Football
Sponsored by

College football realignment: FSU president John Thrasher does not want Florida State

1,681 Views | 8 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Chamberman
gobears20
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Staff

Quote:

"I just want us to be prepared" Thrasher said, via the Democrat. "My point to [FSU director of athletics] David Coburn and to [new ACC commissioner] Jim Phillips is I don't want Florida State to be left behind. I consider us part of the ACC, but I also know that we have a marquee name, Clemson has a marquee name. I think there might be people coming after us, I don't know, but we've got to be prepared no matter what the options are."

Thrasher went on to acknowledge the financial gains involved in realignment, as well as the red tape standing in the way of any moves.
"At the end of the day, it's all about money," Thrasher said. "It's all about TV revenue, contracts. Nobody can leave a conference without a significant buyout penalty, including us, so it would have to be something very special for us to leave.

"On the other hand, that doesn't mean we can't attract some other people. I think the ACC, when you put the academic side of what it's about today against any of the other conferences, we're head and shoulders above, I think. That, to me, is attractive to some of the universities out there. Preparation, options, all that's on the table. We're getting prepared for whatever happens.

"The Oklahoma, Texas thing, in my opinion, is the tip of the iceberg. It's there, but it's certainly going to be much broader than that when it's said and done."

jackets320
He brings up academics. That is not a factor in what is going on. It's all about the$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
BearFan33
jackets320 said:

He brings up academics. That is not a factor in what is going on. It's all about the$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

university president has to provide lip service to academics, even though everyone knows it doesn't matter.
PartyBear
BearFan33 said:

jackets320 said:

university president has to provide lip service to academics, even though everyone knows it doesn't matter.
Exactly. The networks could care less about AAU so BiG is being fake about that qualification. And if a kid can skip his senior year in HS to be on the Ohio St football team for million dollars or so, what is the point of Ohio State's AAU status when it comes to football or all Ohio St athletics in general. Not just picking on Ohio State but they are in the BiG and that is my example about how AAU really means nothing in all of this.
parch
"At the end of the day, it's all about money," Thrasher said. "It's all about TV revenue, contracts. Nobody can leave a conference without a significant buyout penalty, including us, so it would have to be something very special for us to leave."

Just put this up on the wall and end the discussions here. Three things that have almost zero bearing in conference realignment discussions - to our detriment, I might add - are academics, competitive balance and athletic performance. If a lot of people pay into your program because it has cachet, even if you haven't been relevant in years and years, then you're on the table. FSU could be more or less done as a relevant national player in football after Bobby and Jimbo (they've certainly been terrible for a while), but you think that would stop the SEC?

It's just branding and money, man. And our brand is hardly ironclad, in multiple ways.
Chamberman
parch said:

And our brand is hardly ironclad, in multiple ways.
Let's be honest...our football brand on a national level compared to the top 25 football schools is non-existent.
ScottS
I'm going to ask a question now....Are UT's actions causing a total barf o rama?
PartyBear
We have much more of a brand now athletically than 11 years ago. Significantly more actually. That said I'm not expecting it to be enough. If we could have had another 10 or so more years of what the past 10 have generally been like to be building on it, maybe so. But the clock is striking now.
parch
Chamberman said:

parch said:

And our brand is hardly ironclad, in multiple ways.
Let's be honest...our football brand on a national level compared to the top 25 football schools is non-existent.
Not only is our football brand church-mouse quiet comparatively speaking to the big boys, but we're also still dealing with the ghosts of the 2010's on a national level, which is undoubtedly in the back of conference's minds in these discussions. Brands make money, and our brand isn't exactly set in firmed up concrete at the moment.
Chamberman
PartyBear said:

We have much more of a brand now athletically than 11 years ago.
Athletically? Having an overall athletic brand means nothing with regards to conference affiliation and TV money.

Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.