Football
Sponsored by

SEC Culpability?

1,985 Views | 11 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by oldbear69
oldbear69
How long do you want to ignore this user?
If reps from the sec have been having closed door meetings with horns and Sooners about leaving big 12 , aren't they just as liable as ESPN? Do they have to ask permission from the commissioner to speak with a school about leaving ?
Johnny Bear
I've been wondering about this as well, as in does the SEC have any material legal exposure in all of this? Talk about deep pockets if they're vulnerable to legal action.
Beaneater
Isn't this the part where aggy asked for a release? everyone signed it until K* said hold up a minute, why should we sign that? And that calmed the waters enough to let the rest of the b12 see that a 10-team league would survive...

always bugs me that people say BU threatened to sue. No, BU never did so. Just refused to sign a release saying it would never sue.

My perceptions/memory anyway.
Stefano DiMera
This would be a hell of a 30 for 30...except for the ESPN thing...
GoodOleBaylorLine
It's really not actionable if SEC was talking with OU and UT about leaving consistently with the B12 agreements, In that scenario, SEC is not promoting a breach of any agreements.

The issue is the three mouseketeers (ESPN, OU and UT) want out now and not when the agreements say they can leave or paying what the agreements require.

You can pretty well bet SEC is steering clear of that. They would like UT and OU to join sooner, but they don't have any reason to stick out their neck to make it happen, And they don't care at all if UT and OU have to pay a fee for leaving the B12
BellCountyBear
Beaneater said:

Isn't this the part where aggy asked for a release? everyone signed it until K* said hold up a minute, why should we sign that? And that calmed the waters enough to let the rest of the b12 see that a 10-team league would survive...

always bugs me that people say BU threatened to sue. No, BU never did so. Just refused to sign a release saying it would never sue.

Because aggy makes **** up with the ease that I have my morning BM.
Johnny Bear
Beaneater said:

Mine as well, and I for one am happy Ken Starr was our president when that went down. I don't understand the Ken Starr hate among several of the people that post on this site. IMO he was one if BU's greatest presidents and I wish he was still in place - Especially now.
Stefano DiMera
Id hold off that love on Starr until you see what if any NCAA penalties are handed down..
coldhardtruth
Anyone holding out hope of significant consequences for the SEC, Texas, OU, or ESPN are going to be disappointed.
You best remember me my friend
I am the cold hard truth
-George Jones
Reverend
Damn you're persistent. You may end up being correct but I doubt it's because you have some superior knowledge now.

Little guys can and do win lawsuits or huge settlements. If you have good lawyers the courtroom really levels the playing field.
Beaneater
Stefano DiMera said:

Id hold off that love on Starr until you see what if any NCAA penalties are handed down..

He thought the DOE's 'guidance letter' on T9 was wrong so he ignored it, to BU's detriment. Earlier, he kept the b12 from blowing up by calling aggy's bluff even when no one else did.
coldhardtruth
I cannot argue against anything said in your second comment. I know a lot of us are emotional about this. Everyone has a right to be.

However, my comments are based on what has happened throughout my lifetime and the currently changing landscape of collegiate athletics. I do not claim to have any insider knowledge.

What I don't want to see in 5 years is a bunch of people who should be supporting the Bears and Lady Bears talking about "if they never fired..." or "if we would have sued" like the broken down varsity hero sitting at the end of the bar on Tuesday night talking about insignificant glory that has long such faded into only his memory.
You best remember me my friend
I am the cold hard truth
-George Jones
oldbear69
Reverend said:

Damn you're persistent. You may end up being correct but I doubt it's because you have some superior knowledge now.

Little guys can and do win lawsuits or huge settlements. If you have good lawyers the courtroom really levels the playing field.
rev, our guys took a pretty good bite out of the tobacco industry, to the tune of $18 billion.....really good lawyers can bring them to the table...
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.