Football
Sponsored by

Pac-12 commissioner George Kliavkoff, Oregon Ducks AD Rob Mullens tackle expansion ta

1,283 Views | 0 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by PartyBear
gobears20
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Staff

Quote:

The Pac-12 Networks continues to struggle with distribution with less than 15 million subscribers. Oregon's victory over Florida State in the first-ever College Football Playoff game remains the conference's lone CFP victory.

"They're all getting pressure, and I understand it," Big 12 commissioner Bob Bowlsby told the Athletic of the scramble the remaining eight schools are facing without the conference's biggest brands. "Their boosters and donors and board members are concerned, and I understand the concern. On the other hand, these are not things that happen very rapidly. The OU-Texas transition hasn't happened quickly and our decisions in the wake of it are not going to happen quickly, either.
"But I feel like if the eight schools hang together, we will have good options going forward."
Does the Pac-12 really have any interest in adding Kansas, a basketball school, or Lone Star State leftovers Baylor, TCU and Texas Tech or Fiesta Bowl champion Iowa State?
"We do not think expansion is required to continue to compete and thrive," Kliavkoff said. "That said, the fallout from Texas and Oklahoma gives us an opportunity to once again consider expansion. We have already had significant inbound interest from many schools. We will work with our presidents and chancellors to evaluate these opportunities."

That ranked fourth among the Power 5 conferences behind the Big Ten ($54.3 million), SEC ($45.5 million) and Big 12 ($38 million). The ACC paid out $33 million per school.

The remaining Big 12 schools are facing more of a Group of Five-level financial reality.
And the SEC and Big Ten are in a position to pull further away from the ACC and Pac-12.
"We need to close that financial gap," Mullens said. "The exposure gap, the financial gap, needs to be closed to give all 12 of our institutions the chance to continue to excel in the changing landscape."
PartyBear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I thought Oregon was in the group of the PAC that were reportedly talking g to the BiG.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.