A little humor - Steve Spurrier's take on UT moving to SEC

1,862 Views | 19 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by RMF5630
Born_A_Bear
How long do you want to ignore this user?

https://www.si.com/college/2021/07/29/steve-spurrier-texas-oklahoma-move-comments


When asked by reporters about the Longhorns' potential move, Spurrier said, "I can understand Texas jumping over. They get to play Texas A&M again. They get to, they can't win the Big 12 anyway. I think they've only won two in the last 30 years or so. So I can see Texas jumping overmore money, playing A&M, this, that and the other."
PartyBear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
They can laugh now but whether Texas is at the top of the conference in the standings or in the middle, I can just about guarantee they will take over that conference politically speaking. It will be come their's just like every other one they have been in. Especially now with them being the Disney company's (ESPN) favorite university or favorite athletic program. None of them have experienced a conference mate like Texas (well A&M and they tried to warn). Someone asked on another thread how OU became Texas' little brother. Before long you will find Bama, Georgia, Florida will as well be doing Texas' bidding. Some of the lower level SEC programs are going to start finding they are vulnerable not just a private like Vandy but state schools there similar to OSU and Tech over here..
whitetrash
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Spurrier is also famous for saying "you can't spell Citrus Bowl without a U and a T."
boykin_spaniel
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Growing up a real UT fan(volunteers) it was always fun hating Spurrier. Dude was the highlight at media events. He often isn't wrong. He sent Phil Fulmer to the Citrus a lot.
thomasjurisd
How long do you want to ignore this user?
There will be a lot of post purchase dissonance for sureonly a matter of time. Fox is in the hen house.
TinFoilHatPreacherBear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
PartyBear said:

They can laugh now but whether Texas is at the top of the conference in the standings or in the middle, I can just about guarantee they will take over that conference politically speaking. It will be come their's just like every other one they have been in. Especially now with them being the Disney company's (ESPN) favorite university or favorite athletic program. None of them have experienced a conference mate like Texas (well A&M and they tried to warn). Someone asked on another thread how OU became Texas' little brother. Before long you will find Bama, Georgia, Florida will as well be doing Texas' bidding. Some of the lower level SEC programs are going to start finding they are vulnerable not just a private like Vandy but state schools there similar to OSU and Tech over here..
It's funny watching people here predict UT's demise. With UT's NIL advantage and ESPN shilling for them, you can bet they'll be rivaling Bama and be in the top 3 in no time. I hope I'm wrong and that they suck for a long long time. But I think they'll be stacked in 3-4 years, and when they finally get to move over to the SEC, they'll be competing strongly after a season or two.

The greedy SEC schools that voted to take UT deserve what they're going to get. They voted for money and against their own school's fandom. SEC school fans should be upset, but I think we've learned that most of the schools can't compete, so they live vicariously through SEC prestige rather than seeing their own team win.


beardoc
How long do you want to ignore this user?
TinFoilHatPreacherBear said:

PartyBear said:

They can laugh now but whether Texas is at the top of the conference in the standings or in the middle, I can just about guarantee they will take over that conference politically speaking. It will be come their's just like every other one they have been in. Especially now with them being the Disney company's (ESPN) favorite university or favorite athletic program. None of them have experienced a conference mate like Texas (well A&M and they tried to warn). Someone asked on another thread how OU became Texas' little brother. Before long you will find Bama, Georgia, Florida will as well be doing Texas' bidding. Some of the lower level SEC programs are going to start finding they are vulnerable not just a private like Vandy but state schools there similar to OSU and Tech over here..
It's funny watching people here predict UT's demise. With UT's NIL advantage and ESPN shilling for them, you can bet they'll be rivaling Bama and be in the top 3 in no time. I hope I'm wrong and that they suck for a long long time. But I think they'll be stacked in 3-4 years, and when they finally get to move over to the SEC, they'll be competing strongly after a season or two.

The greedy SEC schools that voted to take UT deserve what they're going to get. They voted for money and against their own school's fandom. SEC school fans should be upset, but I think we've learned that most of the schools can't compete, so they live vicariously through SEC prestige rather than seeing their own team win.



"But I think they'll be stacked in 3-4 years, "

They're pretty much stacked every year.
PartyBear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
TinFoilHatPreacherBear said:

PartyBear said:

They can laugh now but whether Texas is at the top of the conference in the standings or in the middle, I can just about guarantee they will take over that conference politically speaking. It will be come their's just like every other one they have been in. Especially now with them being the Disney company's (ESPN) favorite university or favorite athletic program. None of them have experienced a conference mate like Texas (well A&M and they tried to warn). Someone asked on another thread how OU became Texas' little brother. Before long you will find Bama, Georgia, Florida will as well be doing Texas' bidding. Some of the lower level SEC programs are going to start finding they are vulnerable not just a private like Vandy but state schools there similar to OSU and Tech over here..
It's funny watching people here predict UT's demise. With UT's NIL advantage and ESPN shilling for them, you can bet they'll be rivaling Bama and be in the top 3 in no time. I hope I'm wrong and that they suck for a long long time. But I think they'll be stacked in 3-4 years, and when they finally get to move over to the SEC, they'll be competing strongly after a season or two.

The greedy SEC schools that voted to take UT deserve what they're going to get. They voted for money and against their own school's fandom. SEC school fans should be upset, but I think we've learned that most of the schools can't compete, so they live vicariously through SEC prestige rather than seeing their own team win.





I think the opposite, UT will in short order be running that conference and the SEC as those southerners have always known is what will meet its demise. In fact it may end up completely reorganized by UT and ESPN with some current and traditional members perhaps being excluded and get a new name etc. More power to espn and Texas on that front, the currently named SEC gets what it deserves bringing Texas in the way they did. The same fate as the SWC and Big 8
SSadler
How long do you want to ignore this user?
PartyBear said, "Before long you will find Bama, Georgia, Florida will as well be doing Texas' bidding."

Really?

You gotta give PartyBear credit for looking at football life thru burnt orange glasses.
PartyBear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Look at what they did to the SWC and Big XII which was OU's old Big 8. They aren't doing all of this to suddenly adopt an agenda of saying "let's be an equal partner to Ole Miss" now.
RMF5630
How long do you want to ignore this user?
When has UTs actions, political moves or money translated into Football dominance, SWC or B12? They have a season or two, then same old mediocre play. Baylor has done more with less. No way they are top 3 in SEC, I say behind Bama, Georgia. Florida, Oklahoma, LSU, about A&M, Auburn and Arkansas level. People forget, B12 was Texas-centric and UT could dominate. Florida and Georgia will not care that UT is Texas their States pack just as much as a punch. Lets see UT deal with Bama politics, they just don't care.
Russell Gym
How long do you want to ignore this user?
ESPN runs the SEC.
TinFoilHatPreacherBear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
beardoc said:

TinFoilHatPreacherBear said:


It's funny watching people here predict UT's demise. With UT's NIL advantage and ESPN shilling for them, you can bet they'll be rivaling Bama and be in the top 3 in no time. I hope I'm wrong and that they suck for a long long time. But I think they'll be stacked in 3-4 years, and when they finally get to move over to the SEC, they'll be competing strongly after a season or two.

The greedy SEC schools that voted to take UT deserve what they're going to get. They voted for money and against their own school's fandom. SEC school fans should be upset, but I think we've learned that most of the schools can't compete, so they live vicariously through SEC prestige rather than seeing their own team win.



"But I think they'll be stacked in 3-4 years, "

They're pretty much stacked every year.
I understand what you are saying, but NIL plus their new SEC football appetite will change things quickly once they swap conferences. I believe UT leadership (formal and informal) will be willing to adapt quite a bit to make things work quickly in the SEC.
I hope I'm wrong.
TinFoilHatPreacherBear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
RMF5630 said:

When has UTs actions, political moves or money translated into Football dominance, SWC or B12? They have a season or two, then same old mediocre play. Baylor has done more with less. No way they are top 3 in SEC, I say behind Bama, Georgia. Florida, Oklahoma, LSU, about A&M, Auburn and Arkansas level. People forget, B12 was Texas-centric and UT could dominate. Florida and Georgia will not care that UT is Texas their States pack just as much as a punch. Lets see UT deal with Bama politics, they just don't care.
I don't think they'll dominate conference politics exactly, just that they'll be changing how they do business on the field, which will translate into wins. I think NIL favors them tremendously, and the fact that the swap to the SEC will force the UT leadership to adapt. Bama in a matter of years will now have UT competing for the same kids more so than it does now, not based on the kids choice of schools, but on how much money they're going to get. I think UT will be top 3 in NIL in short order, and that the UT leadership (both formal and influential leadership) will get down and dirty to compete in the SEC. They've been conservative on coaching choices and decisions in the past. Those days will be gone. They'll be aggressive on staffing and culture change, and they'll be paying top dollar.

I may be overestimating them, I sure hope so.
Stranger
How long do you want to ignore this user?
SSadler said:

PartyBear said, "Before long you will find Bama, Georgia, Florida will as well be doing Texas' bidding."

Really?

You gotta give PartyBear credit for looking at football life thru burnt orange glasses.

I find it remarkable that the cows are optimistic with a coach that hasn't even won a game. Seems reminiscent of the last two coaches they've hired and fired. And each time the guy they wanted was named Saban.

We'll see.
I'm a Bearbacker
historian
How long do you want to ignore this user?
beardoc said:

TinFoilHatPreacherBear said:

PartyBear said:

They can laugh now but whether Texas is at the top of the conference in the standings or in the middle, I can just about guarantee they will take over that conference politically speaking. It will be come their's just like every other one they have been in. Especially now with them being the Disney company's (ESPN) favorite university or favorite athletic program. None of them have experienced a conference mate like Texas (well A&M and they tried to warn). Someone asked on another thread how OU became Texas' little brother. Before long you will find Bama, Georgia, Florida will as well be doing Texas' bidding. Some of the lower level SEC programs are going to start finding they are vulnerable not just a private like Vandy but state schools there similar to OSU and Tech over here..
It's funny watching people here predict UT's demise. With UT's NIL advantage and ESPN shilling for them, you can bet they'll be rivaling Bama and be in the top 3 in no time. I hope I'm wrong and that they suck for a long long time. But I think they'll be stacked in 3-4 years, and when they finally get to move over to the SEC, they'll be competing strongly after a season or two.

The greedy SEC schools that voted to take UT deserve what they're going to get. They voted for money and against their own school's fandom. SEC school fans should be upset, but I think we've learned that most of the schools can't compete, so they live vicariously through SEC prestige rather than seeing their own team win.



"But I think they'll be stacked in 3-4 years, "

They're pretty much stacked every year.

In talent. But it does not translate into winning games.
Canada2017
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Amazing that 85% of the media chatter is about UT.....when OU has been the dominate football program in the Big 12 for years .

OU admission benefits the SEC....UT...not so much .
BUGWBBear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
UT will be Bama's latest b I t c h.
BylrFan
How long do you want to ignore this user?
TinFoilHatPreacherBear said:

RMF5630 said:

When has UTs actions, political moves or money translated into Football dominance, SWC or B12? They have a season or two, then same old mediocre play. Baylor has done more with less. No way they are top 3 in SEC, I say behind Bama, Georgia. Florida, Oklahoma, LSU, about A&M, Auburn and Arkansas level. People forget, B12 was Texas-centric and UT could dominate. Florida and Georgia will not care that UT is Texas their States pack just as much as a punch. Lets see UT deal with Bama politics, they just don't care.
I don't think they'll dominate conference politics exactly, just that they'll be changing how they do business on the field, which will translate into wins. I think NIL favors them tremendously, and the fact that the swap to the SEC will force the UT leadership to adapt. Bama in a matter of years will now have UT competing for the same kids more so than it does now, not based on the kids choice of schools, but on how much money they're going to get. I think UT will be top 3 in NIL in short order, and that the UT leadership (both formal and influential leadership) will get down and dirty to compete in the SEC. They've been conservative on coaching choices and decisions in the past. Those days will be gone. They'll be aggressive on staffing and culture change, and they'll be paying top dollar.

I may be overestimating them, I sure hope so.


Ahmad Dixon said it best

RMF5630
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I think NIL will actually hurt these teams. I can see more sit-outs and taking self out of game to protect future earnings now. Once Bama QB takes that money, Saban no longer only one calling shots. Also, gonna be interesting to see how rest of team, not getting NIL money feel, especially when they are ones blocking or supporting star. You can see HS teams have kids not want to play position Coach puts them because loss of NIL potential, example RB vs LB. Or DB vs WR. We had a LB ultimately played for Philly, today no way does he let himself be put at DE/LB, he is RB period. This will ultimately harm team sports.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1
 
×
subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.