Football
Sponsored by

Supposedly Texas and OU have reached out to the SEC about joining

57,815 Views | 475 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by boognish_bear
BCL79
How long do you want to ignore this user?
boognish_bear said:

I was thinking ... if the deck chairs start to really move, the "SEC" could go away and be reformed ... without poor Vanderbilt. And with Clemson or FSU.
Thee University
gobears20 said:

Footage from the meeting
Not sure which AD this is

&ct=g
Dresses like an Aggie.

Runs like an Aggie.

Talks like an Aggie.
"The education of a man is never completed until he dies." - General Robert E. Lee
BylrFan

Horns gave the horns down to the Big 12
Canada2017
Method Man said:

Canada2017 said:

Anyone with eyes can see A&M's acceptance of the SEC's invitation was the smart move . Been a huge success on many fronts .

Thought OU was obligated to bring Okie State along to any conference move certainly doesn't appear to be the case now .

Of course if UT and OU are able to force their way into the SEC the Big 12 ( 10 teams ) abomination is finished .

Baylor's only hope is an ACC bid . With the strength of its men and women's basketball programs such an move could happen.

Everyone else is **** out of luck .
To me....its a lateral move.

Texas A&M is still the same average to pretty good football program they were in the BIGXII....just with more money and a larger stadium.

I fail to see what the "huge" success has been.....and I'm being dead serious.

Baylor has more success in major college sports in the 10 years that A&M has been in the SEC.

For the past 25 years of being in a big conference aggy averages about 1 elite season (see 1998, 2012, 2020...etc) every 8-9 years.

When this one season happens you can be sure that aggy (and their Texas media cronies) are going to crow about how badass A&M is, how they have all this fancy redneck money, how big their stadium is....etc and what they fail to always mention is that A&M will almost always go back to what they have historically been.....which is an 8-5 program.

Remove 1984-1998 from Texas A&M (when they were dominating a dying Southwest Conference by cheating their asses off) and they are nothing more than Mississippi St.

The Texas Media gives aggy way more respect than they actually deserve.

chuckle

Oh sure.a 'lateral move'.

With expenses continuing to rise in college athletics it's ALL about the money.

The Big 12 ( 10 ) can't begin to generate the revenue of the SEC.
Revenue that will be needed even more in the near future .

That's why OU and UT are begging for an SEC invite . ( an invite BU would be thrilled to accept ).

For all the frustration expressed around here when A&M joined the SEC, events have clearly shown it was the right move .

I hope Baylor's basketball success lands them a spot in the ACC.

Otherwise Baylor will join TCU, ISU, KSU, OSU and Texas Tech in the Mountain West Conference or something similar .
Russell Gym
https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/texas-and-oklahoma-to-sec-live-news-updates-as-big-12-powers-may-kick-start-conference-realignment/live/
boognish_bear
This doesn't exactly seem like breaking news

CorsicanaBear
Hey, if Cowchip is reporting it, it has either already happened or it will never happen.
Illigitimus non carborundum
DanaDane
Aliceinbubbleland
boognish_bear
DanaDane said:

Maryland really feeling it

Jack Bauer
They should move the Texas-OU game to Bumf***, AR.
RightRevBear
Jack Bauer said:

Why do you hate Arkansas so much as to wish that upon them?
bear2be2
Baylorbears111 said:

ETXBear said:

Stranger said:

CTbruin said:

Woe is me!

The sky is falling!

I know you'd be happy to have the cows gone. I, too, would root for the Taliban against UT.

Maybe I'm missing something but doesn't it take just three SEC votes to queer this deal? I'd say it's not done yet.

But you still have an unhappy marriage that will blow up as soon as it can

Who knows. Toxic mutual dependency can last for a long, long time.
It doesn't have to be toxic. In some ways, shedding Texas and OU is like escaping an abusive relationship. If the other eight schools committed to each other, you could build a conference dynamic that was far healthier than what we had previously, if admittedly significantly less lucrative.
RegentCoverup
Canada2017 said:

Method Man said:

Canada2017 said:

Anyone with eyes can see A&M's acceptance of the SEC's invitation was the smart move . Been a huge success on many fronts .

Thought OU was obligated to bring Okie State along to any conference move certainly doesn't appear to be the case now .

Of course if UT and OU are able to force their way into the SEC the Big 12 ( 10 teams ) abomination is finished .

Baylor's only hope is an ACC bid . With the strength of its men and women's basketball programs such an move could happen.

Texas A&M is still the same average to pretty good football program they were in the BIGXII....just with more money and a larger stadium.

Baylor has more success in major college sports in the 10 years that A&M has been in the SEC.

For the past 25 years of being in a big conference aggy averages about 1 elite season (see 1998, 2012, 2020...etc) every 8-9 years.

When this one season happens you can be sure that aggy (and their Texas media cronies) are going to crow about how badass A&M is, how they have all this fancy redneck money, how big their stadium is....etc and what they fail to always mention is that A&M will almost always go back to what they have historically been.....which is an 8-5 program.

Remove 1984-1998 from Texas A&M (when they were dominating a dying Southwest Conference by cheating their asses off) and they are nothing more than Mississippi St.

chuckle

Don't let the name changes fool you.

He'll always be an Ag.
This site leaks private information to Baylor Regents and Administration
Aliceinbubbleland
I presume whatever happens to us Drayton will always be here. Not sure about the other BMD's. I'd be very interested to hear from some insiders who might know the donors. I think JEW agreed to pay out his promise to the Stadium after they dumped Briles but I'm not sure he will spend another dime with us after the way he was treated.

I'm pretty certain the new basketball arena is on hold until the dust settles.

According to other fan webpages, KU and OSU and Tech and ISU have the best chances of landing a P5.

The dislike of Baylor is intense on all fan based web sites right now. It has nothing to do with athletics.
Robert Wilson
Aliceinbubbleland said:

I presume whatever happens to us Drayton will always be here. Not sure about the other BMD's. I'd be very interested to hear from some insiders who might know the donors. I think JEW agreed to pay out his promise to the Stadium after they dumped Briles but I'm not sure he will spend another dime with us after the way he was treated.

According to other fan webpages, KU and OSU and Tech and ISU have the best chances of landing a P5.

The dislike of Baylor is intense on all fan based web sites right now. It has nothing to do with athletics.
Do you mean their own web pages?

Our complete and total botching of the 2016 crisis management may prove to be our undoing.
Aliceinbubbleland
Yes, the rivals web pages and you are correct.
Robert Wilson
Aliceinbubbleland said:

Yes, the rivals web pages and you are correct.
I expect them to lobby for themselves.

What's interesting is that we don't do a good job lobbying for ourselves.
gobears20
Staff
Drayton Mclane turned 85 yesterday. Still doing well!
BanjoBear94
IN the 1950s, Hardin-Simmons Univ. was member in the Border Conference with Arizona, Arizona State, Texas Tech, UNM, NMSU and UTEP, among others. I don't know the reasoning behind H-SU's descent into obscurity, but I hope the Baylor decision makers are actively planning to avoid a similar fate.
RegentCoverup
Aliceinbubbleland said:

Not to kill your hope, but I'll say this. All the names you mentioned, plus two others, love Baylor and would do anything to help. That being said, they probably cant do much. The Baylor BMD's are some damned good people. The board, eh. F em.

I predicted this would occur during the Ken Starr effort to stop Ag. It happened anyway. I was wrong by three years to be fair. But stop and remember one very important thing. It's not what people say, it's what they don't say that that really matters.

You don't hear a single university president, AD or coach at Texas or OU talking about this move.
And that is because they know that their livelihood might depend on it and they don't want oversight. They don't want the media or their state legislatures asking about it. Even if they get away with it, the landscape will change. It might change their funding within their state, it might change the perks that states like to give to universities. Even in Oklahoma, not everyone is an OU fan and few will be SEC fans.

So the fat lady might not change the deal but she hasn't exactly sung yet either. And there is no guarantee money won't be clawed back because of this deal.

The Texas taxpayer is going to have a final say in this.

bear2be2
BanjoBear94 said:

IN the 1950s, Hardin-Simmons Univ. was member in the Border Conference with Arizona, Arizona State, Texas Tech, UNM, NMSU and UTEP, among others. I don't know the reasoning behind H-SU's descent into obscurity, but I hope the Baylor decision makers are actively planning to avoid a similar fate.
Hardin-Simmons is a tiny university with limited resources. There are very few comparisons to be made there with Baylor.
BanjoBear94
Don't be so sure. Baylor, if not erroneously perceived as a "small private school" does have huge PR issues for past problems, fair or not. And It may be easy just to avoid Baylor altogether when we are looking for a place to land, if the conference disbands as the Border Conference did in 1961.
RegentCoverup
It's fascinating to watch states that can barely afford to pay K-12 teachers reach in their pocket to pay out $76(or half of) to leave a sports conference.

Runaway train...
Method Man
Canada2017 said:

Method Man said:

Canada2017 said:

chuckle

That's why OU and UT are begging for an SEC invite . ( an invite BU would be thrilled to accept ).

For all the frustration expressed around here when A&M joined the SEC, events have clearly shown it was the right move .

Otherwise Baylor will join TCU, ISU, KSU, OSU and Texas Tech in the Mountain West Conference or something similar .

This response is classic aggy.....and its the big reason why no one respects Texas A&M University.

aggy will brag about:
-how much money they have
-how big their stadium is
-their new found SEC friends.

What aggy will not brag about is actual on the field performance because Texas A&M is still the same underachieving, mediocre school they were in the BIGXII.

That is what I mean by lateral move.

You guys aren't any better than what you were in the BIGXII.....which is just an average program that every now and then (1998, 2012, 2020) will have a great season.....but then will go straight back to being what they have always been....which is 8-5.

I give you guys props for knocking down UT. When you all left it greatly diminished the Texas Longhorns as they lost their biggest rival.

The problem with aggy....is that they always act like they are way more badass than they actually are.
The Baylor Bears have more athletic success in Major Sports than aggy since they left for the SEC.

I don't really care all that much about conference affiliation if you only have an elite season once every 8 years.
I don't care how much money you have if all it nets you is 8-5........with almost no success in hoops.

Pecos 45
Canada2017 said:

Method Man said:

Canada2017 said:

chuckle

Can you point to any league titles, or even conference titles the Aggies have won since moving to the SEC?
Didn't they win a few Big 12 and SWC titles before they bolted?
How exactly have they "been a huge success" since joining the SEC?
Please list titles, not "more money" as it is divided among all member schools.
“If you have a job without aggravations, you don’t have a job.”
Malcolm Forbes
Pecos 45
RightRevBear said:

Jack Bauer said:

Really.
After producing Jerry Jones, haven't they suffered enough?
“If you have a job without aggravations, you don’t have a job.”
Malcolm Forbes
Method Man
Pecos 45 said:

Canada2017 said:

Method Man said:

Canada2017 said:

chuckle

Can you point to any league titles, or even conference titles the Aggies have won since moving to the SEC?
2021 Houstons Final Four, and Texas Tech's 2019 over time loss in the title game are bigger accomplishments than anything that aggy has done in Major Sports over the past 4 decades......and yes...a Mens Final Four outranks a womens natty.

but.....A&M has all that SEC money and a stadium upgrade. One of these days they will actually accomplish something on the field.
TinFoilHatPreacherBear
Pecos 45 said:

The move to the SEC has been a success financially, but that is it. That is how aggies measure success now, because that's the only option they have. I mean I get why, but it's sad at the same time.

And it's looking like now their orange haired pot head big brother and red headed hoodlum of a cousin will now be invited to the party and outperform them on the field.
IowaBear
Texas isn't going to outperform AM on the field. Texas will be fighting to make a bowl game in the SEC yearly. An OU will be struggling to reach the playoff. And yes they'll struggle if it's a 12 team field.
RegentCoverup
TinFoilHatPreacherBear said:

Pecos 45 said:

The move to the SEC has been a success financially, but that is it. That is how aggies measure success now, because that's the only option they have. I mean I get why, but it's sad at the same time.

And it's looking like now their orange haired pot head big brother and red headed hoodlum of a cousin will now be invited to the party and outperform them on the field.
Very true. One of my colleagues is from the UK(across the pond, not Kentucky).

Her daughter is nearing college age and they've toured A&M, UT and were so unimpressed, they got their passports in line and are sending her to undergrad in London. Total price per year, 20k all in.

College sports in the US have become that shiny object that is used to lure people into something for which the merits are debatable. Just another taxpayer rip off.

That's not a good thing.
Osodecentx
Pecos 45 said:

RightRevBear said:

Jack Bauer said:

Really.
After producing Jerry Jones, haven't they suffered enough?
No
Jack Bauer
Gee - I wonder who the holdout is?

Thee University
Robert Wilson said:

Aliceinbubbleland said:

Do you mean their own web pages?

Our complete and total botching of the 2016 crisis management may prove to be our undoing.
Instead of "our" alone please insert Athletic Director's immediately after "our".
"The education of a man is never completed until he dies." - General Robert E. Lee
Born_A_Bear
TAM must really be feeling disrespected by the SEC. Today's southern gentleman's agreement evaporated.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.