Football
Sponsored by

Predict Baylor's future conference home

7,381 Views | 83 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by PartyBear
Stranger
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Boredom has set in. Prognosticate our fate.

Just one wild ass guess per post.

Elaborate on your logic . . . or don't.

I've had a vision that the Bears will become members of the Atlantic Coast Conference.

OK. Who's next?
I'm a Bearbacker
NeuroticBear
Gonna be AAC, I'm afraid.

AAC could be a decent second-tier conference, but the days of being in a power conference are soon coming to an end.
thomasjurisd
Remind me of that conference Harvard and Yale are in that one. We've already got the perfect location for a crew team to host races past the Gem of the Brazos.
ilbb990912
Some version of AAC .
bear2be2
The Big 12.

The Forgotten 8 will rebuild and rebrand because it's the best of all undesirable options at this point.
pitchspork
thomasjurisd said:

Remind me of that conference Harvard and Yale are in that one. We've already got the perfect location for a crew team to host races past the Gem of the Brazos.

One day soon new freshmen on crew will ask their senior captain, "what's that massive old abandoned building along the race route?"

The senior will just shake his head sadly.
Stefano DiMera
I fear McLane becoming one of those Spirit Halloween pop up stores.
PartyBear
bear2be2 said:

The Big 12.

The Forgotten 8 will rebuild and rebrand because it's the best of all undesirable options at this point.

That would still be some version of what the AAC currently is. In other words the money will be in the G5 neighborhood not in the current P5 neighborhood. I think you know that but I get the impression some think it will still be a P5 like conf because it still has the name XII and maybe even 12 teams.
bear2be2
PartyBear said:

bear2be2 said:

The Big 12.

That would still be some version of what the AAC currently is. In other words the money will be in the G5 neighborhood not in the current P5 neighborhood. I think you know that but I get the impression some think it will still be a P5 like conf because it still has the name XII and maybe even 12 teams.
And ...

I know some of y'all are still holding out hope for some sort of Hail Mary here, but it ain't happening. Our time in a top-tier college football conference is over. The best we can hope for is to land in a league that 1) has access to an expanded playoff and 2) pays out better than the AAC. An expanded Big 12 is our best and last hope of that.
PartyBear
If USC, Oregon, UCLA, Stanford, UW and CU are talking to the BIG as rumored there will even be less of the PAC left. Again I find it hard to believe that UCLA with the same BOR as Cal is talking to a conf and excluding Cal talk about breach of duties. They would have to be a package. So that rumor may just be outlandish nonsense.
fadskier
Big 12 with Memphis, Houston, Cincy and UCF added
Proud 1992 Alum
Or replace Houston or Memphis with BYU.
REX
SJCFC?
CorsicanaBear
We will not be in the top tier of "college" football going forward because we will be unable to generate sufficient NIL money to attract top players. The top league will not be part of the NCAA and will have ~36 teams. A number of other schools currently in P5 conferences not named the Big 12 will be in the same situation.

NIL arrived. The CFB world changed in an instant.
Mitch Blood Green
Independent
chriscbear
Baylor because of football and basketball is a top 20 school athleticly. Just based on football we are some where between 16 to 27. Its because of location and facilities and our record since 2010 in football/basketball. Texas population is 29 million and BU on I35 corridor San Antonio to DFW is experiencing a boom and Waco right in the middle of it. Also Fixer upper with Chip and Johanna. Baylor will be fine.
FLBear5630
Rebuild B12. Hope that we can recruit enough to get in playoff and win a game or two.

Only outside hope is if ESPN or FOX is willing to elevate the AAC payout to current B12 levels. Using the argument that the new system is a rising tide that is lifting all ships, in exchange for an agreement to let UT and OU go now with no penalty. B12 will have a hard time arguing loss if the money and TV stays the same. It let's ESPN off the hook. That is the tact I would argue. You help the rest of us, we are in. It just can't be for the elite. But what do I know.

Sad thing is that Baylor invested the money back into the B12 with top facilities and top other teams. Gonna be hard to meet OM&A on those facilities at 1/4 the revenue...
fadskier
Proud 1992 Alum said:

Or replace Houston or Memphis with BYU.

I'd love to add BYU, but that puts the conference in three time zones
BanjoBear94
D-III
RegentCoverup
You guys are doomsayers.

There is a strategy to take on this type of carteling. Gary Patterson did it at TCU. It took time but he eventually bloodied their noses into giving into his will.

Our strategy is to circle the wagons and be a fly in the ointment of Aggy and UT. If anything, the recruiting just got a bit easier, because the incentive for a Texas kid to leave, go play in Oklahoma and never have his family see him play will be a strategic obstacle that has to be overcome.

There is enough of a market for the kids that aren't getting a shot in this new world order to build a roster of players. Do that, challenge the powers that be, and demand they play on even terms and there is a network(FOX) that will cover it.

It KILLS the SEC brand when they play a non-conf game and lose. But make the public want it bad enough and it will happen.

This site leaks private information to Baylor Regents and Administration
EvilTroyAndAbed
CorsicanaBear said:

We will not be in the top tier of "college" football going forward because we will be unable to generate sufficient NIL money to attract top players. The top league will not be part of the NCAA and will have ~36 teams. A number of other schools currently in P5 conferences not named the Big 12 will be in the same situation.

NIL arrived. The CFB world changed in an instant.
This would have happened without NIL.
CorsicanaBear
Quote:

This would have happened without NIL.
Likely, but not certainly, and over a longer period of time. NIL made it a certainty today.
PartyBear
Speaking of which do we have the BMD's lined up to pay our hoops players and pay new players to sign with us to keep an elite level men's and women's hoops program?
parch
chriscbear said:

Baylor because of football and basketball is a top 20 school athleticly. Just based on football we are some where between 16 to 27. Its because of location and facilities and our record since 2010 in football/basketball. Texas population is 29 million and BU on I35 corridor San Antonio to DFW is experiencing a boom and Waco right in the middle of it. Also Fixer upper with Chip and Johanna. Baylor will be fine.
Yeah, but Texas hasn't been anywhere near a top 20 school athletically in a decade in any sport to speak of except maybe baseball, and the SEC still would've mortgaged its collective children to accept them. Why? Branding, name recognition, money. Texas football has been nationally irrelevant for a long time, but I guarantee that had exactly zero bearing on the SEC's decision-making process.

Our only real defense in all this is our athletic performance, which is legitimately one of the best pound-for-pound across the board in the entire country. But in conference musical chairs, the other stuff just matters more. Especially knowing that college athletes at big-brand schools are about to get paid big cash, conferences care more about that stuff than whether you're actually good or not. Unfortunately.
Polo Bear
The B1G, for over obvious reasons, but also to piss of the negative nancies on here who have thrown in the towel without a fight.

Seriously, where is your damn spine?
burg0047
TellMeYouLoveMe said:

If anything, the recruiting just got a bit easier, because the incentive for a Texas kid to leave, go play in Oklahoma and never have his family see him play will be a strategic obstacle that has to be overcome.

This x100! There are certain kids for whom this won't make a bit a difference. For the majority, though, it will be a deal breaker/maker as the family contemplates the path forward for their son. We were never going to get the 5* dream chasers anyway -- for the 3's and low 4's where family matters most, we have a leg up on the competition now.
RegentCoverup
burg0047 said:

TellMeYouLoveMe said:

If anything, the recruiting just got a bit easier, because the incentive for a Texas kid to leave, go play in Oklahoma and never have his family see him play will be a strategic obstacle that has to be overcome.

This x100! There are certain kids for whom this won't make a bit a difference. For the majority, though, it will be a deal breaker/maker as the family contemplates the path forward for their son. We were never going to get the 5* dream chasers anyway -- for the 3's and low 4's where family matters most, we have a leg up on the competition now.
Switzer said it. Osborne said it, Jimmy Johnson said it. Go watch the Miami 30 for 30. The first thing they had to do was win the State of Miami in recruiting and that turned the program around.

Kids don't want to take a travel job at 19 and go work for someone that doesn't care about them .

Kids want to play in front of their friends and mom and Dad.

End of story.
This site leaks private information to Baylor Regents and Administration
CorsicanaBear
Quote:

Kids don't want to take a travel job at 19 and go work for someone that doesn't care about them .
Depends on the pay. If low 4's make $100k/year in NIL, they'd go for that.

But it really won't matter come the ~36 team College Premier League, we won't be playing against those teams. All their games will be against each other and they'll have their own playoff and championship.
parch
TellMeYouLoveMe said:

burg0047 said:

TellMeYouLoveMe said:

Switzer said it. Osborne said it, Jimmy Johnson said. Go watch the Miami 30 for 30. The first thing they had to do was win the State of Miami in recruiting and that turned the program around.

Kids want to play in front of their friends and mom and Dad.

End of story.
This is 80's logic. The world is smaller and more monetarily incentivized now. I'm not saying kids don't want to play in front of their parents, but there are bigger factors in play now, especially for high-end recruits. As high school stars become more aware of their own power and agency, they will continue to understand the business side of the game better and make moves that benefit themselves and their future. As we're going to see with the conference insanity and mass geographic expansion of those conferences over the next few years, recruiting is going to become more national than regional.

It's just a different world than Barry or Jimmy inhabited, and we're never going back.
Stranger
so far you fans think the Bears will continue playing in sf one form of the Big XII. Is it because it might mean more money?

There seems to be a lot of unknown in the college football world.
I'm a Bearbacker
TeamPlayer
fadskier said:

Big 12 with Memphis, Houston, Cincy and UCF added
No Memphis or UCF, but add BYU and Boise along with Cincinnati and Houston. Still a massive drop, but could be worse.
BearlyBeloved
bear2be2 said:

The Big 12.

Gotta shed the number, though. It's too easy to make fun of how the Big 12 only had 10 teams.

Keep the Big but add something else. Maybe the Big Kahuna Conference?
ScottS
All I know.........we need to extract the $160M UT/OU owes...
bear2be2
BearlyBeloved said:

bear2be2 said:

The Big 12.

Gotta shed the number, though. It's too easy to make fun of how the Big 12 only had 10 teams.

Keep the Big but add something else. Maybe the Big Kahuna Conference?

I think you're overthinking this. Let's just add four more schools and get back to 12. Then it makes sense again.

And wait for the PAC-12 to do the same thing once it's raided and form an alliance of 24 schools.
boognish_bear
Sounds like a good fit for Baylor

Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.