Football
Sponsored by

Oct. 21, 1978

1,321 Views | 6 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Johnny Bear
gobears20
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Staff
saabing bear
I think that TD pass was the lonely end play. We ran a play into the middle of the line, then lined up quickly before A&M could get their D set and passed to a WR who had never come back to the huddle.
fegrhj
We ran a play into the middle of the line

Speed Test

McCavebear
I was at that game.

Baylor killed tamu all day with the old Statue of Liberty play.

aggy didn't know what hit 'em.

Sunday WTH headline after the game:

"BEARS MAUL AGGIES"
McCavebear Lives!
Johnny Bear
saabing bear said:

I think that TD pass was the lonely end play. We ran a play into the middle of the line, then lined up quickly before A&M could get their D set and passed to a WR who had never come back to the huddle.

Correct - the second play from scrimmage after we received the opening kickoff. The WR that caught it and went the distance was Robert "Radar" Holt. BU came into that game at 0-4 with close gut wrenching type losses to Georgia, Ohio State, Kentucky, and UH (the first 3 we're on the road and Kentucky/UH both had tough teams at that time). By either the Sunday after or the following Monday the aggys canned their HC at that time - Emory Ballard.
Saddle Up!
I was there, too, and happened to be sitting exactly even with the Statue of Liberty handoff to Abercrombie, and he went untouched. If memory serves, he didn't get into the game until the 2nd quarter, so he got the 207 in only 3 quarters!
whitetrash
Johnny Bear said:

saabing bear said:

Correct - the second play from scrimmage after we received the opening kickoff. The WR that caught it and went the distance was Robert "Radar" Holt. BU came into that game at 0-4 with close gut wrenching type losses to Georgia, Ohio State, Kentucky, and UH (the first 3 we're on the road and Kentucky/UH both had tough teams at that time). By either the Sunday after or the following Monday the aggys canned their HC at that time - Emory Ballard.

We were 0-5 going to CS. Lost by 2 @ UGA, 4 @ Kentucky, 6 @ OhioSt, 2 at home to UH, and 7 at home to SMU (after being up 21-0 at half).
Johnny Bear
whitetrash said:

Johnny Bear said:

saabing bear said:

We were 0-5 going to CS. Lost by 2 @ UGA, 4 @ Kentucky, 6 @ OhioSt, 2 at home to UH, and 7 at home to SMU (after being up 21-0 at half).
You're right - forgot about blowing that home game to SMU which was the only loss of the 5 to a weak team. Of all the frustrating seasons we've had that one had to be at or near the top of the list. Ended up winning only 3 that season, but 2 of the 3 were UT and the aggys.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.