Football
Sponsored by

Should we ever play them again?

4,949 Views | 57 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Ghostrider
BearlyBeloved
How long do you want to ignore this user?
In future regular seasons, should we or should we not play OU or UT in a non-conference game?

Or would that be like dating your ex-wife?
parch
I honestly think it looks worse if we don't. I always thought the shade from A&M after they left looked petty and small-time. I have no problem scheduling either in the future.
BearlyBeloved
For the record, I've never dated my ex-wife nor even thought about it.

I don't have an ex-wife.

Married 48 years (as of next week) to the same lovely woman.

coldhardtruth
Besides emotional reasons, it doesn't make sense to duck Texas or OU.
You best remember me my friend
I am the cold hard truth
-George Jones
CorsicanaBear
Its not likely to be a problem that arises. When the ~36-40 team College Premier League is announced, those teams will not be playing any non Premier League teams.
Stefano DiMera
Yeah i wouldnt schedule them. And Corsicana is correct.

If were good enough to make a bowl or the playoff thats where we kick their ass.
bear2be2
I vote no. There is no reason to do anything that could possibly benefit either of those programs at this point.
bear2be2
coldhardtruth said:

You're not ducking them. You're just declining to give them an in-state showcase that would benefit them far more than us. There's no benefit to it for Baylor.

If you get one of those two teams in a future playoff, great. Beat the **** of out of them. Until then, they can play UTEP or Texas State.
57Bear
bear2be2 said:

coldhardtruth said:

... There's no benefit to it for Baylor...
IF we played one of them, how might it impact proceeds from TV?
Aliceinbubbleland
It won't be our choice. I don't foresee either ewe T or zero U wanting to schedule us. They are running away from us as fast as possible. Unless by some chance we meet in a bowl. Unlikely.

Our best chance of retaining P5 lies with combining whatever teams remain if PAC 12 big ones leave for B1G. A combo of Irate 8 with Zona's, Utah and BYU. That collection of remainders would mean a pay cut of at least 50%

Surf Oso
57Bear said:

bear2be2 said:

coldhardtruth said:

TV money goes to the conference.

Screw both of them:

I don't think either OU or UT will ever want to travel to a stadium that seats < 85K for an out of conference game. Make their arrogant fans travel to both Columbias or Starkville or enjoy the 'hospitality' of wearing orange in Baton Rouge. Sure, the first time is a novelty and fun, but not after that. They will not do a home/home unless you are Ohio State, Michigan or someone like that.

For basketball and the other sports? not unless it's in a tournament

Baseball? tournament only (preseason or post season)

minor sports are harder like cross country and golf but no one really cares. I see BU going to Texas Relays for example.
coldhardtruth
bear2be2 said:

coldhardtruth said:

You're not ducking them. You're just declining to give them an in-state showcase that would benefit them far more than us.

That seems a lot like ducking. Playing them, evening they are OOC, keeps what many Baylor football folks consider to be our truest rival and will bring some financial gains to boot.

While they might decline to play us, we should as every year.
You best remember me my friend
I am the cold hard truth
-George Jones
RegentCoverup
BearlyBeloved said:

For the record, I've never dated my ex-wife nor even thought about it.

Married 48 years (as of next week) to the same lovely woman.

that's how it's done.

I've got a list of ex gfs that would run a few pages, but unless they are right in front of my eyes, I ain't thinking about em. Move on, people.

Oklahoma was not a perennial opponent. until the Big12. What the hell did we have in common with them? Indian Bingo? Arrowheads? Tiger King?

It's time to upgrade the schedule and get rid of the State School riff-raff.

Potential replacements:
  • Air Force
  • Arizona State, Arizona
  • Notre Dame
  • Yet to be named School Near Chicago
  • Georgia Tech
  • Florida State
  • BYU

This site leaks private information to Baylor Regents and Administration
Hotsauce
Never go full-aggy.

Play them.
RegentCoverup
Surf Oso said:

57Bear said:

bear2be2 said:

coldhardtruth said:

TV money goes to the conference.

Screw both of them:

I don't think either OU or UT will ever want to travel to a stadium that seats < 85K for an out of conference game. Make their arrogant fans travel to both Columbias or Starkville or enjoy the 'hospitality' of wearing orange in Baton Rouge. Sure, the first time is a novelty and fun, but not after that. They will not do a home/home unless you are Ohio State, Michigan or someone like that.

For basketball and the other sports? not unless it's in a tournament

Baseball? tournament only (preseason or post season)

minor sports are harder like cross country and golf but no one really cares. I see BU going to Texas Relays for example.
This.

You can play them, but only give them 5k seats.
Proud 1992 Alum
Play them and beat them.
RegentCoverup
I'd play Texas.

But I'd make the terms, location, seating and if I could control it, the weather, painful for them.

The Big12 under their watch, screwed us. Now it's time to play hardball.
parch
TellMeYouLoveMe said:

I'd play Texas.

But I'd make the terms, location, seating and if I could control it, the weather, painful for them.

We only play Texas in ice fog.
BellCountyBear
Hotsauce said:

Never go full-aggy.

Play them.
****. You.
RegentCoverup
parch said:

TellMeYouLoveMe said:

I'd play Texas.

We only play Texas in ice fog.
I'm talking surprise them by moving the game time up while they are still on the highway, LOL!
zebbie
If it's a home and home. But I could see ut wanting something like a 2-1.
Ghostrider
You think UT or OU will be sad if we don't play them? We have beaten OU once in like 50 years. UT won't want to play us in Waco.only in Austin and we probably will because we want the money.
lakersfan34
Ghostrider said:

You think UT or OU will be sad if we don't play them? We have beaten OU once in like 50 years. UT won't want to play us in Waco.only in Austin and we probably will because we want the money.
Baylor will need to schedule more marquee out of conference games for the paydays in this new reality. The athletic department will need the money from these games to survive.
Baylorbears111
BearlyBeloved said:

In future regular seasons, should we or should we not play OU or UT in a non-conference game?

Not playing them sends the wrong message and is really the wrong direction for Baylor to take. Baylor has to start thinking like TCU (circa-2000s), UCF, Boise State, Houston, etc. We are at a disadvantage not playing Texas and wins and regular games against Texas will enhance Baylor's reputation and standing.

Unfortunately, that means neutral site games, 2-for-1 deals, and other levels of disadvantage. It takes a killer mentality and Baylor needs to make itself into a giant-slayer. That means, so long as they are willing to play, you play them. Anytime. Anywhere.

This is different from the Aggies left and I was perfectly content to not ever schedule them in anything again. There was no need to play the Aggies, as Baylor was on the same structural level as the Aggies. The Aggies left and Baylor still had Texas and others to square-off against. Now, the board has been/is being reset. Baylor could find itself in the AAC while everyone else finds a new conference home. I don't think that is likely, but it could happen. In that event, Baylor needs to get Texas, Texas A&M, and Texas Tech on the non-conference as often as possible.
bearhouse
Baylorbears111 said:

BearlyBeloved said:

Not playing them sends the wrong message and is really the wrong direction for Baylor to take. Baylor has to start thinking like TCU (circa-2000s), UCF, Boise State, Houston, etc. We are at a disadvantage not playing Texas and wins and regular games against Texas will enhance Baylor's reputation and standing.

Unfortunately, that means neutral site games, 2-for-1 deals, and other levels of disadvantage. It takes a killer mentality and Baylor needs to make itself into a giant-slayer. That means, so long as they are willing to play, you play them. Anytime. Anywhere.

This is different from the Aggies left and I was perfectly content to not ever schedule them in anything again. There was no need to play the Aggies, as Baylor was on the same structural level as the Aggies. The Aggies left and Baylor still had Texas and others to square-off against. Now, the board has been/is being reset. Baylor could find itself in the AAC while everyone else finds a new conference home. I don't think that is likely, but it could happen. In that event, Baylor needs to get Texas, Texas A&M, and Texas Tech on the non-conference as often as possible.
"Texas Tech on the non-conference as often as possible." ?
bear2be2
coldhardtruth said:

bear2be2 said:

coldhardtruth said:

You're not ducking them. You're just declining to give them an in-state showcase that would benefit them far more than us.

That seems a lot like ducking. Playing them, evening they are OOC, keeps what many Baylor football folks consider to be our truest rival and will bring some financial gains to boot.

While they might decline to play us, we should as every year.
Considering a team that cares nothing about you and casually sunk your program without a second thought your truest rival is your first problem.

Texas is a team we used a share a conference with. Nothing more.
blackie
Baylorbears111 said:

BearlyBeloved said:

We can play LSU or Auburn to "kill" someone and get recognition. We don't have to play Texas. My vote is to never see those jerks in McLane ever again once they are out of the Big XII schedule. Why do we turn over for these people that have no concern for our welfare whatsoever.
NewBear
BearlyBeloved said:

No. We will see them in the playoffs.....and beat them there.

Next question......
blackie
lakersfan34 said:

Ghostrider said:

Baylor will need to schedule more marquee out of conference games for the paydays in this new reality. The athletic department will need the money from these games to survive.
That may be, but we have no idea where things will stand in the future. Make such an assessment at that time.
bear2be2
Baylorbears111 said:

BearlyBeloved said:

**** that. There are other programs you could play for the same benefit. Getting treated like a ***** by Texas when you're in their conference is one thing. Continuing to do it voluntarily after is another entirely.
Guy Noir
Never say never.
Reverend
No. A thousand times NO!!!

Some things are simply not worth it because of of principle and self respect.
Feel The Floyd
They are running from us. We are not scared. I don't think they would schedule us. I say we make the offers and when they turns us down, the story we tell is that they are scared. I really don't care if we don't play Oklahoma. But I think it would be a shame if Texas doesn't play us. I think it is a shame they haven't played A&M. I think it is a shame we don't play A&M. But history and proximity don't matter much anymore.
BEAR 45

What the hell are you guys talking about ?? How many time have we played A&M, Arkansas, Missouri, Colorado,Nebraska since they bolted ????
historian
Ghostrider said:

Baylor beat OU in 2011 (RGIII's Heismann moment), 2013, & 2014 in Norman. That's 3 times in one decade, thanks to Art Briles.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.