Football
Sponsored by

College Football World Reacts To Big Ten, USC Rumors

3,506 Views | 30 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by bear2be2
gobears20
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Staff
PartyBear
I read this last night if true and the BiG is about to jump to 20 with 6 PAC members, the PAC will have a smaller remnant than even the XII. That could even be enough votes to dissolve the PAC depending on what the bylaws say.
bear2be2
PartyBear said:

I read this last night if true and the BiG is about to jump to 20 with 6 PAC members, the PAC will have a smaller remnant than even the XII. That could even be enough votes to dissolve the PAC depending on what the bylaws say.
The PAC-12 shouldn't dissolve. The remaining schools should add the best remaining regional G5 schools, get back to 12 and create a scheduling/TV contract alliance with an expanded Big 12.

There's no reason for these leftover schools to allow ESPN and their blueblood "mates" to usher their leagues out of existence. With the top tier of college football going crazy, it makes all the more sense for those directly under that bunch to swing the pendulum back to sanity and focus on regional rivalries and on-field performance. In other words, the things fans actually enjoy about the sport.
Aberzombie1892
PartyBear said:

The B1G would have to add more than two since it would be difficult to justify expanding to the west coast for only two teams. USC, Washington, Oregon would be the bigger gets, and that would only leave one slot remaining for an 18 team B1G or three slots remaining for a 20 team B1G. It will be fascinating to see how this one pans out.
BearFan33
Aberzombie1892 said:

PartyBear said:

The B1G would have to add more than two since it would be difficult to justify expanding to the west coast for only two teams. USC, Washington, Oregon would be the bigger gets, and that would only leave one slot remaining for an 18 team B1G or three slots remaining for a 20 team B1G. It will be fascinating to see how this one pans out.
Baylor is available
bear2be2
Aberzombie1892 said:

PartyBear said:

Notre Dame makes way too much sense for the Big Ten, but that's been true forever.
BylrFan
The only way this happens is if a good chunk of teams merge with the Big 10. No way a singular school from the west coast wants to travel to the Midwest/east coast for games for ALL sports
PartyBear
The story indicated the BiG may be about to raid about half the Pac to get to 20 not just raiding one or two..
FLBear5630
I hate that picture!!! USC and OSU should play in the Rose Bowl. They destroyed College Football when they moved to the BCS structure, that was the start. I liked the regional conferences, I liked that different regions played different styles. I could even live with the Top Schools winning most of the time because every four or five years a Georgia Tech, Boston College, Miami, or a Minnesota could get a string of recruiting to compete. College football was better because a Georgia Tech or Miami could win the whole thing. Just like College Basketball is better because a Baylor or Villonova could win it all. Or that an Indiana State or Northern Iowa can make the final four. The system that ESPN is trying to create destroys it and the University Presidents are complicit in their own destruction. If USC joins B10, you might as well call it NFL-lite. It is no longer College Football... Sad.
PartyBear
I suspect that this will end up shaking down to a P2 system of about 40 schools total maybe a little more. My guess is that this will not be a P2 of "SEC" and "BIG" as we have known them traditionall. I think the networks will have both conferences reorganize and some historic members of these conferences are not necessarily going to be invited back into the reorganized P2 whatever name these conferences go by. Some not currently in them or even being being candidates to be raided right now could end up in them as replacements. We all know based on the XII, SWC and looks like soon to be Pac potentially that no tradition is sacred. That is just what I think will happen.
Chamberman
BylrFan said:

No way a singular school from the west coast wants to travel to the Midwest/east coast for games for ALL sports
Yeah that's crazy said every WVU alum ever.
blackie
If any of this is true, it just seems to me that the Big XII 8 just needs to ride this out. No reason to panic at this point. Collect as much exit money as possible and get setup for what follows. If this scenario in this thread comes to light, I don't see many, if any of the 8 being in the mix. Yes, we would end up in a media considered lower position, but we would be in a position with our peers and many of those names are nothing to scoff at. A lot of them would also be leftovers from the existing P5 conferences Of course after some number of years, some of those in the second tier would start to try to be in an elite conference of their own, albeit at this lower level compared to the "super" conference. And the dilution cycle would continue. Unless something changes with the athletic money over academics mindset abates.

I think I would rather be in that position than having my head beat in finishing in the bottom of the super conference year after year. Of course some of the blue bloods will find that out. That will be something to enjoy. Right now, the SEC, for example, has their bottom feeders that can be feasted upon by their more elite conference brethren, but once they kick those out to form this super conference, who will they be able to feed on, other than themselves. Karma is a b****.

I don't know where Baylor will end up, conference wise, but my bet would be that they end up with the same type of teams currently left in the Big XII.

BearFan33
blackie said:

If any of this is true, it just seems to me that the Big XII 8 just needs to ride this out. No reason to panic at this point. Collect as much exit money as possible and get setup for what follows. If this scenario in this thread comes to light, I don't see many, if any of the 8 being in the mix. Yes, we would end up in a media considered lower position, but we would be in a position with our peers and many of those names are nothing to scoff at. A lot of them would also be leftovers from the existing P5 conferences Of course after some number of years, some of those in the second tier would start to try to be in an elite conference of their own, albeit at this lower level compared to the "super" conference. And the dilution cycle would continue. Unless something changes with the athletic money over academics mindset abates.

I think I would rather be in that position than having my head beat in finishing in the bottom of the super conference year after year. Of course some of the blue bloods will find that out. That will be something to enjoy. Right now, the SEC, for example, has their bottom feeders that can be feasted upon by their more elite conference brethren, but once they kick those out to form this super conference, who will they be able to feed on, other than themselves. Karma is a b****.

I don't know where Baylor will end up, conference wise, but my bet would be that they end up with the same type of teams currently left in the Big XII.

It looks like there are going to be more schools moving to a "have not" conference than just the leftover 8 from the B12. With that said, I would prefer to be losing often in a "have" conference than winning more in a "have not" conference. The revenue difference is very, very important to the school. And with that said, I have faith that BU could find a way to compete in (and even win) a have conference. We have before and can do it again.
PartyBear
If major conference football is being reduced down to 40 or fewer schools across the country. You can count on Baylor not being included. Frankly as I said there are current BIG and SEC members and historic members at that who also will be excluded. Being in those two conferences right now is not an automatic in to what I think is emerging. So the good news is that if it is going down to 44, 40 or 32 that means upwards to around half of all current P5s are in the same boat as Baylor. Baylor, Tech etc just all have the good fortune at least if you want to be positive about it of already knowing it. It may be a surprise to most of the others.
FLBear5630
BylrFan said:

The only way this happens is if a good chunk of teams merge with the Big 10. No way a singular school from the west coast wants to travel to the Midwest/east coast for games for ALL sports
The question is do they do it for playing Purdue, Indiana, Rutgers and Northwestern? They will make the trip for OSU, Michigan, Penn State and even Wisconsin.

Actually, Penn State is a great example to UT and especially OU of what this type of Conference hopping can look like, even if you are a blueblood. How relevant has Penn State been in the past 20 years? One season, two? They thought the B10 would help recruiting and they would finally get their due. Well, 1 NC (94), 0 Playoffs and 4 B10 Championships in 27 years. I am sure that is not the production they expected going in.
bear2be2
PartyBear said:

If major conference football is being reduced down to 40 or fewer schools across the country. You can count on Baylor not being included. Frankly as I said there are current BIG and SEC members and historic members at that who also will be excluded. Being in those two conferences right now is not an automatic in to what I think is emerging. So the good news is that if it is going down to 44, 40 or 32 that means upwards to around half of all current P5s are in the same boat as Baylor. Baylor, Tech etc just all have the good fortune at least if you want to be positive about it of already knowing it. It may be a surprise to most of the others.
Yep, and there are benefits.

If you're not having to worry in every decision about appeasing your in-conference overlords or positioning yourself for an inevitable realignment, you can make decisions that actually make sense for you and the other programs in your conference.

A reset of this nature would shift the focus back to the things that make college football unique -- regional leagues and rivalries, tradition and the spirit of on-field competition. Let the bluebloods worry about the silly politicking and backstabbing that is destroying the sport from the inside out.
Timbear
The fact that because of Money, some fans would prefer losing over winning, just shows how twisted people's sense of what competition is has become. The NFL can find a good player no matter where they are. I doubt that the NCAA will govern the super conferences. They will be a law unto themselves. Kind of like always. The Big 12 should add 4 to 8 teams and just roll on. Surely, collectively, there would be enough eyeballs.
bear2be2
Timbear said:

The fact that because of Money, some fans would prefer losing over winning, just shows how twisted people's sense of what competition is has become. The NFL can find a good player no matter where they are. I doubt that the NCAA will govern the super conferences. They will be a law unto themselves. Kind of like always. The Big 12 should add 4 to 8 teams and just roll on. Surely, collectively, there would be enough eyeballs.
I agree 100 percent. We as fans won't see a cent of this money. How anyone could care more about that than on-field success is beyond me.
CorsicanaBear
Quote:

A reset of this nature would shift the focus back to the things that make college football unique -- regional leagues and rivalries, tradition and the spirit of on-field competition.
I went to high school in North Carolina. A number of my friends that I still keep up with went to Appalachian State. They love game day, its one big party with a family atmosphere. Boone, NC is a great place to go see a game. In terms of athletics, they love what they have, and don't worry about what they don't have.
TinFoilHatPreacherBear
Timbear said:

I somewhat agree with this, but it's not just about the money. It's about competing with the best. Would you rather play in the majors hoping to win, or would you rather play little league knowing you'll win.

I think that's some of the rationalization going on, and it's not wrong exactly. Just not what college sports should be ... but is currently. And after the split between the have and have nots, NIL will make it so even the "have nots" leagues won't be a true competition of equals.

Aberzombie1892
Timbear said:

The issue is that the bolded would dramatically reduce the payouts for each additional program added that isn't worth their own weight to media partners - none of the realistic expansion candidates do - and the remaining Big 12 members have debt that was expected to be serviced by the P5 money even beyond 2025 and the Big 12 teams have coaches (even outside of football) and infrastructure that was priced on the expectation of continued power conference payouts. Because that is the case, the Big 12 will likely try to maximize payouts in part by minimizing membership as long as it can, and, when (if?) it does expand, it would only expand to the extent necessary to remain a viable conference (i.e. 2 teams to 10 total members) and slowly ease those members into the conference by giving them partial payouts for years.
IowaBear
Well if Texas goal is "competing with the best" they're ****ed. They can't even win the B12. They're a middle of the pack team in a pretty mediocre football conference. They will get absolutely destroyed in the SEC.
nachothrasher
I still think the remaining 8 need to be thinking about teaming up with the remaining from some other conference (which is coming).

It could be the remaining Pac or the remaining ACC.

I would stay away from SMU, UofH etc for now.
ScottS
UT causing a total barf o rama.
BluesBear
When the ACC get involved and look to expand?
PartyBear
The writing is on the wall. What we now know as the XII, ACC and Pac will not be the equivalent of today's P5 conferences in a few years. As will there be some remnant of what today is called the SEC and BiG as well who will not be the equivalent of today's P5. . They will be the equivalent of today's G5s. Its just a matter now of seeing who the remnants of each of the other conference ends up being. We sort of have an idea about the remnant of the Pac based on reports.
Aberzombie1892
PartyBear said:

The writing is on the wall. What we now know as the XII, ACC and Pac will not be the equivalent of today's P5 conferences in a few years. As will there be some remnant of what today is called the SEC and BiG as well who will not be the equivalent of today's P5. . They will be the equivalent of today's G5s. Its just a matter now of seeing who the remnants of each of the other conference ends up being. We sort of have an idea about the remnant of the Pac based on reports.

There will likely be the top division of the SEC and B1G with 40ish schools followed by a division with two to three conferences making up the rest. The most painful part is the remnants of the Big 12, PAC, and ACC having readjust their budgets to reflect their loss of affiliation with the high profile programs and the benefits that they derived from that affiliation (viewership, donations, alumni engagement, impact on local community, recruiting, capital expenditures, coaching salaries, marketing budget and impact, enrollment gains, national relevance, etc.).
bear2be2
nachothrasher said:

I still think the remaining 8 need to be thinking about teaming up with the remaining from some other conference (which is coming).

It could be the remaining Pac or the remaining ACC.

I would stay away from SMU, UofH etc for now.
Why? It doesn't strengthen the position of any of these leagues to combine. It only adds travel cost and creates a bunch of conference games that neither team cares about.

A better solution is to form 12-team regional leagues, adding the best G5 programs around each one to replace the deserters, create a scheduling alliance between former P5 leagues for nonconference games and collectively bargain the best TV contract you can. That way, you have leagues and matchups that the fans involved actually care about and just as competitive an on-field product.

Super conferences aren't necessary or prudent once the big money is out of the equation. And nothing any of the leftovers do will bring that big money back.
bear2be2
LondonBear said:

When the ACC get involved and look to expand?
They likely don't. There's nothing they can add that will help them compete with the SEC and Big Ten. They're in the same situation the PAC-12 is in. They're on the plate, not at the table. The only thing protecting them is the world's longest grant of rights deal.
curtpenn
CorsicanaBear said:

Quote:

A reset of this nature would shift the focus back to the things that make college football unique -- regional leagues and rivalries, tradition and the spirit of on-field competition.
I went to high school in North Carolina. A number of my friends that I still keep up with went to Appalachian State. They love game day, its one big party with a family atmosphere. Boone, NC is a great place to go see a game. In terms of athletics, they love what they have, and don't worry about what they don't have.

We live in Dallas and our son went to SMU. Had season tickets to see the Ponies for a few years while he was there. Really enjoyed the game day experience with easy parking only about 10 minutes from our house and the whole boulevard thing. Tickets were relatively cheap and the Ponies were entertaining while winning quite a few games. That's really all you need.
Beaneater
Timbear said:

Here's the thing I keep coming back to: does a 4A high school feel bad it didn't win the 6A stare championship? Of course not.

Let the top 40 go do their thing & determine their champion. Let the FCS do the same. Then all of us in the middlesome 80 teamswill also compete for a championship. Due to NIL & blue bloodedness, almost all the 5 & 4 stars are in the top 40. The rest of us will get the best kids we can & play college football.

I'm good with that.
bear2be2
Beaneater said:

Timbear said:

Here's the thing I keep coming back to: does a 4A high school feel bad it didn't win the 6A stare championship? Of course not.

Let the top 40 go do their thing & determine their champion. Let the FCS do the same. Then all of us in the middlesome 80 teamswill also compete for a championship. Due to NIL & blue bloodedness, almost all the 5 & 4 stars are in the top 40. The rest of us will get the best kids we can & play college football.

I'm good with that.
I agree completely. Embrace what you are/have and commit to being the best you can possibly be.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.