Story Poster
Baylor Football

Gameday Thread: Baylor (2-0) hits the road to face Kansas (1-1)

September 17, 2021

Get SicEm365 Premium 6 months for $18!

Depth Chart | Class Scholarship Breakdown | Schedule | Big 12 Standings | Roster

Baylor (2-0) is set to begin Big 12 for the 2021 football season on Saturday at 2:30 p.m. CT against Kansas (1-1).

Quote of the week...

Dave Aranda: “I think simplicity, if I had to choose one. I think simple is sophisticated. I think sometimes things get complex because the level of understanding isn't there, and things aren't eliminated that are wasteful. There's not that clear vision of this is who we are, this is what we do, this is what we need.

Craig Smoak’s Players to Watch 

Kansas — Quarterback Jason Bean 

The transfer from UNT is a running threat, as he showed last week against Coastal Carolina with over 100 yards and 2 TD (43, 36 yds). On the flip side, Coastal Carolina also sacked Bean five times. The Bears can get to him, but they can't let him get loose, or it will spell trouble. Think Brady McBride and Texas State, but a worse outcome. Bean can be a little careless with the football, so turnover opportunities will likely be there for the taking. Passing-wise, accuracy is also an issue, and one of his highlight throws last week should have been an interception. But, the Mansfield native brings some electricity to this offense it desperately needs. 

Baylor — Running Back Abram Smith 

Smith has started the year off with a bang. I anticipate Trestan Ebner will continue lighting up the stat sheet, but Smith crossing the 100-yard mark for a third straight game would mean great things for Jeff Grimes' offense. I envision Smith slashing through the KU defense like a hot knife through butter. 

Video of the Week

Discussion from...

Gameday Thread: Baylor (2-0) hits the road to face Kansas (1-1)

25,164 Views | 292 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by boognish_bear
MrGolfguy
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Just win Bears!
Well I ain't no greenhorn!!
BluesBear
Just arrived in Kansas.....Don't make me regret making the trip!
IowaBear
Nice! I'm heading down from Ames tonight! Looks like it's gonna be a nice day tomm
Bear2014
Good guys 35 - 17 big 10 rejects
ImABearToo
Down go the prairie chickens. Decisive win Bears, please!
RedBear05
A win is a win, but I really want an 30pt win type of game. That would be a great sign.
vanillabryce
Baylor with 300 yards rushing

38-10 Bears eat chickens.

Timbear
Baylor won 47-14 last year. That should be our standard today. Look for Kansas to possibly be more creative with their Wide Zone O to try to offset Baylor's power advantage like Art did early on.
boognish_bear
This should be our last time dealing with ESPN+. Praise da Lort!
Bear8084
boognish_bear said:

This should be our last time dealing with ESPN+. Praise da Lort!

For real. 1st game was a disaster in game production, but the 2nd game was pretty good. It's just nicer to have it on regular channel. Less hassle than streaming and Smartcasting to the TV.
vanillabryce
Coastal Carolina 14-14 v Buffalo.

Makes KU's first half against them less impressive.

Keeping with 38-10
Freedomb3ar
At least we get Ryan Leaf. He was pretty decent last week
RedBear05
Lomers with the tip!
whitetrash
ESPN+ audio sounds like it's coming from a handheld AM transistor radio.
JustWinBears
Hoping for a blowout, hoping to not be disappointed.
DanaDane
Dang. Ebner almost broke it.
Jacques Strap
Made it on fourth. Like to see it
jdrs
Glad they went for it on 4th down
Buttpanda
Ebner is so good
DanaDane
It's only 2 full games and the first drive of game 3 and we really haven't played anyone, but I REALLY like what I see from Mateos
DanaDane
TD Bears!!!!!!!!!!!
JustWinBears
I'm curious how aggressive with 4th down they will be against tougher opponents. I really like the aggressiveness though.
Buttpanda
What a throw and catch
jdrs
Nice TD! Good movement down the field.
Jacques Strap
what a catch!
JumboShrimper
I know it's just kansas but this offense is leaps and bounds better than last years. That tells me coaching has alot to do with it.
Jack Bauer
Great start!
RedBear05
Damn that was a strong first drive. Besides that one negative play where looked like the center missed his block, but that happens. 7-0 Bears!!!
Jacques Strap
DanaDane said:

It's only 2 full games and the first drive of game 3 and we really haven't played anyone, but I REALLY like what I see from Mateos
Always good to see them make it look easy when it is supposed to be a mis match in the opponent
Bear8084
Positive Bear said:

I know it's just kansas but this offense is leaps and bounds better than last years. That tells me coaching has alot to do with it.

Agree. We are starting to see it gel and run smoothly. It has a game plan, a purpose, and planned out to what they want to do. Great to see. Sic 'Em!
Jacques Strap
Positive Bear said:

amen
ImwithBU
GB continuing to prove our fans wrong so far
DanaDane
Yep. Good or bad opponent, offensive linemen have to be in position to make blocks. O Line never looked like they had any idea what to do last year. These guys are well coached. They may get manhandled by some defensive line, who knows, but at least I have faith they will be in place to make the play.
JustWinBears
Positive Bear said:

I think it's important to see the Offense do what they are doing regardless of the competition. Defensive play is only half of the story most of the time in effective offenses, you need great execution of the plays by everyone, smart QB play, and execution of passing and catching.

They simply look confident out there, there aren't many mistakes happening on the Baylor's offensive players. Now some deficiencies will crop up against stiffer competition but if they continue to play at this level of execution it's going to be a good year and gives them a chance to compete against anyone.
jdrs
Great. Ready to see the offense again

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.