Football
Sponsored by

Supposedly Texas and OU have reached out to the SEC about joining

57,814 Views | 475 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by boognish_bear
chukronos
How long do you want to ignore this user?
McCavebear said:

aggy's AD went on record on Twitter 25 minutes ago saying he is against it. He wants tamu to be the only Texas team in sec.
No-one in the SEC cares what the Aggies think.
Stefano DiMera
UT has 560,000 living alumni . 6 times bigger than us..and 3 times the enrollment
boognish_bear
Stefano DiMera
UT enrollment 52k. BU 17k
boognish_bear
Yuck

PartyBear
To be precise Baylor has 19,500 students. UT Austin has 51,000. My point is we are not some tiny school. We have probably been building up our own base of alums in terms of numbers over the past 20 years as well. I would guess we have churned out close to 100k alums just this century thus far and there are certainly a large number of living 20th Century alums as well.
BellCountyBear
PartyBear said:

To be precise Baylor has 19,500 students. UT Austin has 51,000. My point is we are not some tiny school like Tulsa or Tulane as some like to think.
Or Vandy.
Stranger
TCU, SMU, Houston, Rice, Oklahoma State, Texas Tech, Tulane, Southern Mississippi, Memphis, Cincinnati, West Virginia & Baylor.

Read it and weep.
RD2WINAGNBEAR86
Baylor University proved back in May of 2016 that they were not ready for the bright lights. Our administration has pretty much confirmed this ever since. Perhaps we be!ong in the FCS. It is what it is. At this point, it matters not to me.

Sic 'em Bears!!!!

"Never underestimate Joe's ability to **** things up!"

-- Barack Obama
BBWCBear
CorsicanaBear said:

Quote:

Man am I glad we built our football stadium when we did.
In 3 or 4 years I may be able to afford a loge box to watch the annual renewal of our rivalry against North Texas.
Weeds may be growing between the cracking concrete by then. I can't see much positive for BU. NIL, SEC, big State schools... Bu can't compete. The 12 playoff system and BU STILL can't get a seat.
PartyBear
As I said with the expanded play off it may not be bad to be G5 if you can still recruit well. Cincinnati tends to be able to. We can dominate a G5 schedule and be a near annual play off participant.
Aberzombie1892
UT and OU saw the writing in the wall for the next media deal, and their leaving of the Big 12 is catastrophic to all of the remaining programs. Even if the other P4 move to 16 teams, it's unlikely that programs like Cincinnati would not be added to the P4 over some Big 12 teams if for no other reason than geography.

More info:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.si.com/.amp/college/2021/07/21/texas-oklahoma-sec-rumors-expansion-ncaa
Robert Wilson
PartyBear said:

As I said with the expanded play off it may not be bad to be G5 if you can still recruit well. Cincinnati tends to be able to. We can dominate a G5 schedule and be a near annual play off participant.

Except at financially it will be crippling
Stefano DiMera
We are tiny compared to the 65 Power 5 schools and Notre Dame..who do we beat? TCU ..Wake Forest..cant be more than a handful...and the 100k living alumni is a current figure..pales in comparison to the large state schools.

Hence my post about support and giving..
PartyBear
What can help Baylor is that it sits right in the middle of the 35 corridor in Texas that is booming in population.
Robert Wilson
Aberzombie1892 said:

UT and OU saw the writing in the wall for the next media deal, and their leaving of the Big 12 is catastrophic to all of the remaining programs. Even if the other P4 move to 16 teams, it's unlikely that programs like Cincinnati would not be added to the P4 over some Big 12 teams if for no other reason than geography.

More info:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.si.com/.amp/college/2021/07/21/texas-oklahoma-sec-rumors-expansion-ncaa

Spot on, and this is why the big 12 never expanded. UT and OU did not want to expand. They never planned on staying.

This is like the spouse that refused to have a baby.
Stefano DiMera
Yall need to forget this Big 12 surviving pipe dream..its done..4 super conferences..
boognish_bear
I know the 16 team conference thing isn't set in stone, but if it's going to be that way the ACC currently has 14 teams. Not a lot of seats left for this game of musical chairs.

WVU certainly makes sense out there.
BluesBear
I would happily move to the ACC
Bear8084
boognish_bear said:

I know the 16 team conference thing isn't set in stone, but if it's going to be that way the ACC currently has 14 teams. Not a lot of seats left for this game of musical chairs.

True, nothing is set in stone. And as with any conference realignment rumors....this one has a long way to go.
Aliceinbubbleland
IF UT does make a move I can only see it being Independent (LHN problems) or ACC if ESPN is willing to be middle man on network.

OU is easy fit but backwards states like Oklahoma with a Legislature that has the equivalent of a 9th grade education will save OSU.
BBWCBear
muddybrazos said:

Aliceinbubbleland said:

No way any P5 is interested in us at this point. We poised ourselves.
I think bc of our hoops success and decent football program they might consider us. That would be ideal. Other than that i guess we add ucf, smu, houston, memphis and cincy to the b12.
FOOTBALL and $$$$$$$$$$ is all that matters.
ImABearToo
Why would SEC lower it's standards and pick up these 2?
PartyBear
boognish_bear said:

So does Cincinnati.
Stefano DiMera
What standards? And i ask that question literally and sarcastically.
Proud 1992 Alum
Damn. The whining on this tread is ridiculous. Baylor will be fine. As long as the top tier conferences have 64 or so colleges, we should be in. Baylor is not a small university. Texas & A&M are not normal state schools. They are huge. Because Baylor alums are used to comparing ourselves to them, some may think of Baylor as small but it compares well to colleges across the country, especially private ones. The only private colleges that are bigger are BYU and USC I think.
PartyBear
Robert Wilson said:

PartyBear said:

Except at financially it will be crippling

That is the conventional wisdom. But how much would we make off our brand if we were in the play off as often as Bama in this hypo and how much would that offset not being in a P5 from a money stand point?
Blue&SilverBear
So in the 16 team super conference scenario...

SEC takes UT and OU, capped at 16.
Big Ten takes KU and... who to get to 16? They want Notre Dame, but the Irish have their ACC deal. ISU and KSU add nothing to the footprint and both are small market states. OSU? WVU?
ACC takes... Notre Dame? WVU? Both?
PAC takes... who? There are no natural fits at this point. BYU and Boise make the most geographic and probably financial sense but aren't cultural fits.

ISU, KSU, OSU, Tech, Baylor, and TCU don't have natural homes. A full merger with the AAC or a new conference formed like the Mountain West was are probably the most likely scenarios, but if the PAC or ACC are looking to add from the Big XII remnants Baylor has to look pretty attractive compared to the others.
Sink Navy - Sic 'em Bears
Aberzombie1892
PartyBear said:

boognish_bear said:

So does Cincinnati.

Those two would be the most likely targets for the ACC (unless Notre Dame fully joins) and that's what makes it so scary - if the SEC and ACC are full and OU/UT/WVU/Cincinnati are off the board, who would the B1G take? To be honest, the B1G is still in a position to raid the ACC again if it came to that.
DanaDane
No matter which way you change the checkers, Baylor and TCU are screwed.

Ok Sate and Tech may luck out with a spot in the Pac 12.
PartyBear
Cincinnati would seem to be a logical target of the BiG as well.

I'm not sure TCU is so screwed sitting in DFW. They seem to be more a fit with the PAC than Tech and OSU to me.
Aliceinbubbleland
Tech belongs out there with their desert brethern. OSU, I have no clue. Maybe Missouri Valley can be resurrected?
Blue&SilverBear
PartyBear said:

Cincinnati would seem to be a logical target of the BiG as well.
Except they have the Ohio market locked up with Ohio State. Cincinnati hurts Ohio State recruiting, doesn't add a new media market, and isn't a brand name.
Sink Navy - Sic 'em Bears
boognish_bear
These are the P5 private schools that I can think of listed with their undergraduate enrollments:

Baylor (20,000)
USC (20,000)
Syracuse (15,000)
Miami (11,000)
ND (9,000)
BC (9,000)
Northwestern (8,000)
Vandy (7,000)
Duke (7,000)
Stanford (7,000)
Wake Forest (5,000)
Aliceinbubbleland
Tulane is around 13k. Tulsa maybe 6K? Whoops. You said P5

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.