Football
Sponsored by

Boise State Rejects AAC Invite in Hopes of Future Big 12 Invite: Report

3,368 Views | 29 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by bear2be2
gobears20
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Staff
Grumpy
This makes we wonder if Big 12 gave them enough hope in their conversations. I, for one, am hoping we are patient enough to see if there might be better options in a year or two and see how conference alignments shake out.
Beaneater
No smurf turf!
DanaDane
Why is that such a big surprise? They turned down the AAC years ago because they're not a geographic fit. Unless Idaho as a state somehow figures out how to lift itself up and move a few thousand miles eastward, Boise still doesn't fit today.
Media Bear
DST
Honestly, it was a reach for the AAC to try to poach them to begin with. The AAC without Houston, UCF, and Cincinnati (plus whatever three new C-USA/MAC/Sun Belt members they get) has about the same TV contract power as Boise in the Mountain West, and the MWC has less restrictive exit fees. It makes no sense for them to jump to another G5 conference.
DanaDane
Plus they don't have to absorb all the travel costs of competing all across the country. Simply doesn't make a lot of sense. And, with a 12 team playoff (assuming we finally get there), they still have as good of a shot while staying in the MWC.
atomicblast
Adding Boise State is a huge mistake. They add nothing and we are actually almost as big as they are! For a public university they have very little to give!
BearlyBeloved
The story also says Colorado State and Air Force will join the AAC, so that will give them a Mountain Time footprint anyway.

If Air Force is joining Navy in the AAC, can Army be far behind?

PartyBear
Boise is probably a future post USC PAC member.
Aberzombie1892
DanaDane said:

Why is that such a big surprise? They turned down the AAC years ago because they're not a geographic fit. Unless Idaho as a state somehow figures out how to lift itself up and move a few thousand miles eastward, Boise still doesn't fit today.

They turned down the AAC because the AAC wouldn't give them preferential treatment the way that the MWC does.
Bearly Legal
I think they know they're next in line for a big 12 invitation. Smart move on their part.
BluesBear
Well, if B12 expands and snags AZ, ASU and CU - then it makes sense. Boise is a growing tech city - great atmosphere and they bring more to the plate than Kansas does....
PartyBear
I don't think the XII moves again until it sees whether or not by the mid 20s the SEC or the BIG does. If the XII thought they should expand to more than 12 teams before then, more than 4 schools would have been announced on Sept 10th.
Bearly Legal
LondonBear said:

Well, if B12 expands and snags AZ, ASU and CU - then it makes sense. Boise is a growing tech city - great atmosphere and they bring more to the plate than Kansas does....
I don't see those schools joining the big 12. The big 12 is dying. If spots open up in a power conference, we need to be the first in line to jump ship. I hope our leaders aren't sleeping at the wheel.
Johnny Bear
Nothing against Boise State as a school, but personally I hate that blue field.
bear2be2
PartyBear said:

I don't think the XII moves again until it sees whether or not by the mid 20s the SEC or the BIG does. If the XII thought they should expand to more than 12 teams before then, more than 4 schools would have been announced on Sept 10th.
Not necessarily. The plan may have been to expand to 14 schools all along. But with Texas and OU in lame duck situations, you have to account for them until they're gone. They may be waiting until they know when they'll be down to 12 to invite the final two schools.
fadskier
atomicblast said:

Adding Boise State is a huge mistake. They add nothing and we are actually almost as big as they are! For a public university they have very little to give!
There is no one in the remaining Big 12 that "has anything to give" if we are talking about TV viewing. Boise travels well and is a national brand.
Salute the Marines - Joe Biden
BluesBear
Who wins the "new" B12 vs Pac head-to-head matchups?
bear2be2
LondonBear said:

Who wins the "new" B12 vs Pac head-to-head matchups?
The PAC can't beat San Diego State or BYU, so I would imagine the new Big 12 would be in pretty good shape.
ilikebu
boognish_bear
Boise seems to be trending down since Harsin left for Auburn.

They went 7-5 last year and just got thumped on the road by 1-3 UTEP to move to 2-2. They came in as 16.5 favorites.
Mothballs
Bearly Legal said:

LondonBear said:

I don't see those schools joining the big 12. The big 12 is dying. If spots open up in a power conference, we need to be the first in line to jump ship. I hope our leaders aren't sleeping at the wheel.

Bump
boognish_bear
boognish_bear
CorsicanaBear
Nobody but BSU boosters have given them any hope they will be invited to the Big 12.
fadskier
I'd take Boise over Colorado and Arizona State any day...
Salute the Marines - Joe Biden
BaylorGuy314
fadskier said:

I'd take Boise over Colorado and Arizona State any day...

No way. Boise is already fading as a program. They've basically been at their peak. I think they'll stay a prominent G5 program for a while but their days of being "BCS Busters"/Top 15 program are likely finished.
Aberzombie1892
Boise State has no value if they aren't winning, and it's a prime example why P5 expansion doesn't focus on on the field results - there is no guarantee that a program will maintain the same performance or better when it changes conferences.
bear2be2
Aberzombie1892 said:

Boise State has no value if they aren't winning, and it's a prime example why P5 expansion doesn't focus on on the field results - there is no guarantee that a program will maintain the same performance or better when it changes conferences.
Colorado has no value either. I'd much rather stay at 12 than add CU or Arizona State.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.