Football
Sponsored by

Just watched the McGuire press conference..

9,702 Views | 89 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Bakersdozen
Stefano DiMera
How long do you want to ignore this user?
... observations and takeaways..

Already has a Tech connection... daughter graduated in 2018 from there.

Owes this opportunity he said to Matt Rhule..one of his best friends..talked to him last night and during the plane ride this morning.

Said he stays in one place a while..said he plans to die in Lubbock.

'Tech will be the hardest nose competitive hardest working team in the country and we will play defense'
DanaDane
"I will die here at Texas Tech." -- Joey McGuire

Guess he won't be in the running if Aranda leaves in a few years.
PartyBear
DanaDane said:

I never thought he would be even prior to yesterday's news.

The "i'll be here until I die" statement was probably advised by Rhule on the flight to Lubbock. LOL.
parch
I never know what does and does not resonate with recruits these days when it comes to coach behavior. Certainly lots of enthusiasm with the Raider Power chant and the "I'm gonna die here" thing. Also mentioned he values people with relationship-building skills over X's and O's, which I thought was interesting.

One thing we know is that he and Aranda present as 180 degrees different to recruits. Aranda's the calm, calculated tactician. Joey's more of the rah-rah personality type. We'll see how that comes to bear on the recruiting trail over the years.
Limited IQ Redneck in PU
Coach speak
DanaDane
Wasn't there a coach several years ago who allegedly declared in a TV interview "they'll have to care me out of here in a pine box" and then he was gone 2 days later to another job?
Bear8084
DanaDane said:

Wasn't there a coach several years ago who allegedly declared in a TV interview "they'll have to care me out of here in a pine box" and then he was gone 2 days later to another job?

Yup. The same one that left a confused recruit the check at the table.
DanaDane
Oh man. That's right. Tuberville!!!!!!!! It figures.
Stefano DiMera
What you saw today was to appeal to the fan base..which is smart... every one needs to be pulling on the same rope.. unlike that school to our south.

He wants them to pack that stadium...that place can be a tough place to play when full..the basketball arena sure is .
DST
Bear8084 said:

DanaDane said:

Yup. The same one that left a confused recruit the check at the table.
TT slipping out the back of that restaurant is one of the best recruiting stories lost to the years.

I remember there being a crazy video in Korean about how absurd it was.
BUBBFAN
PartyBear said:

DanaDane said:

The "i'll be here until I die" statement was probably advised by Rhule on the flight to Lubbock. LOA
Amazing how you know the mind of others, Can you teach that?
bear2be2
DanaDane said:

Tuberville is a known ****heel. Nothing in McGuire's past would suggest he is.
PartyBear
BUBBFAN said:

PartyBear said:

DanaDane said:

The "i'll be here until I die" statement was probably advised by Rhule on the flight to Lubbock. LOA
You will first have to explain what the hell you mean, where is it you think I was claiming to read someone's mind other than my own? LMAO!!!
br53
Lubbock is where his coaching career will die.
Golden Helmet
I have known Joey since he started at Cedar Hill coaching 9th Graders.

He is everything he represents or represented in this Presser mentioned here.

He's not lying or embellishing - he's never been a job hopper....and if they'll have him - he will retire in Lubbock.

He would have done the same no matter the name of the University.

He's high school loyal and a Texan to the end.
br53
Golden Helmet said:

I have known Joey since he started at Cedar Hill coaching 9th Graders.

He is everything he represents or represented in this Presser mentioned here.

He's not lying or embellishing - he's never been a job hopper....and if they'll have him - he will retire in Lubbock.

He would have done the same no matter the name of the University.

He's high school loyal and a Texan to the end.
He would have said that his daughter graduated from any university? Who is he Tom Herman?
bear2be2
br53 said:

Joey McGuire turned a Cedar Hill program that had never won a playoff game into a perennial power. I doubt he's afraid of a challenge.
Robert Wilson
I think he's going to do at least pretty well there.
br53
bear2be2 said:

br53 said:

Joey McGuire turned a Cedar Hill program that had never won a playoff game into a perennial power. I doubt he's afraid of a challenge.
Cedar Hill aint Lubbock
BUBBFAN
PartyBear said:

BUBBFAN said:

PartyBear said:

DanaDane said:

You will first have to explain what the hell you mean, where is it you think I was claiming to read someone's mind other than my own? LMAO!!!
bear2be2
br53 said:

bear2be2 said:

br53 said:

Cedar Hill aint Lubbock
For all intents and purposes, it basically was for a long time. They had some decent years with a first-round playoff ceiling for decades and decades before he got there. He changed that quickly.

If Joey can keep the West Texas studs in West Texas and recruit the DFW area well, Tech's talent level is going to rise in a hurry. It doesn't take much to get from the 50s to the mid 30s nationally in recruiting. And at that point, they're basically equals with the TCUs, Baylors and Oklahoma States athletically.
PartyBear
BUBBFAN said:

PartyBear said:

BUBBFAN said:

PartyBear said:

DanaDane said:

Seriously what the hell? For one is was what I thought was an obvious joke but even if it was serious there is no claim to be reading anyone's mind.
Chamberman
Stefano DiMera said:

Said he stays in one place a while..said he plans to die in Lubbock.
So when he's .450 in six years he expects the fan base to kill him?
Robert Wilson
bear2be2 said:

br53 said:

bear2be2 said:

br53 said:

Cedar Hill aint Lubbock
For all intents and purposes, it basically was for a long time. They had some decent years with a first-round playoff ceiling for decades and decades before he got there. He changed that quickly.

If Joey can keep the West Texas studs in West Texas and recruit the DFW area well, Tech's talent level is going to rise in a hurry. It doesn't take much to get from the 50s to the mid 30s nationally in recruiting. And that point, they're basically equals with the TCUs, Baylors and Oklahoma States athletically.
Yep. Doesn't take *that* many players. If he can keep all the good West Texas athletes at home and can create a pipeline from Cedar Hill and some other DFW schools where he has relationships, he will have enough to do what he needs to do.

If I was a Tech fan, I'd have loved hearing him say 'We are gonna have a brand. My wife could come up here and recite it. We are gonna be the toughest, hardest working, most competitive team in the country. That's our brand. Tough teams are hard to beat."

Keep it simple. Repeatable. His wife has heard him say it a thousand times. Drill it into everyone's head. Make them believe it. That formula plus recruiting classes in the 30s and he will be making noise.
bear2be2
Robert Wilson said:

bear2be2 said:

br53 said:

bear2be2 said:

br53 said:

Cedar Hill aint Lubbock

If Joey can keep the West Texas studs in West Texas and recruit the DFW area well, Tech's talent level is going to rise in a hurry. It doesn't take much to get from the 50s to the mid 30s nationally in recruiting. And that point, they're basically equals with the TCUs, Baylors and Oklahoma States athletically.
Yep. Doesn't take *that* many players. If he can keep all the good West Texas athletes at home and can create a pipeline from Cedar Hill and some other DFW schools where he has relationships, he will have enough to do what he needs to do.

If I was a Tech fan, I'd have loved hearing him say 'We are gonna have a brand. My wife could come up here and recite it. We are gonna be the toughest, hardest working, most competitive team in the country. That's our brand. Tough teams are hard to beat."

Keep it simple. Repeatable. His wife has heard him say it a thousand times. Drill it into everyone's head. Make them believe it. That formula plus recruiting classes in the 30s and he will be making noise.
A lot of what he talked about philosophically was straight out of the Matt Rhule playbook. He's gained some really valuable experience the past five years under a couple of very good, thoughtful head coaches. Add that to what he brought to Baylor from his time at Cedar Hill, and I think there's a good chance he builds a sustainable product at Tech.
whitetrash
br53 said:

If he fails like his predecessors, his options would include:

1) NFL head coach
2) US Senator
3) one of the most successful head coaches in FCS history
4) plane crash
bear2be2
whitetrash said:

br53 said:

1) NFL head coach
2) US Senator
4) plane crash
That's quite a roulette game.
br53
bear2be2 said:

whitetrash said:

br53 said:

1) NFL head coach
2) US Senator
4) plane crash
I am starting to think some of yall need to go get your Tech Shirts and hats.
bear2be2
br53 said:

bear2be2 said:

whitetrash said:

br53 said:

1) NFL head coach
2) US Senator
4) plane crash
Unlike the Briles crazies here who would root for him over Baylor, the Bears will always be my No. 1 rooting interest. But just as I can walk and chew gum at the same time, I can also recognize the positive attributes Joey McGuire brings to the table and wish him well at his next post without abandoning my one true loyalty.

I hope Joey builds a winner at Tech that loses every game it plays against Baylor.

And regardless of what I hope, I think Joey McGuire's a really good football coach who will find a way to succeed at Tech.
Russell Gym
br53 said:

bear2be2 said:

whitetrash said:

br53 said:

1) NFL head coach
2) US Senator
4) plane crash

Quite a few here just put their Tech shirts away … maybe just borrow those?
no-one

Quote:

If that is his mantra, then at TT, he will have a very successful career. West Texans pride themselves as being exceptionally tough and hard workers, and yes, they are very competitive people. So, if he can recruit West Texans, and the Dallas-Ft Worth area, then he is one to watch.
Golden Helmet
Needs to pull some Oklahoma sleepers too.

EvilTroyAndAbed
br53 said:

bear2be2 said:

whitetrash said:

br53 said:

1) NFL head coach
2) US Senator
4) plane crash
Dude, chill out.
LIB,MR BEARS
br53 said:

bear2be2 said:

whitetrash said:

br53 said:

1) NFL head coach
2) US Senator
4) plane crash
you're right. They are now my second favorite team and it's all because of Joey.
ImABearToo
Love Joey but it's still Tech and it's still Lubbock.
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.