Baylor glides through Big 12 opener with 45-7 win over Kansas

September 18, 2021

Get SicEm365 Premium 6 months for $18!

LAWRENCE, Kansas — Baylor (3-0) hangs on the rollercoaster in Lawrence to squash Kansas (1-2) in the Big 12 opener by a final of 45-7. 

Coachspeak. Coachspeak is rendered void if it doesn’t include the classic ‘we gotta take care of the football.’ It’s tough to be nitpicky when Baylor won by 38, but the Bears certainly forfeited points via two fumbles at the Kansas 30 and the Baylor 43. 

If you don’t believe the Bears should’ve won by plenty more, let’s take a look at the offensive specs from today’s game: 

Baylor tallied 576 total yards in comparison to Kansas’ 166. The Bears passed for 269 yards while our midwestern friends threw for 57 — which on a scale of one to good is not. Lastly — and trust me, I could go on for a while — the Ursus Americanus had 29 first downs against the fictitious birds’ eight. 

That, my raging green and golders, is what I call objective dominance. 

I’ll reserve an entire spiel for the second half, but I’ll break down the first half by quarter. Baylor tallied 159 yards and allowed -8. Yes, you, my friend, had more yards on your couch than Kansas in the opening 15. And, man, if that isn’t Kansas in a nutshell. 

As good as that sounds, though, Baylor only led 7-0 after a drive stalled due to a fumble.

Still riding momentum, the Bears opened the second quarter with a short touchdown run from the tight end turned fullback Gavin Yates. That’s a real sentence. Had I written that prior to the bout, I can only assume I’d be regarded in the same vein as J.K. Rowling and J.R.R. Tolkien as a genius of fiction. 

Even still, Kansas took over with a long drive to score a touchdown that cut the lead to 14-7. That’s when halftime graced Baylor with its presence. A reset was needed, and boy did it change the entire trajectory of a warm afternoon in Lawrence. 

Baylor tallied a 31-0 margin in the second half while holding Kansas to 66 total yards, two (2) yards of which came through the air. What happened next? A Zeno appearance. A Sqwirl citing. Shapen slinging. Kansas’ first turnover this season. A freaking 48-yard field goal. And a 45-7 final. 

That was it. Abram Smith went for 122 yards and a score. Bohanon notched a 19-23 day for 269 yards and three combined scores. R.J. Sneed had six receptions to tally 128 yards and a score. What a beautiful chapter to preface a monumental showdown with Iowa State in Waco on Saturday. I’ll see you there. 

Discussion from...

Baylor glides through Big 12 opener with 45-7 win over Kansas

2,924 Views | 0 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Drake Toll
There are not any replies to this post yet.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.