Football
Sponsored by

Baylor AD Mack Rhoades comments on Texas

8,440 Views | 65 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by historian
gobears20
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Staff

&ct=g
gobears20
Staff
gobears20
Staff
BylrFan
yep I don't see baylor ever playing Texas again after Mack's comments
Ewalker80
Mack expressed serious concerns they can't borrow money for the basketball stadium without guaranteed P5 status. Also said he thought the coaches would leave. Dang that was depressing to hear. I'm not sure if he was saying it for persuasive value because it's not clear to me what the legislature is going to do to help anything at this point.

When questioned later on basketball funding he said that the lenders haven't contacted him yet, so he was really just speculating, but why so glum?
JustWinBears
Ewalker80 said:

Mack expressed serious concerns they can't borrow money for the basketball stadium without guaranteed P5 status. Also said he thought the coaches would leave. Dang that was depressing to hear. I'm not sure if he was saying it for persuasive value because it's not clear to me what the legislature is going to do to help anything at this point.

When questioned later on basketball funding he said that the lenders haven't contacted him yet, so he was really just speculating, but why so glum?

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.
gobears20
Staff
Aberzombie1892
Ewalker80 said:

It's glum because he's been through the process and he's right. Many lenders will likely want to wait and see what the next media deal looks like before lending significant amounts of money to the remaining Big 12 teams.
Ewalker80
Aberzombie1892 said:

Ewalker80 said:

It's glum because he's been through the process and he's right. Many lenders will likely want to wait and see what the next media deal looks like before lending significant amounts of money to the remaining Big 12 teams.
Ya I could tell the concern was very real. I guess I just questioned how it helps anything to express it publicly. Shouldn't he be the chief cheerleader arguing that we can get through this somehow and still be viable? What's the point of complaining to those powerless mostly incompetent board members that mostly (with some exceptions) don't have the slightest concern whether Baylor falls off the face of the earth?
BearBreath
His purpose today was to demonstrate the damage UT has done in our state, so it wasn't going to be full of assurances. He's also speaking to donors (as always), who will be asked to make up at least some of the losses we incur when the GOR runs out.
RedBear05
Yeah, none of this is encouraging. Why is our leadership wasting time publicly whining to people that have no power over the situation. Comes across as very weak, even if they manage to get a quality dig in at UT. It doesn't really matter because everyone (even their own fans) knows its true. Would much rather they focus their time on promoting the University to the remaining power 4.
Aliceinbubbleland
Did you overlook the part that said TCU and Tech participated too? It was just a chance to give a black eye to EweT but no one cared.

I'm surprised the Land Thieves weren't represented too. They actually think they are Texans.
Aliceinbubbleland
gobears20 said:

So much for the debate about on campus or not lol
PartyBear
Build the arena then the Howdy Hut.
blackie
RedBear05 said:

Yeah, none of this is encouraging. Why is our leadership wasting time publicly whining to people that have no power over the situation. Comes across as very weak, even if they manage to get a quality dig in at UT. It doesn't really matter because everyone (even their own fans) knows its true. Would much rather they focus their time on promoting the University to the remaining power 4.
They were asked to speak to the committee. They did not solicit this. And as has been stated, TCU and Tech were also asked to be there. He is stating facts.
contrario
The point of the meeting was to discuss how UT leaving has impacted the remaining Texas schools. It would be pointless to go in there and say "yeah, we are good." There wouldn't be a point of having the meeting if that was the strong arm approach we were going to take.
Bexar Pitts
PartyBear said:

Build the arena then the Howdy Hut.
Let's first make sure we can finish paying for McLane with no financial hiccups before we take on more large debt obligations...Guess I should have also said that once we are cleared for financial takeoff, I too think the new arena should come first.
BUGWBBear
Aliceinbubbleland said:

gobears20 said:

So much for the debate about on campus or not lol

Running off Kim was all in vain.
Grizz Air
That first quote was fire tho!
RedBear05
blackie said:

RedBear05 said:

They were asked to speak to the committee. They did not solicit this. And as has been stated, TCU and Tech were also asked to be there. He is stating facts.

Doesn't really matter who participated and who was invited. They're wasting time and looking bad while doing it.
blackie
RedBear05 said:

blackie said:

RedBear05 said:

Doesn't really matter who participated and who was invited. They're wasting time and looking bad while doing it.
I don't think stiffing the legislature by telling them you won't appear and then lying to them if you do is the best move you can make. I know you have seen this from D.C. for the last how many years, but you never know when they actually can help with future issues. No reason to put yourself on their bad side, and no reason not to tell things as they are. Nothing that was said was not already known or felt by anyone having a financial clue.
BellCountyBear
Ewalker80 said:

Aberzombie1892 said:

Ewalker80 said:

Ya I could tell the concern was very real. I guess I just questioned how it helps anything to express it publicly. Shouldn't he be the chief cheerleader arguing that we can get through this somehow and still be viable? What's the point of complaining to those powerless mostly incompetent board members that mostly (with some exceptions) don't have the slightest concern whether Baylor falls off the face of the earth?
I would prefer he "keep it real" instead of resorting to coach/cheerleader-speak.
Robert Wilson
gobears20 said:

UT has just never given him the opportunity to root for them in the CFP or the Final 4 (TJ Ford is what, 40 years old, now?)
Bear8084
Robert Wilson said:

gobears20 said:

UT has just never given him the opportunity to root for them in the CFP or the Final 4 (TJ Ford is what, 40 years old, now?)

I think it was meant to be a backhanded comment as such.
thomasjurisd
Couldn't disagree more. Everyone in that hearing with the exception of the UT President .. and Whitmire (which is beside the point) came off very well.
NeuroticBear
RedBear05 said:

Would much rather they focus their time on promoting the University to the remaining power 4.
We will never be "promoted" to Power 4 status.

The sooner people accept this, the sooner we can focus on our next best alternative and how we can make the best of an unfortunate (but inevitable) situation.
boognish_bear
TXBEAR_bf
That is gold, called it like it is. Man I hate UT more with each sound bite.
gobears20
Staff
I like her!
gobears20
Staff
Bob looking at the UT President while he was talking.

CorsicanaBear
The more I hear, the more I am convinced the Baylor admin knew this was coming. Kim's leaving (she knew too, LSU told her if no other way) and the non-announcement of the arena were tied to this.

TAMU knew it too. The politboro of the SEC agreed to say they were not included so that the TAMU admin could tell their fans they didn't know and would have objected if they had. They "leaked" the story just prior to it becoming a fait accompli so they could publicly object. It was all theater.

Everybody who was anybody knew. It was no surprise.
Robert Wilson
Agreed - this is the most likely scenario.
PartyBear
The Baylor administrations should have known this was coming by around the mid 20s at the latest since 2010. Hopefully we have been working on things over the past 11 years regarding weathering this.
57Bear
If BU administrators should have known, then OSU administrators should have known. What did they do to prevent being separated from OU?
Aberzombie1892
PartyBear said:

The Baylor administrations should have known this was coming by around the mid 20s at the latest since 2010. Hopefully we have been working on things over the past 11 years regarding weathering this.
It's unclear that they knew it was coming, however, even if they suspected as much, what could have been done? The remaining Big 12 programs were going to take a hit without UT and OU and there was nothing that could have been done to prevent that since no big name programs were coming to the Big 12 after the loss of Texas A&M and Nebraska.

Personally, I believe that the Big 12 was on borrowed time after (1) it lost 2 of the most valuable programs in all of college football - Texas A&M and Nebraska - and (2) it's already limited footprint lost the states of Colorado, Nebraska, and Missouri while also losing complete control of Texas. There had been some hope that UT and OU would have accepted lower payouts in exchange to an easier path, however, with the passing of the NIL rules and the new SEC deal it became much more difficult to stay with the current Big 12. At the end of the day, it is what it is.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.