Football
Sponsored by

Supposedly Texas and OU have reached out to the SEC about joining

57,822 Views | 475 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by boognish_bear
BUGWBBear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
muddybrazos said:

It would suck for us but would be hilarious to watch aggy get whipped every year by OU & TX just like old times.

Or Aggy coming back to Big 12
CorsicanaBear
Quote:

Is it paid for?
Can't really tell. As of the 5-31-20 FS there was $579mm of Notes and Bonds payable on BU's balance sheet of which you have to figure some is for the stadium. But not really sure.
Illigitimus non carborundum
CorsicanaBear
Quote:

Or Aggy coming back to Big 12
Has it been 100 years already or maybe its just that 2020 lasted so long.
Bexar Pitts
CorsicanaBear said:

Quote:

Is it paid for?
Can't really tell. As of the 5-31-20 FS there was $579mm of Notes and Bonds payable on BU's balance sheet of which you have to figure some is for the stadium. But not really sure.
I wonder if Rhoades had wind of this potential exodus..say when Mulkey was in process of leaving?
boognish_bear
Paging Ken Starr.
Zerooreo
Bexar Pitts said:

CorsicanaBear said:

Quote:

Is it paid for?
I wonder if Rhoades had wind of this potential exodus..say when Mulkey was in process of leaving?
No question. No way he's interested staying at a non Super Conference school. Ego won't let him be satisfied with that. So, as this plays out it's just a matter of time. Biggest paycheck rules the day with AD's....just like head coaches.
PartyBear
Ken Starr is the reason we are not in better shape at this critical time should it occur.
whitetrash
PartyBear said:

Ken Starr is the reason we are not in better shape at this critical time should it occur.

The last time we had to go through legal maneuvering like this, we had a former Solicitor General of the United States leading us. This time we have a Woke Okie who goes around looking for racism under statues.
ImABearToo
Spot on. We'll need a Starr level legal team to maneuver through this mess. Not a team of "group huggers" singing We Are The World.
boognish_bear

Robert Wilson
whitetrash said:

PartyBear said:

The last time we had to go through legal maneuvering like this, we had a former Solicitor General of the United States leading us. This time we have a Woke Okie who goes around looking for racism under statues.

Indeed

Nice of us to commit hari kari on our football program before a re-ordering.

At least we already swung the basketball national championship

If A&M had any sense, there was a no UT clause in their SEC contract. But they are A&M, so they probably did not negotiate that clause.
Russell Gym
Robert Wilson said:

whitetrash said:

PartyBear said:

Indeed

Nice of us to commit hari kari on our football program before a re-ordering.

At least we already swung the basketball national championship

If A&M had any sense, there was a no UT clause in their SEC contract. But they are A&M, so they probably did not negotiate that clause.

SEC would never give that clause.
Brian the Dog
whitetrash said:

fadskier said:

The article says that ACC and the PAC will follow and get to 16 as will the Big10
SEC + ACC + B1G + PAC12 x 16 each = 64 schools.

There are currently 64 P5 schools + Notre Dame = 65.

Only one would have to go.....

The only problem I see with that argument is it assumes no one outside the current P5 cuts in line. I see BYU, Boise State, UNLV, Colorado State, Cincinnati, Memphis & UCF just to name a few all campaigning for spots. All are better positioned geographically than the Big 12 leftovers.
PartyBear
I doubt OU bolts if Texas doesn't due to being vetoed thus far evidentially.
gobears20
Staff
And our big 12 commissioner asleep at the wheel.
boognish_bear
whitetrash said:

fadskier said:

The article says that ACC and the PAC will follow and get to 16 as will the Big10
SEC + ACC + B1G + PAC12 x 16 each = 64 schools.

There are currently 64 P5 schools + Notre Dame = 65.

Only one would have to go.....

That math is assuming that one of the G5s that have raised their football profile like UCF or Cincy that might make more regional sense in B1G or ACC don't jump ahead of some lower tier P5s

(Oops, looks like me and Brian the Dog posted the same sentiments at the same time)
Robert Wilson
gobears20 said:

All of that ass-kissing he has been giving UT over the years has availed us What exactly?

This is why acting weak and desperate is always the wrong thing to do. Yet it is what we always do. Amazing.
boognish_bear
Can we get our portion of the withheld 25% back from OU and UT before they turn out the lights?
boognish_bear
gobears20 said:

boognish_bear
So if Mizzu and Aggy are voting "no" there would only need to be 2 more "no" votes to squash this.

ABC BEAR
Chortle, Chortle at Texas in the SEC. The thought of that 900 pound diva shoving its way in and ordering everyone else around is comical.
Robert Wilson
I will add this. If they let this get leaked and they do not make it into the SEC, that is just damn embarrassing for the B12 conference. The leak makes me think it is very serious. This would be like proposing on the Jumbotron and getting turned down.
DanaDane
Can't wait for the OU and UT AD's to go into a SEC meeting demanding things as the SEC Commish and other schools giggle in their faces before telling them to sit down and STFU -- they don't run the SEC.
muddybrazos
Aggy, Mizzou and Ark would no vote. I bet there will be another school that likes to recruit Texas that could vote no.
TenBears
Man, when the SWC announced the break up I thought I was going to have a heart attack. I really couldn't care less about this. **** UT and OU. I just want to go see some games, tailgate and go to Georges. I'll enjoy watching the most overrated program in the history of the planet getting rolled in the SEC.
PartyBear
Robert Wilson said:

I will add this. If they let this get leaked and they do not make it into the SEC, that is just damn embarrassing for the B12 conference. The leak makes me think it is very serious. This would be like proposing on the Jumbotron and getting turned down.

Perhaps it was leaked with the motive to kill the move.
Robert Wilson
PartyBear said:

Robert Wilson said:

Maybe. Gomer AD already went public against it. He may be trying to rally b12 state legislatures to help kill it as he gathers sec no votes.
boognish_bear
muddybrazos said:

Aggy, Mizzou and Ark would no vote. I bet there will be another school that likes to recruit Texas that could vote no.

LSU might vote "no" just out of spite just to get back at UT for "AC-gate"
CorsicanaBear
Was this the real reason Kim decided to go home to Louisiana? Why the basketball arena has not been announced?
CTbruin
CorsicanaBear said:

Was this the real reason Kim decided to go home to Louisiana? Why the basketball arena has not been announced?

No
caesarscott
Losing ut and OU is an unmitigated disaster from which baylor sports cannot recover.
Pecos 45
Houston Chronicle says it's pretty much a done deal. Just waiting on the announcement.

"The University of Texas and University of Oklahoma have both talked to the Southeastern Conference about the possibility of leaving the Big 12 to join the SEC, according to the Houston Chronicle's Brent Zwerneman.
Adding the Longhorns and Sooners would give the SEC 16 schools and leave the Big 12 with just eight, possibly opening the door for the University of Houston to join the league it has had its eyes on ever since the Southwest Conference dissolved in 1996. Of course, the SEC going to 16 members could trigger further conference movement with the ACC, Pac-12 and Big 10 all looking to move to 16 school as well.
“If you have a job without aggravations, you don’t have a job.”
Malcolm Forbes
muddybrazos
Get the ACC on the phone and get us a spot in there. Good hoops conf and decent football.
whitetrash
PartyBear said:

Robert Wilson said:

Could be. Zwerneman (who broke the story) has been an Aggy beat writer for years (first for the SA express-news, now the Chronicle) and is about as big an Aggy homer as there is (naturally, he's a SHSU grad so he's a poser). Would be surprised if would post a story that would be in opposition to the Aggy party line.
Bear8084
Pecos 45 said:

Houston Chronicle says it's pretty much a done deal. Just waiting on the announcement.

"The University of Texas and University of Oklahoma have both talked to the Southeastern Conference about the possibility of leaving the Big 12 to join the SEC, according to the Houston Chronicle's Brent Zwerneman.
Adding the Longhorns and Sooners would give the SEC 16 schools and leave the Big 12 with just eight, possibly opening the door for the University of Houston to join the league it has had its eyes on ever since the Southwest Conference dissolved in 1996. Of course, the SEC going to 16 members could trigger further conference movement with the ACC, Pac-12 and Big 10 all looking to move to 16 school as well.
The University of Texas and University of Oklahoma have both talked to the Southeastern Conference about the possibility of leaving the Big 12 to join the SEC, according to the Houston Chronicle's Brent Zwerneman.
Adding the Longhorns and Sooners would give the SEC 16 schools and leave the Big 12 with just eight, possibly opening the door for the University of Houston to join the league it has had its eyes on ever since the Southwest Conference dissolved in 1996. Of course, the SEC going to 16 members could trigger further conference movement with the ACC, Pac-12 and Big 10 all looking to move to 16 school as well."

Nothing is a done deal in conference realignment rumors.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.