Football
Sponsored by

B1G would be my number one choice

4,264 Views | 38 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Jayman1963
MaxTeller
How long do you want to ignore this user?
If they will have us. PAC 12 would bore me.
BylrFan
Baylor is not AAU
MaxTeller
Is Nebraska?
BanjoBear94
MaxTeller said:

Is Nebraska?
Not now, but they entered the B1G that way.
MaxTeller
OSU isn't either. Plenty of stories indicating AAU membership is not a deal breaker either.
BanjoBear94
MaxTeller said:

OSU isn't either.
Who knows, with this realignment madness and money driving everything, AAU may end up being largely irrelevant to conference affiliation.
BylrFan
MaxTeller said:

OSU isn't either. Plenty of stories indicating AAU membership is not a deal breaker either.
Ohio State is AAU since 1916. It's been noted by Perlman that Nebraska wouldn't be allowed into the Big 10 in the first place without the status after it was revoked.
MaxTeller
OSU, KU and KSU are ranked WAY below us academically. If the B1G takes any of them over us it makes a farce of their "Academics are our # 1 priority" argument.
Polo Bear
BylrFan said:

MaxTeller said:

Ohio State is AAU since 1916. It's been noted by Perlman that Nebraska wouldn't be allowed into the Big 10 in the first place without the status after it was revoked.

OSU: Oklahoma State University
NeuroticBear
MaxTeller said:

If they will have us. PAC 12 would bore me.
Neither will have us. Ever.
BylrFan
OriginalUniversityOfTexas said:

BylrFan said:

MaxTeller said:

Oklahoma State, KSU are not AAU accredited so it wouldn't make sense, they are currently not being considered. The names that surfaced to possibly join the big 10 were ISU and KU which make sense regionally and for whatever criteria the b10 wants.

Best P4 shot for us is for ACC to come calling. They're bound to claim a Texas team for expansion.
MaxTeller
OriginalUniversityOfTexas said:

BylrFan said:

MaxTeller said:

I thought it was obvious I was talking about Okie State. Guess not.
BUCANDOIT82
The ideal scenario would be for the Big 10 to take us and Notre Dame.
BylrFan
Franklins
BUCANDOIT82 said:

IIRC ND signed a deal with the ACC that they must join the ACC if they join a conference. I don't think there is any way the B10 would take us over Kansas or ISU, who fit their geographic and academic profile better.

I think Pac 12 is the most realistic (maybe only) choice.
fadskier
Franklins said:

BUCANDOIT82 said:

IIRC ND signed a deal with the ACC that they must join the ACC if they join a conference. I don't think there is any way the B10 would take us over Kansas or ISU, who fit their geographic and academic profile better.

I think Pac 12 is the most realistic (maybe only) choice.
Would the Big 10 take Iowa St? Wouldn't that hurt Iowa?
PartyBear
BylrFan said:

I wonder if a merger of an alleged remnant of the Pac and the XII in this scenario would be P5. I realize P5 does not mean much as a label with the new play off. What I mean is whether it would have a TV contract in the neighborhood of current P5 conferences.
fadskier
Personally, I'd rather go to the ACC

Boston College
Clemson
Duke
Florida State
Georgia Tech
NC
NC St
Syracuse
Va
vaTech
Wake

Miami
Pitt
Louisville
W VA
Iowa St
KU
K St
Ok St
TCU
Tech
Baylor

Play 10 conference games and a championship
FLBear5630
Do they have any other Private, Religious schools? B10 would be tough, mostly large state land grant Universities, I think Northwestern is only private and they are not religious. Tough culture fit. ACC is best fit of remaining, in Bible Belt, have several small, private schools (Duke, Boston College, Miami, Syracuse, Wake Forest) and value Basketball as much as football. Culturally, I think ACC makes most sense.

Any shot a B12 adding? BYU? Boise? Houston? Memphis? UCF? Utah State? Ugg, Not very stimulating!
MaxTeller
fadskier said:

Boston College
Clemson
Duke
Florida State
Georgia Tech
NC
NC St
Syracuse
Va
vaTech
Wake

Miami
Pitt
Louisville
W VA
Iowa St
KU
K St
Ok St
TCU
Tech
Baylor

I could live with that too.
BluesBear
That would be a salty for Basketball and Baseball...
BearFan33
fadskier said:

Boston College
Clemson
Duke
Florida State
Georgia Tech
NC
NC St
Syracuse
Va
vaTech
Wake

Miami
Pitt
Louisville
W VA
Iowa St
KU
K St
Ok St
TCU
Tech
Baylor

Works nicely.
canoso
MaxTeller said:

fadskier said:

Boston College
Clemson
Duke
Florida State
Georgia Tech
NC
NC St
Syracuse
Va
vaTech
Wake

Miami
Pitt
Louisville
W VA
Iowa St
KU
K St
Ok St
TCU
Tech
Baylor

I could live with that too.
As could I. Another advantage? Only 2 time zones involved as opposed to 3 (in several imagined scenarios).
Polo Bear
Unfortunately for the B1G. Their president's aren't calling the shots, Fox is. Fox doesn't give a damn about research universities or academic standards or the AAU. What they care about is not being beaten by Disney.

The pac12 will be broken up. It's a contract between Fox and ESPN. I doubt they'll do a joint contract again.

Amazon is knocking on the door. Disney just jacked UTOU, decimating one of your leagues. What do you do? Just rest your contract on the Midwest? The part of the country that is dying?

Do you think the 4 schools from the PAC12 is a good counter to UTOU? Would you not want to add more? Especially when the California System is pondering even having football programs?

The best business move is to go nuclear. Just build that massive superconference now. Take the pac12 and the texhoma4, go after ND, clemson and as many ACC schools you can grab.

2/3rds of Americans have an Amazon prime account. Maybe Amazon makes the superconference to oppose Disney? Amazon has so much money and so much reach and their business model is hoarding. So their competition does have it.
gobears20
Staff
Not a bad look
I would rather be in the ACC. I think Baylor does fine in any conference.

FLBear5630
There is no way B10 offers Baylor! Not AAU, not research driven, religious, recent scandal issues, and private. Adding a small religious school that could compete with Michigan and UW on the field is not what the B10 wants. Iowa State has a better shot at the B10! The B10 and PAC would be the worst culture matches in College Football.

Conferences - ACC is the only Power 5 Conference I see a fit for Baylor. Adding to the B12 and negotiating into the Playoff and keeping a respectable TV deal would be my preferred alternative. Right now is when to negotiate, the remaining schools have the sympathy of getting screwed. If you wait 2 years to see, ewe lose that.
BUmatt254
A power 5 ain't walking through that door. It's the American or Sun Belt for us
FLBear5630
This is the best analysis I have seen for the B12, go on the offensive. Biggest issue is that B12 does not have alot to sell! If we go west, gonna have a hard time with religious mission of Baylor, that will matter out west. ACC it may be a plus in the Bible Belt and even help recruiting if religious oriented recruits having a religious non-Catholic option that can compete? ACC or Rebuild the B12, maybe Arizona teams? Is Florida State happy in ACC? BYU?
bear2be2
BUmatt254 said:

A power 5 ain't walking through that door. It's the American or Sun Belt for us
Given that this is very likely true for all eight Big 12 leftovers, it's far more likely that the Big 12 absorbs a few G5 schools than it is for any of the Forgotten 8 to end up in existing G5 leagues.
Wicked_Wombat
Big ten wouldn't want Baylor cause of scandal...<cough, cough> - uh...Penn State...Michigan State.
FLBear5630
I agree with you, keeping the B12 status (even with reduced TV money) is a more productive strategy than trying to get another Conference to take BU. This is what I would go for, today:

- Any extended playoff, B12 Champ is one of Auto Qualifiers
- TV money, reduced but comparable to ACC and PAC (Never gonna touch SEC or B10)
- Add 4 to 8 teams in high growth states: Florida (UCF & USF), Texas (Houston), Colorado(Colorado State), and Utah (BYU & Utah State?)
- Add from established states with good programs: Ohio (Cinn), Missouri (Memphis?)
- Last, will anyone jump a Florida State, Arizona, Missouri, Nebraska? Long Shots, true...

I just can't see an established Conference being able to take Baylor with the recent history. I think that will play bigger than people in Waco think. ACC would be best landing place out of B12, culture fits.
bear2be2
Wicked_Wombat said:

Big ten wouldn't want Baylor cause of scandal...<cough, cough> - uh...Penn State...Michigan State.
That league has decades on decades of history with those two schools, much of it positive. What makes you think they'd go out of their way to add/offer the same latitude to a small private school in Texas with similar baggage and no such goodwill built up?

But our scandalous past isn't the reason the Big Ten would reject us. That would be academics. They're interested in top-tier research institutions, and that's not our lane.
drahthaar
MaxTeller said:

OSU, KU and KSU are ranked WAY below us academically. If the B1G takes any of them over us it makes a farce of their "Academics are our # 1 priority" argument.
This is not about academics. It is not even about winning football programs.
Amarillobear
BylrFan said:

Baylor is not AAU
I saw it written on these boards that we will be AAU by 2024. Is that the case or not?
Realitybites
This (the ACC option) is a really good solution.

Going west ... Where? The New Mexico programs are dumpster fires. Colorado State, BYU, Wyoming? I don't think the Big12 is in any position to raid another P5 conference for teams right now. Which leaves SMU, Houston and some sort of reconstituted SWC. I'm not sure that adding Cincy and UCF as east coast stragglers helps much. Travel for the second tier sports would be brutal.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.