Football
Sponsored by

Supposedly Texas and OU have reached out to the SEC about joining

57,721 Views | 475 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by boognish_bear
Robert Wilson
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Thee University said:

Robert Wilson said:

Aliceinbubbleland said:

I presume whatever happens to us Drayton will always be here. Not sure about the other BMD's. I'd be very interested to hear from some insiders who might know the donors. I think JEW agreed to pay out his promise to the Stadium after they dumped Briles but I'm not sure he will spend another dime with us after the way he was treated.

I'm pretty certain the new basketball arena is on hold until the dust settles.

According to other fan webpages, KU and OSU and Tech and ISU have the best chances of landing a P5.

The dislike of Baylor is intense on all fan based web sites right now. It has nothing to do with athletics.
Do you mean their own web pages?

Our complete and total botching of the 2016 crisis management may prove to be our undoing.
Instead of "our" alone please insert Athletic Director's immediately after "our".
No. I said what I said. The WSJ hit piece we ran on ourselves may be one of the worst examples of crisis management I've ever seen in any context.
BylrFan
Jack Bauer said:

Gee - I wonder who the holdout is?

Usually Vandy abstains
Thee University
Robert Wilson said:

Thee University said:

Robert Wilson said:

Aliceinbubbleland said:

I presume whatever happens to us Drayton will always be here. Not sure about the other BMD's. I'd be very interested to hear from some insiders who might know the donors. I think JEW agreed to pay out his promise to the Stadium after they dumped Briles but I'm not sure he will spend another dime with us after the way he was treated.

According to other fan webpages, KU and OSU and Tech and ISU have the best chances of landing a P5.

The dislike of Baylor is intense on all fan based web sites right now. It has nothing to do with athletics.

Our complete and total botching of the 2016 crisis management may prove to be our undoing.
Instead of "our" alone please insert Athletic Director's immediately after "our".
No. I said what I said. The WSJ hit piece we ran on ourselves may be one of the worst examples of crisis management I've ever seen in any context.
None of the implosion would have happened if the AD would have been an AD and not let coaches run roughshod over him. Besides, our coach was trying to leave Baylor for greener pastures anyway. We would have been stuck with junior and a couple of family members coaching at the high school or junior college level.

The administration's actions after the implosion were tough to swallow but they had little choice given what they knew and were told.
"The education of a man is never completed until he dies." - General Robert E. Lee
Robert Wilson
Thee University said:

Robert Wilson said:

Thee University said:

Robert Wilson said:

Aliceinbubbleland said:

None of the implosion would have happened if the AD would have been an AD and not let coaches run roughshod over him. Besides, our coach was trying to leave Baylor for greener pastures anyway. We would have been stuck with junior and a couple of family members coaching at the high school or junior college level.

The administration's actions after the implosion were tough to swallow but they had little choice given what they knew and were told.
I started with the word "our." That was sufficient for present purposes.
historian
bear2be2 said:

BanjoBear94 said:

IN the 1950s, Hardin-Simmons Univ. was member in the Border Conference with Arizona, Arizona State, Texas Tech, UNM, NMSU and UTEP, among others. I don't know the reasoning behind H-SU's descent into obscurity, but I hope the Baylor decision makers are actively planning to avoid a similar fate.
Hardin-Simmons is a tiny university with limited resources. There are very few comparisons to be made there with Baylor.

It's also in West Texas, far from the premium recruiting grounds of DFW, Houston, San Antonio, Austin, etc.
“Incline my heart to your testimonies, and not to selfish gain!”
Psalm 119:36
historian
Method Man said:

One of these days they will actually accomplish something on the field.
No guarantees of that. Not even a reason to believe it might happen any time in the near future.
“Incline my heart to your testimonies, and not to selfish gain!”
Psalm 119:36
gobears20
Staff

Jack Bauer
Is this even real or is the media just throwing every possibility at the wall to see what sticks..

Robert Wilson
Jack Bauer said:

Is this even real or is the media just throwing every possibility at the wall to see what sticks..

This could be good

Signal this is all a move to take 20+ schools out of the ncaa

May make this more of a free for all than we anticipate
Canada2017
IowaBear said:

Texas isn't going to outperform AM on the field. Texas will be fighting to make a bowl game in the SEC yearly. An OU will be struggling to reach the playoff. And yes they'll struggle if it's a 12 team field.
OU will do very well in the SEC.

UT...not so much.
PartyBear
Robert Wilson said:

Jack Bauer said:

This could be good

What next the SEC will expand to 64? I think this story is silly. They aren't going to larger than 16.
boognish_bear
PartyBear
I would hope we have been back channeling with folks such as the PAC for longer than 36 hours or so.

I don't see how at this point anyone else gets Texas and OU. It looks like it is SEC or if by some slim chance something happens XII for them.
Aberzombie1892
boognish_bear said:

Once upon a time, Texas, Oklahoma, Virginia Tech, Clemson, Miami, Florida State, Georgia Tech and Notre Dame in the ACC would have been formidable.
Aliceinbubbleland
While OU and UT were smooching in the closet while hiding out from everyone else except that idiot Bowlsby, who knows what was said regarding Baylor at the highest levels of the Big 12.

I seem to recall Drew had to overcome the poison that Barnes spread far and wide to his friends. It worked for years.

I feel as if Baylor Admin is being totally blindsided by all the upheaval and we are frantically scrambling to try and figure out what direction to take while our enemies are stabbing us in the back to the P5 conferences.

Bowlsby and the two pissant AD's at UT and OU are still holding our money and I don't think they will try and sell a good picture of us to anyone.

I would hope Livingstone could use her connections to OSU to try and get behind any help either of us can secure.
Method Man
historian said:

Method Man said:

One of these days they will actually accomplish something on the field.
No guarantees of that. Not even a reason to believe it might happen any time in the near future.
I'd be surprised if I ever saw aggy win a National Title in football or basketball.
aggy isn't about finishing in 1st place.

What aggy is good for is bragging about money, and the size of their stadium.
BBWCBear
Aliceinbubbleland said:

I would hope Livingstone could use her connections to OSU to try and get behind any help either of us can secure.

Honestly, does anyone think Livingstone has any clout, power or persuasion over any of the Presidents of the Big 12? She's just a leader of a smaller private institution coupled with large state schools. Beyond the disdain for BU, she's just an additional person in the room.
TinFoilHatPreacherBear
BBWCBear said:

Honestly, does anyone think Livingstone has any clout, power or persuasion over any of the Presidents of the Big 12? She's just a leader of a smaller private institution coupled with large state schools. Beyond the disdain for BU, she's just an additional person in the room.
yep, I'd be happier with a guy/gal *like* Starr right now. You don't have to like him, but he was connected. We could use someone like that right now.
Aliceinbubbleland
Starr was a buffoon hiring Pepper Hamilton. No thanks.
Robert Wilson
Hiring PH in the way they were hired was dumb. But Starr had connections and gravitas in a room. He was also smart as hell. We were in far better shape with him in a situation like this than we are with Livingstone.
Stefano DiMera
You think Dr. Kayse Shrum has more clout.
Robert Wilson
The person who has been president at OSU about 90 days? No.

And the Texas leg is off on the lam, and we have no big political sway in Texas right now anyway, nor do Tech or TCU.

I think this is all about a perfect storm of bad timing. We are all as weak as kittens.
PartyBear
Robert Wilson said:

Hiring PH in the way they were hired was dumb. But Starr had connections and gravitas in a room. He was also smart as hell. We were in far better shape with him in a situation like this than we are with Livingstone.

No he doesn't. He is not well regarded at all particularly in the area of university business. Having Starr right now would have us in tremendously worse shape.

Btw our alliance with Tech and TCU if you really can call it that is much stronger than an alliances with OSU. For one thing OSU is still in denial and didn't join us in reaching out to the PAC right now because they have some delusion at this time OU really won't leave them and will take them with them.
Robert Wilson
PartyBear said:

Robert Wilson said:

No he doesn't. He is not well regarded at all particularly in the area of university business. Having Starr right now would have us in tremendously worse shape.

Btw our alliance with Tech and TCU if you really can call it that is much stronger than an alliances with OSU. For one thing OSU is still in denial and didn't join us in reaching out to the PAC right now because they have some delusion at this time OU really won't leave them and will take them with them.

Well, now he is, after our self immolation.
blackie
PartyBear said:

Robert Wilson said:

Jack Bauer said:

This could be good

What next the SEC will expand to 64? I think this story is silly. They aren't going to larger than 16.
I guess "journalists" putting this type of thing out are clueless that they are destroying any credibility they might have. But it would be funny to see these "blue bloods" going through 4-8 or worse seasons year after year. They probably don't understand basic math that half of them or more have to have no better than .500 records in their minor league pro conference.
BluesBear
But because they are "blue bloods", then that's a super quality loss and actually counts as a win.

BluesBear
https://trojanswire.usatoday.com/2021/07/24/pac-12-expansion-evaluation-baylor/

Well, there is a NO VOTE for BU to Pac12....sort of funny coming from USC..
boognish_bear
LondonBear said:

"Baylor is the program of Art Briles and former athletic director Ian McCaw, who ran a wayward, poisoned, toxic football shop. NCAA violations such as what USC endured with Reggie Bush, or what Ohio State dealt with under Jim Tressel, or what other programs have absorbed related to paying players or inappropriate benefits/compensation, are now generally acceptable due to NIL reforms. That said, those kinds of violations (improper benefits) were always far less severe than what happened at Penn State and Baylor this past decade.

Loss of institutional control the violation to trump all other violations was plainly made manifest at Penn State and Baylor. If any two football programs deserved to be drummed out of the Power Five (Autonomy 5) conferences (at the very least), and maybe out of the Football Bowl Subdivision altogether, those were the ones.

Of all the Big 12 schools which might soon become football refugees, stranded and looking for a new home, Baylor is the one school which cannot be allowed to fail upward. This is the time for college football justice to be delivered."

Well, we have been punished 100 times more than Mich St and LSU for our transgressions, but hey let's keep kicking the crap out of little BU.
Aberzombie1892
LondonBear said:

No one seriously believes Baylor has a legitimate shot at getting in the PAC12. That's not to say it won't happen, but it would be a shocker on the scale of OU and UT having been planning to move the SEC for a year.
Bear8084
Aberzombie1892 said:

LondonBear said:

No one serious believes Baylor has a legitimate shot at getting in the PAC12. That's not to say it won't happen, but it would be a shocker on the scale of OU and UT having been planning to move the SEC for a year.

Or PAC 12 schools moving to the B1G.
Robert Wilson
boognish_bear said:

LondonBear said:

"Baylor is the program of Art Briles and former athletic director Ian McCaw, who ran a wayward, poisoned, toxic football shop. NCAA violations such as what USC endured with Reggie Bush, or what Ohio State dealt with under Jim Tressel, or what other programs have absorbed related to paying players or inappropriate benefits/compensation, are now generally acceptable due to NIL reforms. That said, those kinds of violations (improper benefits) were always far less severe than what happened at Penn State and Baylor this past decade.

Loss of institutional control the violation to trump all other violations was plainly made manifest at Penn State and Baylor. If any two football programs deserved to be drummed out of the Power Five (Autonomy 5) conferences (at the very least), and maybe out of the Football Bowl Subdivision altogether, those were the ones.

Of all the Big 12 schools which might soon become football refugees, stranded and looking for a new home, Baylor is the one school which cannot be allowed to fail upward. This is the time for college football justice to be delivered."

Well, we have been punished 100 times more than Mich St and LSU for our transgressions, but hey let's keep kicking the crap out of little BU.

Don't blame this guy. He just read our Wall Street Journal publicity piece.
Born_A_Bear
And TT becomes a fit because they don't present threat to other members. What a back handed compliment.
Stefano DiMera
I mean..the first half of that article is very complimentary of us.

I dont think any university president cares about what happened in past..its do we add value..Our value is our academics..our time zone..and our access to Dallas and Houston subcribers..
AGFEVER
I don't no how I fill.My filler as broke. I toll my gandad Uncle Sonny ony my wife and sister side that its when I WAS 14 and ran from home. I was okay. Had foood. Had bEd. Then my bruther Uncle Earl came find me. He give noggin noogies and pench me. Jus likk I was back home.

So mzerable.

I hate hate hate YOU T.U.

FEV
blackie
Stefano DiMera said:

I mean..the first half of that article is very complimentary of us.

I dont think any university president cares about what happened in past..its do we add value..Our value is our academics..our time zone..and our access to Dallas and Houston subcribers..
The question really is do the TV networks think enough value is added to feed more mouths and provide the existing members more money than they are getting now. I just don't see it from their perspective that any of the leftover 8 do that, either individually or as a group. Only UT and OU have that kind of clout.

Because of panic of the BiG, ACC, and PAC and whatever else that might cause them to think they have to expand to keep up with the SEC (they will never catch up to the SEC) Big XII teams may go to these conferences. The logical thing, IMO however, would be to do nothing with the leftovers of the Big XII as for as bringing teams in. These teams just don't seem to move the needle enough to have networks agree to significantly larger payouts just because more teams are brought in that don't really add any more prestige to the conference. Of course a thinking network wouldn't be paying millions for the LHN.

I just hope this resolves itself soon, but unless conferences have known about this, it probably can't (other than that UT and OU are leaving). It would seem that conference schools everywhere will need time for due diligence and investigation before just accepting schools that come knocking on their doors. Some may already be having buyer's remorse concerning teams they added the last time this occurred.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.