Football
Sponsored by

Supposedly Texas and OU have reached out to the SEC about joining

57,781 Views | 475 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by boognish_bear
MT_Bear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Forest Bueller_bf said:

whitetrash said:

fadskier said:

The article says that ACC and the PAC will follow and get to 16 as will the Big10
SEC + ACC + B1G + PAC12 x 16 each = 64 schools.

There are currently 64 P5 schools + Notre Dame = 65.

Only one would have to go.....
Good point.

Will take some really really poor political dealing for Baylor to miss the cut. 64 out of 65 in, one out.

Unless some better mid majors take this as their opportunity to displace several teams currently P5.
No one who's making the decisions care about some nifty little 64 number. The PAC, B1G and ACC will expand if they can add teams that will raise the finances for the entire conference. If they can't, they won't.
gobears20
Staff
Surely Bob knew this was coming. He was just sitting back and not being proactive on trying to make this conference better.

Texas does know they won't be able to take their beloved Bevo Network with them, don't they?
PartyBear
I still find it a bit hard to believe that the powers that be in the Oklahoma Capitol are just going to let OU leave OSU high and dry. There is a complication coming from somewhere really soon I would imagine.
DanaDane
The SEC already doesn't view itself as one of the P5. Add UT and OU brands and they will have no interest in being part of some mythical 4, 16 team conference concept. They can bunde the conference by itself and make more money than the other 3 remaining conferences combined from media rights, just like they easily outdistance all the conferences in payouts today.

And, the NCAA is basically dead. Mark Emmert, NCAA president, even said earlier in the week it was time to decentralize and transfer power back to the conferences.

Bowlsby didn't fall asleep. He basically performed the role he was told by UT and OU -- serve as a cover.
Stranger
Bexar Pitts said:

CizzLark said:

Man am I glad we built our football stadium when we did.
Is it paid for?

not even close
Stranger
ImABearToo said:

Spot on. We'll need a Starr level legal team to maneuver through this mess. Not a team of "group huggers" singing We Are The World.

makes me wonder. If Starr was such a legal eagle, why did the lawyers at the law school not want him hanging around after Baylor fired him. I heard his legal prowess was less than stellar.
BU82EX
If memory serves me correctly, I believe there is some legislative wrangling that will have to go on with both UT and OU. I would be shocked if UT will get a legislative blessing without taking TT and the same with OU and OSU. I don't know the exact implications, but guessing it has to do with state school funding. Not sure what BU alumnus we have serving in the legislature and what influence they have. I think it was Ann Richards and Bob Bullock who used their political power to get us into the Big XII instead of TCU, UH or SMU.
PartyBear
Starr had nothing to do with the XII surviving 11 years ago and in fact Starr's little letters he sent out did nothing to stop the 4 who left from leaving. It was all on Texas deciding they were still better off in the XII that saved the XII back then.
boognish_bear
muddybrazos said:

Get the ACC on the phone and get us a spot in there. Good hoops conf and decent football.

Def a better fit for us than B1G or PAC
Stranger
PartyBear said:

Starr had nothing to do with the XII surviving 11 years ago and in fact Starr's little letters he sent out did nothing to stop the 4 who left from leaving. It was all on Texas deciding they were still better off in the XII that saved the XII back then.

There were real reasons Kenny Starr was fired.
EvilTroyAndAbed
CorsicanaBear said:

Was this the real reason Kim decided to go home to Louisiana? Why the basketball arena has not been announced?

No. This is about football. Nothing else.
PartyBear
boognish_bear said:

muddybrazos said:

Get the ACC on the phone and get us a spot in there. Good hoops conf and decent football.

I'm not sure fits mean much. UT and Austin are about as much a fit with the southeast as UCLA and LA.
KajunKarlsdad
muddybrazos said:

It would suck for us but would be hilarious to watch aggy get whipped every year by OU & TX just like old times.

And all 3 get slapped around by Bama and LSU.
Aliceinbubbleland
Agreed. I think this is a Houston sports beat writer hoping he can make room for the Coogs in what's left if OU leaves. There is absolutely no way UT goes SEC. This would be an admission that aggy was right and UT can't do that. They belong in the Pac12 or better yet, Independent.

With the playoffs expansion conference affiliation will not be so important. In fact right now it's a joke.

We voted ourselves out of any conference expansion in May 2016 and we will cement that with any expansion due to the no alcohol policy. That won't go over in any conference.
gobears20
Staff
Isn't the reason Texas didn't want the SEC the last time was because of the academic standards?

How the SEC schools rank among National Universities
  • Vanderbilt University: 14 (tie)
  • University of Florida: 30 (tie)
  • University of Georgia: 47 (tie)
  • Texas A&M University: 66 (tie)
  • Auburn University: 97 (tie)
  • University of Tennessee: 112 (tie)
  • University of South Carolina: 118 (tie)
  • University of Missouri: 124 (tie)
  • University of Kentucky: 133 (tie)
  • University of Alabama: 143 (tie)
  • Louisiana State UniversityBaton Rouge: 153 (tie)
  • University of Arkansas: 160 (tie)
  • University of Mississippi: 160 (tie)
  • Mississippi State University: 206 (tie)
muddybrazos
gobears20 said:

Isn't the reason Texas didn't want the SEC the last time was because of the academic standards?
SEC has a lot more highly ranked academic schools than b12.
Aliceinbubbleland
Yes although the Big 12 is no Ivy League. UT current students and faculty have no affiliation with the South whatsoever and it is growing every year. Old money UT had died off so the chances of them going east is remote unless they skip to ACC.
MT_Bear
boognish_bear said:

muddybrazos said:

Fit doesn't matter when the ACC is literally the only other P5 who would even remotely consider us.
ilbb990912
Stranger said:

Bexar Pitts said:

CizzLark said:

Man am I glad we built our football stadium when we did.
Is it paid for?

not even close
thank God for Bidenflation then!!
Aliceinbubbleland
No way any P5 is interested in us at this point. We poised ourselves.
MT_Bear
Aliceinbubbleland said:

There is absolutely no way UT goes SEC. This would be an admission that aggy was right and UT can't do that. They belong in the Pac12 or better yet, Independent.

UT will go if the money is right. The money would not be right in the PAC (not even close) and independence is a shaky proposition at best.

They don't care about "admitting aggy was right" but they care about "showing aggy who daddy is again." A&M has been building in recruiting, steadily. Plus UT would get its three historical rivals back (OU, A&M, and Arkansas) with this move.
muddybrazos
Aliceinbubbleland said:

I think bc of our hoops success and decent football program they might consider us. That would be ideal. Other than that i guess we add ucf, smu, houston, memphis and cincy to the b12.
MT_Bear
Aliceinbubbleland said:

I agree with you here. My earlier post saying the ACC was the only one that would even "remotely consider" us was meant to emphasize the point you're making here.
Aliceinbubbleland
Absolutely no way UT goes SEC. This is a Houston sports writers dream. They will burn down the 40 acres before they allow the Admin to go SEC.

Remember the Woke Band Split? They ain't playing Dixie.
Aliceinbubbleland
Understood. Thx.
MT_Bear
Aliceinbubbleland said:

Absolutely no way UT goes SEC. This is a Houston sports writers dream. They will burn down the 40 acres before they allow the Admin to go SEC.

Remember the Woke Band Split? They ain't playing Dixie.
Strongly disagree. Would work great for them in this situation where OU goes along.
Stefano DiMera
Sorry youre wrong here..its going to happen..ACC is our only chance..

And the only thing we did to hurt our chances is be a small Christian school with a tiny alumni base..

You think if Clemson and North Carolina and Florida State were bolting the ACC that other conferences would be clamoring for Wake Forest?
Aliceinbubbleland
UT always played OU when they were in the Big Six, Big Seven and Big Eight. They will always play OU regardless of conference affiliation. They'd even try and tell the SEC they ain't coming if they can't play OU at 1pm on second saturday of October.
BearFan33
Dont we open up a Texas market for the ACC? Is expanding about widening you tv markets?
PartyBear
We aren't really that small. We are about half the size of of UT at this point. That said I'm not saying we will necessarily be P5 post XII.
Aliceinbubbleland
We are not a small Christian school by any means. We lost that title in the expansion era at BU throwing up buildings everywhere and increasing enrollment to a large size University. We just do not have a fan base that travels well. We'd be lucky to have 3k in attendance at OU or OSU and probably couldn't muster 2K at UT for that constant fear of losing.
Stefano DiMera
We do...but this is the one area fans and alumni can actually make a difference rather than *****ing about the Regents, stopping your donations, etc.

Every person on this site needs to be at least a Bear Foundation member or a season ticket holder at the least..Preferably both..and if you are..increase your donation tomorrow.

Every football game should be a sellout..and after what Drew and Co. did the Ferrell Center should be the same..

Thats how you can make a difference.
Stefano DiMera
Arent we like 16k or 17k? Isnt UT like 48k or more? Thats 3 times smaller..we only have 100k living alumni..i bet you UT may be 10 times more.
Stefano DiMera
See my reply to PartyBear above.
boognish_bear
Stefano DiMera said:

And the only thing we did to hurt our chances is be a small Christian school with a tiny alumni base..

I'm afraid we come with a little more baggage than just that

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.