Football
Sponsored by

SurlyHorns now paying UT's TEs

5,636 Views | 60 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by BikerBear
bear2be2
How long do you want to ignore this user?
contrario said:

Edmond Bear said:

BellCountyBear said:

Edmond Bear said:

BellCountyBear said:

That couple have lived well past their expiration date.

I have no idea why this would be a thing. They are awesome for Waco and awesome for Baylor.

Hope they annoy some people forever.

Good for you, they annoy the piss out of me and most Waco locals.

Sorry that your property taxes are increasing.

Happy that the city and TIF district now has some money to actually get some things done.

Some people are against progress. They would rather the Waco area continue to be known as a center for meth users than for something good to happen for the city.
We've seen a lot of that out here in Abilene as well. Only in the last 10 years have we finally seen some progress toward modernization with downtown revitalization efforts.

Having lived in both places, I'd say Abilene is basically 10 years behind Waco in that regard.
Porteroso
The tourism they bring in has given a ton of people jobs, and brought in a ton of money. It sort of coincided with a few big players pouring money into downtown, so the increase in property taxes isn't only due to Chip and Joanna.

They are a little cheesy, sure, but are great for Waco.
boognish_bear
They are obviously very good at what they do. I am guessing most of us are not in their target audience, but that doesn't mean they are not good at what they do.
Edmond Bear
boognish_bear said:

They are obviously very good at what they do. I am guessing most of us are not in their target audience, but that doesn't mean they are not good at what they do.

We may not be the target audience but our wives and moms are.
historian
I know some Aggie women who love to make trips to Waco so they can go to Magnolia. How is that not a good thing for the city & by extension, Baylor? They are probably going there from Austin & DFW too, including the FW part of that.
“Incline my heart to your testimonies, and not to selfish gain!”
Psalm 119:36
contrario
historian said:

I know some Aggie women who love to make trips to Waco so they can go to Magnolia. How is that not a good thing for the city & by extension, Baylor? They are probably going there from Austin & DFW too, including the FW part of that.
It isn't just Texas. People are coming in from across the country to Waco because of them. Only a short-sighted fool would view this as a bad thing.
CoastalBear
Brian Ethridge said:

1845_Society said:

Edmond Bear said:

BellCountyBear said:

I have no idea why this would be a thing. They are awesome for Waco and awesome for Baylor.

What have they done for Baylor?
Millions in private donations, not looking for publicity.

Jobs for Baylor grads.

Changing the economy of Waco.

What else would you like?

This. And the list goes on and on. I heard (don't know if true) that the Magnolia empire now has more annual visitors than the Alamo. What that can do for Waco and Baylor's national perception is immeasurable … except for the Perryman Group.
historian
The Alamo is the number one tourist attraction in the state of Texas. I do not expect anything in the state to surpass that.
boognish_bear
https://wacotrib.com/news/government/tourism-boom-of-2016-puts-waco-on-map-of-travel-destinations/article_38b87989-36c0-5e49-bdcb-ed46a44a5bf9.html

Some good statistics in this article from 2016 about how Magnolia has increased tourism in Waco and had a spill over effect on other businesses.
73s de N4WJP
contrario said:

historian said:

It isn't just Texas. People are coming in from across the country to Waco because of them. Only a short-sighted fool would view this as a bad thing.
This^

I'm spending my retirment years driving for Uber and Lyft. (Hey, it gets me out of the house.) Let me assure you that every day I take visitors from all over the country from Waco Intercontinental to hotels and AirBnbs. They may be couples or just groups of friends but they are all extremely excited to visit what they've seen on TV and ready to spend money. Many of my riders are repeat visitors and want to not only drop by the silos a second or third time but now want to see Waco in greater depth. To a person, they are very complimentary towards all aspects of our town.

Thinking this a flash in the pan thing is simply not the case.
whitetrash
This is post #45 in a thread about SurlyHorns paying the UT TEs.

The last post that mentioned UT was post #4. The next 40 posts have been about Chip and JoJo.
historian
Crazy how it can get sidetracked!
cowboycwr
CoastalBear said:

Brian Ethridge said:

1845_Society said:

Edmond Bear said:

BellCountyBear said:

What have they done for Baylor?
Millions in private donations, not looking for publicity.

Jobs for Baylor grads.

Changing the economy of Waco.

What else would you like?

This. And the list goes on and on. I heard (don't know if true) that the Magnolia empire now has more annual visitors than the Alamo. What that can do for Waco and Baylor's national perception is immeasurable … except for the Perryman Group.
It is true and has been for several years.
cowboycwr
historian said:

The Alamo is the number one tourist attraction in the state of Texas. I do not expect anything in the state to surpass that.
The silos have surpassed it. For years.

https://www.businessinsider.com/hgtv-chip-and-joanna-gaines-made-waco-texas-top-travel-destination-2018-1
JP1037
BellCountyBear said:

Edmond Bear said:

BellCountyBear said:

Good for you, they annoy the piss out of me and most Waco locals.
BellCountyBear... "I don't like my property value going up and the traffic on the Circle is worse than ever..." You are on the losing side of this one and NO... most locals do not agree with you. Just the jealous and the curmudgeons..

Its ridiculous the good that C&J Gaines have done for Waco and Baylor. They could have skipped town and kept all their money. The marketing benefits to Baylor alone are worth MILLIONS and that is the tip of the iceberg.

Embrace positive change. Its good for everyone in Waco and for Baylor.

JP1037
whitetrash said:

The last post that mentioned UT was post #4. The next 40 posts have been about Chip and JoJo.
LOL... and I took the bait too.
cowboycwr
whitetrash said:

Perhaps it should be retitled and moved to Waco.
boognish_bear
whitetrash said:

I think I was the "derailer" of this thread when I posted the joke about the MagnOLia offensive line sponsorship. I apologize to all S365 fans.
ScottS
We must pay more
boognish_bear
boognish_bear
TinFoilHatPreacherBear
Pecos 45 said:

BellCountyBear said:

Yet they are still on TV and continue to make money.

And they're not very old. Hope they continue for a long long time.

Bell County Bear on the other hand is likely way past his expiry. And continues to reinforce the stereo type of old men yelling "get off my lawn"
Porteroso
BaylorB254
Nevermind
Golden Helmet
Opinions vary…..in the line to the bank.
BikerBear
I just took Bell County Bear off my ignore list a couple of weeks ago….but that was long enough.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.