Football
Sponsored by

Supposedly Texas and OU have reached out to the SEC about joining

56,928 Views | 475 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by boognish_bear
PartyBear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
As per bleacher report. I'm frankly a bit surprised that Texas would want in that league. They are not exactly a fit.
BylrFan
texas leaving the mess they created?
muddybrazos
It would suck for us but would be hilarious to watch aggy get whipped every year by OU & TX just like old times.
whitetrash
Anybody have the ability to copy and paste from the Houston Chronicle?

Apparently the story is an "exclusive" by the Chronicle's Aggy beat writer but is hiding behind a paywall.
Jack Bauer
whitetrash said:

Anybody have the ability to copy and paste from the Houston Chronicle?

Apparently the story is an "exclusive" by the Chronicle's Aggy beat writer but is hiding behind a paywall.
HOOVER, Ala. A decade after major conference realignment shook up college football, big changes might again be on the horizon.

Texas and Oklahoma of the Big 12 have both reached out to the Southeastern Conference about potentially joining the powerful league, a high-ranking college official with knowledge of the situation told the Houston Chronicle on Wednesday.

An announcement could come within a couple of weeks concerning the potential addition of UT and OU to the league, the person said, which would give the SEC 16 schools and make it the first of a national super-conference.

Texas A&M exited the Big 12 nine years ago this month, and along with Big 12 ex Missouri gave the SEC 14 teams, which it has been at since. UT's addition to the SEC would also mean the Aggies and Longhorns would again meet annually on the football field for the first time since 2011.

SEC commissioner Greg Sankey declined comment.
guadalupeoso
Can understand why they would want to join the SEC from a monetary standpoint. But I don't think either school is a cultural fit. Oh well. Time will tell. I've started to see some reports from Texas writers like Kirk Bohls and that clown Geoff Ketchum that indicate this is really happening.
muddybrazos
I still dont understand why OU & Tx wanna give up their own conference where they make the rules and with the new playoff format can make the playoff every year.
PBRBear
Where might Baylor land in this scenario? I know it is all speculation right now. Couple things appear to be certain that there will be an expanded playoff and a shakeup as TV rights come up for renewal.
Russell Gym
https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/big-12-powers-texas-oklahoma-inquire-about-joining-sec-in-potentially-massive-shakeup-per-report/
fadskier
The article says that ACC and the PAC will follow and get to 16 as will the Big10
Zerooreo
Baylor will not land in the Super Conference that is surely coming. Programs will either be in the super conference, and matter, or they won't. Chance for real nationally recognized success will fein. Top tier athletes will follow. Sad, but not completely unexpected. We'll all have to get comfortable with being alumni/fans of (recognized) second-tier athletics.

But...won't it be some fun when the "second-tier" teams (outside of football) win their fair share of Natty's over the "bigs".
Baylorbears111
PBRBear said:

Where might Baylor land in this scenario? I know it is all speculation right now. Couple things appear to be certain that there will be an expanded playoff and a shakeup as TV rights come up for renewal.

Likely AAC.

If the remainder of the Big 12 stays together by virtue of the PAC, B1G and ACC choosing not to expand, then we stay in the Big 12 plus additions from the AAC and MWC.
whitetrash
fadskier said:

The article says that ACC and the PAC will follow and get to 16 as will the Big10
SEC + ACC + B1G + PAC12 x 16 each = 64 schools.

There are currently 64 P5 schools + Notre Dame = 65.

Only one would have to go.....
Baylorbears111
Zerooreo said:

Baylor will not land in the Super Conference that is surely coming. Programs will either be in the super conference, and matter, or they won't. Chance for real nationally recognized success will fein. Top tier athletes will follow. Sad, but not completely unexpected. We'll all have to get comfortable with being alumni/fans of tier-two athletics.

This is the probable reality. We are fortunate on four fronts if the noted scenario happens:

1. Regardless if the Big 12 leftovers hang together or if we wind up in the AAC, we will still be playing traditional rivals like SMU, Houston, and TCU. Maybe also Texas Tech. Non-con will allow for a return to games against A&M and Texas.

2. Playoff expansion means that the door of getting into the playoffs is open for tier-two conference champions. So that chance of playing for the title will remain available, if far.

3. Baylor's recent national championship in Basketball grants some cachet. As long as the March madness tournament remains, Baylor can continue to emphasize basketball and find it's place in this new world. A conference with Houston, Memphis, Cincinnati, and Wichita State is salty in its own right.

4. Baylor will, at long last, be in a conference of peers. We can finally shrug off the bending and scraping and Texas first biases of our conference history and make some strides among equals. It will be nice to be in a conference where we don't have to keep hearing about how Baylor somehow doesn't belong or should be kicked out.

Yes, money will dry up. Budgets will be cut. It will be a new world, but most of college athletics have been living in it for decades. It doesn't have to be all bad.
Forest Bueller_bf
Zerooreo said:

Baylor will not land in the Super Conference that is surely coming. Programs will either be in the super conference, and matter, or they won't. Chance for real nationally recognized success will fein. Top tier athletes will follow. Sad, but not completely unexpected. We'll all have to get comfortable with being alumni/fans of (recognized) second-tier athletics.

But...won't it be some fun when the "second-tier" teams (outside of football) win their fair share of Natty's over the "bigs".
Only outside of football, but yep lots of smaller programs will have a real shot at a championship.

In football, only teams in the Super Conferences will even come close. Pretty much like P5 is now really.
Mr Tulip
It's got legs, but I suppose it always had legs.

The Big 12 has a geography problem. It's the State of Texas and a vertical stacking of some states where no one lives. When your goal is to turn on TV sets, that's a tough problem to work around.

In order to reach a large enough collection of TVs so that the pie gets bigger, you have to cross the Rocky Mountains to the West. Time zones and travel really gum up that idea.

To the east is a bunch of schools in a the ultra-stable SEC. It's not credible to think the Big 12 will ever be poaching any of those, leastways ones that would, again, grow the pot.

All this to demonstrate that the Big 12 is fairly stable, but static. If another member school decides it's too static for its growth model and leaves, the ability to replace it with an equal member is practically nonexistent. The Big 12 cannot realistically get bigger, but it can realistically fail.

I'm not saying the deal is real, not real, or that I'd know one way or the other. I'm saying that any school with the potential for options always has conversations about those options off the record.
Forest Bueller_bf
whitetrash said:

fadskier said:

SEC + ACC + B1G + PAC12 x 16 each = 64 schools.

There are currently 64 P5 schools + Notre Dame = 65.

Only one would have to go.....
Good point.

Will take some really really poor political dealing for Baylor to miss the cut. 64 out of 65 in, one out.

Unless some better mid majors take this as their opportunity to displace several teams currently P5.
McCavebear
PartyBear said:

As per bleacher report. I'm frankly a bit surprised that Texas would want in that league. They are not exactly a fit.
I am skeptical about this too. The old Texas exes despise tamu for leaving to the sec. (And they didn't like them much before Ha!)

This would put ut playing tamu again.

And ou? Why would they want to leave? They have mostly dominated Big !2 in football since inception.
McCavebear Lives!
CorsicanaBear
48 team National Collegiate League coming. 2 24 team conferences, 3 divisions per conference. Entry stakes are the ability to generate $25 to $30 million dollars a year in NIL revenue per team (it won't be expressed that way, but that's how it will shake out). Everything else will be like the MAC or MWC and there may not be enough money scraps left for those leagues to survive.

This is NOT about conference realignment, its about totally restructuring how the collegiate game works.

It's all about who can pay the players. NIL Baby.

Das ist das ende.
Illigitimus non carborundum
IowaBear
CizzLark
Man am I glad we built our football stadium when we did.
IowaBear
Texas would be the new Missouri if they left for SEC.?And Oklahoma would do a lot more missing of the playoffs in the SEC then they are doing in the B12
BylrFan
IowaBear said:

And Oklahoma would do a lot more missing of the playoffs in the SEC then they are doing in the B12

It won't matter once it moves to 12
guadalupeoso
This is how I see it playing out as well, most likely.
GShack
BylrFan said:

IowaBear said:

And Oklahoma would do a lot more missing of the playoffs in the SEC then they are doing in the B12

It won't matter once it moves to 12

Yep. With the playoff expanding it won't matter. The SEC could 4-6 teams in. Plus they will get all that ESPN $$.

Unfortunately this is a no brainer for UT and OU. Culture is irrelevant.

Baylor is in a bad spot.
DanaDane
I don't think UT and OU are joining the SEC to be part of the NCAA. They would join to be part of 1 superconference that had more power, more TV rights, more money, more visibility and more NIL dollars than anything else.

Everyone may as well face it - the SEC IS the face of the best of college football, like it or not. Maybe they pluck an Ohio St and Clemson to say they have the best of ALL the best, but why should the SEC share with anyone? They've already proven they are the king of TV ratings, the king of winning national championships, the king of visibility and the king of attracting the best talent in the land consistently, which has resulted in the most NFL visibility. Look no further than a QB who has never even started a game already making $1 million a year in NIL rights.

When all is said and done, there will be one conference that can generate the best high school talent in the country with tons of NIL cash and prepare them for the NFL.....................and the rest of us, including the vaunted Big 10, ACC and Pac 12 will be 2nd tier. The SEC will be a superconference to itself of 18-20 teams.

Vandy, you are one lucky son-of-a-gun!
CorsicanaBear
Quote:

In 3 or 4 years I may be able to afford a loge box to watch the annual renewal of our rivalry against North Texas.
McCavebear
aggy's AD went on record on Twitter 25 minutes ago saying he is against it. He wants tamu to be the only Texas team in sec.
McCavebear Lives!
ilbb990912
McCavebear said:

aggy's AD went on record on Twitter 25 minutes ago saying he is against it. He wants tamu to be the only Texas team in sec.
Aggies are 1 vote, unfortunately in this case...
Russell Gym
McCavebear said:

Aggy opinion won't matter.
DanaDane
Everyone may as well face it. The college football that we've all known in our lifetime was over the minute NIL came into play. The Baylor's, TCU's, Tech's, OSU's, WVU's, Iowa St's, Purdue's, Washington State's, will never have the NIL cash to play with that Bama, LSU, Georgia, Ohio St, etc........has. So, a disparity is gonna develop anyway. May as well have a semi-pro conference full of those who have multi-million dollar NIL budgets, and then the rest of us in a more realistic NCAA competitive situation with 4 or 5 conferences.
CorsicanaBear
Quote:

The college football that we've all known in our lifetime was over the minute NIL came into play.
Yep. And the change is going to be faster and more drastic than we can imagine right now.

For example, there is no NIL cap. I can envision a future where college players take a pay cut to go to the NFL. What will rich boosters NOT pay to see their team win? There is the potential for a lot of money to be made by players. People are fans of NFL teams, but their heart is with their college team.
PartyBear
If the PAC is going to respond by going to 16 or the BiG does as well. Those seem far more like cultural fits for Texas than the SEC. I can see OU fitting in with the SEC however.

Also we will see. Being G5 may not suck as much with an expanded play off. I was commenting on another thread a few months ago about they way Cincy's program has been the past couple of decades they could be in the expanded play off as often as Bama going forward if their success continues, so why join a P5 conference under those circumstances really.

There could still be political issues at least for OU. I doubt the Oklahoma politicians will allow OSU to be abandoned by OU.
Baylorbears111
Russell Gym said:

McCavebear said:

Aggy opinion won't matter.

Good to see some things never change.
Bexar Pitts
CizzLark said:

Is it paid for?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.