Football
Sponsored by

Interesting article about Baylor football season outlook

2,848 Views | 22 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Wichitabear
ScottyB_The_Baylor_King
How long do you want to ignore this user?
It does say that probably 10-2 or 11-1 won't happen, but it provides that a more competent offense and defense lives up to hype means that they can win 8-9 games this year.
https://saturdayblitz.com/2021/06/13/baylor-football-competent-offense-away-big-12-contender/
Robert Wilson
So all we need is an offense.

Welp. Coulda told you that.

My how times have changed.
Greenbear
Our offense was horrible last year. With the same talent, we will be better because of new OC and OL Coach. Our offensive teams lack identity, confidence and a QB leader. It sure won't be easy, but even rolling out the same players we will be better. WR coach berated our players, maybe for good reason, but he didn't get the best out of them. Some off-season transfers will help immensely on the OL, but health is a concern for lack of depth.

I think coaches really don't like to name QBs at the end of spring. Too much time for QBs to transfer unless they are behind a stud or a senior.

WR - good, maybe not great
OL - below average
QB - lack experience
RB - lots of talent
Coaching - experienced

We wont' be great on offense this year, but a whole lot better than last year.
Squatch Hunter
Also need strong kicking game. Not going to win by punting from the opponent's 30 yard line.
Bear8084
Greenbear said:

Our offense was horrible last year. With the same talent, we will be better because of new OC and OL Coach. Our offensive teams lack identity, confidence and a QB leader. It sure won't be easy, but even rolling out the same players we will be better. WR coach berated our players, maybe for good reason, but he didn't get the best out of them. Some off-season transfers will help immensely on the OL, but health is a concern for lack of depth.

I think coaches really don't like to name QBs at the end of spring. Too much time for QBs to transfer unless they are behind a stud or a senior.

WR - good, maybe not great
OL - below average
QB - lack experience
RB - lots of talent
Coaching - experienced

We wont' be great on offense this year, but a whole lot better than last year.

Good points about the identity. It never really solidified. It showed flashes but those were few and far between. With Grimes and his staff, they do have an identity. His time at BYU is well known as to what he wants to do on offense. It may take a season to click, but we should see improvements with Grimes' "RVO" attack.
Robert Wilson
I think Aranda made a good move with Grimes.

That said, given our OL and QB situations, I would be shocked (pleasantly) if it bears a lot of fruit this year. I think it will bear fruit, and Aranda has time no matter what. But if the needle on the O moves a lot this year, then Grimes and Co are really good.
CTbruin
After watching the offensive "scheme " in the spring game, I'm not too optimistic.

Briles spoiled me
IowaBear
I wouldn't look to much into what they showed this spring was vanilla at best. But anyone whose expecting Grimes offense to be humming like it was at BYU is going to be disappointed. It'll take a few years as this team lacks talent really across the board offensively
guadalupeoso
IowaBear said:

I wouldn't look to much into what they showed this spring was vanilla at best. But anyone whose expecting Grimes offense to be humming like it was at BYU is going to be disappointed. It'll take a few years as this team lacks talent really across the board offensively
I tend to agree with your statement at the end there. A lot of people point to scheme, identity, etc. as the reason for our offensive woes. And those things are certainly an issue and I think the Grimes hire is a good step to fix those issues. But at the most base level of all of it is that we really just aren't as talented on offense as we were in the past or as people would like to think we are. Rhule did not recruit the offensive side of the ball as hard as he did the defensive side of the ball and some deficiencies are showing there. I think people overlook the talent aspect a lot, and i'm afraid some may be disappointed when Grimes and the new staff haven't magically made us competent.
BUbackerinET
I'm cautiously optimistic about the season - I see us at 6-7, wins, though - that's significant improvement, and I think we have an outside shot at 8. Any of those results makes us bowl-eligible, which will make me satisfied.
guadalupeoso
I would be satisfied with any of that as well.
DanaDane
Every fan base thinks they're way underrated, definitely gonna be bowl bound and their offense and defense are much better than anyone thinks at this time of year. For many that lasts until the fall when they line up in the first game against another legit P5 team.
Bear8084
DanaDane said:

Every fan base thinks they're way underrated, definitely gonna be bowl bound and their offense and defense are much better than anyone thinks at this time of year. For many that lasts until the fall when they line up in the first game against another legit P5 team.

And still, it could very well be true for Baylor. Full practices, full workouts, full Fall practices, new and exciting offensive staff. O-line just needs to hold together and be serviceable.
Bearmanly
Y'all must be new here. I'd be happy with 4 wins after last season.
Mitch Blood Green
Robert Wilson said:

That said, given our OL and QB situations, I would be shocked (pleasantly) if it bears a lot of fruit this year. I think it will bear fruit, and Aranda has time no matter what. But if the needle on the O moves a lot this year, then Grimes and Co are really good.

/revision/latest?cb=20150523130350
MrGolfguy
Bear Apologist said:

Even though last season really should've been a 4-8 or 5-7 season with non-conf games? BU has been getting 3 wins a year in non-conf but they got Covid'ed out, play those games and last year probably was a 4 or 5 win year. I don't want to stand pat at 4 wins this year; i think they will show improvement so i'm expecting 6-6 is really not out of the question.
Mr Tulip
tommie said:

Robert Wilson said:

Or "Grimey" as he liked to be called...

Robert Wilson
tommie said:

Robert Wilson said:

/revision/latest?cb=20150523130350
Not bad. No briefcase, tie or badge. Usually cowboy boots. Definitely feeling about how that guy looks. Figure we win 5.
Timbear
It took a catastrophe last season for Randa and Mack to decide to clean house and bring in the coaches we needed. Charlie leaving was the official end of the Rhule era. Randa having a practice year in 2020 will hopefully help him this year. All 3, good things. Now we're ready.
Ewalker80
Timbear said:

It took a catastrophe last season for Randa and Mack to decide to clean house and bring in the coaches we needed. Charlie leaving was the official end of the Rhule era. Randa having a practice year in 2020 will hopefully help him this year. All 3, good things. Now we're ready.

Fedora was obviously not a good fit in retrospect but we have to remember that rhule left very late in the coaching cycle so aranda's options were somewhat limited. Fedora made a lot of sense on paper because of head coaching experience, Baylor and Texas ties. Obviously it was a failed experiment, not because fedora isn't a capable coach but because it was not the right fit with aranda's overall philosophy and personality. Not to mention covid was a pressure cooker for just about every human relationship. Although I think it was likely destined to fail because of contracting philosophies and personality fit and fedora's justifiable unwillingness to adjust his offense to what would fit in under aranda's defense first philosophy.
BUbearinARK
Timbear said:

Thanks for that Imbear. Leaving off the first letter of someone's name is soooo kewl!
Gunny Hartman
Bear Apologist said:

Then prepare to be happy because we are going to win at least 8
Greenbear
Don't know how many we will win, but our team will be way better than last year. We may still be 2 years away, but I love the young talent these guys are bringing in. Freshman should play a lot on offense.
Wichitabear
I'm trying to have more confidence in the QB group. We have got some really good ones coming up but not this year. Maybe they won't struggle as much as I think.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.