Football
Sponsored by

Aranda "...for a very long time."

3,843 Views | 36 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Dia del DougO
TomW
How long do you want to ignore this user?
hey32g
I hope so!
Johnny Bear
That sounds positive. Hopefully recruits will take note and the news will be more positive on that front in the near future.
GoodOleBaylorLine
Music to my ears.
gobears20
Staff
Jack Bauer
They look happy...

JP1037
When Baylor fits it really fits. I think this is the message that will help us continue the success on and off the field hopefully with Aranda but even without him if we must.

Scott Drew is the master of finding kids who want faith and sports and then supporting that desire above and beyond winning or losing.

As the world turns away from Christ, the support for one's faith journey at Baylor is incredibly unique. And when one is committed to Baylor because of its mission of a Christian School it motivates you unlike anything else. Not all kids will buy in on that 100% but many do. And we stand alone on that mission in the P5 D1 world. All we need is the leaders to make that mission real in the lives of kids and parents who seek it.

Obviously Aranda understands that. As does Scott Drew. I see good things ahead as long as we don't screw it up.
Shakesbear
Jack Bauer said:

They look happy...

Has anyone ever seen Dave this happy? With his family around him???
Retreat Hell! We just got here! The 2/5
historian
Amen! I've seen it from our MBB teams over the past few years.
Jack Bauer
Looks like we can breathe now until at least next December...

1845_Society
TomW said:

Mack will f it up, trust me.
He simply won't allow anyone being bigger than himself at the school.
Shakesbear
Jack Bauer said:

Looks like we can breathe now until at least next December...

OU desperately needs Venables in order to compete in the SEC
Retreat Hell! We just got here! The 2/5
SIC EM 94
1845_Society said:

TomW said:

You are such a clown…geez!
Jack Bauer
No more Major Coaching openings left until Sarkisian gets fired at Texas next November.
vanillabryce
1845_Society said:

TomW said:

So you're saying CSD should watch his back?
DST
1845_Society said:

TomW said:

Ah, I see the clown takes haven't let up.

Keep it going, Bobo the Clown.
CutTheTVoff
TomW said:

And he's only 45. Could be many great years of football ahead!
Media Bear
1845_Society said:

TomW said:

I believe this is yours:

Hee-hee, hee. Hee-hee, hee. Woo! -- Michael Jackson
A buppa-ba-ba, buppa-buppa-ba. -- Paula Abdul
Say yah-yah-yah. -- John Mellencamp
Ooh-ooh wee-oo ooh-ooh-ooh. -- Mick Jagger/Rolling Stones
De do-do-do. De da-da-da. Is all I want to say to you. -- Sting (Gordon Sumner)/The Police
Ramidi ma-ma ba-di-ma, ramidi ma-ma ba-din-doe. -- David Draiman/Disturbed
C-c-c-c-come on. -- George Michael
People on streets, ee-da-dee-da-dee-da-dee-da -- Freddie Mercury
TomW
Sounds like a negative mindset you must have.
1845_Society said:

TomW said:

BikerBear
Jack Bauer said:

No more Major Coaching openings left until Sarkisian gets fired at Texas next November.
September. Bama will wipe the floor with them on September 10th, which will quickly be forgiven, but then the next weekend they will lose to UTSA.
BearlyBeloved
Jack Bauer said:

They look happy...

For comparison, however:

Jacques Strap
I hope Aranda stays here for as long as that goal line stand will haunt OSU fans.
historian
Longer
blackie
1845_Society said:

TomW said:

No, he won't. In this case he is not dealing with a coach with the ego the size of Texas that thinks they are above everyone else. And, it has been a while since I was in the work force, but for all of my years, the boss was head of the department, not an individual worker. Where in the real world can you allow subordinates to call the shots? We are all replaceable. The Douglas Mcarthurs of the world don't overrule the President.

I don't see any indication from what I have heard Aranda say or someone else saying about him, that he has an ego that will generate friction with anyone or motivate him to believe anything other than that he is an employee of the company, one that should not expect the company to be run for him.
Jack Bauer
I hope Dave does not have an affinity for Pacific NW weather or Nike.
Franklins
blackie said:

1845_Society said:

TomW said:

No, he won't. In this case he is not dealing with a coach with the ego the size of Texas that thinks they are above everyone else. And, it has been a while since I was in the work force, but for all of my years, the boss was head of the department, not an individual worker. Where in the real world can you allow subordinates to call the shots? We are all replaceable. The Douglas Mcarthurs of the world don't overrule the President.

I don't see any indication from what I have heard Aranda say or someone else saying about him, that he has an ego that will generate friction with anyone or motivate him to believe anything other than that he is an employee of the company, one that should not expect the company to be run for him.
I agree that he won't allow anyone with an ego bigger than his to be at the school. The good news is:

1. He has an enormous ego
2. Aranda seems to be as humble as they come

Therefore I think it has a good shot of working out. Case in point another great coach with humility and quiet strength: Scott Drew.

I'm a huge fan of Mack the AD and not a fan of Mack the person, but he a great AD, there's no doubt about that. It can be an ugly job where difficult decisions are made. He came into an almost untenable situation. Someone with less self-belief wouldn't have even taken the job. The flip side of that is that he's a guy who always needs to be the "star of the show", but as long as he keeps hiring smartly, that's OK. I'd rather have an effective AD who is a bit of a narcissist and hires coaches that represent the University with dignity and humility than the opposite.
TinFoilHatPreacherBear
Jack Bauer said:

I hope Dave does not have an affinity for Pacific NW weather or Nike.
hah!

Yep, still waiting on that extension to be announced. Seems like we'd have that done already.
TomW
Ever done a mortgage? It takes time. Also, if Aranda is happy and knows he's staying and there is good will it doesn't have to be a rush. Oddly enough they take cues from your stress level.
Jack Bauer
When you've moved your family this many times, sometimes it's nice to just settle in for a while and finally enjoy the fruits of your labor. ($$$)

COACHING EXPERIENCE
1995 Redlands (Calif.) High School (defensive coordinator/linebackers/offensive line)
1996-99 California Lutheran (linebackers)
2000-02 Texas Tech (graduate assistant)
2003-04 Houston (linebackers)
2005-06 California Lutheran (defensive coordinator/linebackers)
2007 Delta State (co-defensive coordinator/secondary)
2008-11 Hawai'i (defensive line, 2008-09; defensive coordinator, 2010-11)
2012 Utah State (defensive coordinator)
2013-15 Wisconsin (defensive coordinator/inside linebackers)
2016-19 LSU (associate head coach/defensive coordinator/linebackers)
2020- Baylor (head coach)
91Rob
Just when it seems things are settled, another domino falls and Aranda's name gets put at the top of the list again. Now Oregon, who of course has big Nike money. Then even if Oregon gets filled by another big name, that will leave ANOTHER place open. Ready for a long term extension to be in place and put the speculation to rest for at least a little while.
TomW
91Rob said:

Just when it seems things are settled, another domino falls and Aranda's name gets put at the top of the list again. Now Oregon, who of course has big Nike money. Then even if Oregon gets filled by another big name, that will leave ANOTHER place open. Ready for a long term extension to be in place and put the speculation to rest for at least a little while.
Things are settled. Baylor is fine in all cases. And if you remember Rhule was offered both Baylor and Oregon and chose Baylor so there is precedent in the case of Oregon.
PartyBear
Aranda at this time is not interested in leaving. There were three true blue bloods open in the last month, USC, ND and OU none of them drew Aranda or Fickell either for that matter away from where they are.

I personally find that great for the XII.
Dia del DougO
PartyBear said:

Aranda at this time is not interested in leaving. There were three true blue bloods open in the last month, USC, ND and OU none of them drew Aranda or Fickell either for that matter away from where they are.

I personally find that great for the XII.
Don't be tryna statman our coach away.

"The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool."
Dia del DougO
I wonder if Dave has ever sat down and had a long heart to heart talk abut coaching at Baylor with Grant Teaff. Seems like there could be some common ground there.
"The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool."
PartyBear
Well I did qualify it as "at this time" .
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.