Football
Sponsored by

Gary Patterson Has No Plans to Make a Change, but TCU Should

5,799 Views | 48 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Redbrickbear
gobears20
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Staff
https://medium.com/@MattAJennings/gary-patterson-has-no-plans-to-make-a-change-but-tcu-should-2f855c819460

gobears20
Staff
TCU football coach Gary Patterson goes on the defensive again

https://www.star-telegram.com/sports/college/big-12/texas-christian-university/article255115007.html#storylink=cpy
PartyBear
I hear the guy regarding the off field incidents involving assault etc. but he sounds like the real argument is that Patterson isn't winning enough. Patterson's program has won 70% of its games over past 20 and a half seasons. If the argument is that he is t winning enough that is asinine. Patterson has this guy thinking like a UT guy. TCU has no business firing someone with a .700 winning pct. over 2 decades on the grounds they aren't winning enough.
Griz
So is what he did 15 years ago worth more now than the last few years?
BUmoneymaker
I hope he stays there forever. Screw em all

"I hope" -Red

"Apply yourself" -W.White

"Guys, who is Keyser Soze?" - K. Soze

"Tea. Earl Grey. Hot." -J.L. Picard
DanaDane
Gary Patterson is 49-39 in the Big 12 for a 55% winning percentage.

He's only had winning records in the Big 12 in 4 of his 9 seasons, and well on his way of being only 4 of 10 seasons. Without the two year stretch with Boykin, he'd likely be 2 of 10.

This ain't the Mountain West and no one gives a chit today that he beat New Mexico, San Diego St. and Fresno St. 15 years ago. Actually, no one cares that he won a Rose Bowl a decade ago. Expectations move forward, not backward when you're one of the 10-15 highest paid coaches in college football.
ScottS
Southtown Ford
South on 35
Alsbury exit
Fort Worth
SoonerFrogs
ScottS said:

Southtown Ford
South on 35
Alsbury exit
Fort Worth

I gigged. Quite a catchy jingle
vanillabryce
Imagine making $6MM per year and running a football program, then reacting like that to an article on Medium.

Coaches always preach focus, and blocking out the noise. He can't do what he asks his own players to do.

Patterson shows that, like when it comes to diet and exercise, he's got no discipline.
BUWaco
You got a great quarterback, you win; you don't, you don't.
John Hawk
DanaDane said:

Gary Patterson is 49-39 in the Big 12 for a 55% winning percentage.
The point is he is 49-39 AT TCU. They wouldn't be anywhere close to that with anyone else If they dump him, they are dumping themselves right to the bottom of the conference. So I hope they do.
Stefano DiMera
Is he still Mormon? Thought I read he knocked up a coed when he coached at Utah St and married her and converted d to LDS.

Then divorced her when he got to TCU.
vanillabryce
I'd like to recommend Larry Fedora as his replacement
PartyBear
His record is better than that over all since joining the conf. Something like 72-47 as a XII HC. The w-l record mentioned earlier is just his literal XII record. I don't know that they necessarily revert back when he is gone, KSU hasn't post Snyder. But a lot of folks here don't understand how bad TCU was for close to 4 decades prior to Patterson.
RegentCoverup
gobears20 said:

https://medium.com/@MattAJennings/gary-patterson-has-no-plans-to-make-a-change-but-tcu-should-2f855c819460

Fair article.

Patterson is out of touch with the university and society that once supported him. He's too power mad to understand that leaders have greater responsibility.

There are multiple stories similar to Listenbees that Jennifer Engel has sat on.

This site leaks private information to Baylor Regents and Administration
DST
PartyBear said:

I hear the guy regarding the off field incidents involving assault etc. but he sounds like the real argument is that Patterson isn't winning enough. Patterson's program has won 70% of its games over past 20 and a half seasons. If the argument is that he is t winning enough that is asinine. Patterson has this guy thinking like a UT guy. TCU has no business firing someone with a .700 winning pct. over 2 decades on the grounds they aren't winning enough.
Gary Patterson gets paid top 10 money to field a top 50 team.

If I were a TCU fan, I don't know if I'd be pushing for him to get fired, but I can see where some of them are coming from. And it's more like when he isn't winning, it becomes hard to ignore how overpaid he is along with all the off-the-field issues he and TCU have.
ScottS
True they are not getting a good ROI now.
Russell Gym
Stefano DiMera said:

Is he still Mormon? Thought I read he knocked up a coed when he coached at Utah St and married her and converted d to LDS.

Then divorced her when he got to TCU.

Interesting, I've never heard this.
PartyBear
As of 2019 he and his wife apparently have a foundation for under privileged children. They have 3 sons and a couple of grand kids. I doubt what has been posted here is true. I have no idea whether he is Mormon, the information didnt say. It doesnt matter anyway.
CougarFrog
Gary became a Mormon while married to his first wife. Gary and his 1st wife divorced and he remarried after he came to Ft. Worth.

Gary's kids went to BYU.

In the pre-B12 days, Gary would comp 150 LDS missionaries when BYU played at TCU. He had some contact with the local LDS church but didn't attend ever.

While in the MWC, Gary kept a BYU helmet on the tackling dummies year round, except during the season when they had a different opponent that week. This was a little strange as Utah was an equal foe and had similar success against TCU. The 08 loss on the final play at Utah sent Utah to the Sugar Bowl instead of TCU. As such, the anger towards BYU was more than on the field competition.
RegentCoverup
CougarFrog said:

Gary became a Mormon while married to his first wife. Gary and his 1st wife divorced and he remarried after he came to Ft. Worth.

Gary's kids went to BYU.

In the pre-B12 days, Gary would comp 150 LDS missionaries when BYU played at TCU. He had some contact with the local LDS church but didn't attend ever.

While in the MWC, Gary kept a BYU helmet on the tackling dummies year round, except during the season when they had a different opponent that week. This was a little strange as Utah was an equal foe and had similar success against TCU. The 08 loss on the final play at Utah sent Utah to the Sugar Bowl instead of TCU. As such, the anger towards BYU was more than on the field competition.
He also funded the Fort Worth youth symphony. Sometthing Art Briles never grasped.

I'm happy to give him credit for some very positive things he's done.

But For every step forward he takes, he seems to take a step back.
Harrison Bergeron
My first thought: who is Matt Jennings and why does anyone care what the thinks?

My second thought: TCU would be crazy to fire Fatterson.
PartyBear
Harrison Bergeron said:

My first thought: who is Matt Jennings and why does anyone care what the thinks?

My second thought: TCU would be crazy to fire Fatterson.
Yes they would be and unless there are off field issues that are really bad, I'm sure they (the administration) dont have any interest at this time in parting ways and trying to find someone else. Furthermore it would probably take Patterson stringing together several consecutive mediocre seasons before they felt it was in their interest to do so. I suspect most ADs would probably say the most stressful part of their job is hiring a new football coach because their own tenure rides on it. I doubt most ADs enjoy doing that.
vanillabryce
TellMeYouLoveMe said:

CougarFrog said:

Gary's kids went to BYU.

He also funded the Fort Worth youth symphony. Sometthing Art Briles never grasped.

I'm happy to give him credit for some very positive things he's done.

But For every step forward he takes, he seems to take a step back.

Can you imagine if Briles grasped the youth symphony??? Texas Monthly would be all over it.
Stefano DiMera
Why would you doubt me?
gobears20
Staff
TCU needs to be careful or they might end up like Tech. What number of Coach are they on?
PartyBear
About the same number we are on.
CougarFrog
The problem for TCU is Gary is too big for the program and university. He seems lazy in his coaching, especially defense. He is arrogant and petulant and blames everyone else for his failures. His coaching staff is full of sycophants and not doing their jobs effectively. Given the talent level, his teams are underperforming.

Yeah, if he gets run off, there is a risk. He just refuses to adapt his defense to the current era. But what worked in 2009 isn't going to work in 2021. Saban has adapted. Patterson has not.

A very large portion of the TCU fanbase is willing to risk the post-Gary era. But it will only happen when the big donors intervene....
Bear2014
I hope tcu becomes the new doormat of the big 12. become the new Kansas, but for longer. a huge portion of their fanbase have picked up on his arrogance and think they're the salt of the earth. its definitely a UT-lite vibe for me
RegentCoverup
Whether TCU wants to keep him or not, his reputation with recruits has hit the bottom.

For that reason, I hope they keep him!
Baylorbear88
Stefano DiMera said:

Is he still a Moron?
FIFY and yes.
Stefano DiMera
The selection committee would call this a bad bad loss if they can't pull this one out.
DanaDane
Chalk up yet another loss for Patterson AT HOME by DOUBLE DIGITS to an AWFUL WVU squad which had ZERO conference wins. Frogs well on their way to finishing in 8th or 9th place. Yet we will still have fans and media who think he's still great in 2021 because of that big Poinsettia Bowl victory over Northern Illinois in 2006.
Robert Wilson
TCU is now 3-4

Games remaining at ksu, Baylor, at osu, KU, at isu

They likely have to beat us in Fort Worth to have a shot at bowl eligibility
IowaBear
Which means will get their A+ game. However, they'll be3-5 after next week. Hopefully that'll break TCU's spirit for the year
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.