Football
Sponsored by

OK, aren't UT and OU playing in the Big 12 until 2025?

3,521 Views | 26 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Mr Tulip
Pecos 45
How long do you want to ignore this user?
"I want to reiterate we will be in the Big 12 for the foreseeable future. 2025 is our intention," Texas athletic director Chris Del Conte said at the regents meeting.

"We look forward to the Sooners and Longhorns competing in our conference starting in the 2025-26 academic year." SEC Commissioner Greg Sankey

What am I missing?
“If you have a job without aggravations, you don’t have a job.”
Malcolm Forbes
BylrFan
Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me
BylrFan
$80 million dollar exit fee which decreases by $20 million every year.

Knowning OU/UT, you can put little trust to what they say
EvilTroyAndAbed
I think the worst kept secret is that they'll be gone after the 2022-23 season.
CTbruin
BylrFan said:

$80 million dollar exit fee which decreases by $20 million every year.

Knowning OU/UT, you can put little trust to what they say

The exit fee does not decrease. That is fact.

The "grant of TV rights" expires in 2025. Separate from the exit fee.
Freedomb3ar
If Somehow they lay the full fee for Leaving early that will be a first anywhere

Not happening
CTbruin
And I disagree
CTbruin
My sources on this are good.

If they leave early, it will require the full exit fee plus "buying " out of the grant of rights
Osodecentx
CTbruin said:

If they leave early, it will require the full exit fee plus "buying " out of the grant of rights
Could it be a negotiating tactic? They want to be gone, we want them gone?
boognish_bear
Married A Horn
If they dont leave we will have an interesting conference at 14 for a short time.
historian
I think Bowlsby has already discussed that possibility. If it happens, it's only for 1-2 years.
“Incline my heart to your testimonies, and not to selfish gain!”
Psalm 119:36
DaRealBears
EvilTroyAndAbed said:

Agreed. No way they stay and let some "group of 5 schools" kick their asses.
BUGWBBear
Pecos 45 said:

"I want to reiterate we will be in the Big 12 for the foreseeable future. 2025 is our intention," Texas athletic director Chris Del Conte said at the regents meeting.

"We look forward to the Sooners and Longhorns competing in our conference starting in the 2025-26 academic year." SEC Commissioner Greg Sankey

What am I missing?

You might be right, which is why we need to kill them in every sport each year they insist on staying in this conference.
historian
And every time we play them after, if that happens.
Oldbear83
We should put up a sign at all our events, reading:

THIS EVENT MAY BE ATTENDED ONLY BY BIG XII MEMBERS, FAMILY AND SUPPORTERS.

NO LIVESTOCK.
That which does not kill me, will try again and get nastier
boognish_bear
JP1037
Osodecentx said:

CTbruin said:

We want them gone, but its no big deal to us whether the do or don't ahead of schedule.

I heard Bowlsby say with my own ears a couple of months ago "No negotiating". Things can change but I think he meant it.

I think we have unanimous agreement we don't want to give them an inch on what they owe us. Screw them. Pay us everything or stay in a league you don't want and a league that doesn't want you.
Shakesbear
JP1037 said:

Osodecentx said:

CTbruin said:

We want them gone, but its no big deal to us whether the do or don't ahead of schedule.

I heard Bowlsby say with my own ears a couple of months ago "No negotiating". Things can change but I think he meant it.

I think we have unanimous agreement we don't want to give them an inch on what they owe us. Screw them. Pay us everything or stay in a league you don't want and a league that doesn't want you.

And just when did bowling ball become a vertbrate.?
Retreat Hell! We just got here! The 2/5
dstaylor57
Texas does not want to go until they get a footing in the Big 12. They will use the SEC recruiting angle until they have a full roster of 4-5 stars. They want to dominate the big 12 one last time before they go. It will take at least two years to get there so I dont see them leaving.
SMack
Bob Bowlsby talks a good game now, but I don't trust him.

He's been a shill for UT and OU for almost a decade. It is a mystery to me that he continues to be employed by the conference.
Pecos 45
Reason I started this thread is because I had posted a while back that after we beat UT, we needed to do it again on their next visit to McLane, but several people said that this would be UT's last appearance in our stadium.
I thought I had read that they, and OU, were staying until 2025, which would mean at least one more visit.

The quotes I posted to start this thread SEEM to confirm a return trip for the Horns and Sooners, but some of you are saying that the two schools will pay the penalties and leave early.

Just trying to get a grip on what will happen, but apparently that's vaporware.

None of this makes any sense to me, particularly because UT is a state school and how it can harm its own state is beyond me. The other is that I'm only seeing a bigger payout on the TV money as the only benefit for joining the SEC. As proof I offer A&M and Arkansas. Neither has won a conference championship nor "reached the next level" since their departure.

As a matter of fact, the only movement for both schools has been lateral.
(Much like a flat line.)
“If you have a job without aggravations, you don’t have a job.”
Malcolm Forbes
historian
It's a valid question and the answer is no one really knows. As I understand it, there are two facts opposed to each other:

1) The traitors want out as quick as possible and will do everything in their power to accomplish that goal unless it costs more money. That's why some people insist they will stick around until 2025.

2) The Big 12 holds all the legal clout in any negotiations and have no intentions of giving them any break (pay up!!). Bowlsby publicly stated that he personally felt betrayed. Also, the remaining 8 schools are solidly united on maintaining and strengthening the conference. They are adding 4 new members as soon as possible and the future looks pretty bright without OU & UT.

Add to this the fact that the entire conference wants to punish them for their deceit and betrayal and is thoroughly enjoying their current misery: neither will compete for the conference title this year, Texas won't even go to a bowl game, and chants of "SEC, SEC, SEC" every time either lost a game. Lots of Schadenfreude.

The playoffs will be especially delicious if somehow Oklahoma State and Cincinnati both get in but only Georgia represents the SEC. With Riley bailing on OU & the constant threat of the transfer portal, both are facing an uncertain future. The ultimate coup would be if one of the new Big 12 teams were to beat Georgia and make it to the championship game, something OU has never done. But this is a speculative dream.
Ocbear
historian said:

It's a valid question and the answer is no one really knows. As I understand it, there are two facts opposed to each other:

1) The traitors want out as quick as possible and will do everything in their power to accomplish that goal unless it costs more money. That's why some people insist they will stick around until 2025.

2) The Big 12 holds all the legal clout in any negotiations and have no intentions of giving them any break (pay up!!). Bowlsby publicly stated that he personally felt betrayed. Also, the remaining 8 schools are solidly united on maintaining and strengthening the conference. They are adding 4 new members as soon as possible and the future looks pretty bright without OU & UT.

Add to this the fact that the entire conference wants to punish them for their deceit and betrayal and is thoroughly enjoying their current misery: neither will compete for the conference title this year, Texas won't even go to a bowl game, and chants of "SEC, SEC, SEC" every time either lost a game. Lots of Schadenfreude.

The playoffs will be especially delicious if somehow BAYLOR and Cincinnati both get in but only Georgia represents the SEC. With Riley bailing on OU & the constant threat of the transfer portal, both are facing an uncertain future. The ultimate coup would be if one of the new Big 12 teams were to beat Georgia and make it to the championship game, something OU has never done. But this is a speculative dream.
FIFY
historian
I don't believe a 2 loss team will get in. If that ever did happen, then it would be Bama. Even they were left out a couple years ago for that reason.
FLBear5630
boognish_bear said:

They do not go by records. UT will say we made more money, we win. They really have no soul in Austin. All about dollars...
CutTheTVoff
DaRealBears said:

EvilTroyAndAbed said:

Agreed. No way they stay and let some "group of 5 schools" kick their asses.
Houston is probably hoping to get a few licks in on horn before they defect.
Mr Tulip
There would be a lot of legal ramifications to CDC saying, "Our contract expires in 2025, but we intend to leave next season.". Everyone knows Texas and OU aren't sticking around that long, but you can't come right out and say you intend to breach a contract.

I'm no one's contract attorney (or any other kind of attorney for that matter), and this is where the legal dudes meet and start debating. One side considers the performance or liquidated damages of the contract. The other side considers the futility of suing a state entity. Ultimately, a number and time frame will be reached.

I'm losing confidence in moving before the 2022-23 season, but no one updates me on the debate. It may happen tomorrow.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.