Football
Sponsored by

Ohio State site-Bold Predictions: Ohio State will move to the SEC

2,361 Views | 17 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by KAK
gobears20
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Staff
Stranger
gobears20 said:

Crazier things have happened.
I'm a Bearbacker
ScottS
I think the idea is to get the biggest (market) teams in 1 conference so they get all the TV $$$.
CorsicanaBear
Quote:

I think the idea is to get the biggest (market) teams in 1 conference so they get all the TV $$$.
But it won't be just another conference in the NCAA, although it may start that way. Ultimately they want to form a separate league that is not under the jurisdiction of the NCAA (at least for football). The NCAA realizes that and that's why they've called the "constitutional convention" in an attempt to find a way to stay relevant in the biggest money portion of college sports.
PartyBear
I don't think they will join the SEC per se. I think that this premier league idea will end up being about 32 or so teams carved out of the expanded currently named SEC and BIG once both have taken who they want (or who ESPN tells them to take more like it) from the PAC and ACC. Then that league will be two new conferences and organized similar to the two conferences of the NFL. It is possible in organizing that league that Ohio St could be in the same 16 or so team conference as say Bama just like the Dolphins are in the same conference (AFC) as the Raiders in the NFL etc.
FLBear5630
CorsicanaBear said:

Quote:

But it won't be just another conference in the NCAA, although it may start that way. Ultimately they want to form a separate league that is not under the jurisdiction of the NCAA (at least for football). The NCAA realizes that and that's why they've called the "constitutional convention" in an attempt to find a way to stay relevant in the biggest money portion of college sports.
1 - I agree. The NCAA is history for these schools. The academic based schools will go AAU. Why bind themselves with the silly academic,recruiting and drug testing.

2 - Actually, does a player need to be a student? Isn't that a bit restrictive with the useless math courses and humanities? Without classes, they can focus on training. So, how about they live in their City for 1 month before training starts.

3 - How about a Premier League relegation style. So, the bottom 4 go to the minors and don't get the big money. So, now we have big money TV games at the top and bottom as teams fight to not be relegated to the ranks of us have nots. We all know the remaining schools will jump to get a shot to be in, so they will go along with it. (See Texas Tech and Ok State).

Actually, I can see 1 and 3 happening. #3 might not be the worst method, at least you have a shot to play your way in... Now, it is purely metrics Baylor can't control.
drahthaar
ScottS said:

This. Not a new concept, people. The Chosen Elite recognized this back when Woody, Bo, Darrell and John were riding the crest in the late 60's. They're going to one elite league and leave the rest of the institutions to the NCAA and "amateur athletics", aided, abetted and empowered by the sports media. The NIL was the midge that broke the camel's back and the discussions about "leaving leagues" paralleled the NIL lobbying.
bear2be2
RMF5630 said:

CorsicanaBear said:

Quote:

1 - I agree. The NCAA is history for these schools. The academic based schools will go AAU. Why bind themselves with the silly academic,recruiting and drug testing.

2 - Actually, does a player need to be a student? Isn't that a bit restrictive with the useless math courses and humanities? Without classes, they can focus on training. So, how about they live in their City for 1 month before training starts.

3 - How about a Premier League relegation style. So, the bottom 4 go to the minors and don't get the big money. So, now we have big money TV games at the top and bottom as teams fight to not be relegated to the ranks of us have nots. We all know the remaining schools will jump to get a shot to be in, so they will go along with it. (See Texas Tech and Ok State).

Actually, I can see 1 and 3 happening. #3 might not be the worst method, at least you have a shot to play your way in... Now, it is purely metrics Baylor can't control.

I'm sorry, but I'm just not interested in any of this. It removes all of the reasons I enjoy/watch college athletics. As soon as the top tier of college football becomes another, ****tier pro league, I'm done.

My college football watching will be strictly limited to Baylor and those with which it competes.
FLBear5630
bear2be2 said:

RMF5630 said:

CorsicanaBear said:

Quote:

I'm sorry, but I'm just not interested in any of this. It removes all of the reasons I enjoy/watch college athletics. As soon as the top tier of college football becomes another, ****tier pro league, I'm done.

My college football watching will be strictly limited to Baylor and those with which it competes.
I agree with you. I miss the old Bowl System and that a Baylor could go to the Cotton Bowl if the stars aligned. I loved when Miami knocked off Nebraska and Georgia Tech got a share of the NC. The current environment does not seem to favor that view. The younger generation does not seem to favor that view. Funny, I am no longer in the marketing "sweet spot" where they care what I think. Within 5 years of hitting that 50 year old milestone, everything my generation valued seems to be undone. I don't think they care what the over 60 and Baylor's of the world like or care about...
PartyBear
RMF5630 said:

bear2be2 said:

RMF5630 said:

CorsicanaBear said:

Quote:

I agree with you. I miss the old Bowl System and that a Baylor could go to the Cotton Bowl if the stars aligned. I loved when Miami knocked off Nebraska and Georgia Tech got a share of the NC. The current environment does not seem to favor that view. The younger generation does not seem to favor that view. Funny, I am no longer in the marketing "sweet spot" where they care what I think. Within 5 years of hitting that 50 year old milestone, everything my generation valued seems to be undone. I don't think they care what the over 60 and Baylor's of the world like or care about...

I think the Baylor's care about being big time. I don't think Baylor wants to be back to being small time and not heard of much. That isn't good for the academic side of Baylor either.
FLBear5630
PartyBear said:

RMF5630 said:

bear2be2 said:

RMF5630 said:

CorsicanaBear said:

Quote:

I think the Baylor's care about being big time. I don't think Baylor wants to be back to being small time and not heard of much. That isn't good for the academic side of Baylor either.

I agree, not sure there is much we can do.

- Strengthen academics, more research. Did we reconcile with Med School, that would help. Get AAU certified
- Make a more national push to Baptists, like Notre Dame?
- Keep investment in facilities up.
- Keep winning
- I would approach other networks, someone has to compete with ESPN/ABC and not owned by Disney. Fox? CBS? NBC? Gotta bring another Gorilla into the fight...

Gotta show we bring money, that is the only thing that moves the needle. Baylor has already showed that if given the same resources, they will invest and compete. As for scandal, every school making the jump from regional to national had to take sketchy players and had scandals. More important to show through it and in the past.
That's all I got.
PartyBear
Well actually the current G5's or at least the top ones aren't all that small time. So I think we will be fine. And if it turns out there are about 25-32 other P5s who join our predicament over the next 4 years or so,, there will be something set up where we are all making decent money. Im not saying like current P5s are but not a cut all the way down to what current G5's currently make either. At least I'm hopeful that is a result if the earthquake I'm thinking is going to happen over the next 4 years occurs.
bear2be2
PartyBear said:

Well actually the current G5's or at least the top ones aren't all that small time. So I think we will be fine. And if it turns out there are about 25-32 other P5s in our predicament, there will be something set up where we are all making decent money. Im not saying like current P5s are but not a cut all the way down to what current G5's currently make either. At least I'm hopeful that is a result if the earthquake I'm thinking is going to happen over the next 4 years occurs.
I think there will still be conferences that are better and more marketable after "the earthquake" you describe. I just think it will be in those league's interests to avoid trying to mimic those above them and create untenable super conferences on lesser budgets.

I think the Big 12, PAC-12 and ACC should all still exist once the "Premier League" picks off their members. They should just expand back to 12 or 14 schools that make sense geographically and use their remaining collective strength to bargain a common TV deal.

Leagues such as these ...

BIG 12 -- Baylor, Cincinnati, Houston, Iowa State, Kansas, Kansas State, Memphis, Oklahoma State, TCU, Texas Tech, UCF and West Virginia.

PAC-12 -- Arizona, Arizona State, Boise State, BYU, Cal (or Oregon), Colorado, Colorado State, Oregon State, San Diego State, Stanford (or Washington), Utah and Washington State

ACC -- Boston College, Duke, Georgia Tech, Louisville, Miami, North Carolina, North Carolina State, Pittsburgh, Syracuse, Virginia, Virginia Tech and Wake Forest

... are still competitive IMO and they would have enough interesting matchups to remain viable from a TV standpoint. Negotiate scheduling alliances for nonconference games and postseason conference championship scenarios and you should be able to make more than what the American would offer.
PartyBear
You seem to assume everyone in the BiG and SEC are invited to the premier league. I don't think they are. This league will be made of two new super conferences like AFC and NFC for comparison. I would think. The premier league won't be just the expanded SEC and BiG. It will be carved from those conferences in their expanded forms. So there would be some current BiG and SEC members in our predicament as well to add Into these conferences post earthquake I think if it comes.

But I do like your hypothetical conferences up there. I think those are good conferences and are probably somewhere in between currently labeled G5 and currently labeled P5. If so the pay cut from the abolition of the P5 conferences won't be as bad as we think.
57Bear
Will there be two groups for basketball?
bear2be2
PartyBear said:

You seem to assume everyone in the BiG and SEC are invited to the premier league. I don't think they are. This league will be made of two new super conferences like AFC and NFC for comparison. I would think. The premier league won't be just the expanded SEC and BiG. It will be carved from those conferences in their expanded forms. So there would be some current BiG and SEC members in our predicament as well to add Into these conferences post earthquake I think if it comes.

But I do like your hypothetical conferences up there. I think those are good conferences and are probably somewhere in between currently labeled G5 and currently labeled P5. If so the pay cut from the abolition of the P5 conferences won't be as bad as we think.
There will likely be Big Ten/SEC casualties. Programs like Vanderbilt and Illinois come immediately to mind. But they'll eventually find their way into conferences that make sense geographically/culturally as well IMO.
CorsicanaBear
Basketball may still be handled through the NCAA. That would not surprise me. There are teams that do not now compete in NCAA FBS that could easily find the NIL money to keep their basketball teams at the top level.
Grizz Air
At what point does Vandy get dropped?

I'm guessing soon.
KAK
If there is a Premier League made up of the big boys, I would think after a couple of years either this league is big time and more enjoyed than the NFL or the other way around. I am no longer an NFL fan (really haven't been for a long time) but why would I want to watch college professionals play over the real professionals? Seems they would be competing for some of the same viewers and $$$.

Let everyone else play in a true amateur sport could be refreshing and capture a pretty good market share. It would me. I would not watch a single game of the premier league.

IMO...
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.