Football
Sponsored by

Should we ever play them again?

4,951 Views | 57 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Ghostrider
boognish_bear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Thee University
bear2be2 said:

I vote no. There is no reason to do anything that could possibly benefit either of those programs at this point.
Not picking on you bear2be2 but this is precisely why we pissed away Art's great years. We dodged great competition and played WAY down. We embarrassed ourselves and it hurt us.

Had we played up we would not have lost the Fiesta or Cotton and likely played in better bowls versus superior competition. Even if Art would have given us the Rule Chorizo and headed down I-35 to UT we would have been sitting in a much better position today.

True competitors want to play the best every week. Teeing up those rag knots we played during our best seasons ever held us back. We acted in our major bowls just like the ragamuffins we trounced. Had we been pushed and challenged to win games in non-conference we would not have rolled over in the Fiesta and Cotton.

Of course there was that one little issue with our DC.
"The education of a man is never completed until he dies." - General Robert E. Lee
bear2be2
Thee University said:

bear2be2 said:

I vote no. There is no reason to do anything that could possibly benefit either of those programs at this point.
Not picking on you bear2be2 but this is precisely why we pissed away Art's great years. We dodged great competition and played WAY down. We embarrassed ourselves and it hurt us.

Had we played up we would not have lost the Fiesta or Cotton and likely played in better bowls versus superior competition. Even if Art would have given us the Rule Chorizo and headed down I-35 to UT we would have been sitting in a much better position today.

True competitors want to play the best every week. Teeing up those rag knots we played during our best seasons ever held us back. We acted in our major bowls just like the ragamuffins we trounced. Had we been pushed and challenged to win games in non-conference we would not have rolled over in the Fiesta and Cotton.

I didn't say we shouldn't play tough opponents. I said we shouldn't play Texas. And frankly those two points aren't currently even related statements.
BEAR 45
Thee University said:

bear2be2 said:

Thee, while I appreciate the contributions you and your teammates made to Baylor football history your beatdown of Baylor's schedule under Briles is getting old. Moses had a better view of the promised land than Baylor had prior to Briles. The rules also changed from our time with more Bowl games and the criteria was 6 wins to be Bowl eligible. Baylor was focused on that and not SOS from a national perspective. Since games are scheduled years in advance, there was little wriggle room to modify the schedule when Baylor arrived on the National scene.I would point out that the 1980 schedule was not exactly loaded with games against powerhouses and the conference had few teams that were ranked high that year as well. It does not change the fact that you won the SWC and had some of the best talent in Baylor history, for that era.
Lion82
Baylor should never play Texas or OU in anything unless it is post season mandated.
WNIT in '23
drahthaar
OU might have a different idea but horn is not going to schedule "down" to BU intentionally.
Stefano DiMera
There will plenty of schools to meet that criteria..No..never schedule them OOC. If we meet in the playoffs or a bowl .thats where we kick their ass..
HarryMehre
So what are future Baylor out of conference schedules going to look like?

One option is to play other "left behind schools" in home and away games. Houston, Kansas State, Oklahoma State, SMU, etc.

Do you remember some of the Grant Teaff era non-conference schedules?
In 1978 Baylor played at Georgia, at Kentucky and at Ohio State. Four home games in an 11 game schedule.
1979 Baylor played at Army and at Alabama (Legion Field). Lamar plus 4 SWC home games.

Do you want to play SEC and Big 10 schools one and dones?
historian
If they won't come to waco then we shouldn't go to Tuscaloosa, Clemson, Columbus, or wherever. Play them in a neutral site such as Arlington or Houston.
241Bear
Thee University said:

bear2be2 said:

True competitors want to play the best every week.
Doesn't this contradict your statement that bluebloods have earned the right to schedule a patsy in non-conference?
Thee University
241Bear said:

Thee University said:

bear2be2 said:

True competitors want to play the best every week.
Doesn't this contradict your statement that bluebloods have earned the right to schedule a patsy in non-conference?
Not at all. Blue bloods can schedule whoever they want to play & whenever they want to play them. They earned that right and they know that most likely they are going to go 10, 11 or 12 wins each and every year with patsies or without. Certainly I realize scheduling weaker in today's college football environment is totally opposite the schedules of the 50's, 60's 70' and even 80's.

Up and coming programs don't get the respect of sports fans nationwide unless they under promise and over deliver. Scheduling above their heads and winning gets people interested and impresses people.

One of the primary reasons I chose Baylor over UT was that Baylor, during my 4 years, would play @ Nebraska, Kentucky home & away, @ Georgia, @ Ohio State, @ Alabama (Birmingham), @ West Point & San Jose State. Yes, I was embarrassed we had Lamar & West Texas State in 1980.

.500 lifetime programs dig themselves out of holes much faster by scheduling over their perceived heads. I always played better, harder and faster against the better teams. I had something to prove.
"The education of a man is never completed until he dies." - General Robert E. Lee
historian
Playing against big time opponents can make a team better.

But the blue bloods still should be under the same standard as everyone else. If they play patsies they have EARNED as much criticism as Baylor or anyone else who plays patsies.

Double standards have no place in football or any other sport.
Thee University
historian said:

But the blue bloods still should be under the same standard as everyone else. If they play patsies they have EARNED as much criticism as Baylor or anyone else who plays patsies.

Yet it happens all the time.

Baylor was constantly made fun of nationwide for playing the king of patsyville teams. It hurt our reputation across the nation. Our own conference office had to tell us to start scheduling up!!!! That's embarrassing. At least I was embarrassed.

What is wrong with you guys? It's as if you all are just happy to be on the team. I want teammates that want to beat the best and get so much better. Y'all want a participation trophy.
Aliceinbubbleland
When did Thee move to UK?

Media Bear
BearlyBeloved said:

For the record, I've never dated my ex-wife nor even thought about it.

I don't have an ex-wife.

Married 48 years (as of next week) to the same lovely woman.
Mmmm ... guess that's why you've never thought about it?
Media Bear
Aliceinbubbleland said:

When did Thee move to UK?

LOL

+1
hey32g
Move on!! Stop thinking about OU and TU and start thinking about what's best for Baylor University athletics. If some time in the future it's in Baylor's best interest to play one of them then do it, if not, don't.

Stop acting like the whiney little brother. Move on to bigger and better things.

Frankly, I'm thrilled to be done with that liberal crap hole in Austin.
Thee University
hey32g said:

Move on!! Stop thinking about OU and TU and start thinking about what's best for Baylor University athletics. If some time in the future it's in Baylor's best interest to play one of them then do it, if not, don't.

Stop acting like the whiney little brother. Move on to bigger and better things.

Define bigger and better things given the past few weeks of announcements please
historian
Thee University said:

historian said:

Yet it happens all the time.

Baylor was constantly made fun of nationwide for playing the king of patsyville teams. It hurt our reputation across the nation. Our own conference office had to tell us to start scheduling up!!!! That's embarrassing. At least I was embarrassed.

What is wrong with you guys? It's as if you all are just happy to be on the team. I want teammates that want to beat the best and get so much better. Y'all want a participation trophy.
Yes, it happens all the time. That's no reason to applaud it, support it, or accept it. And you completely misread or misinterpreted my comments. I never said it was good for us to play lots of patsies. I only said that it's no worse for us to do it than it is for Bama or any other team. I have said repeatedly over the years that I want us to schedule better teams and I'm happy that we are playing BYU this year and will play Oregon and Auburn in the future.

God shows no partiality. Why should we?
Robert Wilson
No
thomasjurisd
It's probably a moot point. UT and OU will only be interested in scheduling opponents they can roll in big markets in NFL stadiums. They haven't played Rice in Rice stadium or UH at its field since the SWC disbanded. They demand the game be held in NRG stadium so they can control the money split and fill the stadium with UT fans. I expect the same from them going forward- if they schedule BU, TCU or TT it will be at Jerry World in Dallas, where they control the game and use it as a recruiting tool. To that I'd say no!
hey32g
Thee University said:

hey32g said:

Define bigger and better things given the past few weeks of announcements please

I have no idea , but it's my feeling that everyone needs to let Baylor's administration do their job. This might end up being an improvement over where we've been. And I'll say it again, not having to deal with UT is a blessing!
Thee University
hey32g said:

Thee University said:

hey32g said:

I have no idea , but it's my feeling that everyone needs to let Baylor's administration do their job. This might end up being an improvement over where we've been. And I'll say it again, not having to deal with UT is a blessing!
I agree with you 100%.

Baylor Administration and leadership is savaged here on 365. They are much more qualified to do their jobs than any of us posting here.

Baylor will be fine wherever we do end up.
Ghostrider
hey32g said:

Thee University said:

hey32g said:

How do you measure improvement? In terms of $?
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.