Football
Sponsored by

Supposedly Texas and OU have reached out to the SEC about joining

57,619 Views | 475 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by boognish_bear
Baylorbears111
How long do you want to ignore this user?
fadskier said:

boognish_bear said:

Yuck

No, instead of Tulsa, colo St, and ndsutake Memphis, UCF and East Carolina and/or Cincy

That alignment wouldn't happen. Assuming the rest of the Bug 12 sticks together, those brand and properties are more valuable than the AAC or MWC. They'd have their choice of additions. Cincy might go to the ACC if Notre Dame balks at joining, but that would be about it.
PartyBear
BearFan33 said:

Hopefully, by now, Mack has a good relationship with all ACC leadership. We knew this day would come.

Being an Arizona grad, and how he presents himself it seems to me his dream is to get a nice P5 AD position on the West Coast. Hopefully he has ties out that way as well.
Robert Wilson
PartyBear said:

I think y'all believe religion is some huge factor for everyone because it is for you. This is business. Texas for example doesn't care if it's HC is Mormon and neither did UW. Cal and now USC don't care about the religious up bringing in Texas of Dykes and Helton.

It's about money. Baylor has changed quite a bit as well since 11 years ago. 11 years ago we were just coming out of the trauma of Sloan's 10 year attempt to turn Baylor into another Liberty. Yes that type of place is unattractive. And our reputation had been damaged at that point. Now Baylor is a large private school more like SMU and TCU but about the size of most flagship and land grant state schools around the country. Making it a private school more like USC and Miami that has built up a good athletic brand over the past 10 years as well. It isn't unattractive. Also perhaps our conservative BOR had wind of some of this and hence why they voted to allow homosexual clubs are allowed on campus now. That said I'm not claiming Baylor is the hottest brand out there and will bring a lot of eyes from Texas with it. I do think we could be a decent candidate for P5s.
We believe it's a big factor because the Pac 10 schools said that last time.
oso de esqui
I think there is more power in Oklahoma and Texas legislature than one may think. It is not just us this time. It is Tech, TCU, and us. An instant no vote on everything you want from the state for the next 20 years seems like a pretty good size stick to me.
Aberzombie1892
muddybrazos said:

Aberzombie1892 said:

Robert Wilson said:

PartyBear said:

Aberzombie1892 said:

PartyBear said:

Who in the G5 would jump a P5 in a realignment? That list is not big. I see only BYU and Cincinnati as potential.

Neither the ACC nor SEC need Florida for example? Likewise no major conference that would need Colorado doesn't already have the state of Colorado. There isn't any attraction to having the little state of Tennessee, unless perhaps you are the SEC and you therefore have had that one locked up for 100 years.

On the other hand I can see all 3 of the other remaining P5s having an interest in getting into Texas and the geography fits (at least loosely) as well for all of them.

I think only perhaps only as many as 2 P5s would realistically be displaced in the creation of this mythical 4 16 team P5 conference.

There is interest in Texas, but only if the value is there as no conference wants to expand and take a pay cut for existing teams. Texas and Texas A&M will be fine, but, after that, it will be questionable - the SEC and B1G are the only P5s that can raid other P5s, so all eyes will be on the B1G to see if it targets the ACC or Missouri (which previously preferred the B1G to SEC) before seeing if there will be homes for other Texas schools. At a high level, Tech seems most likely to lend somewhere, possibly the PAC.

I don't see what is so great about Tech. If you are the PAC and you want into Texas, going with sparsely populated West Texas doesn't appear to be the most attractive move in the state even if it is a closer geographically than the others.

They'd rather have a larger state school and know they're clear of all religious affiliation.
There are several variables, but those are among them. In top tier college football, large state schools generally dominate due to higher enrollments, higher living alumni numbers, state government and state wide citizen support, higher ticket and merchandise sales, higher viewership/attendance, and lack of religious affiliation. All of those factors generally push Tech to the #3 slot in the state of Texas. As Robert mentioned, that final item - the lack of religious affiliation - is huge for the PAC and that will keep Baylor, TCU, SMU, BYU and similar schools out of the PAC. That's significant, because those teams aren't getting invites to the SEC or B1G, and so that just leaves the ACC, which is quite a distance away.

All of this ignores Houston, which actually spoke with the PAC 12 a few years ago about joining even though it was not a good fit at that time. Maybe Tech and Houston to PAC? It's not pretty, but, given the variables at play, it wouldn't be the worst thing ever for that conference.

https://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2016/7/18/12218248/houston-pac-12-big-12-conference-realignment-rumors
The ACC is not far away compared to the PAC 12. Cali, Oregon and Wash are much farther away than Florida, NC, SC, Georgia etc.
Personally, I agree.

The issue is that if we assume no one raids the ACC, their closest team to Texas is Georgia Tech in Atlanta, so the supermajority of the current ACC membership would want to expand from Atlanta through Alabama, Mississippi, and Louisiana/Arkansas just to get to Texas, and the concern there is whether the programs that they would be adding (1) would be worth the additional travel costs and (2) would increase media payouts enough to give the new members a full share and all existing members a raise. Would the ACC expand for Texas, Texas A&M, or Oklahoma? Sure. Anyone else in that region outside of LSU? That's debatable. Imagine Syracuse vs. Baylor as a conference game - that's a tough sell for everyone involved.

For the PAC12, they're not interested in religiously affiliated schools, and, unless that changes, it is what it is and that's why Baylor's position is so precarious.
PartyBear
Robert Wilson said:

PartyBear said:

I think y'all believe religion is some huge factor for everyone because it is for you. This is business. Texas for example doesn't care if it's HC is Mormon and neither did UW. Cal and now USC don't care about the religious up bringing in Texas of Dykes and Helton.

It's about money. Baylor has changed quite a bit as well since 11 years ago. 11 years ago we were just coming out of the trauma of Sloan's 10 year attempt to turn Baylor into another Liberty. Yes that type of place is unattractive. And our reputation had been damaged at that point. Now Baylor is a large private school more like SMU and TCU but about the size of most flagship and land grant state schools around the country. Making it a private school more like USC and Miami that has built up a good athletic brand over the past 10 years as well. It isn't unattractive. Also perhaps our conservative BOR had wind of some of this and hence why they voted to allow homosexual clubs are allowed on campus now. That said I'm not claiming Baylor is the hottest brand out there and will bring a lot of eyes from Texas with it. I do think we could be a decent candidate for P5s.

I believe it was posters on Baylorfans saying they said that actually.
RegentCoverup
boognish_bear said:

This sums it up.

I'll bet total viewership declines because of this. I go to a lot of SEC games, but this will kill me watching other games on a Fri/Sat.

This site leaks private information to Baylor Regents and Administration
Method Man
Part of what made Texas such an attractive football program was them taking advantage of all of their natural advantages over schools that did not have those advantages.

Once those advantages left....Texas became a pretty average football program.

If Texas wants to leave....then let em. They haven't had a great football team since 2009 and them moving to the SEC will be the end of Texas as a top tier program.
ABC BEAR
The way I see this playing out:

SEC: Votes to go to 16 teams by adding OU & OSU, UT is deemed too controversial.

B1G: Needs to add football schools this time and offers Notre Dame & West Virginia, both in its current footprint.

ACC: Adds UCF & USF or West Virginia if not picked by the B1G.

PAC: In order to regain relevancy they need football schools outside of its current footprint and merge with XII remnants Texas, TT, BU, TCU, KU, KSU, ISU and add BYU & Boise State for a 20 team colossus split into two divisions, the Pacific 10 and the Mountain 10. The conference office will be in Las Vegas which will also be the site of all conference tournaments and championship games. George Kliavkoff, current Pac 12 commissioner will remain as commissioner.

Robert Wilson
PartyBear said:

Robert Wilson said:

PartyBear said:

The Pac took Utah and CU over BYU. That's all you need to know.
muddybrazos
Method Man said:

Part of what made Texas such an attractive football program was them taking advantage of all of their natural advantages over schools that did not have those advantages.

If Texas wants to leave....then let em. They haven't had a great football team since 2009 and them moving to the SEC will be the end of Texas as a top tier program.
They will be fine. They will go back to beating the ags every year and they will beat the miss st, arky and ole miss'. The SEC is the best conference but Scar, Kentucky, Tenn, Vandy, Ole miss, MIss st, Mizzoo scare nobody. Bama is on another level but the deck will reshuffle in a few years when Saban retires.
Method Man
Robert Wilson said:

PartyBear said:

Robert Wilson said:

PartyBear said:

That was a smart business decision.

No way you take a school that comes with its own special rules about not playing on Sunday.....especially when the Utes pull the same TV market.
Method Man
muddybrazos said:

Method Man said:

They will be fine. They will go back to beating the ags every year and they will beat the miss st, arky and ole miss'. The SEC is the best conference but Scar, Kentucky, Tenn, Vandy, Ole miss, MIss st, Mizzoo scare nobody. Bama is on another level but the deck will reshuffle in a few years when Saban retires.
Fine......who cares about fine.

I didn't grow up worshipping the Texas Longhorns like a lot of older Baylor alums.

In my lifetime of watching college football (since the 1980's) they are generally a pretty average program....especially if you take out the Mack Brown years.

The Texas Longorns are an average college football program....and going to the SEC will only make them more pedestrian.

PartyBear
ABC BEAR said:

SEC: Votes to go to 16 teams by adding OU & OSU, UT is deemed too controversial.

B1G: Needs to add football schools this time and offers Notre Dame & West Virginia, both in its current footprint.

PAC: In order to regain relevancy they need football schools outside of its current footprint and merge with XII remnants Texas, TT, BU, TCU, KU, KSU, ISU and add BYU & Boise State for a 20 team colossus split into two divisions, the Pacific 10 and the Mountain 10. The conference office will be in Las Vegas which will also be the site of all conference tournaments and championship games. George Kliavkoff, current Pac 12 commissioner will remain as commissioner.

The ACC doesn't need to take up space with more Florida schools. I don't see the BiG adding USF and or UCF over a current P5.

Boise is not attractive at all. I'm not sure why folks see them jumping to P5.
RegentCoverup
Method Man said:

Fine......who cares about fine.

I didn't grow up worshipping the Texas Longhorns like a lot of older Baylor alums.

wait, wut?

I've never heard a Baylor fan even suggest that.
Robert Wilson
Method Man said:

Robert Wilson said:

PartyBear said:

Robert Wilson said:

PartyBear said:

No way you take a school that comes with its own special rules about not playing on Sunday.....especially when the Utes pull the same TV market.

Byu pulls tv all over the country

Cu pulls none anywhere
ABC BEAR
PartyBear said:

ABC BEAR said:

The ACC doesn't need to take up space with more Florida schools. I don't see the BiG adding USF and or UCF over a current P5.

I don't see this next round of realignment making much sense.....more of a land grab, get it while you can.
whitetrash
Robert Wilson said:

Method Man said:

Robert Wilson said:

PartyBear said:

Robert Wilson said:

PartyBear said:

Byu pulls rv all over the country

Cu pulls none anywhere
CU pulls VW microbuses all over the country.

PartyBear
ABC BEAR said:

PartyBear said:

ABC BEAR said:

I don't see this next round of realignment making much sense.....more of a land grab, get it while you can.

It will be about $$.
muddybrazos
I don't think the Pac 12 is a stable conference. It wouldnt shock me if Cal or Colorado drops football bc of lack of interest.
RegentCoverup
ABC BEAR said:

PartyBear said:

ABC BEAR said:

Yeah, Oklahoma gets 40% of it's tax revenue from energy, outside of that, the public support for universities in a **** show. They're willing to cut Oklahoma State out of the picture so that Oklahoma can potentially flatline. That's faulty logic at it's finest and I honestly feel for the Oklahoma State fans. They are getting screwed. Again.

I think this is in our(Baylor) best interest to be honest, the more we pressure the states to absorb the losses of their sports programs, the more attractive Baylor is as a university.

historian
McCavebear said:

PartyBear said:

As per bleacher report. I'm frankly a bit surprised that Texas would want in that league. They are not exactly a fit.
I am skeptical about this too. The old Texas exes despise tamu for leaving to the sec. (And they didn't like them much before Ha!)

This would put ut playing tamu again.

And ou? Why would they want to leave? They have mostly dominated Big !2 in football since inception.
Maybe some at OU think the way some Aggies did in 2011: playing better football teams in the SEC would make them better, more competitive, and therefore, more likely to win another national championship. The problem with that theory is that except for Alabama, few of their football teams are consistently really good. Not Auburn, not Ole Miss, not LSU, not Florida (although good lately), not Tennessee, etc. Certainly not Vandy, Arkansas, Kentucky, or S Carolina. Also, except for a couple good years, it hasn't done anything for A&M. Yes, they made it to some good bowl games and had some good wins (even some 10+ win seasons) but they have never played for the conference title or been in the playoffs and are unlikely to do either. Well, with an expanded playoff they might have a shot but that's true for lots of teams and every conference.
“Incline my heart to your testimonies, and not to selfish gain!”
Psalm 119:36
historian
boognish_bear said:

I heard somewhere that Oklahoma had a law requiring both schools to be in the same conference. Is this the case?
“Incline my heart to your testimonies, and not to selfish gain!”
Psalm 119:36
ABC BEAR
historian said:

boognish_bear said:

I heard somewhere that Oklahoma had a law requiring both schools to be in the same conference. Is this the case?
As I said in a previous post, I see the SEC being more interested in taking OU & OSU because they are a good fit for a new West Division and neither brings the baggage or resentment that Texas does.
RegentCoverup
I don't see the SEC taking Oklahoma State.

Let's face it, it's a different school without T. Boone.
GruntTuff
I wonder what Vanderbilt thinks about this. Other than baseball, of which no one cares, they basically have no viable athletic programs. The last time Vandy made sense in the SEC was about 1960. Perhaps a growing percentage of their alumni don't care. They are the only private in the SEC and will be 16th of 16 in football forever. Maybe they upset Texas occasionally and we all get a good laugh!

Seriously, I have to wonder if Vanderbilt wants, or needs, the SEC berth. Sure it brings in cash to support an athletic program few of their alums or students care about, but beyond that, why does a Vanderbilt care to stay in the SEC and be a perpetual whipping boy?

I could see Vandy saying no mas and that 16th spot being up for grabs. It would probably go to West Virginia or Oklahoma State, but is there a possibility it might be competitive for Baylor?

I don't know many Vandy grads who might add some insight. If I were a Vandy alum I'd be really tired of being a whipping boy....with no possibility for change in sight.
saabing bear
Been sick of this crap since the '60s hearing tu fans yelling "super conference" at every football game.
Aliceinbubbleland
If we get dumped there is no need to panic. The CFP is on our side as it will expand. We just need to do what TCU did in the MW. Dominate wherever we land, get a low seed in the CFP and nip one of the big dawgs in the ass in that game
ABC BEAR
TellMeYouLoveMe said:

OU & OSU would provide natural rivalry games for Arkansas, Missouri and A&M and would make a realigned West Division more cohesive. Not too may teams out there who would be a better fit for the SEC at this point.
Stranger
GruntTuff said:

I wonder what Vanderbilt thinks about this. Other than baseball, of which no one cares, they basically have no viable athletic programs. The last time Vandy made sense in the SEC was about 1960. Perhaps a growing percentage of their alumni don't care. They are the only private in the SEC and will be 16th of 16 in football forever. Maybe they upset Texas occasionally and we all get a good laugh!

Seriously, I have to wonder if Vanderbilt wants, or needs, the SEC berth. Sure it brings in cash to support an athletic program few of their alums or students care about, but beyond that, why does a Vanderbilt care to stay in the SEC and be a perpetual whipping boy?

I could see Vandy saying no mas and that 16th spot being up for grabs. It would probably go to West Virginia or Oklahoma State, but is there a possibility it might be competitive for Baylor?

I don't know many Vandy grads who might add some insight. If I were a Vandy alum I'd be really tired of being a whipping boy....with no possibility for change in sight.

I, personally, am glad to get an opinion from the Land of Enchantment. Would love to see you two if you wander over to the Fort Worth area. Adios, amigo.
Aliceinbubbleland
historian said:

McCavebear said:

PartyBear said:

As per bleacher report. I'm frankly a bit surprised that Texas would want in that league. They are not exactly a fit.
I am skeptical about this too. The old Texas exes despise tamu for leaving to the sec. (And they didn't like them much before Ha!)

This would put ut playing tamu again.

And ou? Why would they want to leave? They have mostly dominated Big !2 in football since inception.
Maybe some at OU think the way some Aggies did in 2011: playing better football teams in the SEC would make them better, more competitive, and therefore, more likely to win another national championship. The problem with that theory is that except for Alabama, few of their football teams are consistently really good. Not Auburn, not Ole Miss, not LSU, not Florida (although good lately), not Tennessee, etc. Certainly not Vandy, Arkansas, Kentucky, or S Carolina. Also, except for a couple good years, it hasn't done anything for A&M. Yes, they made it to some good bowl games and had some good wins (even some 10+ win seasons) but they have never played for the conference title or been in the playoffs and are unlikely to do either. Well, with an expanded playoff they might have a shot but that's true for lots of teams and every conference.
aggy is 100% better off since the move to the SEC. It was a wise decision on their part and despicable from my perspective.
Booboo Bear
TellMeYouLoveMe said:

In terms of national recognition, Big 12 really has three teams:

OU
UT
KU b/c of bball

If SEC wanted to be clever, they could easily take OU and KU and leave UT out.

That would be the worst situation for Baylor, probably, because UT would go independent or PAC, and the B12 remainders would lose the last of their national brands.

Canada2017
Anyone with eyes can see A&M's acceptance of the SEC's invitation was the smart move . Been a huge success on many fronts .

Thought OU was obligated to bring Okie State along to any conference move certainly doesn't appear to be the case now .

Of course if UT and OU are able to force their way into the SEC the Big 12 ( 10 teams ) abomination is finished .

Baylor's only hope is an ACC bid . With the strength of its men and women's basketball programs such an move could happen.

Everyone else is **** out of luck .
Method Man
Canada2017 said:

Anyone with eyes can see A&M's acceptance of the SEC's invitation was the smart move . Been a huge success on many fronts .

Thought OU was obligated to bring Okie State along to any conference move certainly doesn't appear to be the case now .

Of course if UT and OU are able to force their way into the SEC the Big 12 ( 10 teams ) abomination is finished .

Baylor's only hope is an ACC bid . With the strength of its men and women's basketball programs such an move could happen.

Everyone else is **** out of luck .
To me....its a lateral move.

Texas A&M is still the same average to pretty good football program they were in the BIGXII....just with more money and a larger stadium.

I fail to see what the "huge" success has been.....and I'm being dead serious.

Baylor has more success in major college sports in the 10 years that A&M has been in the SEC.

For the past 25 years of being in a big conference aggy averages about 1 elite season (see 1998, 2012, 2020...etc) every 8-9 years.

When this one season happens you can be sure that aggy (and their Texas media cronies) are going to crow about how badass A&M is, how they have all this fancy redneck money, how big their stadium is....etc and what they fail to always mention is that A&M will almost always go back to what they have historically been.....which is an 8-5 program.

Remove 1984-1998 from Texas A&M (when they were dominating a dying Southwest Conference by cheating their asses off) and they are nothing more than Mississippi St.

The Texas Media gives aggy way more respect than they actually deserve.
Method Man
Robert Wilson said:

Method Man said:

Robert Wilson said:

PartyBear said:

Robert Wilson said:

PartyBear said:

Byu pulls tv all over the country

Cu pulls none anywhere
If BYU was this huge prize (like you are making them out to be) then they would be in a Power 5 conference instead of their biggest rival.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.