Football
Sponsored by

Supposedly Texas and OU have reached out to the SEC about joining

57,827 Views | 475 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by boognish_bear
Stranger
How long do you want to ignore this user?
EvilTroyAndAbed said:

Stranger said:

TCU, SMU, Houston, Rice, Oklahoma State, Texas Tech, Tulane, Southern Mississippi, Memphis, Cincinnati, West Virginia & Baylor.

Read it and weep.

Why does this make you happy?

I'm not happy at all. It's just the reality that we're facing. With big money taking over football, Baylor will have a tough time playing with the big boys. Sad. And our own regents were a party to it.
Method Man
Aberzombie1892 said:

Method Man said:

Robert Wilson said:

Method Man said:

Robert Wilson said:

Method Man said:

Robert Wilson said:

Method Man said:

Robert Wilson said:

PartyBear said:

Robert Wilson said:

PartyBear said:

I think y'all believe religion is some huge factor for everyone because it is for you. This is business. Texas for example doesn't care if it's HC is Mormon and neither did UW. Cal and now USC don't care about the religious up bringing in Texas of Dykes and Helton.

It's about money. Baylor has changed quite a bit as well since 11 years ago. 11 years ago we were just coming out of the trauma of Sloan's 10 year attempt to turn Baylor into another Liberty. Yes that type of place is unattractive. And our reputation had been damaged at that point. Now Baylor is a large private school more like SMU and TCU but about the size of most flagship and land grant state schools around the country. Making it a private school more like USC and Miami that has built up a good athletic brand over the past 10 years as well. It isn't unattractive. Also perhaps our conservative BOR had wind of some of this and hence why they voted to allow homosexual clubs are allowed on campus now. That said I'm not claiming Baylor is the hottest brand out there and will bring a lot of eyes from Texas with it. I do think we could be a decent candidate for P5s.
We believe it's a big factor because the Pac 10 schools said that last time.

I believe it was posters on Baylorfans saying they said that actually.

The Pac took Utah and CU over BYU. That's all you need to know.
That was a smart business decision.

No way you take a school that comes with its own special rules about not playing on Sunday.....especially when the Utes pull the same TV market.

Byu pulls tv all over the country

Cu pulls none anywhere
If BYU was this huge prize (like you are making them out to be) then they would be in a Power 5 conference instead of their biggest rival.

I didn't t say they were a great prize

But they're more valuable than a number of pac schools

But they're also Mormon

They don't fit geographically anywhere else
If BYU were more valuable then a number of PAC-12 schools then they would be in a Power 5 conference.

Utah has had great success in the PAC-12.

BYU has a larger student population, a much larger alumni base, and better football history than either Oregon State or Washington state, not to mention it is far more highly ranked academically. It's a safe bet that its alumni base is far more affluent and more far reaching geographically. But they're Mormon, so the Pac will never have them
I get that your this huge BYU fan, but I'm going to repeat myself.

If BYU were more valuable then a number of PAC-12 schools then they would be in a Power 5 conference.

Its really that simple.

If BYU was as valuable as you make them out to be...then someone would have snapped them up.
Get off the religious persecution angle.

That's a bit unfair. BYU will never be in the PAC, B1G or SEC for reasons other than value. The ACC would be an option, but the distance is prohibitive.
How the hell is that unfair?

Someone keeps repeating that they (BYU) have all this Power 5 and National Value....when they don't.....and never have.

Its like me calling Gonzaga or Houston the 21 National Champion. They might be really good programs but they are not the champions.

If BYU had all this value and reach as a Power 5 program then someone would have snapped them up.
DanaDane
BBWCBear said:

I feel sorry for Aranda, Drew and Collen; their future with BU may be short lived... bigger opportunities will be down the road. The Conference's big money and alumni contributions will become much less.

Agree on Aranda. As far as Drew and Collen, though, Villanova found a way to make it work for Jay Wright in spite of a FCS football program and UConn found a way to make it work for Geno despite having an independent football program now that draws high school level crowds. No reason we can't find a way to make it work for both Drew and Collen.
Aberzombie1892
Method Man said:

Aberzombie1892 said:

Method Man said:

Robert Wilson said:

Method Man said:

Robert Wilson said:

Method Man said:

Robert Wilson said:

Method Man said:

Robert Wilson said:

PartyBear said:

Robert Wilson said:

PartyBear said:

I think y'all believe religion is some huge factor for everyone because it is for you. This is business. Texas for example doesn't care if it's HC is Mormon and neither did UW. Cal and now USC don't care about the religious up bringing in Texas of Dykes and Helton.

It's about money. Baylor has changed quite a bit as well since 11 years ago. 11 years ago we were just coming out of the trauma of Sloan's 10 year attempt to turn Baylor into another Liberty. Yes that type of place is unattractive. And our reputation had been damaged at that point. Now Baylor is a large private school more like SMU and TCU but about the size of most flagship and land grant state schools around the country. Making it a private school more like USC and Miami that has built up a good athletic brand over the past 10 years as well. It isn't unattractive. Also perhaps our conservative BOR had wind of some of this and hence why they voted to allow homosexual clubs are allowed on campus now. That said I'm not claiming Baylor is the hottest brand out there and will bring a lot of eyes from Texas with it. I do think we could be a decent candidate for P5s.
We believe it's a big factor because the Pac 10 schools said that last time.

I believe it was posters on Baylorfans saying they said that actually.

The Pac took Utah and CU over BYU. That's all you need to know.
That was a smart business decision.

No way you take a school that comes with its own special rules about not playing on Sunday.....especially when the Utes pull the same TV market.

Byu pulls tv all over the country

Cu pulls none anywhere
If BYU was this huge prize (like you are making them out to be) then they would be in a Power 5 conference instead of their biggest rival.

I didn't t say they were a great prize

But they're more valuable than a number of pac schools

But they're also Mormon

They don't fit geographically anywhere else

Utah has had great success in the PAC-12.

BYU has a larger student population, a much larger alumni base, and better football history than either Oregon State or Washington state, not to mention it is far more highly ranked academically. It's a safe bet that its alumni base is far more affluent and more far reaching geographically. But they're Mormon, so the Pac will never have them
I get that your this huge BYU fan, but I'm going to repeat myself.

Its really that simple.

If BYU was as valuable as you make them out to be...then someone would have snapped them up.
Get off the religious persecution angle.

That's a bit unfair. BYU will never be in the PAC, B1G or SEC for reasons other than value. The ACC would be an option, but the distance is prohibitive.
How the hell is that unfair?

Someone keeps repeating that they (BYU) have all this Power 5 and National Value....when they don't.....and never have.

Its like me calling Gonzaga or Houston the 21 National Champion. They might be really good programs but they are not the champions.

If BYU had all this value and reach as a Power 5 program then someone would have snapped them up.
It's unfair because it's true that BYU is more valuable than a lot of G5s and some P5s, however, that value is not enough to place them in the position to get a P5 invite because they have non-value related issues that would permanently exclude them from the SEC, B1G and PAC. If that's true, which it is, it's unfair to say that they aren't valuable because they aren't in a P5.
Space Cutter
With the players cashing in on their names & now UT or OU wanting to jump to the sec, I'm perfectly happy to see them leave. College football is about to implode like the BLM-nfl is doing. Those schools jumping over there will see them become mediocrity at best. Ask the Aggies.
Jack Bauer
ACC has 15 (including Notre Dame). I would think WVa would leave in a second to join them if offered.

SEC would have 16

B1G - has 14. Most likely to take Iowa State, Kansas or Okie State.

PAC12 - has 12. They could have 16 with a Pacific and Mtn divisions. Adding 4 from another conference.
BBWCBear
Method Man said:

ilbb990912 said:

Canada2017 said:

Anyone with eyes can see A&M's acceptance of the SEC's invitation was the smart move . Been a huge success on many fronts .

Thought OU was obligated to bring Okie State along to any conference move certainly doesn't appear to be the case now .

Of course if UT and OU are able to force their way into the SEC the Big 12 ( 10 teams ) abomination is finished .

Baylor's only hope is an ACC bid . With the strength of its men and women's basketball programs such an move could happen.

Everyone else is **** out of luck .
A&M was smart to go to SEC when Texas was trying to pull A&M, OU, Ok State, and Tech out to the Pac 12. If A&M would've been on board with Pac it probably would've happened.

the Pac12 is an awful, broken conference today and that would have been a financial disaster.

Baylor is effectively getting the SMU death penalty if Tex/OU bolt to SEC....

This is a loser mentality.

If Texas and OU want to leave and become middle of the road SEC programs like Texas A&M then let them f**cking leave.

I'm totally okay with being the Big Dawg in a smaller conference.

We need to get rid of this attitude that we "need" these azzholes for anything.

Can't say I've watched many MAC, Big Sky, Mountain West, Patriot, Conference USA league games. I'll probably just watch games of teams playing aggy, Whorns, and OU hoping for their losses.
Pecos 45
gobears20 said:

Isn't the reason Texas didn't want the SEC the last time was because of the academic standards?

How the SEC schools rank among National Universities
  • Vanderbilt University: 14 (tie)
  • University of Florida: 30 (tie)
  • University of Georgia: 47 (tie)
  • Texas A&M University: 66 (tie)
  • Auburn University: 97 (tie)
  • University of Tennessee: 112 (tie)
  • University of South Carolina: 118 (tie)
  • University of Missouri: 124 (tie)
  • University of Kentucky: 133 (tie)
  • University of Alabama: 143 (tie)
  • Louisiana State UniversityBaton Rouge: 153 (tie)
  • University of Arkansas: 160 (tie)
  • University of Mississippi: 160 (tie)
  • Mississippi State University: 206 (tie)

Nice to see that my home state of Mississippi still leads the league in ignorance.
“If you have a job without aggravations, you don’t have a job.”
Malcolm Forbes
Robert Wilson
Pecos 45 said:

gobears20 said:

Isn't the reason Texas didn't want the SEC the last time was because of the academic standards?

Nice to see that my home state of Mississippi still leads the league in ignorance.
Mississippi: First in literature, last in literacy. Fascinating place.

Side note: one thing this list shows you: undergrad rank doesn't matter much. A degree from Bama, LSU, Arky, Ole Miss or State is a fine launching pad to whatever grad school or career as long as you do well.
Jack Bauer
Pecos 45 said:

gobears20 said:

The new SEC fans...

Robert Wilson
What does this do to our recruiting class?
Pecos 45
Robert Wilson said:

Pecos 45 said:

gobears20 said:

Mississippi: First in literature, last in literacy. Fascinating place.

Side note: one thing this list shows you: undergrad rank doesn't matter much. A degree from Bama, LSU, Arky, Ole Miss or State is a fine launching pad to whatever grad school or career as long as you do well.
I went home to Laurel, MS last weekend for my 50th HS Reunion.
I've noticed that an Ole Miss degree only means something if you stay in Mississippi, or run into another Ole Miss graduate.

Get the book "When Evil Lived in Laurel."
That's the era I lived in.
It was a scary place back then.
“If you have a job without aggravations, you don’t have a job.”
Malcolm Forbes
caesarscott
Osodecentx said:

The most important thing is we've spent the last 2 years ferreting out all of the slave owners and Confederates in our past and removing all signs of them
thats why we didn't get an invite to the SEC
gobears20
Staff
Texas would hate the SEC because they can't control that conference. They want control and it may work for a little while but will backfire on them.
Robert Wilson
There is a chance B10 doesn't want Iowa State (how many schools do you need in Iowa?) and would want a Texas school. B10 has gone crazy trying to touch various TV and recruiting markets by adding schools like Rutgers (NY) and Maryland (DC). Not being Tier 1 research hurts, but we have been building there and fake it pretty well. We should be back channeling with B10 and ACC hard. They are both hail marys but you might as well throw them at this point.
PartyBear
boognish_bear said:

State rep from north Texas area

How ? It is not on the agenda of the special session which is dead anyway.
blackie
PartyBear said:

boognish_bear said:

And they can't take any votes.....no quorum. Typical political speak. Say what you think your constituents want to hear knowing that the same time it isn't going to happen and you don't have to take a hard vote.
Illinois Bear
boognish_bear said:

Jeff is a Baylor grad. Had him in several of my classes during my time at BU.
BearFan33
TeamPlayer said:

BearFan33 said:

jack.fuller said:

Welp.. Mack's beach vacation is over

I feel so much better now. I wonder if the left out ADs now realize that Bob Bowelsby has never looked after their interests.
What was he supposed to be doing? This conference never needed a commish. It's Joe and Chris running the show. This was destined to happen once Texas drove A&M east. Nobody was keeping those programs in against their will when they've always had options.
A good commish would be proactive, not reactive. He/she would talk the ADs into expansion (at least back to 12) and grab solid P5 lv schools when available (like FSU and Clemson). He would adopt a SEC like schedule and not promote idiotic things like "one true champion." He would have turned our conference into a hunter instead of prey. That is of course if he was looking out for all conference members.
oso de esqui
blackie said:

PartyBear said:

boognish_bear said:

And they can't take any votes.....no quorum. Typical political speak. Say what you think your constituents want to hear knowing that the same time it isn't going to happen and you don't have to take a hard vote.
No but they can vote against any UT funding for years and years.
Robert Wilson
BearFan33 said:

TeamPlayer said:

BearFan33 said:

jack.fuller said:

Welp.. Mack's beach vacation is over

I feel so much better now. I wonder if the left out ADs now realize that Bob Bowelsby has never looked after their interests.
What was he supposed to be doing? This conference never needed a commish. It's Joe and Chris running the show. This was destined to happen once Texas drove A&M east. Nobody was keeping those programs in against their will when they've always had options.
A good commish would be proactive, not reactive. He/she would talk the ADs into expansion (at least back to 12) and grab solid P5 lv schools when available (like FSU and Clemson). He would adopt a SEC like schedule and not promote idiotic things like "one true champion." He would have turned our conference into a hunter instead of prey. That is of course if he was looking out for all conference members.
Bowlsby's contract, signed years ago, expired at the end of the grant of rights. He never expanded the conference because UT and OU always wanted a way out. Bowslby was never looking out for the conference or its life beyond the GOR. He was working for UT and OU. We all just played along with it knowing this was the likely end. Baylor did a horrendous job of looking out for itself throughout this process, unless we have a safe landing spot already lined out that has not yet been announced.
Thee University
PartyBear said:

Those folks from Ole Miss aren't going to know where the fxck they are when they show up in Austin for Texas/ Ole Miss game especially dressed like for church. The Texas folks are likewise not going to understand what's up with them. Texas is going to be a fish out of water in the Deep South club.
They played in Austin just 7 years ago......a 44-23 Ole Miss spanking by the Confederacy.

They played in Oxford in 2012 which was a 66-13 Horn drubbing.

They know each other. The UT fraternity system is equal to The Grove in size and $$$$. Probably bigger.
"The education of a man is never completed until he dies." - General Robert E. Lee
REvansBU71
Another indication the Big 12 has the greatest leadership group of any conference.

I'm so proud of them!
Any Trump

“And if you do-oo.....” - Lt. Hauk
ETXBear
Robert Wilson said:

There is a chance B10 doesn't want Iowa State (how many schools do you need in Iowa?) and would want a Texas school. B10 has gone crazy trying to touch various TV and recruiting markets by adding schools like Rutgers (NY) and Maryland (DC). Not being Tier 1 research hurts, but we have been building there and fake it pretty well. We should be back channeling with B10 and ACC hard. They are both hail marys but you might as well throw them at this point.

Baylor doesn't deliver Texas as a whole to anybody, though. Only UT and A$M do. That's the problem. Adding Baylor only adds Baylor fans' TV sets.
Robert Wilson
ETXBear said:

Robert Wilson said:

Baylor doesn't deliver Texas as a whole to anybody, though. Only UT and A$M dothat's the problem. Adding Baylor only adds Baylor fans' TV sets.
Yeah. It was just an argument. That's why I said it's a hail mary. Unless someone goes and makes a helluva sales pitch, we are TCU circa 1995.
ETXBear
Robert Wilson said:

ETXBear said:

Robert Wilson said:

Baylor doesn't deliver Texas as a whole to anybody, though. Only UT and A$M dothat's the problem. Adding Baylor only adds Baylor fans' TV sets.
Yeah. It was just an argument. That's why I said it's a hail mary. Unless someone goes and makes a helluva sales pitch, we are TCU circa 1995.

Gotcha! Yeahit really is sad to see all we've been able to accomplish only to be crushed by piles of money in the end
CTbruin
Woe is me!

The sky is falling!
Baylorbears111
ETXBear said:

Robert Wilson said:

Baylor doesn't deliver Texas as a whole to anybody, though. Only UT and A$M do. That's the problem. Adding Baylor only adds Baylor fans' TV sets.

At least there's a good number of us that turn our TV sets for Baylor regardless of who Baylor is playing.
Aliceinbubbleland
An ISU fan's perspective if this **** happens

Quote:

Cyclone fan living in Austin here. For me this is brutal, no Clones in Texas anymore. Was looking forward to watching them with my sons as they grew up. Now we will have Tulsa rolling into Ames, can't even watch it here.

I don't blame Texas or OU, not their fault. (I do hate Nebraska and Aggy though.) It's really bad for ISU though (and the other orphans). We did everything we could with the stadium upgrades and increased donations and throwing money at coaches. The stadium is 65K now and probably was going to 70K, student undergrad is 30K now.

Now our TV revenue probably goes from 40M to like AAC level or like 10M. (Current AAC is like 7m). So we can't pay the coach that got us to the top 10 (which is what OU and TX always said we had to do), can't pay the debt off, the enrollment will decline, the local economy gets devastated. Our best recruiting class ever will all decommit. Last time this happened it destroyed 2 classes.

We finally got to the top of the heap and had our guy locked up for 5 more years, and now it is over.

For us it can't be worse, this destroys Iowa State, and not just athletics, it destroys everything we struggled to do the last 25 years. Not blaming anyone here for not realizing this since maybe you don't realize the dynamics in the state, but we will never, ever be in the Big 10. It's not an option.

It's AAC for us or something like that. I know you guys will do well in the SEC, will be rooting for the old Big 12 teams (except Aggy).

Amarillobear
Russell Gym said:

McCavebear said:

aggy's AD went on record on Twitter 25 minutes ago saying he is against it. He wants tamu to be the only Texas team in sec.

Aggy opinion won't matter.
Never has and never will.
Aliceinbubbleland
If this really happens (I fined it too difficult to believe but...) then it could come down to LSU. They have felt mistreated by the SEC for years. They have complained endlessly about having Florida as the permanent cross division opponent. They have complained endlessly about Bama in Birmingham and SEC Championship in Atlanta being run by...Bama.

If they force LSU into a schedule not to their liking (making them travel to SC and UGA and Florida) they may vote against any realignment. Put them in a division with Arkie, UT, Aggie and Ole Miss and they will be happy.
RegentCoverup
Illinois Bear said:

boognish_bear said:

Jeff is a Baylor grad. Had him in several of my classes during my time at BU.
he's got the problem in his sights.

I pay more taxes to the State of Texas than a good chunk of their graduates, it's my decision whether they play on Mars or in Lubbock mofos.
This site leaks private information to Baylor Regents and Administration
ScrappyPaws
My take - our best bet is for the B12 to immediately expand. We'll no longer be "P5" in the traditional sense but neither will anyone else once the SEC is done building their semi-pro league. We can remain relevant in terms of the playoffs and build something better than a current G5 option with expansion.

BYU is the obvious choice. Despite Method Man's lack of clarity on this topic, BYU is massive and wealthy. They have policies in place prohibiting homosexual behavior which is a non-starter Pac 12 and probably for the B1G as well. From a state school perspective, revenue sharing with such an institution is akin to sponsoring hate. BYU back in the LaVell Edwards days (late 70's through mid 90s?) finished in the top 20 nearly every season and won a "national title" in 1984 (finished #1 in both polls).

Beyond BYU there are a bunch of schools that make sense but beggars can't be choosers at this point. We should be picking up 4-6 of the best we can get immediately and setting ourselves up to be something like the least of the P5 (till the Pac finishes falling apart) or a clear step above the rest of the G5 leagues.

Money/TV matters most so off the top of my head I'd say BYU, UH, Colorado State, Memphis, Cincy, + 1. It keeps us out of the American.

If we can't land in the ACC this is a MUST.
Stranger
CTbruin said:

Woe is me!

The sky is falling!

I know you'd be happy to have the cows gone. I, too, would root for the Taliban against UT.

Maybe I'm missing something but doesn't it take just three SEC votes to queer this deal? I'd say it's not done yet.
ETXBear
Stranger said:

CTbruin said:

Woe is me!

The sky is falling!

I know you'd be happy to have the cows gone. I, too, would root for the Taliban against UT.

Maybe I'm missing something but doesn't it take just three SEC votes to queer this deal? I'd say it's not done yet.

But you still have an unhappy marriage that will blow up as soon as it can

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.