Football
Sponsored by

"Texas will never chant SEC"

2,835 Views | 22 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by JXL
Born_A_Bear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Chron: Hey SEC, thanks for the invite, but just know we'll never chant S-E-C.
https://www.chron.com/sports/college/article/Texas-Longhorns-fans-SEC-chant-arrogance-Oklahoma-16352238.php

SPORTS//COLLEGE
Hey SEC, thanks for the invite, but just know we'll never chant S-E-C
Matt Young
Updated: July 30, 2021 2:05 p.m.

Well, hey there, SEC.

After getting your members in line - or at least one member in particular - you've unanimously welcomed the University of Texas and the University of Oklahoma to join the greatest college football conference in the world.

I can speak for Longhorns and Sooners fans when I say that we're excited for the challenge, and obviously, we never tried to say the SEC's brand of football was overrated. Honestly, does that even sound like us?

JOHNNY FOOTBALL: Time for Aggies, Horns to 'sack up and go play the game'

I'm also here to warn you: All the bad stuff the remnants of the Big 12 have tried to tell you about Texas is true. The arrogance flows through the veins as smoothly as Walter Cronkite's dulcet tones every time that burnt orange commercial airs: "We're Texas. What starts here changes the world."

But, hey there, fella - you might ask - isn't your football team kind of in the dumps?

We're Texas.

You'll find, that's the non-answer to your every inquiry.

Why does the SEC need the Longhorns?

We're Texas.

Why do you fire your coach every three years?

We're Texas.

Why is Whataburger so tasty and their buildings so orange?

We're Texas.

Got it? Good.

Because of that, you should also know: We'll never fill the stadium with that "S-E-C!" chant. Never, ever, ever.

We might make an exception on Oct 9 when the Longhorns and Sooners convene at the Cotton Bowl, because there's not much else those 90,000 fans are going to agree on except that corny dogs and a cold beer make for a delicious breakfast. Sadly, that doesn't fit neatly into a chant.

We also swear to never call into The Paul Finebaum Show, or maybe we will, but we won't do it to brag about poisoning another school's storied oak trees. We won't bow at the altar of Clay Travis. And, we won't ever root for the rest of y'all just because all our jerseys are emblazoned with the same conference patch.

It's just not in us. Ask Texas Tech, Baylor and TCU. It's a lot of work looking out for No. 1, and that just doesn't leave much time to look out for anyone else.

You know what Texas fans do when Oklahoma makes the College Football Playoff? They root for the Sooners to get embarrassed. They usually oblige, and there is great joy to be had in that. You know what Texas did when Texas Tech's basketball team made it to their first Final Four? Rooted for Virginia, then hired away the Red Raiders' coach as quickly as possible.

That kind of narcissistic attitude isn't easily cured by a conference switch or Texas-sized barrels of extra cash.

Take solace in that, Alabama. By adding Texas, you're not adding another team that's going to pound its chest about your victories. You're better than everybody and you'll probably run off with several more national titles. When you do, you won't have to worry about anyone in Texas who isn't wearing maroon trying to take credit for those wins.

The SEC is really good. Texas football is more likely to go 8-5 more years than it will go 11-2. It's fine. One of those wins will be a big one and everyone will be told "We're back." And, then Texas will lose a couple in a row and you'll obnoxiously ask, "So, is Texas back or nah?," and then Texas will fire the coach and say "We're back" again.

It's a never-ending cycle you should prepare yourself for now. At least you won't have to pretend to root for Texas, because it won't be rooting for you.

Written By
Matt Young
Reach Matt on
Matt Young has been a sports web editor/writer at Chron since 2015. He's proudly from Alief and occasionally sits alone in his four-cornered room staring at candles. Reach him at matt.young@chron.com.

PartyBear
I figured they wouldn't. They are actually an odd match for the current SEC as it exists right now.
blackie
What's the over/under minutes for them starting that crap chant once they are inside McLane this year. My bet is it would be not very long. But how do Baylor fans respond.....especially if we are not winning the game?
Hotsauce
"Texas will never beat Nick Saban."

"Texas will never win the SEC West in this decade."

"Texas will never have any meaningful say in conference affairs again."

"Texas will never be fully accepted into the SEC cult(ure)."

"Texas will never be treated as superior to A&M like they were in the B12".

Fun little fill-in-the-blank exercise...
canoso
blackie said:

What's the over/under minutes for them starting that crap chant once they are inside McLane this year. My bet is it would be not very long. But how do Baylor fans respond.....especially if we are not winning the game?
We don't. Somebody needs to be mature. Why not us?
JumboShrimper
I can guarantee you if we are winning there will be some sarcastic sec chants.
historian
There was this:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.dallasnews.com/sports/texas-longhorns/2019/01/02/texas-fans-chant-sec-sec-and-over-rated-during-sugar-bowl-win-over-georgia/%3foutputType=amp
bear2be2
I worked with the author of this piece, and he's generally a good dude, but this column pretty well highlights why I find Texas and its fans intolerable.

They acknowledge their extreme arrogance/hubris and the impact it has on their performance but do literally nothing to temper it. They are content to make that "We're Texas" arrogance and the earning power/privilege they were basically born their identity.

They've become the Kardashians or Hilton sisters of universities and deserve just as much (little) respect.
historian
At least the Kardashians had a few moments of intelligence & respectability. It was surprising when I saw the reports, but it happened. I'm not sure I can say the same about UT.
DanaDane
Texas' time in the SEC will be short-lived. I have no doubt Texas will be competing in the SEC a year from now, but by 2025 they and another 30-40 schools will be competing in a pay-for-play super conference that may still be named the SEC, but I doubt it. Most likely the name will be something else. So, I don't think they'll have long to chant S-E-C even if they wanted to.

If they want to? Who cares. It's just sports, which are for fun and entertainment. Unless you're one of the people being paid, it's just not that critical to life. You're just watching someone else.
bear2be2
DanaDane said:

Texas' time in the SEC will be short-lived. I have no doubt Texas will be competing in the SEC a year from now, but by 2025 they and another 30-40 schools will be competing in a pay-for-play super conference that may still be named the SEC, but I doubt it. Most likely the name will be something else. So, I don't think they'll have long to chant S-E-C even if they wanted to.

If they want to? Who cares. It's just sports, which are for fun and entertainment. Unless you're one of the people being paid, it's just not that critical to life. You're just watching someone else.
The only problem with the 30-40 school super conference theory, which I think is the goal for many, is finding 30-40 schools that actually fit the criteria being talked about. The truth is there are probably less than 25 programs nationwide that can stand alone as having the history and marketing reach to be desirable in this model. The rest have no more to offer than an Oklahoma State, which we've already established isn't what these leagues are looking for.

Going down the list of programs that would "belong" on this type of league, I can think of ...

Alabama
Auburn
Clemson
Florida
Florida State
Georgia
Iowa
LSU
Michigan
Michigan State
Nebraska (based solely on tradition)
Notre Dame
Ohio State
Oklahoma
Oregon
Penn State
Stanford
Tennessee (based solely on tradition)
Texas
Texas A&M
UCLA
USC
Washington
Wisconsin

That's 24 schools. Who's not on this list that would be anything more than filler in this type of arrangement? Do we throw the SEC and Big Ten's filler in just because those are the leagues with the most bluebloods? That doesn't change the fact that those programs are filler.
DanaDane
You are correct about the legitimacy of about 20-24 schools who truly have the resources to pull it off, but as with any endeavor there will be 6-10 schools whose thoughts of themselves are much larger than their budget, and they'll quickly find they can't survive in that kind of environment. So, it will probably start with 32.

Doesn't matter to me as, either way, I'm not interested in watching minor league football. I haven't watched any of the off beat quasi NFL parody leagues they've created over the years and I won't be interested in watching this. I'll find more enjoyment watching BYU vs. Utah in a true college rivalry game than watching semi-pro LSU play semi-pro Washington.
Media Bear
Texas wasting no time in "being Texas" again not 5 seconds into S-E-C (lol). Once again demonstrating its role as a metastatic cancer on college athletics and all who love them.

Like another poster said, UT ruins everything it touches. Wouldn't surprise me at all if, several years down the line, they polarize the SEC as well and end up trying to implode it from within as well.

Bama, Auburn, Georgia, Florida, LSU, Tennessee ... Kentucky, Vandy, SCAR, Mud Aggy and Hotty Toddy as well. Hold onto yer butts cuz the Horns are gonna try to go backdoor dry on you every chance they get (Aggy, OU, Arky and Mizzou already know this all too well).

UT-Austin and its leadership are nothing less than plural-perfect sons-of-bi+c#he$, they always have been, they in fact relish this role and desperately need to be taken down a rung or four ... Them and ESPN both ...
PartyBear
bear2be2 said:

DanaDane said:

The only problem with the 30-40 school super conference theory, which I think is the goal for many, is finding 30-40 schools that actually fit the criteria being talked about. The truth is there are probably less than 25 programs nationwide that can stand alone as having the history and marketing reach to be desirable in this model. The rest have no more to offer than an Oklahoma State, which we've already established isn't what these leagues are looking for.

Going down the list of programs that would "belong" on this type of league, I can think of ...

Alabama
Auburn
Clemson
Florida
Florida State
Georgia
Iowa
LSU
Michigan
Michigan State
Notre Dame
Ohio State
Oklahoma
Oregon
Penn State
Stanford
Texas
Texas A&M
UCLA
USC
Washington
Wisconsin

That's 24 schools. Who's not on this list that would be anything more than filler in this type of arrangement? Do we throw the SEC and Big Ten's filler in just because those are the leagues with the most bluebloods? That doesn't change the fact that those programs are filler.

Well I'm not saying they belong but if the BiG is trying to get Colorado as reportedly they are that means the powers that be (Espn) I guess say they belong. Everyone being raided away from their current P5 is going to be in it. That is why they are being raided away. Likewise Oregon looks to be in but the funny thing is that they were nothing until about 20 years ago.
blackie
bear2be2 said:

DanaDane said:

Alabama
Auburn
Clemson
Florida
Florida State
Georgia
Iowa
LSU
Michigan
Michigan State
Notre Dame
Ohio State
Oklahoma
Oregon
Penn State
Stanford
Texas
Texas A&M
UCLA
USC
Washington
Wisconsin

Actually, if those programs stay in the league because of their traditional position, they won't be "filler", they will be "fodder". Highly paid fodder, but none-the-less fodder.
CorsicanaBear
The key will be who can generate the NIL money. That's what will make a team competitive or not, both on the field (a minor consideration) and in the TV ratings (the major consideration).

This is just like the NFL and STAR POWER will draw a the eyeballs on TV and the money.
Polo Bear
blackie said:

"Write that check"
historian
bear2be2 said:

DanaDane said:

Alabama
Auburn
Clemson
Florida
Florida State
Georgia
Iowa
LSU
Michigan
Michigan State
Notre Dame
Ohio State
Oklahoma
Oregon
Penn State
Stanford
Texas
Texas A&M
UCLA
USC
Washington
Wisconsin

Excellent point. And one could make arguments against at least half of the teams on this list. If we are going to be honest about the football powers in the country now, there are only a handful: Bama, Clemson, Georgia, maybe LSU, Ohio State, & maybe ND. All the others have more tradition than anything else. How many have made it to the playoffs? Not many. Of those who did, how many got past the semis (sorry, Sooners). Bama, Clemson, Oregon, Georgia, Ohio State, & LSU. Only the first two played for the title multiple times. It's difficult to imagine many of the others making it to a 4 team playoff and surviving the first round.
PartyBear
Perhaps the major paradigm shift I think is coming (note I don't want it to come just trying to be realistic about it) isn't coming. Maybe it really was a matter of ESPN really wanting Texas and OU in the SEC and that was it. If so the BiG, ACC, and PAC will respond by growing which I think would be good for most if not all of the remaining 8. If the major paradigm shift occurs with this college version of the NFL being created, the 32 or so school remnant will also be fairly well taken care of. I think Baylor's chances of being reasonably fine are good with either scenario.
ScottS
Because of the $, UT will not only chant SEC, they will bow down and kiss the SEC's backside.
PartyBear
Another thing to be considered, if ND is given special treatment and is included in a premier league and somehow doing so without having to actually join it and remain independent,. the folks in Austin are going to demand their own special TV contract and not join it but be considered in it as well. ND needs to be told you are either in or you are with the 32 or so others in our consolation prize deals.
thomasjurisd
Oregon has Nike to thank 100% for their success.
FLBear5630
Born_A_Bear said:

https://www.chron.com/sports/college/article/Texas-Longhorns-fans-SEC-chant-arrogance-Oklahoma-16352238.php

SPORTS//COLLEGE
Matt Young

Well, hey there, SEC.

After getting your members in line - or at least one member in particular - you've unanimously welcomed the University of Texas and the University of Oklahoma to join the greatest college football conference in the world.

I can speak for Longhorns and Sooners fans when I say that we're excited for the challenge, and obviously, we never tried to say the SEC's brand of football was overrated. Honestly, does that even sound like us?

I'm also here to warn you: All the bad stuff the remnants of the Big 12 have tried to tell you about Texas is true. The arrogance flows through the veins as smoothly as Walter Cronkite's dulcet tones every time that burnt orange commercial airs: "We're Texas. What starts here changes the world."

But, hey there, fella - you might ask - isn't your football team kind of in the dumps?

We're Texas.

We're Texas.

We're Texas.

We're Texas.

Got it? Good.

Because of that, you should also know: We'll never fill the stadium with that "S-E-C!" chant. Never, ever, ever.

We might make an exception on Oct 9 when the Longhorns and Sooners convene at the Cotton Bowl, because there's not much else those 90,000 fans are going to agree on except that corny dogs and a cold beer make for a delicious breakfast. Sadly, that doesn't fit neatly into a chant.

We also swear to never call into The Paul Finebaum Show, or maybe we will, but we won't do it to brag about poisoning another school's storied oak trees. We won't bow at the altar of Clay Travis. And, we won't ever root for the rest of y'all just because all our jerseys are emblazoned with the same conference patch.

It's just not in us. Ask Texas Tech, Baylor and TCU. It's a lot of work looking out for No. 1, and that just doesn't leave much time to look out for anyone else.

You know what Texas fans do when Oklahoma makes the College Football Playoff? They root for the Sooners to get embarrassed. They usually oblige, and there is great joy to be had in that. You know what Texas did when Texas Tech's basketball team made it to their first Final Four? Rooted for Virginia, then hired away the Red Raiders' coach as quickly as possible.

That kind of narcissistic attitude isn't easily cured by a conference switch or Texas-sized barrels of extra cash.

Take solace in that, Alabama. By adding Texas, you're not adding another team that's going to pound its chest about your victories. You're better than everybody and you'll probably run off with several more national titles. When you do, you won't have to worry about anyone in Texas who isn't wearing maroon trying to take credit for those wins.

The SEC is really good. Texas football is more likely to go 8-5 more years than it will go 11-2. It's fine. One of those wins will be a big one and everyone will be told "We're back." And, then Texas will lose a couple in a row and you'll obnoxiously ask, "So, is Texas back or nah?," and then Texas will fire the coach and say "We're back" again.

It's a never-ending cycle you should prepare yourself for now. At least you won't have to pretend to root for Texas, because it won't be rooting for you.

Written By
Matt Young
Reach Matt on
Matt Young has been a sports web editor/writer at Chron since 2015. He's proudly from Alief and occasionally sits alone in his four-cornered room staring at candles. Reach him at matt.young@chron.com.

Sure they will. UT has shown they will do anything for money, ask Baylor, TT, and TCU. If the SEC tells them not to play the Eyes of Texas and not run out Bevo they will. Heck, I bet they would move games out of TX to accommodate Coach "Nick". They are already helping his recruiting. They may negotiate a price, but the fact is that UT will sell anything is established, just a question of price.
JXL
Born_A_Bear said:

SPORTS//COLLEGE
Matt Young

Well, hey there, SEC.

We're Texas.

We're Texas.

We're Texas.

We're Texas.

Got it? Good.

Written By
Matt Young
Reach Matt on

8-5? I'm looking forward to them going 3-9.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.