Football
Sponsored by

Jon Gruden resigns after emails leaked

14,754 Views | 247 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Timbear
boognish_bear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Urban breathing a sigh of relief to be out of the spotlight for a minute.

Wichitabear
Wow.
IowaBear
It was a decade ago. My lanta
Robert Wilson
They going to do a deep dive through everyone's emails going back to 2010? How about text messages? Using a company issued phone?
Reverend
A lot of old texts and emails are most likely going to be dug up on a lot of people. These are the kind of mistakes that won't be made in the future for sure.
bear2be2
Reverend said:

A lot of old texts and emails are most likely going to be dug up on a lot of people. These are the kind of mistakes that won't be made in the future for sure.
These were only unearthed because of multiple workplace misconduct investigations.

The moral of this story is don't send racist, homophobic and misogynistic emails and/or behave in a way that gets you investigated for workplace misconduct.
Stefano DiMera
Ironic this was all during the investigation into harassment with the Redskins but Danny Boy Snyder kept his job.
historian
A lot depends on how one defines racist, homophobic, or misogynistic. A lot of things given those labels or nothing of the kind because of political correctness & cancel culture. All too often, people's careers are destroyed because they say (text, email, etc) something someone disagrees with even if it is totally honest. Snowflakes can become bullies.
boognish_bear
bear2be2
historian said:

A lot depends on how one defines racist, homophobic, or misogynistic. A lot of things given those labels or nothing of the kind because of political correctness & cancel culture. All too often, people's careers are destroyed because they say (text, email, etc) something someone disagrees with even if it is totally honest. Snowflakes can become bullies.
It doesn't sound like this was particularly ambiguous. I'm not sure why some are so quick to defend Gruden here.
whitetrash
Gruden gets the Nguyen Van Lem treatment.

IowaBear
Not saying what he did wasn't wrong, it was. But it was a decade ago. People learn, people grow. Also I can guarantee you if you went an truly dug through emails, texts Etc of current coaches and or players you'd be astonished at what you'd find
Stefano DiMera
Have you seen the emails?! He said a black man had lips as huge as tires...he called the commissioner a gay slur for forcing Jeff Fisher to draft a ***(gay slur).

He made sexist comments about female referres...I mean he hit every group except the Asians and I'm sure there are some emails somewhere on them
historian
I was speaking generally. I do not know any of the details. If he's a total scumbag (quite possible), the he deserves his fate. But I've seen far too many stories in recent years of people being criticized & harmed for having different opinions. Gina Carano is the first example that comes to mind.
bear2be2
IowaBear said:

Not saying what he did wasn't wrong, it was. But it was a decade ago. People learn, people grow. Also I can guarantee you if you went an truly dug through emails, texts Etc of current coaches and or players you'd be astonished at what you'd find
The emails spanned a seven-year period. This was a pattern of behavior, not a one-time thing.

And I'd be fine exposing everyone else with a similar past. These mentalities need to be purged from sports and society at large.

Not emailing racist, homophobic and misogynistic **** is a very low bar to clear. It's not unreasonable to expect that from people in leadership positions.
boognish_bear
Probably didn't help him that's he been somewhat underwhelming there so far

historian
If he said such things, then I have no sympathy.
boognish_bear

Russell Gym
bear2be2 said:

historian said:

It doesn't sound like this was particularly ambiguous. I'm not sure why some are so quick to defend Gruden here.

Unfortunately, it's all too predictable in this forum.
Mitch Blood Green
historian said:

Naw. He went there.
bear2be2
historian said:

I was speaking generally. I do not know any of the details. If he's a total scumbag (quite possible), the he deserves his fate. But I've seen far too many stories in recent years of people being criticized & harmed for having different opinions. Gina Carano is the first example that comes to mind.
This has nothing to do with Gina Carano or anyone else. This is a discussion about Jon Gruden. Whether intended or not, bringing up other unrelated cases is a diversionary tactic and an indirect defense of Gruden.
bear2be2
boognish_bear said:

This is a very fair point.
boognish_bear
Osodecentx
historian said:

Is there a statute of limitations on stupid acts? Should society expunge all inconvenient utterances?

MLK and his women? Clinton and bimbo eruptions? Robert Byrd and the KKK?
LBJ used the N word a lot.
JFK and his WH liaisons?

Founder of Planned Parenthood wasn't very progressive on race.

Is there a statute of limitations?
Mitch Blood Green
Osodecentx said:

historian said:

Is there a statute of limitations on stupid acts? Should society expunge all inconvenient utterances?

JFK and his WH liaisons?

No statue of limitations. There is atonement and forgiveness but non of us get to tell out wives I've been faithful all month. Don't bother me with **** from last week.
Osodecentx
tommie said:

historian said:

Naw. He went there.
Should we look into your actions towards women when you were at Baylor or on the road 10 years ago?

Is there a statute of limitations on stupid acts?
Reverend
He was stupid, arrogant, etc. even if it was ten years+ ago. A lot of thoughts will ruin you if you write them out.

I imagine he's probably done some really good things in his career. That's not going to help him now.
Osodecentx
tommie said:

Osodecentx said:

historian said:

JFK and his WH liaisons?

No statue of limitations. There is atonement and forgiveness but non of us get to tell out wives I've been faithful all month. Don't bother me with **** from last week.
We're looking at 10 years ago, not last month
boognish_bear
From the NYT article:

Gruden's messages were sent to Bruce Allen, the former president of the Washington Football Team, and others, while he was working for ESPN as a color analyst during "Monday Night Football," the sports network's weekly prime-time telecast of N.F.L. games. In the emails, Gruden called the league's commissioner, Roger Goodell, a "f$ggot" and a "clueless anti football pssy" and said that Goodell should not have pressured Jeff Fisher, then the coach of the Rams, to draft "queers," a reference to Michael Sam, a gay player chosen by the team in 2014.

In numerous emails during a seven-year period ending in early 2018, Gruden criticized Goodell and the league for trying to reduce concussions and said that Eric Reid, a player who had demonstrated during the playing of the national anthem, should be fired. In several instances, Gruden used a homophobic slur to refer to Goodell and offensive language to describe some N.F.L. owners, coaches and journalists who cover the league.

But Gruden's behavior was not limited to 2011. Gruden exchanged emails with Allen and other men that included photos of women wearing only bikini bottoms, including one photo of two Washington team cheerleaders.

Gruden also criticized President Obama during his re-election campaign in 2012, as well as then-vice president Joe Biden, whom Gruden called a "nervous clueless p&ssy." He used similar words to describe Goodell and DeMaurice Smith, the executive director of the N.F.L. Players Association.

The league is already investigating Gruden as a result of another email he wrote to Allen in 2011 in which he used racist terms to describe Smith, who is Black.

In that email, Gruden, who is white and was working for ESPN at the time, criticized Smith's intelligence and used a racist trope to describe his face.

Mitch Blood Green
Osodecentx said:

tommie said:

historian said:

Naw. He went there.
Should we look into your actions towards women when you were at Baylor or on the road 10 years ago?

Is there a statute of limitations on stupid acts?

You can look. I'm good. And all my bad ( there is some) I'm accountable for it.

Personally, I believe we're all things. Like him, if my employer doesn't like it, they will let me go.
Robert Wilson
tommie said:

Osodecentx said:

historian said:

JFK and his WH liaisons?

OK, so when do we start mining all of the players' emails and text messages for anti-gay slurs, homophobic comments, racist comments, and mysoginistic comments? No SOL … so we go to high school? How many you think will be left?
Stefano DiMera
Sure you can..is Tommie in a leadership position? If so..dig as deep as you can..

Everyone you mentioned in your previous post is dead and from 50 yrs back..

This is 10 yrs old occuring over a span of 7 years.
Mitch Blood Green
Osodecentx said:

tommie said:

Osodecentx said:

historian said:

JFK and his WH liaisons?

But I've been faithful in October. Besides, is it really 10 years ago? Many of those words he used I dropped by 1980.
Osodecentx
Robert Wilson said:

tommie said:

Osodecentx said:

historian said:

JFK and his WH liaisons?

OK, so when do we start mining all of the players' emails and text messages for anti-gay slurs, homophobic comments, racist comments, and mysoginistic comments? No SOL … so we go to high school? How many you think will be left?
This genie isn't going back in the bottle. Let the social media mining begin.
Osodecentx
tommie said:

Osodecentx said:

tommie said:

Osodecentx said:

historian said:

JFK and his WH liaisons?

But I've been faithful in October. Besides, is it really 10 years ago? Many of those words he used I dropped by 1980.
Let's do a deep dive on your emails & text messages. I'm sure you're clean

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.