Football
Sponsored by

Big 12 schools by endowment

8,970 Views | 40 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Redbrickbear
gobears20
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Staff
atomicblast
Did TCU really pass $2 billion? We were neck and neck for a bit. Seems we are being left behind.
BaylorGrad09
How is ISU AAU. They have lower endowment, and based on the other thread, their acceptance standards aren't nearly as stringent as Baylor's. I know part of that is about research, but geez.
DanaDane
We are well endowed.
JP1037
atomicblast said:

Did TCU really pass $2 billion? We were neck and neck for a bit. Seems we are being left behind.
BOR screw ups took donations off the table.

Looks like UCF is one bad law suit away from bankruptcy court.
guadalupeoso
They were granted AAU status back in the early 1900's if I remember correctly. Which is why the whole AAU thing is a farce. If you're school was given AAU status back in 1937, then somehow that separates you today in the eyes of the Big 10 or other powers. Not that the Big 10 is takin any new schools, but I just think that's a pointless qualification. Nebraska was AAU as well but recently lost the affiliation I think.
Cusco
JP1037 said:

atomicblast said:

BOR screw ups took donations off the table.

Looks like UCF is one bad law suit away from bankruptcy court.
Wouldn't that be a good law suit?
Quinton
Should be well over $2B with asset prices over the last 10 yrs and increased "successes." Getting it way up was the key to taking the next step as an institution.

Assuming this is a combination of lagging returns for whatever reason and fund issues related to the BOR mismanagement / blowback from the fb program fiasco. Curious what rate or return the endowment has averaged since 08/09'.
Stranger
if this a list of Big XII schools, where are Texas and OU?
I'm a Bearbacker
Tylerbear
Pretty certain BU is over $2billion now

I also assume the others have grown also.
PartyBear
According to Wikipedia it is about what it is in the OP. It is updated there because I check it there periodically. Although without taking the time to double check I'm not sure if they have it dated. It could be a figure dated as of 2019 for example.
canoso
atomicblast said:

I've often wondered whether a certain BU event in 2016 has anything to do with our being left behind.
Pecos 45
Well I'm shocked at BYU's numbers.
I didn't realize polygamists who won't let their wives work outside the home have so much money.
“If you have a job without aggravations, you don’t have a job.”
Malcolm Forbes
Texasjeremy
That number for Tech is their system-wide number, not just the main campus.
Baylorbears111
Pecos 45 said:

I didn't realize polygamists who won't let their wives work outside the home have so much money.
Slanders aside. BYU tuition is $6,000 per semester for non-LDS students. Even cheaper if you are a member. The time is long past for Baylor to start circling the wagons and getting its tuition balloon under control. There are better ways to blow $25,000 per semester.
Aliceinbubbleland
TCU passed us in academic too according to todays WSJ.

UT 60
BYU 138
TCU 154
BU 170
ISU 219
KU 219
OU 244
Cin 290
UCF 297
OSU 313
UH 323
KSU 392
TT 401-500 category
WVU 401-500 Category
Memphis 501-600 Category

Some surprises who were better than I perceived:

ND 28
Miami 49
Wake 61
aggy 79
SMU 94
Trinity 106
Tulsa 179
BUGWBBear
Stranger said:

Being ignored as it should be.
BUGWBBear
DanaDane said:

We are well endowed.

Only an accountant would get a rise from seeing the cleavage of our bank account.
BearTruth13
Pecos 45 said:

Most Mormons I've met are extremely hardworking and smart. And typically well off and generous to Mormon causes. That endowment doesn't shock me.
BCL79
guadalupeoso said:

They were granted AAU status back in the early 1900's if I remember correctly. Which is why the whole AAU thing is a farce. If you're school was given AAU status back in 1937, then somehow that separates you today in the eyes of the Big 10 or other powers. Not that the Big 10 is takin any new schools, but I just think that's a pointless qualification. Nebraska was AAU as well but recently lost the affiliation I think.
Pretty sure AAU status changes frequently. As can R1 status. Kinda like being pregnant, either you are or you aren't.

Especially for the lower ranked AAU and R1 schools. Not much room for yearly variances (or the three years for cert).
BearlyBeloved
Stranger said:

They are listed among enowments for the homeless and orphanage schools.

Mitch Henessey
Good luck getting information on our endowment's returns from Baylor. I work in asset management and have asked for this information several times and haven't received anything other than what's printed in the brochure (which is, frankly, nothing).

I suspect that Baylor utilizes the failed "endowment model" popularized by the late David Swenson at the Yale endowment office. Which really only works if you're David Swenson or are a massive hedge fund masquerading as a school endowment (Harvard). And even then, the returns aren't great. Baylor would be better off indexing.
Pecos 45
Baylorbears111 said:

Pecos 45 said:

Slanders aside. BYU tuition is $6,000 per semester for non-LDS students. Even cheaper if you are a member. The time is long past for Baylor to start circling the wagons and getting its tuition balloon under control. There are better ways to blow $25,000 per semester.
The best defense against slander is the truth.
And the Mormons don't want the truth.
They want you to believe that they are all like Donnie and Marie Osmond..

The Mormons are just Branch Davidians with better haircuts.
Malcolm Forbes
Pecos 45
BearTruth13 said:

Pecos 45 said:

Most Mormons I've met are extremely hardworking and smart. And typically well off and generous to Mormon causes. That endowment doesn't shock me.
Read The Sound of Gravel or Under the Banner of Heaven then get back to me.

And I repeat: The Mormons are just Branch Davidians with better haircuts.
Malcolm Forbes
Aliceinbubbleland
Pecos 45 said:

Baylorbears111 said:

Pecos 45 said:

Take this crap to the R&P board and never ever bring it up again here.
Stranger
Aliceinbubbleland said:

Pecos 45 said:

Baylorbears111 said:

Pecos 45 said:

Take this crap to the R&P board and never ever bring it up again here.

Who died and put you in charge? I'm enjoying this repartee.

Besides, someone mentioned Baylor's endowment. I guarantee we're not getting the truth.
I'm a Bearbacker
Jacques Strap
Mitch Henessey said:

Good luck getting information on our endowment's returns from Baylor. I work in asset management and have asked for this information several times and haven't received anything other than what's printed in the brochure (which is, frankly, nothing).

I suspect that Baylor utilizes the failed "endowment model" popularized by the late David Swenson at the Yale endowment office. Which really only works if you're David Swenson or are a massive hedge fund masquerading as a school endowment (Harvard). And even then, the returns aren't great. Baylor would be better off indexing.

Agree
BearTruth13
Pecos 45 said:

BearTruth13 said:

Pecos 45 said:

Read The Sound of Gravel or Under the Banner of Heaven then get back to me.

And I repeat: The Mormons are just Branch Davidians with better haircuts.

No saying their beliefs aren't nuts. But I've developed a lot of Mormon friends over the years. Despite the crazy theology, they really do have great jobs, families and are mission minded.
VA Cougar
Pecos, I get that religion brings out the crazies, just like politics. And all religions have things about them that look weird to others. That's why a premise of religion is faith…faith in what you believe. And thank God that we live in a country where you can believe in what you want. Normally I don't care about posters degrading my faith, but if it's false, I'll correct.

Polygamy was a history of the Mormon faith, it hasn't since the 1890s. I don't see a single similarity in Koresh's Branch Davidians and the Mormon faith. No doomsday prophesies, apocalyptic prepping, or commune isolation. But it's your God-given agency and first amendment right to say so if you believe so.

I tend to follow coaches when they leave BYU. Grimes was a special one who made significant improvements to BYUs program during both times at BYU. Having heard him and his wife at pregame events speak about their experiences at BYU, I doubt they would agree with your assessments of members of the Mormon faith either.

As a BYU fan, I'm very much excited to see new opportunities in the B12, a fit that I believe is better than what the P12 could offer or what Independence was providing. I hope you take the opportunity to visit Provo for a game, take a pregame tour of the stadium booth offered only to visitors of opposing teams, see the conference-mate flags flying in the endzones, the free ice cream during the game that's offered to those visitors, sing your fight song played by our band. Hopefully the teams take the opportunity to pray together at the conclusion of the game like after BYU played BSU or sing fight songs together like after BYU played Navy last year. After all, after the game ends, we all have more common than just fans of opposing teams.
zebbie
Texasjeremy said:

That number for Tech is their system-wide number, not just the main campus.
Pretty sure that the vast majority of that is the main campus, if that's the case. We had a goal of 40k students and a billion dollar endowment years ago. Pretty sure we hit a billion a while back.
Redbrickbear
Pecos 45 said:

LDS Church (Mormons) have between $100-$300 billion in assets.

Their private asset management group know as Ensign Peak advisors alone has a fund worth close to $120 billon. It works out of a pretty non-descript office building in Salt Lake.

Most people did not even know that Ensign Peak had that kind of money until a whistleblower former employee in 2019 spilled the news.

The Mormon leadership could transfer $40 billon over to BYU and pass Harvard tomorrow. They could just move $12 billon over to BYU and it would become the 7th largest university endowment in the USA.
Redbrickbear
Baylorbears111 said:

Pecos 45 said:

Yep, pretty crazy that if you are a active Mormon you can go to BYU for less than $10,000 a year in tuition.

That is affordable for a middle class Mormon family with 4 kids.

That's a really good deal....$40,000 or less for a 4 year degree.
RegentCoverup
atomicblast said:

It's time to pull the ol' cord on a few respirators.
This site leaks private information to Baylor Regents and Administration
RegentCoverup
Redbrickbear said:

Baylorbears111 said:

Pecos 45 said:

Yep, pretty crazy that if you are a active Mormon you can go to BYU for less than $10,000 a year in tuition.

That is affordable for a middle class Mormon family with 4 kids.

That's a really good deal....$40,000 or less for a 4 year degree.
They copied a lot of the advice that Vance Fried(Ok State Professor) gave in his work that was featured in The Economist..

And their model puts a lot of pressure on the bloated state universities in this country, which draws political fire but they deserve a lot of credit. I certainly tip my hat to BYU. a lot of young people are better off.

College could be much cheaper in this country, it's the crooked Left that can't control costs.

If you hate the cost now, wait until they make it 'FREE.'
This site leaks private information to Baylor Regents and Administration
Redbrickbear
VA Cougar said:

Pecos, I get that religion brings out the crazies, just like politics. And all religions have things about them that look weird to others. That's why a premise of religion is faith…faith in what you believe. And thank God that we live in a country where you can believe in what you want. Normally I don't care about posters degrading my faith, but if it's false, I'll correct.

Polygamy was a history of the Mormon faith, it hasn't since the 1890s. I don't see a single similarity in Koresh's Branch Davidians and the Mormon faith. No doomsday prophesies, apocalyptic prepping, or commune isolation. But it's your God-given agency and first amendment right to say so if you believe so.

I tend to follow coaches when they leave BYU. Grimes was a special one who made significant improvements to BYUs program during both times at BYU. Having heard him and his wife at pregame events speak about their experiences at BYU, I doubt they would agree with your assessments of members of the Mormon faith either.

As a BYU fan, I'm very much excited to see new opportunities in the B12, a fit that I believe is better than what the P12 could offer or what Independence was providing. I hope you take the opportunity to visit Provo for a game, take a pregame tour of the stadium booth offered only to visitors of opposing teams, see the conference-mate flags flying in the endzones, the free ice cream during the game that's offered to those visitors, sing your fight song played by our band. Hopefully the teams take the opportunity to pray together at the conclusion of the game like after BYU played BSU or sing fight songs together like after BYU played Navy last year. After all, after the game ends, we all have more common than just fans of opposing teams.
Great post buddy. Glad ya'll are coming to the Big 12.

Also, I agree we should keep the religion discussion/in-fighting to the Politics-Religion board.

I have my arguments against Mormonism, as you would imagine being that I'm a Southern Baptist, but those fights should be left on the Politics-Religion forum. Not in our sports forums.

Hope your fans stick around on here and have fun.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.