Football
Sponsored by

Gundy gets a perpetual 5-year deal

1,929 Views | 22 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by SIC EM 94
Jayman1963
How long do you want to ignore this user?
https://bleacherreport.com/articles/10015761-mike-gundy-oklahoma-state-agree-to-perpetual-5-year-contract-terms-not-disclosed

Didn't realize he took a $1M a year pay cut during Covid
BaylorGrad09
I guess they have to have a number on there in case there's a need to fire or buyout his contract, but essentially he has a very well paying job for as long he wants to work.
parch
What a martyr, reducing his yearly contract from the price of a 13,000 square foot mansion to a 10,000 square foot mansion. Someone give this man a humanitarian award.
SIC EM 94
parch said:

What a martyr, reducing his yearly contract from the price of a 13,000 square foot mansion to a 10,000 square foot mansion. Someone give this man a humanitarian award.

Are there numerous other coaches that took a pay cut? While it may be what you consider an insignificant amount, it's more than what others were willing to do.
parch
A ton of coaches took pay cuts during COVID. Dabo, Herman, Ryan Day, Norvell, more than I can count. In fact, it's been more the rule than the exception. Plenty of examples of guys making less than Gundy taking larger pay cuts, too, and this is the first I've read of an AD parading their coach in public for taking a paycut while athletic staffs and universities writ large were laying off people left and right who made an iota of the HC's salary. Just a really weird and myopic flex.
DanaDane
He didn't take it because of COVID. He did it after coming under fire for the OAN tshirt incident and as part of a way to calm Chuba Hubbard and several other players, on top of several other misfires with the administration..
Timbear
Boy, that OAN t-shirt really limited Hubbard's opportunities on the field and in the classroom. Glad they got rid of that! (Srcsm)
Stefano DiMera
Gary Patterson too.
Aliceinbubbleland
His record would be outstanding if he could ever get by OU.
bear2be2
Aliceinbubbleland said:

He's done a great job at Oklahoma State. They've been the clear No. 2 program in the Big 12 over the past decade. Their highs are as high and their lows are much higher than any program in the conference not named OU.
BearlyBeloved
I like Mike.

OSU is smart to keep him.

vanillabryce
bear2be2 said:

Aliceinbubbleland said:

He's done a great job at Oklahoma State. They've been the clear No. 2 program in the Big 12 over the past decade. Their highs are as high and their lows are much higher than any program in the conference not named OU.

Baylor has 2 conference titles to their one during that stretch plus a Heisman. We have a couple of bad seasons, but I take BU over their 10 year run. They can compete with KSU or TCU for third.
bear2be2
vanillabryce said:

bear2be2 said:

Aliceinbubbleland said:

Baylor has 2 conference titles to their one during that stretch plus a Heisman. We have a couple of bad seasons, but I take BU over their 10 year run. They can compete with KSU or TCU for third.
This will likely be Gundy's seventh 10-win season since 2010. Their worst record in that stretch is 7-6. There's no competition with KSU or TCU for anything. Oklahoma State has been head and shoulders above both. And while you can make a case for our last 10 years, they've been far more consistent. They've finished worse than third in the Big 12 just twice since 2009.
historian
We also have a pretty good winning record against them over the past several years: 2012, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2018, & 2019.
“Incline my heart to your testimonies, and not to selfish gain!”
Psalm 119:36
bear2be2
historian said:

We also have a pretty good winning record against them over the past several years: 2012, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2018, & 2019.
That speaks highly of the Baylor program, which has had a nice run of its own under multiple coaches. But the records are what they are, and Oklahoma State gets criminally underrated nationally because they can't beat their archrival.
vanillabryce
bear2be2 said:

vanillabryce said:

bear2be2 said:

Aliceinbubbleland said:

This will likely be Gundy's seventh 10-win season since 2010. Their worst record in that stretch is 7-6. There's no competition with KSU or TCU for anything. Oklahoma State has been head and shoulders above both. And while you can make a case for our last 10 years, they've been far more consistent. They've finished worse than third in the Big 12 just twice since 2009.

I'll take our 10 v their 10. OSU has yet to make a B12 title game. Consistency is great, but conference championships matter and that's why they're #3 or lower in my book.

Gundy is 2-14 v OU. And one of those Stoops gave to him by re-kicking to Tyreek Hill.

Maybe with his new deal he won flirt with Arkansas, Tennessee, Baylor, etc this off season.
bear2be2
vanillabryce said:

bear2be2 said:

vanillabryce said:

bear2be2 said:

Aliceinbubbleland said:

I'll take our 10 v their 10. OSU has yet to make a B12 title game. Consistency is great, but conference championships matter and that's why they're #3 or lower in my book.

Gundy is 2-14 v OU. And one of those Stoops gave to him by re-kicking to Tyreek Hill.

Maybe with his new deal he won flirt with Arkansas, Tennessee, Baylor, etc this off season.
Oklahoma State won an outright conference title and a major bowl game in 2011, for the only 12-win season for either team. Their high is higher than Baylor's, their low is considerably higher and they've been more consistent in between. I love what Baylor has done since about 2009. But Oklahoma State's record speaks for itself. Gundy deserves far more respect than he receives for what he's built and sustained in Stillwater.
EvilTroyAndAbed
Timbear said:

Boy, that OAN t-shirt really limited Hubbard's opportunities on the field and in the classroom. Glad they got rid of that! (Srcsm)
The OAN shirt just made him look like an idiot.
EvilTroyAndAbed
vanillabryce said:

Why would he flirt with any of those teams? They're all on the rise (recent games for Arky and Tennessee notwithstanding).
Aberzombie1892
bear2be2 said:

vanillabryce said:

bear2be2 said:

vanillabryce said:

bear2be2 said:

Aliceinbubbleland said:

Oklahoma State won an outright conference title and a major bowl game in 2011, for the only 12-win season for either team. Their high is higher than Baylor's, their low is considerably higher and they've been more consistent in between. I love what Baylor has done since about 2009. But Oklahoma State's record speaks for itself. Gundy deserves far more respect than he receives for what he's built and sustained in Stillwater.

This. I don't like Gundy, but he's extremely underrated and his Oklahoma State program has been the backbone of the 10 team Big 12 since its inception.
vanillabryce
EvilTroyAndAbed said:

vanillabryce said:

Why would he flirt with any of those teams? They're all on the rise (recent games for Arky and Tennessee notwithstanding).

Not really sure what you mean by that, but in the past he (his agent at the least) has had convos with those teams. In fact, word was that he wanted to go to Tennessee and his wife nixed it.
EvilTroyAndAbed
vanillabryce said:

EvilTroyAndAbed said:

vanillabryce said:

Not really sure what you mean by that, but in the past he (his agent at the least) has had convos with those teams. In fact, word was that he wanted to go to Tennessee and his wife nixed it.
But none of those teams are looking for a coach. If he called them now, they'd hang up.
vanillabryce
EvilTroyAndAbed said:

vanillabryce said:

EvilTroyAndAbed said:

vanillabryce said:

But none of those teams are looking for a coach. If he called them now, they'd hang up.

No ***** It was a commentary of his past behavior citing specific schools.
SIC EM 94
EvilTroyAndAbed said:

Timbear said:

The OAN shirt just made him look like an idiot.

The only idiots are the ones that got offended by a t-shirt someone wore on a damn fishing trip.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.