for the amount of dosh we pay, we better see at least 7-5 and a bowl win this year. You guys are too lenient. We are talking millions of dollars and at least two years at this point. if we go less than 6 wins, Aranda is a plane crash. Remember be winners and not happy with middle to bottom of the pack.
Adriacus Peratuun
No. Rhule left a roster that didn't have small holes but rather gaping chasms. 3 seasons to hit respectability [bowl eligibility] is a minimum.
Courtesy_Flush
What a dumb thread. I'd rather talk about UT's women's bowling team than have conversations about Aranda deserving a hot seat or not.
Wineguy89
DanaDane said:

He's not gonna win 6 games this year, but there's also no chance in him getting the axe for at least two more years beyond this year.

LOL....take a Xanax and lighten up. You could hit the lottery and complain about it!!
Greenbear
Aranda is the best football hire in two decades. COVID aside, he has made all the right moves. This is by far the best staff we have ever had. They are the best recruiters that Baylor football has collectively seen. What he inherited wasn't great and a lot of top players left, as you expect during a coaching change. Yet, look at how our defense performed last year. He made a bad hire at OC in year one, but made the right moves to correct it this year. With everything going on - changes in coaches, NCAA investigation - he has been able to recruit top talent. He is also a great man with a long-term vision. Would we have had this same conversation about Scott Drew in his second year?

We need Aranda to be at Baylor long-term. It takes time to build an OL. He will get it done.
PartyBear
Do you think Rhule left the program in the condition the men's hoops program was when Drew took over? It isn't a close comparison.

What is the basis for saying right now that Aranda is the best football hire we have made in 2 decades? His only track record as a HC is last season at this point. That seems like a bizarre declaration at this time.
Drango Unchained
Greenbear said:

Aranda is the best football hire in two decades. COVID aside, he has made all the right moves. This is by far the best staff we have ever had. They are the best recruiters that Baylor football has collectively seen. What he inherited wasn't great and a lot of top players left, as you expect during a coaching change. Yet, look at how our defense performed last year. He made a bad hire at OC in year one, but made the right moves to correct it this year. With everything going on - changes in coaches, NCAA investigation - he has been able to recruit top talent. He is also a great man with a long-term vision. Would we have had this same conversation about Scott Drew in his second year?

We need Aranda to be at Baylor long-term. It takes time to build an OL. He will get it done.

I love aranda, but the statement that he is the best hire in 20 years is equal and opposite kind of crazy of the OP. At this point he's the 3rd best hire, and I'm not sure anyone will be able to top the redemption tour of Rhule after the post briles mess.
Adriacus Peratuun
Like a student who took one class and received an "Incomplete".

Ranking him makes no sense.
drahthaar
No and the overall context make this a silly question IMO.

I also expect the O line to be much improved---hard not to be from some respects. Let's not forget the new staff coupled with a full spring and summer work will make a world of difference in technic and attitude. I'd also suggest we not be fooled by last year's ineptness being a measurement of effort....this will be a redemptive year for these guys unless I miss my guess by a long mile. I expect some focused nasty to be in play from Grimes and Mateos leadership.
Baylor3216
Greenbear said:

Hahahahaha hahahahaha ha

Hahahahaha gah

Hahahahhahahahahahahahahhhhaahhahaahhahahahahahhahahahahahahhahah

Ha

Ha
Timbear
The best in 20 years? AB won 2 Titles and Rhule almost did. His only hope is Grimes. If there had been no Covid last year, he would still have been unprepared to be a HC. Thanks Mack. Everyone enjoy the next 3 years, because if Baylor does well, Grimes is most likely gone to a HC job.
Bear8084
Timbear said:

The best in 20 years? AB won 2 Titles and Rhule almost did. His only hope is Grimes. If there had been no Covid last year, he would still have been unprepared to be a HC. Thanks Mack. Everyone enjoy the next 3 years, because if Baylor does well, Grimes is most likely gone to a HC job.

No one knows what would've happened without the COVID mess. Most likely, he would've been better prepared and had more time to install what he needed to install. COVID messed a lot of that up practice and meeting wise. Especially on the offense.

Aranda has the potential to be an amazing hire...but he ain't there yet.
BamaGoose
One of the most ridiculous posts I have seen on this site. There is no way in hell he goes on hot seat in '21. He is doing everything right and so far he looks like the real deal. Compare him to some of the loser HC's that have passed through and so far Aranda is head and shoulders above. Really a lame post
Stranger
Greenbear said:

have you been drinking Air-Wick and nibbling NoDoz?
I'm a Bearbacker
Greenbear
PartyBear said:

Do you think Rhule left the program in the condition the men's hoops program was when Drew took over? It isn't a close comparison.

What is the basis for saying right now that Aranda is the best football hire we have made in 2 decades? His only track record as a HC is last season at this point. That seems like a bizarre declaration at this time.
Every time a coach comes and leaves there is disruption. You have to start again. When Rhule left, the scab was exposed again, Baylor was left adrift. We lost momentum. I like Rhule and wished he had stayed, but my desire is a Drew-Mulkey-Teaff type coach in football. Longevity is very important, especially in Baylor football.

Starting over again - coaches have different schemes, recruit different type players and have different cultures. It isn't just about suiting up and playing for another person. I like what I see about Aranda. He is organized, understands football, has made some great hires and convinced them to come to Baylor. He has also made some bad choices and had the courage to correct them. I like his faith, which I believe is a good fit for Baylor and a continuation of what Rhule brought. I have watched him grow, now it has to translate to winning on the field. If Baylor's defense last year was any indication of how he can coach then I think Aranda was a great hire. It will take time to see, but just look at our OL recruits last year and the committments this year. So pitiful in this area over the last 4 years, finally these guys are bringing in talent. It will take time.

Jury is out on Aranda, but on the hot seat? No way, regardless of what happens this coming season. It takes to build a program.
Greenbear
Baylor3216 said:

Hahahahaha hahahahaha ha

Hahahahaha gah

Hahahahhahahahahahahahahhhhaahhahaahhahahahahahhahahahahahahhahah

Ha

Ha
I have been wrong before, but I have been right as well. Let's keep this post for a couple of years and see. It is a bet I am willing to take.
Greenbear
Drango Unchained said:

I love aranda, but the statement that he is the best hire in 20 years is equal and opposite kind of crazy of the OP. At this point he's the 3rd best hire, and I'm not sure anyone will be able to top the redemption tour of Rhule after the post briles mess.
I think maybe some have taken my post out of context. I believe Aranda is the best coach, the best hire in 20 years of Baylor football. He can't match the accomplishments of other hires, yet. Let's not get these two things confused.

Aranda better than Briles? Most exciting time of Baylor football, but Art didn't practice what he preached in many ways. I mean on the field and off. He was not always a great fit, but his football was fun to watch. Some poor judgments led to his downfall, and Baylors.

Rhule did a good job, but largely with smoke and mirrors in season 3. Not a great recruiter, he was good at getting the best from people and a really good X and O's guy. Wish he had stayed as he was a good fit.

I subscribe to a little different philosophy than most on here. 3 years and out will not work at Baylor for a coach of a major program. It can work at UT or LSU or A&M because they just keep bringing on talent. Baylor isn't the same. We are more like a TT or OSU. OSU has benefitted from Gundy being there long term even though he hasn't produced a OU like program and the natives continue to be restless because he can't beat OU. Baylor needs a long-term Coach and I believe Aranda is a great coach and a great hire. He is a good fit for Baylor. Has he made mistakes? Yes, and he self-admitted that he needed to be more verbal and that his offense needed new direction. He is a man of character who brought in the right coaches, great recruiters and all have faith. That is important to me, and I hope, Baylor.

Just my opinion, I guess. Hot seat? No. Does he have to prove himself? of course. But I still think he is the best hire for a football coach we have had, for Baylor, in a long, long time. Just my opinion.
Timbear
Greenbear, are you mesmerized by his statement of faith, his complicated white board Defensive scheme? I hope Baylor wins Big with Randa, because it's Baylor, but, seriously...
IowaBear
Lots of ridiculous takes in this thread including the OP. However he's being called the greatest hire in over 20 years for going 2-7 in year 1? Just a completely hilarious take. He has at least 2 more years before any seat warming and that's assuming he struggles these next 2 seasons. His weakness was clear in year 1 and he addressed it with the hiring of Grimes.
Bear8084
Timbear said:

Greenbear, are you mesmerized by his statement of faith, his complicated white board Defensive scheme? I hope Baylor wins Big with Randa, because it's Baylor, but, seriously...

Can't be that complicated because the defense was actually a solid unit last season and will only get better with more practices this season.
Thee University
Previous coaches and their first 2 Years on the job:

Coach Overall Conference

Bill Beall 2-9 1-13
Grant Teaff 7-15 3-11
Chuck Reedy 12-11 7-7
Kevin Steele 3-19 0-16
Guy Morriss 6-17 2-14
Art Briles 8-16 3-13
Matt Rhule 8-17 5-13

If Aranda goes 6-6 he would be 8-13 overall which is right in line with our 7 previous coaches.

"The education of a man is never completed until he dies." - General Robert E. Lee
Stranger
is Greenbear lonely this morning or something?
I'm a Bearbacker
Robert Wilson
We'll be doing extremely well this season to go 6-6

Aranda won't be on the hot seat pretty much no matter what and should not be

Rhule did not leave us in good shape (he did what he could do and carpet bagged in and out of here with perfect timing), and covid didn't help
Drango Unchained
Greenbear said:

Drango Unchained said:

I think maybe some have taken my post out of context. I believe Aranda is the best coach, the best hire in 20 years of Baylor football. He can't match the accomplishments of other hires, yet. Let's not get these two things confused.

Aranda better than Briles? Most exciting time of Baylor football, but Art didn't practice what he preached in many ways. I mean on the field and off. He was not always a great fit, but his football was fun to watch. Some poor judgments led to his downfall, and Baylors.

Rhule did a good job, but largely with smoke and mirrors in season 3. Not a great recruiter, he was good at getting the best from people and a really good X and O's guy. Wish he had stayed as he was a good fit.

I subscribe to a little different philosophy than most on here. 3 years and out will not work at Baylor for a coach of a major program. It can work at UT or LSU or A&M because they just keep bringing on talent. Baylor isn't the same. We are more like a TT or OSU. OSU has benefitted from Gundy being there long term even though he hasn't produced a OU like program and the natives continue to be restless because he can't beat OU. Baylor needs a long-term Coach and I believe Aranda is a great coach and a great hire. He is a good fit for Baylor. Has he made mistakes? Yes, and he self-admitted that he needed to be more verbal and that his offense needed new direction. He is a man of character who brought in the right coaches, great recruiters and all have faith. That is important to me, and I hope, Baylor.

Just my opinion, I guess. Hot seat? No. Does he have to prove himself? of course. But I still think he is the best hire for a football coach we have had, for Baylor, in a long, long time. Just my opinion.

I agree with your 3 years and out perspective. We need a Scott Drew for every program, ideally.

But Rhule year 3 was smoke and mirrors? I call BS. That was a consummate team, where the whole was much greater than the sum of their parts. We had a legit shot in the 4th quarter to win every game we were in, save the Sugar Bowl (even then we showed signs of life before Charlie got hurt), and closed 11 of them out. The only way that happens is great coaching and 100% buy in from the athletes, which also stems from great coaching
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.