Baylor Football

Big 12, Pac 12 meeting to discuss alliance, merger possibility - Report

August 3, 2021

Get your Sailor Bear gear at BearSkinz.com!

Big 12 commissioner Bob Bowlsby will meet with Pac-12 commissioner George Kilavkoff on Tuesday to discuss a potential relationship between the two conferences according to a report by Max Olson of The Athletic.  

The news comes a day after Bowlsby and representatives from Baylor, TCU and Texas Tech — the Texas programs remaining in the the Big 12 — testified in front of members of The Texas Senate regarding the on-going saga around the departure by the University of Texas and the University of Oklahoma to the SEC.  

Speculation has led to the belief that the Pac 12 could eventually be subject to further realignment in major college athletics as several programs have been discussed as options for addition to the B1G. Kilavkoff, who took over as the Pac-12 commissioner this year, has stated there would be opportunities to look at regarding expansion for the conference based on the West Coast.

The eight remaining members of the Big 12 conference have been encouraged to stick together by leadership in the league to ultimately force Texas and Oklahoma to each pay a reported $80 million buyout to make the move to the SEC by 2025. 

If done correctly, a merger with the Pac 12 could potentially force the two institutions to pay the buyout while each of the eight remaining would have a landing spot in a major conference. 

Discussion from...

Big 12, Pac 12 meeting to discuss alliance, merger possibility - Report

6,993 Views | 5 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by PartyBear
BUDOS
How long do you want to ignore this user?
As I noted earlier, Change is a direction, NOT a speed.
BUDOS80
WA Jim
Haven't posted in many years - just signed back up - but I admit this B12 blow up has got me a little worked up and concerned.

But the last paragraph in the staff article said something very intriguing: If done correctly, a merger with the Pac 12 could potentially force the two institutions to pay the buyout while each of the eight remaining would have a landing spot in a major conference.

I have no idea for sure what that means but i think in order to force a buyout the conferences would have to remain as two separate legal entities at least until 2025 or whenever Texas and OU leave. As an enticement to this I would offer the Pac12 a portion of the exit fees. One idea:

Starting with the 2022 season: Big12 and PAC12 agree to remain as separate conferences BUT agree to a combined championship game: Big 12 plays all 9 Big12 teams (remember Texas OU are obligated through 2025 to avoid exit fees) and PAC 12 plays 9 PAC12 games (eliminate Pac12 divisions but play all traditional rivalry games). The Pac12 agrees to play 3 Big12 teams. However the agreement with the PAC12 specifically states they will not play Texas or OU as part of the agreement.

The combined Championship game would be the winner of the Pac12 against the Big12 champion unless it is OU or Texas - those two don't qualify because their record did not include playing 3 Pac12 teams in order to qualify. The highest finishing team that is not Texas or OU plays in the championship game.

Maybe this forces Texas and OU to leave early (maybe they were going to go early anyway) and then we agree to give the PAC12 a portion of the exit fee as an enticement to this agreement. In 2025 we consider a full merger with the Pac12.

I know this has holes but something along these lines would interest me. Long term, I think a merger with the Pac12 is our best hope.
PartyBear
I think it would just mean the new conference would not be in effect until July of 25 which is when Texas and OU officially leave for where they are headed be it the actual SEC or the potential premier league formed over the next four years.
JP1037
PartyBear said:

I think it would just mean the new conference would not be in effect until July of 25 which is when Texas and OU officially leave for where they are headed be it the actual SEC or the potential premier league formed over the next four years.

This. Stay together to whatever legal degree required until 2025 then transition. Make UT and OU pay.

We can put a little longhorn statue in front of our new basketball arena thanking them for their financial support.
PartyBear
JP1037 said:

PartyBear said:

This. Stay together to whatever legal degree required until 2025 then transition. Make UT and OU pay.

We can put a little longhorn statue in front of our new basketball arena thanking them for their financial support.

TCU will put up a Del Conte statue.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.