Football
Sponsored by

Supposedly Texas and OU have reached out to the SEC about joining

57,816 Views | 475 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by boognish_bear
CTbruin
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Stranger said:

CTbruin said:

Woe is me!

The sky is falling!

I know you'd be happy to have the cows gone. I, too, would root for the Taliban against UT.

Maybe I'm missing something but doesn't it take just three SEC votes to queer this deal? I'd say it's not done yet.

Seems like I heard 4.

But to me, I just believe we will be just fine no matter what. The NC in basketball will not be unnoticed.
Baylorbears111
ETXBear said:

Stranger said:

CTbruin said:

Woe is me!

The sky is falling!

I know you'd be happy to have the cows gone. I, too, would root for the Taliban against UT.

Maybe I'm missing something but doesn't it take just three SEC votes to queer this deal? I'd say it's not done yet.

But you still have an unhappy marriage that will blow up as soon as it can

Who knows. Toxic mutual dependency can last for a long, long time.
Mr Tulip
Stranger said:

CTbruin said:

Woe is me!

The sky is falling!

10 out of the 14 schools have to approve. A&M and Mizzou are already rending garments.
The Big 12 grant of rights expires in 2025, but that almost certainly won't affect the situation.
Stefano DiMera
I thought it was 11 out of 14...4 no votes nixes the deal.
Mr Tulip
Stefano DiMera said:

I thought it was 11 out of 14...4 no votes nixes the deal.
And so you are correct, sir!

The legendary "off by one bug".
Stefano DiMera
Haha..no problem..from what i heard 13 were on board..Missouri may also have been against initially but that $60 million payday and a little sweetener changed their minds.
Aberzombie1892
Robert Wilson said:

There is a chance B10 doesn't want Iowa State (how many schools do you need in Iowa?) and would want a Texas school. B10 has gone crazy trying to touch various TV and recruiting markets by adding schools like Rutgers (NY) and Maryland (DC). Not being Tier 1 research hurts, but we have been building there and fake it pretty well. We should be back channeling with B10 and ACC hard. They are both hail marys but you might as well throw them at this point.
If the B1G wants a Texas team and Texas and Texas A&M are off the table, they're getting Texas Tech. However, the B1G is more likely to add Missouri - who prefers the B1G - plus Kansas or raid the ACC for two of GaTech/UVA/UNC.
Robert Wilson
Aberzombie1892 said:

Robert Wilson said:

There is a chance B10 doesn't want Iowa State (how many schools do you need in Iowa?) and would want a Texas school. B10 has gone crazy trying to touch various TV and recruiting markets by adding schools like Rutgers (NY) and Maryland (DC). Not being Tier 1 research hurts, but we have been building there and fake it pretty well. We should be back channeling with B10 and ACC hard. They are both hail marys but you might as well throw them at this point.
If the B1G wants a Texas team and Texas and Texas A&M are off the table, they're getting Texas Tech. However, the B1G is more likely to add Missouri - who prefers the B1G - plus Kansas or raid the ACC for two of GaTech/UVA/UNC.
Maybe. But compare Tech's academic ranking to the Big 10 rankings. Baylor is the only one left that fits. I know they value AAU membership, but Tech is also not AAU.

If Big raids another conference, may open a spot for us.

This is all a reach, I'll grant you that. But a good salesman can make a case for us over Tech or TCU. All 3 schools are grasping at straws, but someone is going to come up with one.
blackie
I have read a lot on this thread and others concerning what Big XII teams would be picked up by this conference or that conference. But realistically outside of UT and OU what does any of the remaining teams bring to the other P5 conferences that would warrant me as a TV partner being willing to up the contract I have with that particular conference that would result in the current conference members not having to take a pay cut in doing so?

It seems to me that for any conference, the only reason to add members is to either make the conference more stable or cause TV networks to increase the conference payout such that the existing members get more than what they are getting now. I don't think any of them adding any of the remaining Big XII teams makes any of them more or less stable. So I think that reason can be ignored.

So, look at the TV contract perspective. If the money under the existing contract is currently divided 12 or 14 ways, adding two to four more teams is going to have the have that contract raised considerably to account for the more mouths to feed. From a TV network perspective, I just don't see the remaining teams, any of them, being worth enough to do that. For adding an OU or UT makes sense, but not for the others.

I suspect the Big XII's remaining teams, best bet, is to bring more teams in that might provide at least some appeal such that the net drop in revenue is held to a minimum. There is no reason for a TV network to pay more just because you have more teams unless those teams really bring a net positive effect to the package. I don't think the Big XII teams do that for these other conferences. So, if a conference requests that I pony up for more teams by bringing in orphaned teams from the Big XII, my answer is no.
Stefano DiMera
Good post..thats why i mentioned Tech and us as a package to bring some DFW and Houston streaming subcribers

Would that be enough? I think Tech and us should be working closely in this.
historian
Osodecentx said:

Aliceinbubbleland said:

Osodecentx said:

The most important thing is we've spent the last 2 years ferreting out all of the slave owners and Confederates in our past and removing all signs of them
LOL. I was one who said UT would NEVAH go to SEC. It looks like I may have been wrong. All those horns on their web page who mocked aggy and the SEC are suddenly really excited they can **** Baylor at last.

I don't expect the LHWokeBand segment to play Dixie but who knows. Money talks and ethics walk.
We trusted UT
Why would anyone trust UT?
“Incline my heart to your testimonies, and not to selfish gain!”
Psalm 119:36
Osodecentx
blackie said:

I have read a lot on this thread and others concerning what Big XII teams would be picked up by this conference or that conference. But realistically outside of UT and OU what does any of the remaining teams bring to the other P5 conferences that would warrant me as a TV partner being willing to up the contract I have with that particular conference that would result in the current conference members not having to take a pay cut in doing so?

It seems to me that for any conference, the only reason to add members is to either make the conference more stable or cause TV networks to increase the conference payout such that the existing members get more than what they are getting now. I don't think any of them adding any of the remaining Big XII teams makes any of them more or less stable. So I think that reason can be ignored.

So, look at the TV contract perspective. If the money under the existing contract is currently divided 12 or 14 ways, adding two to four more teams is going to have the have that contract raised considerably to account for the more mouths to feed. From a TV network perspective, I just don't see the remaining teams, any of them, being worth enough to do that. For adding an OU or UT makes sense, but not for the others.

I suspect the Big XII's remaining teams, best bet, is to bring more teams in that might provide at least some appeal such that the net drop in revenue is held to a minimum. There is no reason for a TV network to pay more just because you have more teams unless those teams really bring a net positive effect to the package. I don't think the Big XII teams do that for these other conferences. So, if a conference requests that I pony up for more teams by bringing in orphaned teams from the Big XII, my answer is no.
I agree. The old SWC reconstituted
fadskier
ScrappyPaws said:

My take - our best bet is for the B12 to immediately expand. We'll no longer be "P5" in the traditional sense but neither will anyone else once the SEC is done building their semi-pro league. We can remain relevant in terms of the playoffs and build something better than a current G5 option with expansion.

BYU is the obvious choice. Despite Method Man's lack of clarity on this topic, BYU is massive and wealthy. They have policies in place prohibiting homosexual behavior which is a non-starter Pac 12 and probably for the B1G as well. From a state school perspective, revenue sharing with such an institution is akin to sponsoring hate. BYU back in the LaVell Edwards days (late 70's through mid 90s?) finished in the top 20 nearly every season and won a "national title" in 1984 (finished #1 in both polls).

Beyond BYU there are a bunch of schools that make sense but beggars can't be choosers at this point. We should be picking up 4-6 of the best we can get immediately and setting ourselves up to be something like the least of the P5 (till the Pac finishes falling apart) or a clear step above the rest of the G5 leagues.

Money/TV matters most so off the top of my head I'd say BYU, UH, Colorado State, Memphis, Cincy, + 1. It keeps us out of the American.

If we can't land in the ACC this is a MUST.

I'd add East Carolina and UCF
Osodecentx
PartyBear said:

boognish_bear said:

State rep from north Texas area

How ? It is not on the agenda of the special session which is dead anyway.
At least someone is doing something
fadskier
Osodecentx said:

blackie said:

SMU can't fill a stadium. It's embarrassing.
Osodecentx
fadskier said:

Osodecentx said:

blackie said:

SMU can't fill a stadium. It's embarrassing.
Who do you prefer?
BlueFalcon
While OU won't have even a hint of the success they've had in the Big 12 they'll be able to compete in the SEC

Texas will be struggling to get to six wins

I can't think of 6 teams in the SEC that Texas could beat on a regular basis so they better make those OOC games count
PartyBear
Osodecentx said:

PartyBear said:

boognish_bear said:

Actually that is really stupid and is t doing anything. It isn't in the special session agenda and the special session is dead.

This is like a divorce it can't be stopped really. Just let it go and we do our best going forward. But don't fight this. You can't and it is stupid trying. Texas and OU are gone if they want to be gone.
whitetrash
PartyBear said:

Osodecentx said:

PartyBear said:

boognish_bear said:

Actually that is really stupid and is t doing anything. It isn't in the special session agenda and the special session is dead.

This is like a divorce it can't be stopped really. Just let it go and we do our best going forward. But don't fight this. You can't and it is stupid trying. Texas and OU are gone if they want to be gone.
Clayton Williams had a similar attitude as you toward rain.....
boognish_bear
From the "The Bear" from College Game Day broadcasts

Osodecentx
PartyBear said:

Osodecentx said:

PartyBear said:

boognish_bear said:

You never know. Baylor doesn't have Bullock, Herb, Sibley and Tech doesn't have Laney, Junell and Montford.
But in the 90s UT and A&M tried a jailbreak and Austin politics stopped it.

I'm happy to listen to your ideas, if you have any
JustWinBears
Fingers crossed we have a magical year and beat Texas and Oklahoma. Embarrass them, the SEC for taking them, and give us some clout to hopefully get us a raft to safety to another conference.

Obviously one year probably doesn't mean much in the eyes of the overall picture, but it certainly couldn't hurt. And if anything at least we can say we went out with a bang.
Zerooreo
Robert Wilson said:

BearFan33 said:

TeamPlayer said:

BearFan33 said:

jack.fuller said:

Welp.. Mack's beach vacation is over

I feel so much better now. I wonder if the left out ADs now realize that Bob Bowelsby has never looked after their interests.
What was he supposed to be doing? This conference never needed a commish. It's Joe and Chris running the show. This was destined to happen once Texas drove A&M east. Nobody was keeping those programs in against their will when they've always had options.
A good commish would be proactive, not reactive. He/she would talk the ADs into expansion (at least back to 12) and grab solid P5 lv schools when available (like FSU and Clemson). He would adopt a SEC like schedule and not promote idiotic things like "one true champion." He would have turned our conference into a hunter instead of prey. That is of course if he was looking out for all conference members.
Bowlsby's contract, signed years ago, expired at the end of the grant of rights. He never expanded the conference because UT and OU always wanted a way out. Bowslby was never looking out for the conference or its life beyond the GOR. He was working for UT and OU. We all just played along with it knowing this was the likely end. Baylor did a horrendous job of looking out for itself throughout this process, unless we have a safe landing spot already lined out that has not yet been announced.
Also provides further explanation as to why Coach Kim Mulkey got out when she did. Not only is Mack an unbearable ego-maniac, she got to the SEC (i.e. super conference) pronto once she learned of this move last year. She ain't got time to be associated with a second-tier school nor rinky dink administration.
Big12Bear
JustWinBears said:

Fingers crossed we have a magical year and beat Texas and Oklahoma. Embarrass them, the SEC for taking them, and give us some clout to hopefully get us a raft to safety to another conference.

Obviously one year probably doesn't mean much in the eyes of the overall picture, but it certainly couldn't hurt. And if anything at least we can say we went out with a bang.
That's what happened to Arkansas their last couple of years, and, to a lesser extent A&M.

BU wiped Arkansas their last visit to Waco and then beat them in Fayettenam their final year.
boognish_bear
boognish_bear said:

And I bet the majority of the 14 weeks UT was in the Top 10 fell between Aug-Sept when they came in that way.

Zerooreo
boognish_bear said:

boognish_bear said:

And I bet the majority of the 14 weeks UT was in the Top 10 fell between Aug-Sept when they came in that way.

And ALL of Baylor's fell under Coach Art Briles.

Man, the BOR really screwed the school, and us all, with the scapegoating of CAB.
oso de esqui
Osodecentx said:

PartyBear said:

boognish_bear said:

I think A&M, Tech, Baylor, and TCU alumni out number UT alumna in the Texas Lege house. The house sets the budget. That gives Jeff and others a fighting chance.
MrGolfguy
Zerooreo said:

boognish_bear said:

boognish_bear said:

Wrong, 2019 was Coach Rhule. Baylor was Top 10 for 4 or 5 weeks that season
Well I ain't no greenhorn!!
Robert Wilson
Zerooreo said:

boognish_bear said:

boognish_bear said:

Man, the BOR really screwed the school, and us all, with the scapegoating of CAB.
Yes, had we kept killing it in football since 2016 we'd have a legit shot. We straight up boned ourselves.
GShack
Zerooreo said:

boognish_bear said:

boognish_bear said:

Most, but not all.

We butchered ourselves over Briles. We don't deserve nice things.

Why did you change your name? I had you on ignore.
boognish_bear
MrGolfguy said:

Zerooreo said:

boognish_bear said:

boognish_bear said:

Also....technically....Grobe had them there. It was obviously a "Briles team"....but Grobe was HC in 2016 when we entered the ill-fated WSJ leak UT game ranked #8.

Robert Wilson
boognish_bear said:

MrGolfguy said:

Zerooreo said:

boognish_bear said:

boognish_bear said:

Also....technically....Grobe had them there. It was obviously a "Briles team"....but Grobe was HC in 2016 when we entered the ill-fated WSJ leak UT game ranked #8.
Still can't believe a bunch of Boomers did that to a bunch of 18-22 yo kids getting ready to play UT. Unconscionable.
BearFan33
So the question becomes if we get a spot in the ACC do we pounce on it immediately? I says yes. Hopefully our AD has been working on a landing spot for us for years and didn't just start now.
Jack Bauer
So any news from today's Big12 meeting?
boognish_bear
Robert Wilson said:

boognish_bear said:

MrGolfguy said:

Zerooreo said:

boognish_bear said:

boognish_bear said:

Still can't believe a bunch of Boomers did that to a bunch of 18-22 yo kids getting ready to play UT. Unconscionable.
Hearing that audio of Mack and the coaches before that game made me sick. That team was doomed with that kind of funk hanging around it.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.