Football
Sponsored by

Charlie continues to struggle

6,410 Views | 60 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by LTBear19
Bear8084
How long do you want to ignore this user?
BearTruth13 said:

SIC EM 94 said:

BearTruth13 said:

ColoradoGRN&GLD said:

BearTruth13 said:

I always feel like I'm in crazy land when I hear ESPN analysts or Baylor fans acting shocked when Charlie isn't playing well.

He was an average QB that then got about 10 concussions. He is a bad QB at this point. Feel bad for the guy but he should have hung it up years ago.

Charlie gave Baylor everything he had. You should be thankful that his play ever graced your screen. We root for him specifically because he is, and always will be, a Baylor Bear.

Sic 'em, Charlie

Sure. So were several dozen other QBs in Baylor's history. Doesn't mean all of them were very good. Charlie was fine but was not one of the top QBs we've had in the past decade or so.

RG3
Petty
Russell
Florence
Stidham
Brewer
Chris Johnson
Zach Smith
Solomon

Charlie should have stepped aside last year. He posted his worst year and was clearly not right.

Are you suggesting Brewer should have benched himself? And if you are ranking Stidham over Brewer…you're clearly drunk!

Yep. I am. He was a liability to our team most times last year. I get that he has to look out for his own career first. But once it was apparent we were not going to be bowl eligible, I wish he would have stepped aside for the future players to get reps.

Stidham is a punk and I dislike the guy. But he was much more talented than Charlie.

Stidham played in a game in a half and then left. If you're ranking by pure talent, sure, but if it's a Baylor all time QB list, Stidham doesn't even come close to what CB did for us.
oldbear69
BearTruth13 said:

ColoradoGRN&GLD said:

BearTruth13 said:

I always feel like I'm in crazy land when I hear ESPN analysts or Baylor fans acting shocked when Charlie isn't playing well.

He was an average QB that then got about 10 concussions. He is a bad QB at this point. Feel bad for the guy but he should have hung it up years ago.

Charlie gave Baylor everything he had. You should be thankful that his play ever graced your screen. We root for him specifically because he is, and always will be, a Baylor Bear.

Sic 'em, Charlie

Sure. So were several dozen other QBs in Baylor's history. Doesn't mean all of them were very good. Charlie was fine but was not one of the top QBs we've had in the past decade or so.

RG3
Petty
Russell
Florence
Stidham
Brewer
Chris Johnson
Zach Smith
Solomon

Charlie should have stepped aside last year. He posted his worst year and was clearly not right.
how many other qbs got us an 11-1 season and shot at a championship? do you even know who charlie brewer is? hes number 2 behind rg with 9700 yards and 65 tds...have you got some persona animosity with charlie? did he not autograph your fuzzy wuzzy or something? ...geez ...
BearTruth13
oldbear69 said:

BearTruth13 said:

ColoradoGRN&GLD said:

BearTruth13 said:

Sic 'em, Charlie

RG3
Petty
Russell
Florence
Stidham
Brewer
Chris Johnson
Zach Smith
Solomon

how many other qbs got us an 11-1 season and shot at a championship? do you even know who charlie brewer is? hes number 2 behind rg with 9700 yards and 65 tds...have you got some persona animosity with charlie? did he not autograph your fuzzy wuzzy or something? ...geez ...

Yea he is pretty stinking high in the record books since we handed him the keys when our program imploded as a freshman. And he started most of 4 years. Petty got 2. Russell got 1.5 years. Florence got 2. And Baylor pretty much sucked in football for 20 years before that. Obviously his 4 years on the field will ring up more stats than guys that got half of that time.

Our defense got us to 11-1. It was one of the best defensive groups we ever had.

Brewer was average for a competitive school. Wouldn't be surprised if Utah benches him the rest of the year. Only took them 2 games to figure it out instead of all last season for us.

Florence, Petty, Russell and RG3 all had significantly higher QB ratings than Brewer.

My only animosity towards Brewer is having to watch our offense collapse into oblivion last year with him at the helm when clearly it was time to move on. Not sure why you have such a hard on for the guy. He played for a long time. Helped lead us to a good season in 2019. I think we would have made it to the playoffs in 2019 with those other QBs I ranked ahead of him. Simple as that.
oldbear69
BearTruth13 said:

oldbear69 said:

BearTruth13 said:

ColoradoGRN&GLD said:

BearTruth13 said:

Sic 'em, Charlie

RG3
Petty
Russell
Florence
Stidham
Brewer
Chris Johnson
Zach Smith
Solomon

Yea he is pretty stinking high in the record books since we handed him the keys when our program imploded as a freshman. And he started most of 4 years. Petty got 2. Russell got 1.5 years. Florence got 2. And Baylor pretty much sucked in football for 20 years before that. Obviously his 4 years on the field will ring up more stats than guys that got half of that time.

Our defense got us to 11-1. It was one of the best defensive groups we ever had.

Brewer was average for a competitive school. Wouldn't be surprised if Utah benches him the rest of the year. Only took them 2 games to figure it out instead of all last season for us.

Florence, Petty, Russell and RG3 all had significantly higher QB ratings than Brewer.

My only animosity towards Brewer is having to watch our offense collapse into oblivion last year with him at the helm when clearly it was time to move on. Not sure why you have such a hard on for the guy. He played for a long time. Helped lead us to a good season in 2019. I think we would have made it to the playoffs in 2019 with those other QBs I ranked ahead of him. Simple as that.
hey Mr average qb guy ,,,,just stop with the bs and answer my simple question,,,,how many other qbs got us an 11-1 season,,spot in the championship game , a sugar bowl , 10,000 yards , 65 tds and another 22 tds rushing,,,,,and despite what you say , qb rating is all time #4.....shouldnt be too hard to answer,,,,its not like we have 11-1 seasons all the time...did charlie eliminate your high school team in the playoffs or something?
BearTruth13
oldbear69 said:

BearTruth13 said:

oldbear69 said:

BearTruth13 said:

ColoradoGRN&GLD said:

BearTruth13 said:

Sic 'em, Charlie

RG3
Petty
Russell
Florence
Stidham
Brewer
Chris Johnson
Zach Smith
Solomon

hey Mr average qb guy ,,,,just stop with the bs and answer my simple question,,,,how many other qbs got us an 11-1 season,,spot in the championship game , a sugar bowl , 10,000 yards , 65 tds and another 22 tds rushing,,,,,and despite what you say , qb rating is all time #4.....shouldnt be too hard to answer,,,,its not like we have 11-1 seasons all the time...did charlie eliminate your high school team in the playoffs or something?

You are forgetting a couple losses there. 11-3 was the record.

The Sugar Bowl has been played 85 times so I guess 170 QBs have gone to that particular bowl game. 85 of them even won it!

You seem a tad out of sorts gramps. Maybe go back to the Lady Bears thread. Or head over to the Utes fan board. I'm sure they'll welcome you.
oldbear69
BearTruth13 said:

oldbear69 said:

BearTruth13 said:

oldbear69 said:

BearTruth13 said:

ColoradoGRN&GLD said:

BearTruth13 said:

Sic 'em, Charlie

RG3
Petty
Russell
Florence
Stidham
Brewer
Chris Johnson
Zach Smith
Solomon

The Sugar Bowl has been played 85 times so I guess 170 QBs have gone to that particular bowl game. 85 of them even won it!

You seem a tad out of sorts gramps. Maybe go back to the Lady Bears thread. Or head over to the Utes fan board. I'm sure they'll welcome you.
hey mr average qb guy,,, cant let you get away with ur revisionist baylor football history,,,,,saying our defense won those 11 games for us,,,,,short memory lapse? do you happen to recall that 31 -10 lead vs ou , when our defense disappeared for an embarrasing loss,,,,woudve been undefeated in conference and 12 wins on the year,,,,,then that vaunted defense of yours gave up another 30+ in the title game,,,,,,,u seem to have a really selective memory for such a young numnut,,,,,,
BearTruth13
oldbear69 said:

BearTruth13 said:

oldbear69 said:

BearTruth13 said:

oldbear69 said:

BearTruth13 said:

ColoradoGRN&GLD said:

BearTruth13 said:

Sic 'em, Charlie

RG3
Petty
Russell
Florence
Stidham
Brewer
Chris Johnson
Zach Smith
Solomon

hey mr average qb guy,,, cant let you get away with ur revisionist baylor football history,,,,,saying our defense won those 11 games for us,,,,,short memory lapse? do you happen to recall that 31 -10 lead vs ou , when our defense disappeared for an embarrasing loss,,,,woudve been undefeated in conference and 12 wins on the year,,,,,then that vaunted defense of yours gave up another 30+ in the title game,,,,,,,u seem to have a really selective memory for such a young numnut,,,,,,

I recall that the Baylor D gave up 34 points in the first game to OU. The only teams to allow less that year to OU were national champion LSU and TCU at 28. I also recall that the Baylor offense scored 7 points in the second half of that game with 110 yards of offense on 5 possessions with a fumble and interception. And were on the field a total of 5 minutes in the second half (1 minutes per possession), completely wearing out our D against one of the best offenses in the country with a Heisman QB.

In the conference championship, OU scored 23 in regulation (lowest in regulation for the year) and 30 total if you include OT.

I recall that that same year our vaulted offense scored:

21 points against Rice
23 points against ISU
17 points against West Virginia
24 points against UT
9 points in regulation against TCU
20 points in regulation against Tech

And our defense gifted our offense 12 turnovers in those above games.

To recap, our defense held every opponent to 21 points or less in regulation except for OU (34) and Georgia (26). Which once again, was OU's second lowest output of the year.

We were 1st in the conference in scoring defense (allowed 19 ppg) and well ahead of second place (Kansas St at 21 ppg).

We were 3rd in scoring offense. Behind Texas and 7 ppg behind OU. And our numbers were skewed higher due to 3 overtime games. Without those overtimes, we would have finished 6th in scoring offense..

I can keep going all day. What else would you like to know?
bear2be2
BearTruth13 said:

oldbear69 said:

BearTruth13 said:

oldbear69 said:

BearTruth13 said:

oldbear69 said:

BearTruth13 said:

ColoradoGRN&GLD said:

BearTruth13 said:

Sic 'em, Charlie

RG3
Petty
Russell
Florence
Stidham
Brewer
Chris Johnson
Zach Smith
Solomon

I recall that the Baylor D gave up 34 points in the first game to OU. The only teams to allow less that year to OU were national champion LSU and TCU at 28. I also recall that the Baylor offense scored 7 points in the second half of that game with 110 yards of offense on 5 possessions with a fumble and interception. And were on the field a total of 5 minutes in the second half (1 minutes per possession), completely wearing out our D against one of the best offenses in the country with a Heisman QB.

In the conference championship, OU scored 23 in regulation (lowest in regulation for the year) and 30 total if you include OT.

21 points against Rice
23 points against ISU
24 points against UT

To recap, our defense held every opponent to 21 points or less in regulation except for OU (34) and Georgia (26). Which once again, was OU's second lowest output of the year.

We were 1st in the conference in scoring defense (allowed 19 ppg) and well ahead of second place (Kansas St at 21 ppg).

We were 3rd in scoring offense. Behind Texas and 7 ppg behind OU. And our numbers were skewed higher due to 3 overtime games. Without those overtimes, we would have finished 6th in scoring offense..

Stop it. Charlie passed for 3,000 yards, rushed for almost 350 and contributed 32 total touchdowns in 2019. To pretend he was a mere bystander that year is just stupid.

Charlie was a really good QB for Baylor until his senior year, and there were a lot of factors that went into his struggles last season.
FLBear5630
EvilTroyAndAbed said:

RMF5630 said:

Alf said:

I take no joy in seeing Charlie struggle, wish the best for him.

He bailed. I dont want an opposing ex-player or an opposing team to do well.
He played for us four full years. He graduated from Baylor. He didn't bail.
Oh, my mistake. Brewer in in the Pros and we are talking about him struggling for a Pro team? If that is the case, I stand corrected and wish him the best.
Swanni
I hate threads like this. Brewer put his heart and soul in to every single play. He was the consummate warrior with a sieve of an OL in front of him. So celebrate one hell of a kid who gave us everything he had all day. Kid was a warrior. Go pick on someone else. Embarrassing for the trash talk.
Swanni
BearTruth13
bear2be2 said:

BearTruth13 said:

oldbear69 said:

BearTruth13 said:

oldbear69 said:

BearTruth13 said:

oldbear69 said:

BearTruth13 said:

ColoradoGRN&GLD said:

BearTruth13 said:

Sic 'em, Charlie

RG3
Petty
Russell
Florence
Stidham
Brewer
Chris Johnson
Zach Smith
Solomon

21 points against Rice
23 points against ISU
24 points against UT

Stop it. Charlie passed for 3,000 yards, rushed for almost 350 and contributed 32 total touchdowns in 2019. To pretend he was a mere bystander that year is just stupid.

Charlie was a really good QB for Baylor until his senior year, and there were a lot of factors that went into his struggles last season.

In 2018, he was 5th in the Big 12 in TD and passing yards and 6th in QB rating. Behind Kyler, Ehlinger, Grier and Taylor Cornelius.

In 2019, (his best year) he was 4th in the Big 12 in TDs, passing yards and QB rating. Behind Sam Ehlinger, Jalen Hurts, and Purdy.

In 2020, he was 6th in passing yards and QB rating and 5th in TDs. Behind Rattler, Ehlinger, Duggan, and Purdy.

He was not a bystander in 2019. Never said he was. He was a big part.

But without our defense that year we lose to ISU, TCU, Tech and West Virginia and go 7-5 and play in the Texas Bowl.
EvilTroyAndAbed
RMF5630 said:

EvilTroyAndAbed said:

RMF5630 said:

Alf said:

Oh, my mistake. Brewer in in the Pros and we are talking about him struggling for a Pro team? If that is the case, I stand corrected and wish him the best.
Glad you changed your mind. Also, it's weird that you hate a guy who played for us for FOUR FULL YEARS and the only reason he's on another team is a glitch in eligibility because of COVID. In any other scenario, he would have left Baylor with the respect and admiration of fans. But you would prefer he come back and take another year of eligibility away from Gerry and Zeno.

Truth of the matter is, the coaching staff gently nudged him out the door, that much is certain, but they were happy to help him find him a good landing spot. And for this, he has, until this last post, earned your scorn. Weird what adult fans of college kids find to get worked up about.
dstaylor57
charlie was a heck of a QB for us as a game manager and chain mover. Unfortunately the concussions caught up with him and he should have hung it up after the Georgia game.
FLBear5630
EvilTroyAndAbed said:

RMF5630 said:

EvilTroyAndAbed said:

RMF5630 said:

Alf said:

Glad you changed your mind. Also, it's weird that you hate a guy who played for us for FOUR FULL YEARS and the only reason he's on another team is a glitch in eligibility because of COVID. In any other scenario, he would have left Baylor with the respect and admiration of fans. But you would prefer he come back and take another year of eligibility away from Gerry and Zeno.

Truth of the matter is, the coaching staff gently nudged him out the door, that much is certain, but they were happy to help him find him a good landing spot. And for this, he has, until this last post, earned your scorn. Weird what adult fans of college kids find to get worked up about.
What pro team is he playing for? I have not seen him on any NFL rosters. Canada?
SIC EM 94
You're the only ***** that keeps referencing the pros for some odd reason…settle down!
greggor25
Another thread hijacked.....
Bear8084
greggor25 said:

Not yet. Someone has to complain about Chip and Jojo for it to be fully hijacked.
Bear8084
greggor25 said:

Someone has to complain about Chip and Jojo first to be fully hijacked.
FLBear5630
SIC EM 94 said:

You're the only ***** that keeps referencing the pros for some odd reason…settle down!
So he does have College Football eligibility left and went to another team? Imagine that. He left BU with eligibility and now plays for Utah. Sorry, no sympathy for struggling.

You settle down, your the only ***** getting upset and personal for some odd reason. Sick of *******s like you thinking there is only one correct way to think about a situation.
Roper19
I don't wish any ill on him, but I don't root for players who transfer away. He was an above average QB before whatever happened to him and a below average QB after that. Now he plays for someone else and I root for Gerry Bohannon. Not rooting for Lovett either. My one exception was Devin Chafin. To be blunt, I was willing to roll with him wherever he went. I was really hoping he would light it up. The grass isn't always greener, though.
SIC EM 94
RMF5630 said:

SIC EM 94 said:

So he does have College Football eligibility left and went to another team? Imagine that. He left BU with eligibility and now plays for Utah. Sorry, no sympathy for struggling.

You settle down, your the only ***** getting upset and personal for some odd reason. Sick of *******s like you thinking there is only one correct way to think about a situation.

You are certainly entitled to your opinion, even if it's based on incorrect facts. When Charlie was told he would not be starting the next season, he wisely chose to go play somewhere else since he still had eligibility left. He loves Baylor, he has always been an ambassador for Baylor. He didn't ***** and moan about losing the starting job here, he simply moved on with the hopes of continuing his football career. I'm not arguing that he should be our current QB (he shouldn't be) but I certainly am not going to wish failure on him after all that he gave to Baylor.
FLBear5630
SIC EM 94 said:

RMF5630 said:

SIC EM 94 said:

You are certainly entitled to your opinion, even if it's based on incorrect facts. When Charlie was told he would not be starting the next season, he wisely chose to go play somewhere else since he still had eligibility left. He loves Baylor, he has always been an ambassador for Baylor. He didn't ***** and moan about losing the starting job here, he simply moved on with the hopes of continuing his football career. I'm not arguing that he should be our current QB (he shouldn't be) but I certainly am not going to wish failure on him after all that he gave to Baylor.

Fine, I still do not root for him to do better at Utah. Are you his Dad or something? The guy left for whatever reason. His decision, don't expect the old fan base to root for you in another teams uniform. Don't think it is an unreasonable stance.
no-one
I know I am a newbie. Not a Baylor graduate but just a fan. Loved watching Charlie Brewer play college ball and was so unhappy and scared for the guy when he started getting his concussions. As a QB, he always retained his heart but afraid the guy has steadily gone down in ability. Mental or physically, doesn't matter, but he his not the same QB I saw play 2 years ago for Baylor. Sad really. Watched him in both of his Utah games until he was replaced last Sat. Sad again. Great player and great guy. In my opinion, he needs to quit, for his own health's sake. No real dishonor in that. I think all his fans would understand. I also hope Baylor fans lets it go and allows him to bow our gracefully. He has given his all and enough is enough. Thanks
Wichitabear
BearTruth13 said:

oldbear69 said:

BearTruth13 said:

oldbear69 said:

BearTruth13 said:

oldbear69 said:

BearTruth13 said:

ColoradoGRN&GLD said:

BearTruth13 said:

Sic 'em, Charlie

RG3
Petty
Russell
Florence
Stidham
Brewer
Chris Johnson
Zach Smith
Solomon

21 points against Rice
23 points against ISU
24 points against UT

you got a great memory BearTruth13
Wichitabear
MortimerS.6874 said:

I know I am a newbie. Not a Baylor graduate but just a fan. Loved watching Charlie Brewer play college ball and was so unhappy and scared for the guy when he started getting his concussions. As a QB, he always retained his heart but afraid the guy has steadily gone down in ability. Mental or physically, doesn't matter, but he his not the same QB I saw play 2 years ago for Baylor. Sad really. Watched him in both of his Utah games until he was replaced last Sat. Sad again. Great player and great guy. In my opinion, he needs to quit, for his own health's sake. No real dishonor in that. I think all his fans would understand. I also hope Baylor fans lets it go and allows him to bow our gracefully. He has given his all and enough is enough. Thanks
thanks for posting
BearTruth13
Wichitabear said:

BearTruth13 said:

oldbear69 said:

BearTruth13 said:

oldbear69 said:

BearTruth13 said:

oldbear69 said:

BearTruth13 said:

ColoradoGRN&GLD said:

BearTruth13 said:

Sic 'em, Charlie

RG3
Petty
Russell
Florence
Stidham
Brewer
Chris Johnson
Zach Smith
Solomon

21 points against Rice
23 points against ISU
24 points against UT

you got a great memory BearTruth13

I like numbers. What can I say. And I remember exactly where I was for every game. A lot of pacing around my living room.
LTBear19
Well, not to be too nit-picky, BUT -

We actually went scoreless in the 2nd Half of that 1st OU Game.

Being surrounded by a bunch of Sooner fans while we squandered a 31-10 halftime lead was not my definition of fun!

Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.